ADVERTISEMENT

What an odd 16 years

Apr 12, 2024
From Tubbys departure in 2007 to where we are today has been such a weird experience. Regardless of Cal's Championship in 2012 (which on paper we should've won more), it's so strange how a program like ours lost it's identity and character on the court.

The most excited I was during Cal's tenure was watching the highlight videos of John Wall, Eric Bledsoe and Demarcus Cousins in their high school games when they committed to UK. I remember watching those like holy **** this is the best thing ever. The most exciting thing prior to Cal was reaching out to Gillespie's players on Facebook to congratulate them on a nice game or play and they'd actually respond because they weren't even sure how they were playing at UK in first place. To be fair, I wasn't sure either why they were there or why the coach was there. We were all on the same page.

In summary, I like that Cal did decide to leave. I can't define his tenure as successful to the fan base and university. He defined success as getting players to the league and that's fine but if that was the the primary objective he could coach a G League or Development League Team. We're all here to see banners hung, championships won and to see the players succeed in life as players or in professional careers.

The best news I heard was Cal leaving and a change in identity. I don't care if the next coach goes 0-30 or 30-0 we've reached a point in which the program identity needed a change. I knew the coaching search was troublesome when I was hoping Bruce Pearl would be the one. The villain coaching the Monstars in SpaceJam would've probably thrived at UK and reconstructed the most hated dynasty in college basketball. He could've handled the fanbase, pressure and has shown he thrives in it.

From Tubbys end, to Gillespies drunken disaster, to Cal's failed coaching and gameplans with the best talent in the history of college basketball, here we are hoping we have a roster and a UK level team on the court next year.

I know everyone that read that is saying "no ****" but being outside of Kentucky I just need some "you're right" or "exactlys" to make me feel normal about my view on the last 16 years.

- A long time fan in NC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT