ADVERTISEMENT

Players Can't Hide You Either

SemperFiCat

All-American
Mar 2, 2009
Central Indy
A famous Cal quote is that he can't hide the players if they aren't performing. Well, players can't hide the coach after pretty bad coaching either. I really like Cal, I do, but his actual coaching ability is starting to be exposed I think. Anyone can just roll the ball out there with the talent he usually has, but a team like this needs actual coaching, and it doesn't seem like that's happening. I'm a UK fan, and I want a coach that coaches for UK wins, not a coach who's priority is turning an 18 year into a millionaire.

A famous Cal quote is that he can't hide the players if they aren't performing. Well, players can't hide the coach after pretty bad coaching either. I really like Cal, I do, but his actual coaching ability is starting to be exposed I think. Anyone can just roll the ball out there with the talent he usually has, but a team like this needs actual coaching, and it doesn't seem like that's happening. I'm a UK fan, and I want a coach that coaches for UK wins, not a coach who's priority is turning an 18 year into a millionaire.
Lol, why don't you articulate a few of these inabilities you think our Hall of Fame head coach has? This should be interesting........

Lol, why don't you articulate a few of these inabilities you think our Hall of Fame head coach has? This should be interesting........
You're about the worst poster on this board. How about you articulate why this team has nearly lost five in a row at this point in the season with a HOF coach? This should be entertaining....

You're about the worst poster on this board. How about you articulate why this team has nearly lost five in a row at this point in the season with a HOF coach? This should be entertaining....
So no?

They're incredibly young and inexperienced and had unrealistic expectations placed on them by incredibly ignorant fans who like to just throw shit out there for attention. They are also the same fans that when questioned about their statements or opinions can never support them and try to divert away, such as @SemperFiCat

Nearly? I could make the argument they should have won the UT game and then it would be a two game losing streak. And maybe you could tell me how Coach K got schooled by SEC baseball school last year in the second round of the NCAA tournament and lost 20 games in 2016 and 2017? Or does it only apply to Cal?

Nearly? I could make the argument they should have won the UT game and then it would be a two game losing streak. And maybe you could tell me how Coach K got schooled by SEC baseball school last year in the second round of the NCAA tournament and lost 20 games in 2016 and 2017? Or does it only apply to Cal?
I guess you're vying for 2nd worst poster?

Reactions: Fox2monk
So no?

They're incredibly young and inexperienced and had unrealistic expectations placed on them by incredibly ignorant fans who like to just throw shit out there for attention. They are also the same fans that when questioned about their statements or opinions can never support them and try to divert away, such as @SemperFiCat
They beat UL by 30 nearly 2 months ago in the words of Dylan......" they were so much older then ,they're younger than that now."

So no?

So, you don't have a reason why our HOF coach has a four game losing streak right now?

They beat UL by 30 nearly 2 months ago in the words of Dylan......" they were so much older then ,they're younger than that now."
Nah, we just actually showed up and tried that game. Again, the number one sign of a young inexperienced team is playing hard one game and doing nothing the next.

Reactions: Jazzycat
It's mid Feb. How much longer can we use the "we're young" excuse? We're a lot more seasoned now than we were when we stomped U6, right?

As long as other teams are significantly older, it's a real issue. Other teams get older as we do. I know you don't think "we're young" is an excuse, but it is a real big factor. But you've chosen what facts you want so no one will be able to talk you out of it.

I'm not advocating Cal leaving. At all, not in the slightest. But I'm saying if we all want to bash this year's players, it's ok to question this seasons coaching.
Since the season started 14-3, Cal has made some terrible in game decisions. And the players have made plenty of mistakes. But taking things into context, Coach K losing 20 games the previous two years clearly shows he made some stupid decisions in recruiting and in game. Is that not a fair statement?

Reactions: oldfanofuk
All I'm saying, as in my original post, if Cal can't hide the players, it's fair to point out that they can't hide him either. There's only one person alive that puts Hami back in that game at that point. And I think it's fair to point that out.

Reactions: UKSouthpaw
You're right. But again, if you want to use the "we crushed UofL" back in Dec, explain why we've lost four in a row in Feb.
Again, because we're young and inexperienced with a lot of talent. Which is exactly what young and inexperienced teams with a lot of talent do. Some games they play brilliantly and some games they play horribly. Hell, they go threw these phases over the course of a game. It's called youth!! We could have K, Wooden, Rupp and any other great coach on our bench and they would still be young and inexperienced and utterly bi-polar in their play. The only inability the coaches have shown is the inability to be able to play the game for them.

I thought for sure I've seen coach Cal screaming,cussing, jumping up and down on the side line of every game. Must be the only time he can get his work outs in. JS

Again, because we're young and inexperienced with a lot of talent. Which is exactly what young and inexperienced teams with a lot of talent do. Some games they play brilliantly and some games they play horribly. Hell, they go threw these phases over the course of a game. It's called youth!! We could have K, Wooden, Rupp and any other great coach on our bench and they would still be young and inexperienced and utterly bi-polar in their play. The only inability the coaches have shown is the inability to be able to play the game for them.
But we're always young and inexperienced, right? But a a four game slide late in the season hasn't happened before. All I'm saying is this isn't entirely on the players.

All I'm saying, as in my original post, if Cal can't hide the players, it's fair to point out that they can't hide him either. There's only one person alive that puts Hami back in that game at that point. And I think it's fair to point that out.
What do they need to hide him from? That's what you seem to not be able to answer. Maybe you have some good points if you would just actually make them.

Hami is a good player that makes boneheaded mistakes who happens to be 1 of 3 guards on the roster we can truly play. SGA had some foul issues and we can't expect him and Green to play the full game. He fell apart after the missed 3, it happens to young players.

Think a lot looks differently if Baker didn't get injured. Team lacks consistent outside shooting, and it puts added pressure on guys to make deep shots. Basketball usually comes down to making/missing and let's face it--the game turned on Diallo's shot that went halfway down, rolled around top of rim and out and if that drops, UK is up 7 and has all the momentum.

One thing I will say as a fan in general and one who enjoys watching UK basketball under Cal, and I believe this to be the case with several high profile people, they sometimes lose track of what they are hired to do. By that I mean, Cal is the Head Basketball Coach at UK, not the savior of all wrongs in the world. His job affords him a lot of opportunities to help people, but he also has to realize his #1 job is to help the players improve and win games. Lose focus on that, and no matter who you are, you'll have a year which humbles you and reminds you of your #1 job. The repeated protecting tool of saying the team is full of "Great Kids" is not something to be celebrated, it's to be expected. This generation of young men are too often praised for things that are rules that normal people live by and if you come to a program like UK which is selling NBA.....then don't be surprised to be critically evaluated. That includes Cal. You don't get mulligans and you are only as good as your last game. It's why Cal/coaches get paid big $ and stress is involved, but it's also what fans demand. You take their money, they travel to support you/program, they don't want to be told how to think/behave, and tire of the lectures as if they didn't know anything about the sport prior to your arrival. They want it fixed. That's life in big time athletics.

Will say as an outsider, this is the least enjoyable team to watch during Cal's era at UK. They don't play tough and lack urgency in all aspects. My amateur opinion is that UK was better when Cal played less people and they went 7 deep with 8th man being a rotational guy (fouls, spot minutes, role player like Wiltjer's FR year). Too many people play and within a game their minutes seem forced and not earned. Hope it gets figured out and wish you luck rest of year.

But we're always young and inexperienced, right? But a a four game slide late in the season hasn't happened before. All I'm saying is this isn't entirely on the players.
We've never been this young and inexperienced and we've always had higher rated, more talented players. I mean, that I could say is on the coaches, but I don't think you can legitimately say recruiting is a weakness of Cal's at this point that needs to be hidden by players.

What do they need to hide him from? That's what you seem to not be able to answer. Maybe you have some good points if you would just actually make them.

Hami is a good player that makes boneheaded mistakes who happens to be 1 of 3 guards on the roster we can truly play. SGA had some foul issues and we can't expect him and Green to play the full game. He fell apart after the missed 3, it happens to young players.
A famous Cal quote is he can't hide the players from bad play, decisions, etc. And he's right. He has to play them. I'm simply pointing out they can't hide hum from bad coaching decisions.

You lost me here.

Think a lot looks differently if Baker didn't get injured. Team lacks consistent outside shooting, and it puts added pressure on guys to make deep shots. Basketball usually comes down to making/missing and let's face it--the game turned on Diallo's shot that went halfway down, rolled around top of rim and out and if that drops, UK is up 7 and has all the momentum.

One thing I will say as a fan in general and one who enjoys watching UK basketball under Cal, and I believe this to be the case with several high profile people, they sometimes lose track of what they are hired to do. By that I mean, Cal is the Head Basketball Coach at UK, not the savior of all wrongs in the world. His job affords him a lot of opportunities to help people, but he also has to realize his #1 job is to help the players improve and win games. Lose focus on that, and no matter who you are, you'll have a year which humbles you and reminds you of your #1 job. The repeated protecting tool of saying the team is full of "Great Kids" is not something to be celebrated, it's to be expected. This generation of young men are too often praised for things that are rules that normal people live by and if you come to a program like UK which is selling NBA.....then don't be surprised to be critically evaluated. That includes Cal. You don't get mulligans and you are only as good as your last game. It's why Cal/coaches get paid big $ and stress is involved, but it's also what fans demand. You take their money, they travel to support you/program, they don't want to be told how to think/behave, and tire of the lectures as if they didn't know anything about the sport prior to your arrival. They want it fixed. That's life in big time athletics.

Will say as an outsider, this is the least enjoyable team to watch during Cal's era at UK. They don't play tough and lack urgency in all aspects. My amateur opinion is that UK was better when Cal played less people and they went 7 deep with 8th man being a rotational guy (fouls, spot minutes, role player like Wiltjer's FR year). Too many people play and within a game their minutes seem forced and not earned. Hope it gets figured out and wish you luck rest of year.
At one time during the early part of the season they were fun to watch,they have become less fun to watch as the season has progressed(and no it is not just the competition is tougher) A very strange team.

Reactions: lady wildcat
I can give you one, he is stubborn and you have to hit him upside the head with a 50lb bag of horse shoes to get him to change some things. His offensive system is too free flowing for this bunch, they do not have the skill, nor the IQ to run it, yet he still has not put in more set plays to give them more structure. His refusal to play zone until this year and even this year there were times he refused to play zone when his guards were getting beat off the bounce repeatedly. Not having under the basket inbounds plays, which can provide at times 3 to 5 easy baskets during the game.

We playing horse shoes and hand grenades now? 4 game losing streak that can be a 5 game losing streak Saturday if we continue our funk.... almost winning the UT game means jack squat.... if you want to give almost wins this much credit then Tubby should of stayed our coach

and dont mistake the Tubby comment... I'm not saying to fire Cal....... But I am saying Cal needs to get us trending back upwards next year.

A famous Cal quote is he can't hide the players from bad play, decisions, etc. And he's right. He has to play them. I'm simply pointing out they can't hide hum from bad coaching decisions.
Not ragging on you. But, what game was it they had 6(six) turnovers from walking alone(along with other games walking calls). I don't think that needs to be coached at this level.

We playing horse shoes and hand grenades now? 4 game losing streak that can be a 5 game losing streak Saturday if we continue our funk.... almost winning the UT game means jack squat.... if you want to give almost wins this much credit then Tubby should of stayed our coach

and dont mistake the Tubby comment... I'm not saying to fire Cal....... But I am saying Cal needs to get us trending back upwards next year.
I agree. That comment was in reference to saying we should be on a five game losing streak. UK isn’t.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
ADVERTISEMENT