ADVERTISEMENT

Players Can't Hide You Either

I can give you one, he is stubborn and you have to hit him upside the head with a 50lb bag of horse shoes to get him to change some things. His offensive system is too free flowing for this bunch, they do not have the skill, nor the IQ to run it, yet he still has not put in more set plays to give them more structure. His refusal to play zone until this year and even this year there were times he refused to play zone when his guards were getting beat off the bounce repeatedly. Not having under the basket inbounds plays, which can provide at times 3 to 5 easy baskets during the game.
I'll agree he is stubborn, but rightfully so. His approach has worked more times than it hasn't, but adjustments could help.
I think we've played zone quite a bit this year, albeit reluctantly at first, but we can't play it for entire games or it becomes ineffective.
We have plays, they just can't run them correctly. At a certain point that's just on the players.

One of the downsides of one and dones is some years they aren't that great. The #4 player in one class isn't the same as another year. This year we are relying on one of those classes that just isn't great. Is Cal to blame? Maybe, but he has a team that is what it is. There is no magic wand he can wave now. Teams just have better talent than UK's team of freshman.

Is it too much to ask to running a %$#(&%%$^&$#@@#$#^$^^^$^$^$^@$%^@@@$^*((() Out of bounds play instead the statue play ? Every possession is important , how many we give away a game ? Going zone longer in a few games adds a win or two .. you dont have to make 8 mil a year to know this .

Reactions: Fox2monk
His end of game coaching during close games has been a major let down this year. I think we can all agree on that.
I'm not saying he's perfect, no coach is, but at a certain point the players have to perform. He can't dribble, shoot, not turn it over and not foul for them.

Reactions: letitrainuk
So no?

They're incredibly young and inexperienced and had unrealistic expectations placed on them by incredibly ignorant fans who like to just throw shit out there for attention. They are also the same fans that when questioned about their statements or opinions can never support them and try to divert away, such as @SemperFiCat
I would give a plus one if there was such a thing. You are spot on my friend and I'm included as far as heaping high expectations on them. That's on me.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Again, there's only one person alive that thought putting Hami back in, at that point in the game, was a good decision.
Had the 3 actually fallen there is a strong chance most people on this board would be singing his praises today. It's only bad when it doesn't work out. Hami is a fine player, who's stats indicate he is one of the better players on the team and has a ton of upside. He will only learn and improve with experience and you don't get it on the bench. I know he's the ignorant fan's whipping boy this season, but we have several other giving far less than Hami.

Reactions: JoeBeeHall
Not calling a timeout last week with 15 seconds and the ball to try and win is up there.

We'd have drawn up the same play we ran: SGA getting to the rim. The kid turned it over twice. All you can do is run your most effective play for your best player. Freshmen make mistakes. He made them in big moments. We lost.

Cal took the blame for him, but SGA owned it himself and said it's on him. It is. He messed up. That's how it goes sometimes. He's still our guy in that moment. No one makes them all.

And Cal had to put Diallo back in for a second last night because we have three guards and Quade had just made back to back mistakes on both ends of the court.

At some point, a player has to do something right. If they don't make a shot or get a rebound or if they make a stupid decision or foul, you just lose. That's what's happening to us. We're just not very good.

Hami missed. Gabriel missed. Washington missed and was hit with an awful call. All were good looks drawn up by a magical genie lurking in the stands somewhere.

But we're always young and inexperienced, right? But a a four game slide late in the season hasn't happened before. All I'm saying is this isn't entirely on the players.
I agree it’s on the entire team players and coaches. And Diallo is sucking right now but we only have 2 other guards, he has shown before he can play and that 3 attempt up by 4 was a good look and was half way down. If it goes in every commends him on how he’s battling through his slump but since it didn’t go in everyone wants to get rid of him. I was more concerned on how I perceive Knox gave up the last 4 minutes. I Love Knox but his defense last night was the worst of anyone with significant minutes and in the end instead of lifting the team up... he pouted.

I'm not saying he's perfect, no coach is, but at a certain point the players have to perform. He can't dribble, shoot, not turn it over and not foul for them.
But he can put them in the best position to win, which he hasn't done. No need to keep TO's in your pocket when you have toddlers out there running around with their heads cut off looking for guidance and resorting to one on one play leading to a turnover. Call a TO, settle down the kids, and run a set play to get a good look. These kids are too immature to "play through it". If you want to experiment and let them play through it at the beginning of the year, fine. But it clearly isn't working. Just because it may have worked with another group, doesn't mean it will with this group. Change, adapt, do what is best for this team. Don't be stuck in your ways because it may have worked with another group.

Last edited:
A famous Cal quote is that he can't hide the players if they aren't performing. Well, players can't hide the coach after pretty bad coaching either. I really like Cal, I do, but his actual coaching ability is starting to be exposed I think. Anyone can just roll the ball out there with the talent he usually has, but a team like this needs actual coaching, and it doesn't seem like that's happening. I'm a UK fan, and I want a coach that coaches for UK wins, not a coach who's priority is turning an 18 year into a millionaire.

