ADVERTISEMENT

Out rebounded, outhustled, and Hagans

Chances of Getting to the second weekend much less to the final four is slim and nil and slim is getting ready to leave the building

Surprised iq so bad. Got two tough walking calls. Sure that didn't help

IQ was 3 for 11 on his two point attempts and only managed to get to the FT line for 3 attempts. A team that is mediocre at offensive rebounding like this year’s team will really struggle to overcome that poor of a shooting performance.

Add to that the fact that he turned the ball over on 18% of his possessions (versus his season average of 10%), and you have the recipe for a loss.

People can harp on Hagans all they want, but a much bigger problem was that IQ simply was really off tonight. If IQ simply manages to get to the line one or two more times and hits a couple more shots, the game plays out much differently.

As consistent as IQ’s been of late, an off game from him was bound to happen. Hopefully he got it out of his system.

It wasn't just Hagans.

Anytime you let a team have an effective FG% of 60% AND on top of that allow them to rebound 40% of their misses, you aren't winning.
Lack of rebounding has been a problem for a while now, it caught up to us last night. Face it, this team has been on the verge of losing several more games all year, can not hold a lead, will not expand a lead, and it got us last night. This is not, nor has it ever been a SMART basketball team.

Lack of rebounding has been a problem for a while now, it caught up to us last night. Face it, this team has been on the verge of losing several more games all year, can not hold a lead, will not expand a lead, and it got us last night. This is not, nor has it ever been a SMART basketball team.

Yet when people see that we are 26th in one system or 21st in another, people freak out and wonder why that's the case.

Yep. The writing has been on the wall. We've won a ton of close games against competition that if we are being honest, isn't very good overall.

I agreed completely with you until your last statement. I'm not sure "smart" is the right word.

I feel like Hagans might have been sick with the flu or something. He didn't look well.

It wasn't just Hagans.

Anytime you let a team have an effective FG% of 60% AND on top of that allow them to rebound 40% of their misses, you aren't winning.

Much because the whistle changed and out them on the line the entire second half. Then our guards were too tired or disinterested to chase down long rebounds on missed threes

IQ was 3 for 11 on his two point attempts and only managed to get to the FT line for 3 attempts. A team that is mediocre at offensive rebounding like this year’s team will really struggle to overcome that poor of a shooting performance.

Add to that the fact that he turned the ball over on 18% of his possessions (versus his season average of 10%), and you have the recipe for a loss.

People can harp on Hagans all they want, but a much bigger problem was that IQ simply was really off tonight. If IQ simply manages to get to the line one or two more times and hits a couple more shots, the game plays out much differently.

As consistent as IQ’s been of late, an off game from him was bound to happen. Hopefully he got it out of his system.

IQ was 2-5 from 3, basically 2-4 if you remove his 35-40 footer prayer he threw up with 24 seconds to go in the game. Not entirely sure he took a normal look from 3 in the 2nd half. After getting up 17 the whole team, including Cal just went through the motions. We had the worst looking offensive the entire 2nd half from that point on. Everything was forcing drives into a crowded paint with no where to go and getting stripped or throwing up a prayer hoping for a foul call. If you aren’t going to get your best shooter looks from the perimeter you aren’t going to win. Offense was just downright pathetic tonight and something cal needs to own for sitting over there and watching it happen.

The refs seemed determined to not let him get to the line. You could see that when he was fouled on the 3 pt shot and they only gave us possession.

Reactions: westerncat
One of the biggest problems i thought last night we should have got the ball into our center more in the 1st half and try and draw fouls on their center.

Thing is Hagans is the point guard.

It's not changing this late into the season. We kinda have to take the bad with the good at this point.

..........or coach.

Not sure about the season stats but anytime you start 3 guards who are 6'3" tall you will have rebounding proglems

Reactions: Blueaz
When you have your second year starting point guard (allegedly) talking back to coaches, refusing to do as asked, don’t you think that translates to the play and attitude of the rest of the team? Go back and watch, totally different TEAM after the Hagans/ Cal spat. Everybody went to shit, and I can’t really blame them. Man up and coach, or get trampled by a spoiled future ( in his mind) millionaire. Reap what you sow man.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
2009-2010 team led by John Wall, Boogie Cousins
35-3 (Were on the verge of losing 6 more))
1. Barely beat Miami Ohio on a last second shot by John Wall 72-70
2. Barely beat Stanford 73-65 on OT Cancun Challenge
3. Barely beat UNC 68-66
4. Barely beat UCONN 64-61
5. Barely beat Vandy 58-56
6. Barley beat Miss St 75-74 OT SEC Title

Every team Cal has had here has had several games they were on the verge of losing, not just this team.

This is obvious to anyone but must of our fans and jimmy Dykes.

The reason teams typically use 3 guards is to light up from three and get long rebounds. The fact we run 3 guards and try to get into the paint and rely on 2 pt and ft isn really in-line wth a three guard offense. Also not having a pg who can consistently do what the offense is designed to do is baffling at best.

For what cal wants to accomplish with his offensive game plan. Also fixes rebounding issue

Maxey
IQ
Brooks
Ej
Nick

Hagans 6th man for defense and rebounding but runs the baseline on offense when he plays. Doesn’t stop running. Round uare holes never works

I agree brother. First, I want to say that I’m still 100% behind this group and I can’t believe what some has said about these kids the last two days. It’s made me realize how a lot of people really are and has shown some true colors.

As for Hagans, he still has two dang years here if he wants!!! My God, he had a bad game. Ohh well get over it. He skipped his senior year of high school to come to Kentucky in the first place and maybe he has something going on inside that we don’t know. Every kid isn’t John Wall and we have to let them grow from their mistakes. Give the kid a break people.

I don’t think he alone cost us the game, I don’t know why but every one of them played bad yesterday, but the great thing is , they can get it fixed and come back better. It’s just way too much to pile on one player and he doesn’t deserve it.

If anything, I saw Quickly standing on offense the whole game instead of trying to get open to get a shot. I don’t know if it was because Ashton has been jealous of him and Maxey (as some have said), and has said something, but something happened to Quickly and he wasn’t aggressive like he’s been the rest of the season. Maxey played hard but one player can’t win SEC games by themselves.

I thought Johnny and Keion played their butts off, but one mistake and bam, get on the bench son!! No way they’re going to get better if they’re scared to death of getting benched and bitched out in front of 20 plus thousand people for every mistake they make.

Anyway, It wasn’t just one thing, it was just a terrible game by all, Coaches included. I hope they can just come together and get everything off their chest and become a team again, if not, we’re in trouble!! I’ve saw this team play great at times this year, whatever they have to do to fix it, they need to get it done now and they absolutely can still win it all this year if they do. The season isn’t over and bad games happen for everyone, great teams come back and learn from bad games and this team will to. Go Cats!

People keep blaming Hagans for the loss, but we only got a good game from ONE player. I hate to be a refs are out to get us guy, but there was a clear difference on how calls being made on two ends of the court. So add those two things together and it’s not good. This team is not good enough to coast half the game and get a win, no team is that good this year.

Reactions: downw/ball-lineD
The reason teams typically use 3 guards is to light up from three and get long rebounds. The fact we run 3 guards and try to get into the paint and rely on 2 pt and ft isn really in-line wth a three guard offense. Also not having a pg who can consistently do what the offense is designed to do is baffling at best.

For what cal wants to accomplish with his offensive game plan. Also fixes rebounding issue

Maxey
IQ
Brooks
Ej
Nick

Hagans 6th man for defense and rebounding but runs the baseline on offense when he plays. Doesn’t stop running. Round uare holes never works
Brooks may be ready for that NOW; but he wasn’t a month ago.
Probably the bigger question is can Hagans handle that. He seems to be showing he can’t handle that and be productive.
I’ve supported him; and put down the haters/bashers. but arguing with a coach during a game.
I won’t call him names, but he needs to show everyone more control.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT