ADVERTISEMENT

I truly just want to know who was in charge of our game plan against Oakland

KMKAT

All-American
Sep 17, 2003
Duluth
That coach should not be on a D-1 coaching roster ever again.

You had 96 hours to work on a zone and box & 1 for a 3 point shooter. The opponent just told you what they were going to do.

Did you do either? I heard we worked on defense all week. Really? Did we just scrimmage to stay loose?

Did we ever hear who was our game planner against St. Peters? Texas A&M? Is there a continuing trend here?

This should not go unanswered for Cal to hide and just take the blame. Someone needs to be held accountable.

You had 96 hours to work on a zone and box & 1 for a 3 point shooter. The opponent just told you what they were going to do.

Did you do either? I heard we worked on defense all week. Really? Did we just scrimmage to stay loose?

Did we ever hear who was our game planner against St. Peters? Texas A&M? Is there a continuing trend here?

This should not go unanswered for Cal to hide and just take the blame. Someone needs to be held accountable.
Ummm Cal?….

Reactions: ManitouDan
A coach is assigned a team each week to who we might potentially line up against.

Does Cal ignore his assistant's advice?

We had a mid major talk a bunch of shit and call their shot, and we let them do it all. UK, under Cal, does not gameplan for the other team. All we do is focus on ourselves, Cal’s main plan is to “go make a play.”

The players and staff have all changed over the last 4 years, only one constant remains and he is the issue. Until he is gone, this is what UK basketball will be going forward. Fire him and blow it all up. Get the players first mentality out of here and get back to being an actual college program.

There is no game plan, Cal has never had a game plan, roll the ball out Cal can't comprehend an actual game plan. Rick Pitino he is not.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot this year since we actually had the team to win a lot. I know Cal believes he’s the alpha and nobody can question him…but dang…there has to be somebody on that bench who can come up with a plan to stop a 6’ tall white fella from Oakland.

Defensively, we actually had a pretty clear plan. We switch all the guard-to-guard screens so that Gohlke (#3) didn't get open looks. It worked for a bit, but Oakland's coach made the effective "tweak"

They went to their center setting the final screen for Gohlke, which means there's no guard-to-guard switch now. You'd have to use Ugo to switch out or Mitchell to switch out - which wasn't the gameplan, and wasn't something either of these are used to doing. So, as we saw: bam bam bam x 10. Most of those 3s were tough shots, but the exact same shots he's been taking all year.

Might not have made a difference, but I would've went smaller, or went with Bradshaw at the 5 and switch all 5 positions. You'll end up with a guard switched onto Townsend, at which point you'll have to double or stunt

But at the end of the day, the gameplan was to make Gohlke hit tough shots, and he did. I wish there was a better plan at defending Townsend in the post. He's used to being undersized and still scores. Needed a double or a front

The guy that doesn’t watch film and says he’s not ever worried about the other team just our guys, actually had a plan?

Oakland ran a diff zone there was plenty of film on, had a high volume 3pt shooter, and a talented forward. This was basically the only 3 ways they could hurt you and I gathered that info this week in like 10 minutes. UK had no answer for all three scenarios.

• Love
Reactions: Girthang and KMKAT
58ywbtn.png

I wonder eventually if someone that knows a player could ask if they even worked on a zone. My guess is no and just rolled the back out again

Take the blame? Did you not hear? Mr. Players First blamed the players

We had a mid major talk a bunch of shit and call their shot, and we let them do it all. UK, under Cal, does not gameplan for the other team. All we do is focus on ourselves, Cal’s main plan is to “go make a play.”

The players and staff have all changed over the last 4 years, only one constant remains and he is the issue. Until he is gone, this is what UK basketball will be going forward. Fire him and blow it all up. Get the players first mentality out of here and get back to being an actual college program.
I came to Pittsburgh with the real expectation of heidi to the sweet sixteen after Saturdays games.
It was a miserable game, we had no answer for (eddie munster) their 3 point shooter or their 6'6" forward who are our bigs lunch down low.
Our offense was horrible and our guys just seemed ho-hum about winning. They really lacked energy.

Forgive me in advance to any UK fan, but Pittsburgh is an awful place. Beside the whole arena being against us during the game, my son and I were told to go the "F" home and not come back by hecklers. Well, Pittsburgh doesn't have to tell me not to come back. What a dump!!
I'm done with UK basketball til Cow is gone. Hey, I made the decision to spend my money and travel up to this stain of a city. I won't do it again. If we can get rid of this clown of a coach, I will attend again.

One more insult to Pittsburgh, I think it's worse than Knoxville. That's pretty damn bad!!

Proof is in the pudding.

Reed Sheppard would smoke that Gholke kid in a 3-pt shooting contest. Comparing their shooting forms and numbers, it's a no brainer.

Yet, dude goes for 30 on like, what, 14 attempts?

Sheppard took FIVE shots and went 1-5.

How different would this season be if we made it a priority to run some of the same stuff for Rob, Reed, and Reeves that Kampe ran for his dude?

I did think it was funny at the beginning when we got countless looks within like 7 feet that we missed that the announcers would be in the middle of saying you can’t give UK shots that easy only for us to miss them before they could finish saying their point!

I think their game plan was effective at the beginning in getting good shots(wrong players starting but whatever). But when those guys missed those I have no idea what the plan was, outside of a stretch where Tre figured out they had a white guard in the post in the zone.

Reactions: KMKAT and CatsFanIL
Absolutely asinine offense scheme for this game. To beat a zone you need shooters. Reed should have been in from the jump.

It seems that our plan was to attack the middle of the zone with a pass to our bigs and then either take the shot or kick to a slashing wing. We had good looks early from Tre down low that didn’t go. Adou’s lack of coordination prevented any scoring on the cuts but we kept trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

All season long our offense has been our guards Reeves, Dilly and Sheppard and it seems that the scheme in our most important game featured our biggest liabilities all season. Unbelievable.

Reactions: Girthang

You are assuming there was an actual game plan. I know it is so basic that most take it for granted but I really doubt Cal develops a serious game plan beyond hey they have a dude that shoots a ton of threes. Lets run him off the 3 point line.

Kampe and Cal were / are friends. They have to know each other's schemes. One prepared and the other didn't.

We have seen this before. Remember 2010? How many threes did they miss when all they needed to do was drive the ball? Cal is either totally corrupt or totally inept. Either is a fireable offense.

Reactions: wildcatwelder

440px-John_Calipari_%2815536413759%29.jpg

Whatever the game plan WAS.......don't you think we might want to change it up after dipshit accountant superman hit his first 7 threes?

Nah, we'll keep slipping the screens and switching and hoping he starts missing.

Cal is such an incredible stubborn ass. I can't stand it another second. He MUST go.

Reactions: Girthang

For emphasis

I'm 100% sincerely SHOCKED that we didn't hear Cal revert to "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" and "RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN" last night.

Kampe and Cal were / are friends. They have to know each other's schemes. One prepared and the other didn't.

We have seen this before. Remember 2010? How many threes did they miss when all they needed to do was drive the ball? Cal is either totally corrupt or totally inept. Either is a fireable offense.
Man, does this remind me so much of what is going on in our country. I'll leave it there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT