ADVERTISEMENT

DJ, Reed, and Edwards

Yeah, man. Look, I love DJ’s driving ability. However, he just doesn’t really make other guys better. Once he drives, forget about it. That ball ain’t coming back out. A PG that doesn’t pass much simply isn’t a PG.
It's frustrating because his ability can get to the rim can open up such a great "triple option" type play if he doesn't always commit to the layup. Take it himself, dish it out for a 3, or lob it up to a big if someone helps from the weak side. But as of now he just tries to adjust mid air when that weak side help comes and throws up an off balance shot.

The team as a whole was not mentally in the game tonight. We stood too much on offense so some players tried to force individual, one on one plays. Reeves, Mitchell and Dillingham showed some life but , we were bad. We were very bad. It's not a good night to single out any one player when we totally shit the bed.

Reactions: ukcatz12
It's frustrating because his ability can get to the rim can open up such a great "triple option" type play if he doesn't always commit to the layup. Take it himself, dish it out for a 3, or lob it up to a big if someone helps from the weak side. But as of now he just tries to adjust mid air when that weak side help comes and throws up an off balance shot.
Yep! He NEVER passes once he’s committed to the drive! It’s infuriating!

Reed and DJ had bad games, it happens. But Edwards gives us absolutely NOTHING. NOTHING!! Cal has given him enough time, he really shouldn't see the floor unless we are in foul trouble.
Think everyone agrees Reed played his worst game but DJ played equally as bad yet played 30 minutes too sheps 14. Cal makes sure no matter what his guys get their minutes. 75 minutes tonight for his trio and 10 total points.

Yeah, man. Look, I love DJ’s driving ability. However, he just doesn’t really make other guys better. Once he drives, forget about it. That ball ain’t coming back out. A PG that doesn’t pass much simply isn’t a PG.
He is now tied with Edwards as the worst OFF efficiency player on the team.

There's no apostrophe in Edwards' name. And Shep should NEVER be on the bench. NEVER. He should play as many minutes as possible. To say anything to the contrary is LUNACY. Even if he's not playing well he still tries to share the ball. DJ on the other hand is unfit to lead this team, and Edwards should not sniff the floor until 8 guys are tired.
If and when Reed can regain his confidence and look to shoot when he is open then I agree. For the past 6-7 games he has been passing on the open shot and playing more timid on the offensive end. Combine that with the lazy careless passes and thats why his PT has been less recently.

Reed is a great kid and has a good head on him. He just needs to work through the mental block. This team is overall full of good kids, much better chemistry than recent years.

Reactions: UKortho
I don’t know if you read the scouting reports on the mock draft sites, but this is precisely many of them say about DJ. He doesn’t make the guys around him better or even look to pass after putting the ball on the floor.

He previous game he was able to do that to a degree because big Z was absolutely feeling it.

If and when Reed can regain his confidence and look to shoot when he is open then I agree. For the past 6-7 games he has been passing on the open shot and playing more timid on the offensive end. Combine that with the lazy careless passes and thats why his PT has been less recently.

Reed is a great kid and has a good head on him. He just needs to work through the mental block. This team is overall full of good kids, much better chemistry than recent years.
He was 4-5 from three against Georgia. Nice try. Your damning with faint praise is sickening.

I don’t even think DJ is necessarily being selfish . He’s not a natural pg and Cal is forcing him into that role . Combine that with the fact that in half court we still don’t have much of a game plan or useful movement on offense .

Refs swallowed the whistle earlier on both sides. USC adjusted by hitting 3s and UK kept trying to drive n failing .

Clearly it is time to shake things up. DJ and Edwards should be out of starting line up.

DJ: 3 assists in 30 minutes, 2-10 shooting and numerous stupid, selfish plays.

Reed: Played FOURTEEN, FOURTEEN, FOURTEEN MINUTES.

Edwards: TWENTY THREE MINUTES, 0-1 shooting and 2 rebounds.

Congrats, Cal, masterful job of coaching.

Fellas, you just witnessed how we're going to lose in the tournament in the second round.

Or the first.

Oh well, there's always next year, right calbois?
Yeah, and why do the sunshine pumpers keep predicting long winning streaks and insist on cutting down the net after every win.

Reactions: NociHTTP

I guess you want no part of a ban bet, eh champ? LOL

That’s unbelievable! Not really, but you know! Wtf is he thinking, playing Reed 14 minutes?! Are you kidding me?! 😡
If anyone is wondering what's going on with Reed, there's your answer. He may SAY that he's fine coming off the bench with Dilly or whoever as a 1-2 punch, but when you have to sit there and watch the crap he's seeing and knowing that your coach is going to continue doing that, well there you go.

Reactions: tomrain
There's no apostrophe in Edwards' name. And Shep should NEVER be on the bench. NEVER. He should play as many minutes as possible. To say anything to the contrary is LUNACY. Even if he's not playing well he still tries to share the ball. DJ on the other hand is unfit to lead this team, and Edwards should not sniff the floor until 8 guys are tired.
DJ should have just gone to Louisville where he could be 'the man'. He's not interested in directing this offense. Has ever stated in any interviews that he wants to be the best PG on this team?

Reed played really passively , but hes been our best player for most of the year , you dont bury him , he deserved better than that .
Sheppard has been the most efficient and has been unbelievably good as a freshman, but Reeves and Mitchell have been UK's best players. Without those two this season would be a disaster.

But maybe a silver lining from this game will be that Sheppard's projected draft position takes a hit and we get him back for next season after all.

I thought this was one of Cals worse substitution games of the season. Meanwhile, DJ is just chucking the ball left and right barely can hold onto it and Reed Is riding the pine, for what? At times he had O and Bradshaw in there together with Edwards. Cal is an idiot.

Also how do we not shoot a 3 hardly at all the last 8 minutes down big on the road. It's like Cal is saying drive to the basket with South Carolina Holding the Ball every possession down that much on the road you have to shoot some 3s. That's what we are good at. We only took 13 for the entire game. WTF? Cal drives me crazy.
I’ll be honest. I love Reed , Dillingham, and was really looking forward to seeing big Z , but when Cal put them in at the start of the game when we were doing good , I kinda wondered…..do you substitute just because?

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
Notice he didn't respond? Hmmm...
Sorry, I don't live on here and just saw this. Less than 10 losses pre NCAA tournament or after?

Also Reed was 4-5 against Georgia yes. That's the only 5 shots he took. He passed on 5-6 others. Trust me when I say it's mental, I know that first hand. He needs to regain that confidence not to hesitate and Just shoot.

Fellas, you just witnessed how we're going to lose in the tournament in the second round.

Or the first.

Or the first.

Reed was awful. He had multiple ill advised turnovers

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
He’s also starting to dribble too much at the top of the key looking for a way to go one on one. It just kills our offense when the ball doesn’t move.

Sheppard has been the most efficient and has been unbelievably good as a freshman, but Reeves and Mitchell have been UK's best players. Without those two this season would be a disaster.

But maybe a silver lining from this game will be that Sheppard's projected draft position takes a hit and we get him back for next season after all.
Reeves is a frontrunner.
You will never see him carry the team on his back in a "rock fight" type game.
If we are down 20 in the 2nd half, I can easily see him going on a scoring streak because a loss is imminate and the pressure is off.
I have no faith in Reeves in the NCAA tournament.

Reed was awful. He had multiple ill advised turnovers
All I'll say on Reed is everyone needs to pump the brakes on him.
He is not a Wall, Knight,Murray,SGA, Fox or Monk level guard.
All those guys could take over a game while being the focal point of the defense.
That's not Reed.
Reed has been a bright spot in an otherwise abysmal freshman class nationally.
Probably too much media hype.

Or the first.

Don’t forget. Reed had two turnovers and was 0-3 on shooting and missed an easy layup. He was not playing very good and looked like a freshman. Reed is my favorite player, but was not playing very good

Reactions: Jamal Sunburn
DJ was awful and completely killed offensive flow right away.

He just isn't an elite athlete. He relies on the left hand scoop. He struggles finishing that weak shot through contact. He went on a good run when he countered off that, but tonight he reverted.

Plus he never shared the ball. Was a complete ball killer which killed the offense
DJ looked like Wheeler tonight

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT