ADVERTISEMENT

Players Can't Hide You Either

We need the Cal from the nineties. He was hungry and could motivate guys to play their hardest. He developed guys, ran smart offenses and was a b&$@&$ to coach against. That's the Cal we need.
Hell I wish I had me from the Ninety's...

Reactions: brianpoe
I hear your logic, and I agree. But isn't it the coach's job the build a team and get kids to function as a team? I understand a coach can only do so much, but isn't that a coach's job?

It is. And if Cal failed to do it, 2 out of every three years, then after 5 or 6 years, criticism might be warranted. But, look at Cal's resume and his level of excellence. He didn't just forget how to coach, this year. It is how these kids are accepting, and then using the coaching given them. Undoubtedly, this team is underperforming, but, when you look at all the teams that Cal has had, and the success, it has to be these kids, and their AAU attitudes, not Cal's coaching ability. Did Cal miss on these kids, yes. Is it his responsibility to assemble the team, yes. However, you can watch kids play, talk to them, and sometimes not fully understand what they are actually made of, and it is tough, until they come under fire. I just think these kids, or at least some of them, do not understand what Cal wants, as an acceptable level of commitment, not just to the coaching staff, but to their team mates.

It is. And if Cal failed to do it, 2 out of every three years, then after 5 or 6 years, criticism might be warranted. But, look at Cal's resume and his level of excellence. He didn't just forget how to coach, this year. It is how these kids are accepting, and then using the coaching given them. Undoubtedly, this team is underperforming, but, when you look at all the teams that Cal has had, and the success, it has to be these kids, and their AAU attitudes, not Cal's coaching ability. Did Cal miss on these kids, yes. Is it his responsibility to assemble the team, yes. However, you can watch kids play, talk to them, and sometimes not fully understand what they are actually made of, and it is tough, until they come under fire. I just think these kids, or at least some of them, do not understand what Cal wants, as an acceptable level of commitment, not just to the coaching staff, but to their team mates.
I agree. I'm arguing it's a combination of both (this season).

Most fans tolerated the Cal rhetoric that he’s only concerned about the players, and not winning or the Kentucky tradition. He was widely successful with his method, so we kind of grinned and bared it when he things like “This is the greatest night in UK basketball history”.

Well, now that the one and done method has been taken over by Duke, and we’re struggling to make the tournament, or to win a game now for that matter, Cal has to adjust his approach. The fans, at least me, would be just fine having a year like this season, as long as we knew the future looked great. Well, that’s the problem right now. We don’t know what kind of future we have to look forward to, and neither does Cal.
That’s why a lot of reasonable fans are at least somewhat pissed off.

Look, this offseason could be the adjustment from Cal we’re looking for. But if it goes bad, the future of this program will be disturbingly uncertain.

Good post SemperFi.
LMAO, the last 4 years we've been to 2 final fours, rd 32, and elite 8. Honestly, what were your expectations those years? We have 1 down year out of 5 and people are losing their shit. We are having a bad season. No more, no less. It happens to everyone.

LMAO, the last 4 years we've been to 2 final fours, rd 32, and elite 8. Honestly, what were your expectations those years? We have 1 down year out of 5 and people are losing their shit. We are having a bad season. No more, no less. It happens to everyone.
I don't think people are losing their ish. I think we all know what Cal is capable of with young players and fans are frustrated and confused as to why he can't do what he always does with this squad.

Probably because he’s the coach at Kentucky. I would hope our standards are higher.
Cal also has the highest paid staff in College basketball, that might be another reason.
So you've spent tjw majority of your life as a UK fan disappointed then?

Well, Puke hasn't been to an NIT since 1981. Hasn't missed the tournament since 1995. Before that they missed in 1982 and 1983.

Calipari at UK is staring at a possible second tournament miss in 5 years.

Guess it depends on what one calls a "down year".

Agree, but, getting beaten in the first round, as a 2 or 3 seed, is just as bad, or maybe worse, than having a down year. A down year is where you have an injury, like UK did with Noel. Duke has gone down to lesser opponents, such as Lehigh, several times in the NCAA. We are talking about Duke teams that were mentioned as one of those having a chance at a NC. THAT is bad coaching. Being unprepared when you have much, much more talent and still lose, especially in the tournament. I didn't hear an outcry from the Duke fans. It's because even though they are disappointed, they didn't go off the deep end, because they knew that even though K screwed up, he was a good coach, and would have them back, the next year. As bad as I hate to say it, this is one time I wish UK fans would be like Duke fans.

Reactions: brianpoe
A few of the things are obvious Cal just doesnt invest in . OOB stuff on D and O .. end of game management , staying in the zone you keep trying to cover for him on a FEW shortcomings saying its the players , and yes , some of it is , and some of this is simply on Cal.
Why would we spend a whole game in zone. Teams would pick it apart and then we would be screwed?

You're acting as if Cal is infallible. Like he's never had a young team before. You realize it's ok to question why, if he's usually been able to to it under basically the same cirmustances, he's not doing it this season. It's mid Feb. It's also ok to question some in game coaching decisions. Cal isn't a god. It's ok, as a fan, to question the coach. But as you keep saying, he's a HOFer, so I guess he's without question, right?
Except he's never had a team this young or inexperienced, no? Who said he was perfect? You implied the players couldn't hide him. I'm still waiting to hear what they need to hide him from?

I don't think people are losing their ish. I think we all know what Cal is capable of with young players and fans are frustrated and confused as to why he can't do what he always does with this squad.
Because they are younger and less experienced and lower rates than he's had here, no?

Duke hasn't been to an NIT is misleading. They were 13-18 in 1995. That's a hell of a lot worse than any season Coach Cal has had at Kentucky. Or will ever have for that matter.

crawfords, I don't know about you, since evidently you care, but I could give a $hit less about Duke, or any other program besides UK. Duke losing, or winning doesn't do near as much for me as UK winning, and I don't even like to think of UK losing. I'm not interested when Duke went to the NIT or them winning two NC's while Coach Cal has been at UK. I distinctly remember Coach Cal saying," We're going to win some NC's here at UK." With the talent he has recruited, No 1 recruited class ever year for 8 years, according to Scout or Rivals, I admit, I expected more then one NC. After reading his latest book, I realize his main objective is not winning NC's, but how many "One and Done's" he can put in the NBA, and how much money they make.
This is very admirable of him, but I doubt that is what he was hired for. Some old farts like me, would love to see us pass UCLA in National Championships, but I am starting to realize that is not going to happen in my lifetime. I felt it would when Coach Cal first come here. I now realize my expectations of Coach Cal were to high.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Name them?
Wiltjer, Lee and Harrow top the list. Harrows dad was also in large part to his father, but a large portion of the fans wanted him gone and weren't at all shy about it. Wiltjer and Lee were major whipping boys.
I'd bet good money we've lost recruits as a result of the fanbase as well

Wiltjer, Lee and Harrow top the list. Harrows dad was also in large part to his father, but a large portion of the fans wanted him gone and weren't at all shy about it. Wiltjer and Lee were major whipping boys.
I'd bet good money we've lost recruits as a result of the fanbase as well

Ok, so you are now looking silly.

Kyle loved it here. Still loves UK and the fanbase... you obviously know nothing about Wiltjer.

Lee loved the fanbase and he never had great expectations thrown upon him. Super great kid and again you know nothing about Lee.

Harrow had ZERO to do with the fanbase but more the big stage environment and a few other items you dont need to know about.

I cant take you serious on your other posts with this lack of knowledge.

crawfords, I don't know about you, since evidently you care, but I could give a $hit less about Duke, or any other program besides UK. Duke losing, or winning doesn't do near as much for me as UK winning, and I don't even like to think of UK losing. I'm not interested when Duke went to the NIT or them winning two NC's while Coach Cal has been at UK. I distinctly remember Coach Cal saying," We're going to win some NC's here at UK." With the talent he has recruited, No 1 recruited class ever year for 8 years, according to Scout or Rivals, I admit, I expected more then one NC. After reading his latest book, I realize his main objective is not winning NC's, but how many "One and Done's" he can put in the NBA, and how much money they make.
This is very admirable of him, but I doubt that is what he was hired for. Some old farts like me, would love to see us pass UCLA in National Championships, but I am starting to realize that is not going to happen in my lifetime. I felt it would when Coach Cal first come here. I now realize my expectations of Coach Cal were to high.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Your expectations of Cal may have been too high. A lot of us have been spoiled by the success over the last 8 years. But, some creative officiating is all that kept him from winning at least a couple more. Had that happened, none of this discussion would be happening. That being said, name another coach out there that has gone to the final 4 in 4 of the last 6 years? If you can, then I will accept them as a possible replacement for Cal.

I would say Humphries as well. He took a lot of grief.

Not even close. Where do you live?

Your lack of intimate knowledge of the players isnt surprising but the fact that you act as if you know these things is comical.

Why would we spend a whole game in zone. Teams would pick it apart and then we would be screwed?

Gspot , your mind cant keep with the avalanche of post . No where , no where did I say we should zone up all game , I even said " GO ZONE A FEW MORE POSSESSIONS " Cmon . I'm done , you are just wanting to argue or pad your post count .

I ate a piece of pecan pie today, it was really good. It made me feel better.
I may try ice cream on it next time.
Thanks for reading.
God Bless
Go CATS

Reactions: ManitouDan
Ok, so you are now looking silly.

Kyle loved it here. Still loves UK and the fanbase... you obviously know nothing about Wiltjer.

Lee loved the fanbase and he never had great expectations thrown upon him. Super great kid and again you know nothing about Lee.

Harrow had ZERO to do with the fanbase but more the big stage environment and a few other items you dont need to know about.

I cant take you serious on your other posts with this lack of knowledge.
Lol, right....
Wiltjer comes back when he can do an autograph tour and profit the fanbase or help out Cal, who he does have tons of respect for. I doubt he cares about the fans. They sure didn't about him.

Lee was an outstanding you man, who did tons of work with kids and UK hospitals. How does that have anything to do with him transferring being me wasn't happy here. Particularly hearing fans constantly bitch and moan and never feeling good enough here.

Harrow had a lot of shit going on and couldn't care less who knows now. That doesn't change the fact he didn't like the fans and wanted out and then of course had other personal reasons.

Lol, why don't you articulate a few of these inabilities you think our Hall of Fame head coach has? This should be interesting........
Putting a entire team together outside of 3 players that are athletes and can't shoot to save their lives. They also have no basketball knowledge. They just have relied on their athletic ability to excel. When you have a team like that, you better be able to coach your ass off to put the limited players you do have that can score in position to do so. Cal has been unable to do that.

Cal has been unable to run a successful half court offense. It is very painful to watch. High pick for SGA and hope for the best. Oh and the pick is set by Richards or Washington who are no threat to score and pulls them away from rebounding. How about let Knox set the pick so he can roll for a open 3 pointer? We have so many players on the court that can not put the ball in the basket it really limits our offense. Cal ran Knox off some curls last night that got him semi open. I would like to see Green run off some picks since he is one of our best outside shooters. But every game it does not come. He scored 15 points off the bench a few games ago and Diallo still started. Diallo-ugh I am not going to say anything about him at this time other than Call needs to cut the rope.

Cal has been unable to have this team to successfully guard a pick and roll. Every game they
are lost in the sauce. How do you not come out of the locker room knowing how to defend this? Less than 10 games left of the season and we have no clue. Hedge or not hedge, switch??? Who knows. I wish they would trap every ball screen. I think they would get some deflections which could lead to some turnovers. Sure they would pass out of it some and score. But it can't get much worse then they do now. Which consist of anything including running away from the best shooters in the SEC to left them shoot.

Out of bounds plays

We get scored on this at LEAST once a game, every game. Most games it is multiple times. Cal wants to play man to man so bad he will give up these baskets. Zero adjustments. It is totally embarrassing. Play a zone and make them throw over the top. That is a lot better then giving up open dunks and 10 foot jump shots.

Our out of bounds plays

My goodness... you can't even call them that. They should be called PJ hold out your arm and ty to lob it in. No picks are set, no movement. Just get the Ball in play so we can run our beautiful offense. It is pathetic. About two games ago maybe it was the Tennessee game. Cal came out of a timeout and ran a set play for Knox. He came around a curl for a lob and he dunked it. It is the same play and only play we have scored off of the past several years.
Why don't we run it more and often? Why don't we have more plays to get open? Especially when the other team is scoring at will when they take the ball out.

These are a few inabilities I find from our HOF coach. It was pretty interesting.... er depressing.

Reactions: 23jumpboy
Gspot , your mind cant keep with the avalanche of post . No where , no where did I say we should zone up all game , I even said " GO ZONE A FEW MORE POSSESSIONS " Cmon . I'm done , you are just wanting to argue or pad your post count .
Lol, why don't you quote word for word what you said?

Putting a entire team together outside of 3 players that are athletes and can't shoot to save their lives. They also have no basketball knowledge. They just have relied on their athletic ability to excel. When you have a team like that, you better be able to coach your ass off to put the limited players you do have that can score in position to do so. Cal has been unable to do that.

Cal has been unable to run a successful half court offense. It is very painful to watch. High pick for SGA and hope for the best. Oh and the pick is set by Richards or Washington who are no threat to score and pulls them away from rebounding. How about let Knox set the pick so he can roll for a open 3 pointer? We have so many players on the court that can not put the ball in the basket it really limits our offense. Cal ran Knox off some curls last night that got him semi open. I would like to see Green run off some picks since he is one of our best outside shooters. But every game it does not come. He scored 15 points off the bench a few games ago and Diallo still started. Diallo-ugh I am not going to say anything about him at this time other than Call needs to cut the rope.

Cal has been unable to have this team to successfully guard a pick and roll. Every game they
are lost in the sauce. How do you not come out of the locker room knowing how to defend this? Less than 10 games left of the season and we have no clue. Hedge or not hedge, switch??? Who knows. I wish they would trap every ball screen. I think they would get some deflections which could lead to some turnovers. Sure they would pass out of it some and score. But it can't get much worse then they do now. Which consist of anything including running away from the best shooters in the SEC to left them shoot.

Out of bounds plays

We get scored on this at LEAST once a game, every game. Most games it is multiple times. Cal wants to play man to man so bad he will give up these baskets. Zero adjustments. It is totally embarrassing. Play a zone and make them throw over the top. That is a lot better then giving up open dunks and 10 foot jump shots.

Our out of bounds plays

My goodness... you can't even call them that. They should be called PJ hold out your arm and ty to lob it in. No picks are set, no movement. Just get the Ball in play so we can run our beautiful offense. It is pathetic. About two games ago maybe it was the Tennessee game. Cal came out of a timeout and ran a set play for Knox. He came around a curl for a lob and he dunked it. It is the same play and only play we have scored off of the past several years.
Why don't we run it more and often? Why don't we have more plays to get open? Especially when the other team is scoring at will when they take the ball out.

These are a few inabilities I find from our HOF coach. It was pretty interesting.... er depressing.
He can teach them until they die, he can't do it for them. I know this is a novel concept for you guys, but when a hall of fame coach has a pretty solid track record of success, and he ends up with a below par team of little to no success, logic would indicate it's less likely to be the coaches fault than the players.

Lol, right....
Wiltjer comes back when he can do an autograph tour and profit the fanbase or help out Cal, who he does have tons of respect for. I doubt he cares about the fans. They sure didn't about him.

Lee was an outstanding you man, who did tons of work with kids and UK hospitals. How does that have anything to do with him transferring being me wasn't happy here. Particularly hearing fans constantly bitch and moan and never feeling good enough here.

Harrow had a lot of shit going on and couldn't care less who knows now. That doesn't change the fact he didn't like the fans and wanted out and then of course had other personal reasons.

Lol, right. I bet your buddies with all of them?

I know a lot more than you ever will.... a lot.

And you couldnt be more wrong on this. Again, why do you claim to know so much?

I have several reason why I do, as far as relationships.

You know nothing but continue this barrage of knowing a players feelings... you have never met any of these kids. I have met all 3 more than once...

Putting Hami back in was the absolute worst thing I've ever seen Cal do, and it was at the pivotal point of the season. I'm still shaking my head and saying WTF were you thinking.

Nah, keeping the Harrison's in during the 2015 Wisconsin game was the worth thing Cal had done. He basically admitted that he kept them in because of loyalty to them, IIRC.

I know a lot more than you ever will.... a lot.

And you couldnt be more wrong on this. Again, why do you claim to know so much?

I have several reason why I do, as far as relationships.

You know nothing but continue this barrage of knowing a players feelings... you have never met any of these kids. I have met all 3 more than once...
:joy:
So, you can claim to come and be "in the know", but if someone else implies they have information about things it's impossible? That's some solid logic.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

You guys are talking about unfair expectations placed upon Cal. "We are the gold standard". "We will recruit the best of the best". It looks like he placed those expectations upon himself. It also looks like, at least to me, he is trying to coach this team like an NBA team; high pick n roll, no OB's, no pressing. It stands to reason to me that when you struggle in the half court, you need ways to find some easy buckets (OB's, points off turnovers, etc.) He also very plainly missed on this class. Nick Richards is more like a HS sophomore skill wise than a college freshman. Hami has no idea how to play basketball. All 5 stars are not created equally, and this group needs guidance, direction, and discipline and it damned sure ain't coming from the players.

You guys are talking about unfair expectations placed upon Cal. "We are the gold standard". "We will recruit the best of the best". It looks like he placed those expectations upon himself. It also looks like, at least to me, he is trying to coach this team like an NBA team; high pick n roll, no OB's, no pressing. It stands to reason to me that when you struggle in the half court, you need ways to find some easy buckets (OB's, points off turnovers, etc.) He also very plainly missed on this class. Nick Richards is more like a HS sophomore skill wise than a college freshman. Hami has no idea how to play basketball. All 5 stars are not created equally, and this group needs guidance, direction, and discipline and it damned sure ain't coming from the players.
Is he suppose to play for them? He can teach them endlessly, but at a certain point they have to execute it.

So, you can claim to come and be "in the know", but if someone else implies they have information about things it's impossible? That's some solid logic.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

I would love for you to have info that is correct.

Yours is not correct.

I have been supplying info since 1995. I have a history of providing facts.

You dont, and your posts show it.

Why are you so offended by someone telling you that you are wrong on something that is a known fact?

Why are you upset that someone knows more than you on a subject?

I have been around awhile kid and closer to the program than 99% of the folks here. I have sat and argued with Mitch in his office and Sandy in hers.

I have covered UK and the SEC for ESPN, Fox Sports and Clear Channel.

I have sponsored combines and held events at UK.

I helped set up the rivals recruiting network with Dave Telep, worked with Max Emfinger, established the Scout message boards with the original Rivals founders and Bernie Kosar.

I know Tubby and Donna very well, I met Cal when he first arrived in Memphis.

I have 2 sons that are best friends with certain ball players.

Wall, Bledsoe and Boogie and Ppat have been in my house...

I know Miller's family.

I m even tighter on the football side.

And so much more...

There is no agree to disagree. It's not a disgrace that I may know a little more on the personal side of people that i actually do know or am close to those close to them.

Last edited:
Nah, we just actually showed up and tried that game. Again, the number one sign of a young inexperienced team is playing hard one game and doing nothing the next.

I'm ready for another playing hard game. You?

I would love for you to have info that is correct.

Yours is not correct.

I have been supplying info since 1995. I have a history of providing facts.

You dont, and your posts show it.

Why are you so offended by someone telling you that you are wrong on something that is a known fact?

Why are you upset that someone knows more than you on a subject?

I have been around awhile kid and closer to the program than 99% of the folks here. I have sat and argued with Mitch in his office and Sandy in hers.

I have covered UK and the SEC for ESPN, Fox Sports and Clear Channel.

I have sponsored combines and held events at UK.

I helped set up the rivals recruiting network with Dave Telep, worked with max Emfinger, established the Scout message boards with the original Rivals founders and Bernie Kosar.

I know Tubby and Donna very well, I met Cal when he first arrived in Memphis.

I have 2 sons that are best friends with certain ball players.

Wall, Bledsoe and Boogie and Ppat have been in my house...

I know Millers family.

I m even tighter on the football side.

And so much more...

There is no agree to disagree. It's not a disgrace that I may know a little more on the personal side of people that i actually do know or am close to those close to them.
All this and you have so much time to devote here over the years? Seems a bit odd.
Also seems odd you're so well connected but are always here conversing with those that aren't. If I had all those connections I sure wouldn't be wasting time here.

Offended or upset? Where do you get that? I'm having a great time conversing and gaining insight from someone so in the know.

If you've covered sports for all the outlets, who are you? Should be easy enough to verify, right?

All this and you have so much time to devote here over the years? Seems a bit odd.
Also seems odd you're so well connected but are always here conversing with those that aren't. If I had all those connections I sure wouldn't be wasting time here.

Offended or upset? Where do you get that? I'm having a great time conversing and gaining insight from someone so in the know.

If you've covered sports for all the outlets, who are you? Should be easy enough to verify, right?

You are the only one who doesnt know me darling...

Why the attitude? It's ok to not be right 100% of the time. People have connections on this board, you are still new, you need to realize this.

ADVERTISEMENT