Oh, the old "just roll the ball out there" argument. Well, there has been coach after coach that has discredited that theory. It just isn't so. As for the coaching, this team does not seem to accept coaching, like other UK teams have. Kids have to take coaching on to the floor, or it seems like no coaching is being done, and that is the case here. Cal didn't go from winning 4 final fours in 6 years to these results, overnight. It is the kids.

Had the 3 actually fallen there is a strong chance most people on this board would be singing his praises today. It's only bad when it doesn't work out. Hami is a fine player, who's stats indicate he is one of the better players on the team and has a ton of upside. He will only learn and improve with experience and you don't get it on the bench. I know he's the ignorant fan's whipping boy this season, but we have several other giving far less than Hami.
I think you're forgetting the two bad turnovers during that time span.

Can you name a top coach who's teams never had a down year or even a few down years?
Well, Puke hasn't been to an NIT since 1981. Hasn't missed the tournament since 1995. Before that they missed in 1982 and 1983.

Calipari at UK is staring at a possible second tournament miss in 5 years.

Guess it depends on what one calls a "down year".

Oh, the old "just roll the ball out there" argument. Well, there has been coach after coach that has discredited that theory. It just isn't so. As for the coaching, this team does not seem to accept coaching, like other UK teams have. Kids have to take coaching on to the floor, or it seems like no coaching is being done, and that is the case here. Cal didn't go from winning 4 final fours in 6 years to these results, overnight. It is the kids.
I hear your logic, and I agree. But isn't it the coach's job the build a team and get kids to function as a team? I understand a coach can only do so much, but isn't that a coach's job?

A famous Cal quote is that he can't hide the players if they aren't performing. Well, players can't hide the coach after pretty bad coaching either. I really like Cal, I do, but his actual coaching ability is starting to be exposed I think. Anyone can just roll the ball out there with the talent he usually has, but a team like this needs actual coaching, and it doesn't seem like that's happening. I'm a UK fan, and I want a coach that coaches for UK wins, not a coach who's priority is turning an 18 year into a millionaire.
I am not saying you are right or wrong, but coaches are born to be fired. He has been doing this for 30 years and has been fired once. the pros where his coaching doesn't translate. He worked UMass and Memphis for god's sake. How did he hide in those hell holes?

Well, Puke hasn't been to an NIT since 1981. Hasn't missed the tournament since 1995. Before that they missed in 1982 and 1983.

Guess it depends on what one calls a "down year".
Give us Puke's officiating and I bet we have the same record if not better..

Lol, why don't you articulate a few of these inabilities you think our Hall of Fame head coach has? This should be interesting........

Gspot, I'll be happy to. Basic basketball is something we're not seeing at UK. Have you ever seen a screen set by the center on the guard's man, and then when the guard goes around the screen, the center rolls to the basket, setting up a two on one? Have you ever seen a guard, who doesn't have the ball, set a screen on a forward's man, and the forward then cutting to the basket, around his man, for a back-door cut.. How many times have we seen the man driving the ball, on the so-called dribble drive, and kick it out to a wide open forward, whose feet are set, and waiting on a pass?

Different teams have to be coached different. This team is unlike some of our past teams, but yet, it appears Coach Cal is coaching them the same. Drive to the basket and throw it up. Do we have some shooters, yes, Green, Gabriel and Knox. Do we have some drivers, yes, Diallo, Alexander and Knox. We have some big men under the boards, Richards, Vanderbilt and Washington. Alexander is NOT a point guard in my opinion. Green is the closest we have to being a point guard, but I'm not sure he knows what is expected of him.

Starting Gabriel I think is a good thing. It gives some leadership to the team, which I don't think we had before. I believe Cal's ego has caused him to go with starting five Freshmen much to long. If that wasn't the case, why are we always hearing about starting five Freshmen, how young they are, etc.

I am not a Coach Cal hater, I do not want to see him gone. I also am not a hater of fans on here who don't agree with Coach Cal. There are some very knowledgeable fans on here, such as Semper Fi, Brianpoe, and many others. Sometimes coaches try and put a square peg in a round hole. I think most of us are set in our ways, to some degree. Your probably the only one who thinks your perfect, just as I'm the only one who thinks I'm perfect. LOL! Well, I keep trying to tell my wife of 57 years I'm perfect, but I don't believe she's buying that $hit.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Give us Puke's officiating and I bet we have the same record if not better..
Cal does that 100% of the time and it works out more often than not. He says you don't want to give the D a chance to regroup and set up. Have you been paying attention. I don't recall whining when it works

I think you're forgetting the two bad turnovers during that time span.
His turnover came after the missed 3. He let it affect him more than it should have, that doesn't make a player bad. SGA turned it over twice in a previous game in the last minute. Does he suck? She he be forced to the bench?

Not calling a timeout last week with 15 seconds and the ball to try and win is up there.

Man that was awful. How are the players suppose to know Time and Situation when the Coach doesn't know it. And, this wasn't the first time he's held on to timeouts with this team in key situations.

Duke hasn't been to an NIT is misleading. They were 13-18 in 1995. That's a hell of a lot worse than any season Coach Cal has had at Kentucky. Or will ever have for that matter.

Guess it depends on what one calls
But he can put them in the best position to win, which he hasn't done. No need to keep TO's in your pocket when you have toddlers out there running around with their heads cut off looking for guidance and resorting to one on one play leading to a turnover. Call a TO, settle down the kids, and run a set play to get a good look. These kids are too immature to "play through it". If you want to experiment and let them play through it at the beginning of the year, fine. But it clearly isn't working. Just because it may have worked with another group, doesn't mean it will with this group. Change, adapt, do what is best for this team. Don't be stuck in your ways because it may have worked with another group.
We've been in position to win all but maybe 2 games this year in the last 5 minutes and just fallen apart. What more can he do to put them there besides play for them?

Name a coach who doesn't make mistakes?

You are being silly . Its the ownership of the mistakes that might separate a few coaches . For the most part Cal owns up to his gaffes . Other times not ( OOB plays , refusal to stay with a zone , some PT decisions)

Reactions: brianpoe
His turnover came after the missed 3. He let it affect him more than it should have, that doesn't make a player bad. SGA turned it over twice in a previous game in the last minute. Does he suck? She he be forced to the bench?
My argument is (and I think 99.9% of BBN would agree) is that Hami should have never been put back in, and certainly not at that moment. I'm not bashing the player.

Cal does that 100% of the time and it works out more often than not. He says you don't want to give the D a chance to regroup and set up. Have you been paying attention. I don't recall whining when it works
AKA he's stubborn as hell and doesn't want to change his ways because if they worked in the past, they have to work now and in the future. Not every team is the same. Everyone and their mother can see that we are struggling mightily this year in close, late game scenarios.

AKA he's stubborn as hell and doesn't want to change his ways because if they worked in the past, they have to work now and in the future. Not every team is the same. Everyone and their mother can see that we are struggling mightily this year in close, late game scenarios.

And not many HOF coaches with his success want to change either, it makes sense.

But I think he will, regardless of how stubborn he is, he does own up to mistakes... Skal, the need to go zone, etc

Reactions: MWes11
I am not a Coach Cal hater, I do not want to see him gone. I also am not a hater of fans on here who don't agree with Coach Cal. There are some very knowledgeable fans on here, such as Semper Fi, Brianpoe, and many others. Sometimes coaches try and put a square peg in a round hole. I think most of us are set in our ways, to some degree. Your probably the only one who thinks your perfect, just as I'm the only one who thinks I'm perfect. LOL! Well, I keep trying to tell my wife of 57 years I'm perfect, but I don't believe she's buying that $hit.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
You lost me with these.

You are being silly . Its the ownership of the mistakes that might separate a few coaches . For the most part Cal owns up to his gaffes . Other times not ( OOB plays , refusal to stay with a zone , some PT decisions)
What's silly about it? All coaches make mistakes. It's pretty ignorant to say players can't hide a coach because of the occasional mistake when there isn't a coach around who doesn't.

My argument is (and I think 99.9% of BBN would agree) is that Hami should have never been put back in, and certainly not at that moment. I'm not bashing the player.
SGA had 4 fouls and green is the only other guard on the roster. Sometimes you just have limited options and have to go with it. If we had managed to stay in it and go to OT we would have needed SGA to not be fouled out.

I didn't read after the first quarter of page one, so if this has been said I apologize....

Why in the hell cant a poster post his/her feelings on coach without another poster going ape shit crazy on the OP, or poster voicing concern on coach?

I believe, if a poster bashed coach, then go full steam and get his back of you choose. If a poster voices his concern or opinion in a reasonable manner and you don't agree - by all means, compose a post with your retort. But don't attack the poster as being an idiot; don't go in attack mode and toss out troll. Just post your reasoning why original poster is wrong. Seems easy.

But hey, I've done it myself, so who am I to talk! Sometimes I read this board and envision thousands of fist fights over bullshit. Crazy.

SGA had 4 fouls and green is the only other guard on the roster. Sometimes you just have limited options and have to go with it. If we had managed to stay in it and go to OT we would have needed SGA to not be fouled out.

That is a reasonable take.

Fact is Hami really must do better or sit, regardless of game situations, he cannot spark the other team in the waning moments of a big away win...

What's silly about it? All coaches make mistakes. It's pretty ignorant to say players can't hide a coach because of the occasional mistake when there isn't a coach around who doesn't.
It's not the players' fault when a coach puts a questionable player in, on the road against a top 10 team, and with momentum and just taking a lead. That's a coaching error, period. Cal says he can't hide a player's deficiencies. Well... I argue they can't be responsible for his errors in coaching (which yes, are absolutely only occasional)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT