ADVERTISEMENT

Players Can't Hide You Either

So somebody got butthurt over the record comment, we have the worst fans in college. Don’t bother saying how amazing bbn is, for anything it contributes it takes twice of it away with stupidity.

What's silly about it? All coaches make mistakes. It's pretty ignorant to say players can't hide a coach because of the occasional mistake when there isn't a coach around who doesn't.

I think some of Cal's mistakes are more than occasional . Just my opinion.

Coach CAL is the best college coach in the USA for the first 35 minutes. below average in the last five minutes for the last ten years.

And I'm OK with some moves our head coach makes that I dont agree with . Meaning Cal is still my guy , the cats are still my team , and I hope we get this stuff figured out before its too late ( NIT)

Reactions: brianpoe
It's not the players' fault when a coach puts a questionable player in, on the road against a top 10 team, and with momentum and just taking a lead. That's a coaching error, period. Cal says he can't hide a player's deficiencies. Well... I argue they can't be responsible for his errors in coaching (which yes, are absolutely only occasional)
What was he suppose to do? Again, SGA had 4 fouls with roughly 4 - 5 min left. The game was still one possession at that point. Either let him play and draw the 5th which hurts way more, especially if we manage to get to OT, or play your other guard who only had 2 fouls. It's a crap situation, but you have to make the decision in the moment. Had he kept SGA in you would just be bitching he didn't protect him from a 5th foul. Some people just look for things to complain over.

I've been saying what the OP is saying for years. No structure, no adjustments, just work harder, have each other's back, and out athlete the other team. It's worked pretty good for awhile now, but it's not working this year. And instead of trying to adapt to what he has, he's just been doing the same things.

What was he suppose to do? Again, SGA had 4 fouls with roughly 4 - 5 min left. The game was still one possession at that point. Either let him play and draw the 5th which hurts way more, especially if we manage to get to OT, or play your other guard who only had 2 fouls. It's a crap situation, but you have to make the decision in the moment. Had he kept SGA in you would just be bitching he didn't protect him from a 5th foul. Some people just look for things to complain over.
You can argue 'what its', and I see your point, but that decision cost this team a much needed win.

I didn't read after the first quarter of page one, so if this has been said I apologize....

Why in the hell cant a poster post his/her feelings on coach without another poster going ape shit crazy on the OP, or poster voicing concern on coach?

I believe, if a poster bashed coach, then go full steam and get his back of you choose. If a poster voices his concern or opinion in a reasonable manner and you don't agree - by all means, compose a post with your retort. But don't attack the poster as being an idiot; don't go in attack mode and toss out troll. Just post your reasoning why original poster is wrong. Seems easy.

But hey, I've done it myself, so who am I to talk! Sometimes I read this board and envision thousands of fist fights over bullshit. Crazy.

Messageboard courage. Same reason online trolls would never go to an arcade where their bs would get them hit in the mouth.

Not ragging on you. But, what game was it they had 6(six) turnovers from walking alone(along with other games walking calls). I don't think that needs to be coached at this level.

But clearly it does need to be coached if it's happening. He needs to be calling walks in practice if they don't know how to not walk. Just because he shouldn't have to doesn't mean he shouldn't.

Like which ones?

Poe answered pretty much what I would say .. little time management the last 3 minutes of games . Refusal to zone up more this year . Wont go zone against baseline OOB plays , Wont run a set play on the O end to score in the OOB set , Wont run more set plays with off the ball screens . You are free to argue he does a great job in those areas . I mean , its a message board and I'm at work .

You can argue 'what its', and I see your point, but that decision cost this team a much needed win.
I disagree. I think he had them poised to finish and then fell apart, as has been the narrative during these last several games. He can't finish it for them. At a certain point they have to listen to the same coaching staff than put them in position to be able to compete for it the last few minutes.

Messageboard courage. Same reason online trolls would never go to an arcade where their bs would get them hit in the mouth.

Lol, a kid who wanted to fight me wanted to meet at the old arcade in Fayette Mall when I was 14, he spit in my face and I knocked his front two teeth out....

Just as 2 state troopers were walking by....

@Poetax was not very happy with that level of idiocy, which wouldn't be my last regretfully...

Poe answered pretty much what I would say .. little time management the last 3 minutes of games . Refusal to zone up more this year . Wont go zone against baseline OOB plays , Wont run a set play on the O end to score in the OOB set , Wont run more set plays with off the ball screens . You are free to argue he does a great job in those areas . I mean , its a message board and I'm at work .
He can teach them and tell them until he's dead, they are the ones who have to execute it.

I disagree. I think he had them poised to finish and then fell apart, as has been the narrative during these last several games. He can't finish it for them. At a certain point they have to listen to the same coaching staff than put them in position to be able to compete for it the last few minutes.

They are lacking toughness and mental fortitude, not sure Cal can transfer that, but this team just really needs an entire year in the system, we will be better next season.

I think Cal has struggled with how to coach a few of these, not to mention injuries and differing lineups and just total lack of fundamental skills and IQ

But he has to figure it out. Dont expect it this season, but i very much do next year.

Last edited:
Yes, let's blame the hall of fame coach who has far more success than not and was just a couple of points away from another final four last year, over the players who turn the basketball over non-stop, wouldn't know an offense if it hit them in the ****ing face and occasionally have spans of just little to no effort.

So many people on this board have been sitting around for 9 years waiting for this to happen, you all are worse than opposing fans. No matter how much success he has it's not enough, and when he hits a bump in the road now he's Johnny Jones all of a sudden.

K has won 2 titles to Cal's one, but he also has multiple first and 2nd round embarrassing losses to lower tier opponents. Self chokes constantly, as does Miller. Roy cheats. Boeheim might as well be retired. Pitino, well we all know but Cal owned him anyway.

Shit happens, Cal is trying to take a team with literally zero experience and turn them into something in the best conference. We did all bitch and moan about the league being trash and now we got what we wanted. It's not fun to watch at all and it has me throwing shit against the wall every game but our HoF coach's in game coaching ability is not to blame.

Yes, but reaching them and getting them to listen and execute is why he's paid millions of dollars per year. It's literally his job to make that happen.
So do all the other high paid coaches reach all of their players every year. Do all the high paid executives in the world always get their employees to perform at the highest level?

They are lacking toughness and mental fortitude, not sure Cal can transfer that, but this team just really needs an entire year in the system, we will be better next season.

I think Cal has struggles with how to coach a few of these, not to mention injuries and differing lineups and just total lack of fundamental skills and IQ

But he has to figure it out. Dont expect it this season, but i very much do next year.
Exactly, but with time and experience and a couple offense playmakers we have coming, it should be quite a special season.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
Yes, let's blame the hall of fame coach who has far more success than not and was just a couple of points away from another final four last year, over the players who turn the basketball over non-stop, wouldn't know an offense if it hit them in the ****ing face and occasionally have spans of just little to no effort.
I applaud your continuous and non-wavering effort to defend Cal. It is admirable.
So do all the other high paid coaches reach all of their players every year. Do all the high paid executives in the world always get their employees to perform at the highest level?
No, but when they are having a bad year, are those coaches and executives above criticism and questioning? We will see what happens moving forward with this team. I hope like hell they all start clicking (players and coaches) and this thing gets turned around. If we stay on the same path, it is fair game to criticize and question all involved in a manner that is not demeaning. We all want answers as to what the hell is going on this year. We aren't entitled to them, but we all want them. Everyone has their own opinion, some educated, some not.

Why do you constantly argue 'what ifs' and 'what about other people'. I was under the assumption we were talking about Cal and what's actually happening right now with this team.

Reactions: RipThru
Why do you constantly argue 'what ifs' and 'what about other people'. I was under the assumption we were talking about Cal and what's actually happening right now with this team.
Why do you hold Cal to a different standard of everyone else?

A famous Cal quote is that he can't hide the players if they aren't performing. Well, players can't hide the coach after pretty bad coaching either. I really like Cal, I do, but his actual coaching ability is starting to be exposed I think. Anyone can just roll the ball out there with the talent he usually has, but a team like this needs actual coaching, and it doesn't seem like that's happening. I'm a UK fan, and I want a coach that coaches for UK wins, not a coach who's priority is turning an 18 year into a millionaire.
Most fans tolerated the Cal rhetoric that he’s only concerned about the players, and not winning or the Kentucky tradition. He was widely successful with his method, so we kind of grinned and bared it when he things like “This is the greatest night in UK basketball history”.

Well, now that the one and done method has been taken over by Duke, and we’re struggling to make the tournament, or to win a game now for that matter, Cal has to adjust his approach. The fans, at least me, would be just fine having a year like this season, as long as we knew the future looked great. Well, that’s the problem right now. We don’t know what kind of future we have to look forward to, and neither does Cal.
That’s why a lot of reasonable fans are at least somewhat pissed off.

Look, this offseason could be the adjustment from Cal we’re looking for. But if it goes bad, the future of this program will be disturbingly uncertain.

Good post SemperFi.

Most fans tolerated the Cal rhetoric that he’s only concerned about the players, and not winning or the Kentucky tradition. He was widely successful with his method, so we kind of grinned and bared it when he things like “This is the greatest night in UK basketball history”.

Well, now that the one and done method has been taken over by Duke, and we’re struggling to make the tournament, or to win a game now for that matter, Cal has to adjust his approach. The fans, at least me, would be just fine having a year like this season, as long as we knew the future looked great. Well, that’s the problem right now. We don’t know what kind of future we have to look forward to, and neither does Cal.
That’s why a lot of reasonable fans are at least somewhat pissed off.

Look, this offseason could be the adjustment from Cal we’re looking for. But if it goes bad, the future of this program will be disturbingly uncertain.

Good post SemperFi.
Good post!

We need the Cal from the nineties. He was hungry and could motivate guys to play their hardest. He developed guys, ran smart offenses and was a b&$@&$ to coach against. That's the Cal we need.

Reactions: ManitouDan
I applaud your continuous and non-wavering effort to defend Cal. It is admirable.

No, but when they are having a bad year, are those coaches and executives above criticism and questioning? We will see what happens moving forward with this team. I hope like hell they all start clicking (players and coaches) and this thing gets turned around. If we stay on the same path, it is fair game to criticize and question all involved in a manner that is not demeaning. We all want answers as to what the hell is going on this year. We aren't entitled to them, but we all want them. Everyone has their own opinion, some educated, some not.
When they criticsm doesn't belong on them, no.
What answers do you need? Are you not able to watch and figure out they aren't a great team. Are you not able figure out they are incredibly young, inexperienced, fundamentally not sound for college level players?
What do you honestly think is being kept from you or anyone else?
A poster implying the players can't hide the hall of fame coach is pretty demeaning, no?

He can teach them and tell them until he's dead, they are the ones who have to execute it.

A few of the things are obvious Cal just doesnt invest in . OOB stuff on D and O .. end of game management , staying in the zone you keep trying to cover for him on a FEW shortcomings saying its the players , and yes , some of it is , and some of this is simply on Cal.

When they criticsm doesn't belong on them, no.
What answers do you need? Are you not able to watch and figure out they aren't a great team. Are you not able figure out they are incredibly young, inexperienced, fundamentally not sound for college level players?
What do you honestly think is being kept from you or anyone else?
A poster implying the players can't hide the hall of fame coach is pretty demeaning, no?
You're acting as if Cal is infallible. Like he's never had a young team before. You realize it's ok to question why, if he's usually been able to to it under basically the same cirmustances, he's not doing it this season. It's mid Feb. It's also ok to question some in game coaching decisions. Cal isn't a god. It's ok, as a fan, to question the coach. But as you keep saying, he's a HOFer, so I guess he's without question, right?

A few of the things are obvious Cal just doesnt invest in . OOB stuff on D and O .. end of game management , staying in the zone you keep trying to cover for him on a FEW shortcomings saying its the players , and yes , some of it is , and some of this is simply on Cal.
You forgot practicing and emphasizing FTs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT