ADVERTISEMENT

Strategy (building a team) versus Tactics (coaching)

Jan 28, 2004
Jay Wrights comments about you can't win championships with freshmen got me to thinking about what is the real deficiency with Cal and can it be corrected. Both strategy and tactics ultimately are his responsibility, so the failures are his fault, but strategy can be fixed. I'm not sure tactics (coaching) can be. So what do you think is largest contributing factor to Cal's decline? Is it his strategy of relying too much on freshman talent and not enough on experienced and mature players, or is poor coaching? Looking back at his past, he always had very good defensive teams, but as the age of college players have gotten older, and his teams have gotten younger, his defenses have looked worse. That is consistent with Jay Wright's point that freshman play like freshmen, irrespective of how you coach. That makes me think his reliance on youth has played the largest role in his decline as a coach. In other words, his largest failing is the strategy he uses to build his roster to compete with other teams, and probably to lesser degree his actual coaching, or tactics he uses game to game.

Poor scouting and team building beyond the poor on court coaching. Not only does he bring in guys not ready to contribute but they also don’t want to be here for the most part. On top of that the existence of those guys as commits (and his reputation for favoring them) costs us chances at good portal options (like Keshod Johnson and David Jones last spring).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT