ADVERTISEMENT

Players Can't Hide You Either

So no?

They're incredibly young and inexperienced and had unrealistic expectations placed on them by incredibly ignorant fans who like to just throw shit out there for attention. They are also the same fans that when questioned about their statements or opinions can never support them and try to divert away, such as @SemperFiCat

This far into a season the young thing is out the window. If you think this fall is do to experience, then you don't know basketball. Something else is going on. Sometimes it looks like Cal is trying to force a square peg in a round hole with these guys. It is Cal and his staffs position to put these guys in position to be successful and win. He just hasn't done that with this team. These guys have no identity. Is that Cals fault ? Maybe. You would think at this point in the season, each guy would know there role. None do. Thats mental. Thats on the coaching staff.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
This far into a season the young thing is out the window. If you think this fall is do to experience, then you don't know basketball. Something else is going on. Sometimes it looks like Cal is trying to force a square peg in a round hole with these guys. It is Cal and his staffs position to put these guys in position to be successful and win. He just hasn't done that with this team. These guys have no identity. Is that Cals fault ? Maybe. You would think at this point in the season, each guy would know there role. None do. Thats mental. Thats on the coaching staff.
Not really , they are still young, raw and inexperienced. They have no leadership on the team, and look shellshocked for periods of every game and fall apart when it's clutch. All signs of young teams. The coaches can prepare them all day long, but it's on them to execute it. If a teacher prepares a kid \ for a test and the kid gets the same questions right on all the practice test, is it the teachers fault when he goes in and answers it incorrectly on the test? At a certain point we can't keep coddling the players and making excuses for them. They have to be the ones to go out and execute. If the staff isn't preparing them or teaching them then obviously that's on the staff, but considering the coaches track record against that of the players, I have a really hard time believing it's his fault.

It's not the players' fault when a coach puts a questionable player in, on the road against a top 10 team, and with momentum and just taking a lead. That's a coaching error, period. Cal says he can't hide a player's deficiencies. Well... I argue they can't be responsible for his errors in coaching (which yes, are absolutely only occasional)
Yes he may have made a mistake but you cannot know that until after the fact .

Putting a entire team together outside of 3 players that are athletes and can't shoot to save their lives. They also have no basketball knowledge. They just have relied on their athletic ability to excel. When you have a team like that, you better be able to coach your ass off to put the limited players you do have that can score in position to do so. Cal has been unable to do that.

Cal has been unable to run a successful half court offense. It is very painful to watch. High pick for SGA and hope for the best. Oh and the pick is set by Richards or Washington who are no threat to score and pulls them away from rebounding. How about let Knox set the pick so he can roll for a open 3 pointer? We have so many players on the court that can not put the ball in the basket it really limits our offense. Cal ran Knox off some curls last night that got him semi open. I would like to see Green run off some picks since he is one of our best outside shooters. But every game it does not come. He scored 15 points off the bench a few games ago and Diallo still started. Diallo-ugh I am not going to say anything about him at this time other than Call needs to cut the rope.

Cal has been unable to have this team to successfully guard a pick and roll. Every game they
are lost in the sauce. How do you not come out of the locker room knowing how to defend this? Less than 10 games left of the season and we have no clue. Hedge or not hedge, switch??? Who knows. I wish they would trap every ball screen. I think they would get some deflections which could lead to some turnovers. Sure they would pass out of it some and score. But it can't get much worse then they do now. Which consist of anything including running away from the best shooters in the SEC to left them shoot.

Out of bounds plays

We get scored on this at LEAST once a game, every game. Most games it is multiple times. Cal wants to play man to man so bad he will give up these baskets. Zero adjustments. It is totally embarrassing. Play a zone and make them throw over the top. That is a lot better then giving up open dunks and 10 foot jump shots.

Our out of bounds plays

My goodness... you can't even call them that. They should be called PJ hold out your arm and ty to lob it in. No picks are set, no movement. Just get the Ball in play so we can run our beautiful offense. It is pathetic. About two games ago maybe it was the Tennessee game. Cal came out of a timeout and ran a set play for Knox. He came around a curl for a lob and he dunked it. It is the same play and only play we have scored off of the past several years.
Why don't we run it more and often? Why don't we have more plays to get open? Especially when the other team is scoring at will when they take the ball out.

These are a few inabilities I find from our HOF coach. It was pretty interesting.... er depressing.

I can remember when Cal used to run some of the best offensive sets. He was creative and motivating. This Cal, don't know him. He has gotten lazy with all of this talent that he has had in the past, talent that can erase mistakes with pure athletic talent. He needs to open up his UMass play book.

I can remember when Cal used to run some of the best offensive sets. He was creative and motivating. This Cal, don't know him. He has gotten lazy with all of this talent that he has had in the past, talent that can erase mistakes with pure athletic talent. He needs to open up his UMass play book.

Different time with veteran kids.... big difference.

A famous Cal quote is that he can't hide the players if they aren't performing. Well, players can't hide the coach after pretty bad coaching either. I really like Cal, I do, but his actual coaching ability is starting to be exposed I think. Anyone can just roll the ball out there with the talent he usually has, but a team like this needs actual coaching, and it doesn't seem like that's happening. I'm a UK fan, and I want a coach that coaches for UK wins, not a coach who's priority is turning an 18 year into a millionaire.

Good God

I actually think it was a solid, witty post in regards to not being able to hide Cal behind a bunch of talent.

We all know he can coach but this year has forced him to really bust his ass, and Im sure he has but we havent seen any results that it has gotten through.

Of course the marine and i differ on Cal's obsession with winning which is evident with him almost having a heart attack each game. Im still with the make the kids the best they can be and the team should reap the benefits.

Not so much this season as we simply lack talent, fundamentals, and weird roster make up.

Last edited:
You're on fire!

Caaal caaaainnt coooaaach!!

giphy.gif

I actually think it was a solid, witty post in regards to not being able to hide Cal behind a bunch of talent.

We all know he can coach but this year has forced him to really bust his ass, and Im sure he has but we havent seen any results that it has gotten through.

Of course the marine and i differ on Cal's obsession with winning which evident with him almost having a heart attack each game. Im still with the make the kids the best they can be and the team should reap the benefits.

Not so much this season as we simply lack talent, fundamentals, and weird roster make up.

Any coach would lose with this roster. Any.

We are ultra ultra ultra young, and we don’t have supreme talent. Where is our leadership? This team was thrown together in one class. We returned 4.7ppg from last years team that lost 6 games. What did people think would happen? I cannot read the Cal can’t coach garbage anymore. The real problem is we aren’t getting TOP recruits, and our roster turnover is that of a glorified 1 year NBA farm team. All of that is on Cal, and it’s why we are struggling. Cal didn’t forget how to coach over night. How in the hell can a dude that can’t coach come into Rupp Arena with UMASS, and beat our best team of all time? I’m done listening to the insanely stupid argument.

Reactions: brianpoe
ADVERTISEMENT