ADVERTISEMENT

DJ, Reed, and Edwards

All of the guards tonight where rushed. Rushed because they are not used to being played that tight and aggressive. We don't have the players to practice against to get used to that type of pressure. As a result our timing was off, and shots where rushed, passes that normally work did not. We can't expect to play well against that type of defensive pressure if they are not giving that type of pressure in practice. Iron sharpens iron... Our defense is like lead, it's not sharpening anything.

All of the guards tonight where rushed. Rushed because they are not used to being played that tight and aggressive. We don't have the players to practice against to get used to that type of pressure. As a result our timing was off, and shots where rushed, passes that normally work did not. We can't expect to play well against that type of defensive pressure if they are not giving that type of pressure in practice. Iron sharpens iron... Our defense is like lead, it's not sharpening anything.
It’s been a LONG time since I’ve seen a team be as effective at hedging an recovering as South Carolina was tonight. They were OUTSTANDING at it .

DJ was awful and completely killed offensive flow right away.

He just isn't an elite athlete. He relies on the left hand scoop. He struggles finishing that weak shot through contact. He went on a good run when he countered off that, but tonight he reverted.

Plus he never shared the ball. Was a complete ball killer which killed the offense
Reeves and DJ and Edwards were 2-15 in first half

Reeves 6-18 for the game. Shooting sucked tonight against a tough defense. Hero ball on display tonight

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Reed plays 14 minutes. Your best player has the shortest leash. What an idiot.. I've not said much about Cal, but he cares more about five stars than he does winning..

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
DJ: 3 assists in 30 minutes, 2-10 shooting and numerous stupid, selfish plays.

Reed: Played FOURTEEN, FOURTEEN, FOURTEEN MINUTES.

Edwards: TWENTY THREE MINUTES, 0-1 shooting and 2 rebounds.

Congrats, Cal, masterful job of coaching.

Fellas, you just witnessed how we're going to lose in the tournament in the second round.

Or the first.

Oh well, there's always next year, right calbois?
Reed only had 3 points and zero assists. Even if you double that, it isn't much.

Reed only had 3 points and zero assists. Even if you double that, it isn't much.
Doesn't matter. The best player should be playing. Go ahead, justify playing DJ 30 minutes after the poor showing he put on.

Right! JE played 23 minutes to Reed’s 14. No matter if Reed was playing bad or not, that’s inexcusable!

No because 1) he isn't a me first guy and we played me first offense tonight 2) we had virtually no assists because of #1

Like I said in another post, this was the pre-welch offense we had under cal. Ya sc is a nice defensive team, but not sure why we completely reversed in just a few days.

No because 1) he isn't a me first guy and we played me first offense tonight 2) we had virtually no assists because of #1

Like I said in another post, this was the pre-welch offense we had under cal. Ya sc is a nice defensive team, but not sure why we completely reversed in just a few days.
Seems like every time we get down or aren’t playing well, we revert to the BS Cal ball, where it’s a ton of iso and the ball sticks. Nobody is moving and nobody is passing the ball. I’m sorry, but DJ is a terrible PG. He’s not a PG at all. Been saying it for a couple years now.

I don't think you can say equally when he only played 14 sporadic mins. 3 mins here, 2 there, 1 at the end. Hard to get much rhythm like that. Meanwhile DJ played big mins and missed at least 3 layups.

Both were bad but just saying DJ was worse with less excuses looking at mins and shots.
Reed was the worst player on the floor tonight he contributed nothing on offense or defense. I love the kid and 99 games out of 100 I’d agree with you. However, he couldn’t play in this game. The physicality really bothered him. He’s just too soft.

Reed was the worst player on the floor tonight he contributed nothing on offense or defense. I love the kid and 99 games out of 100 I’d agree with you. However, he couldn’t play in this game. The physicality really bothered him. He’s just too soft.
Justify DJ going 2-10 and only 3 assists in 30 minutes. Go ahead.

Reactions: CincyUKFan
Play more and your best player might get into a flow and make you better. Reed makes everyone around him better and needs to be on the floor. Him playing only 14 minutes is inexcusable in any game. Edwards hasn't played a good game this year and was given 20 minutes to try and get himself going. I'm better off with DJ playing his 30 or so minutes because he usually plays fairly well.

Reactions: tomrain
Still a hellava lot more than Edwards gave us in his 23 minutes. This game unmercifully seemed like the last 3-4 years, CCC getting tea bagged on the road by a coach nobody has ever heard of. I can see the wheels falling off in the next couple weeks if they dont figure something out on defense. Maybe start by learning to guard the FREAKING out of bounds play. That is 10000% inexcusable!!!

Seems like every time we get down or aren’t playing well, we revert to the BS Cal ball, where it’s a ton of iso and the ball sticks. Nobody is moving and nobody is passing the ball. I’m sorry, but DJ is a terrible PG. He’s not a PG at all. Been saying it for a couple years now.
Do we have a PG?
Rob is a hell of a player but it's been primarily as a scorer.
I love Reed's BB IQ but I'm not sold on him as a starting PG.
I just think he's overmatched against a quality PG.
I don't think he would have fared well against the kid from K State last year and we all remember how Fox cooked Lonzo in the S16.
I just don't think Reed can take us on a run and let's face it, it's getting kind of late to redefine everyone's role.

Do we have a PG?
Rob is a hell of a player but it's been primarily as a scorer.
I love Reed's BB IQ but I'm not sold on him as a starting PG.
I just think he's overmatched against a quality PG.
I don't think he would have fared well against the kid from K State last year and we all remember how Fox cooked Lonzo in the S16.
I just don't think Reed can take us on a run and let's face it, it's getting kind of late to redefine everyone's role.
Agreed. I’m not quite sure we actually do have a legit PG.

Reactions: SkyPrince1
Yeah, man. Look, I love DJ’s driving ability. However, he just doesn’t really make other guys better. Once he drives, forget about it. That ball ain’t coming back out. A PG that doesn’t pass much simply isn’t a PG.
Once we got down DJ took it upon himself to try get us back in it. He should've continued to let the offense flow as normal. Reed on the other hand hasn't been great the last couple of games. I think once we got into SEC play, he move towards the top of the scouting report and teams have made it a priority to slow him down. It's kinda hard to say DJ doesn't make others better, coming off an 18 /10 assist game. One thing I have noticed is when the team faces adversity DJ tries to take it on himself to turn things around, which sometimes leads to things getting worse. Reed on the other hand after a little adversity gets really passive. Thats what you get from freshman, they will be alright.

Once we got down DJ took it upon himself to try get us back in it. He should've continued to let the offense flow as normal. Reed on the other hand hasn't been great the last couple of games. I think once we got into SEC play, he move towards the top of the scouting report and teams have made it a priority to slow him down. It's kinda hard to say DJ doesn't make others better, coming off an 18 /10 assist game. One thing I have noticed is when the team faces adversity DJ tries to take it on himself to turn things around, which sometimes leads to things getting worse. Reed on the other hand after a little adversity gets really passive. Thats what you get from freshman, they will be alright.
More often than not, DJ doesn’t make others better. It’s easy to see.

Was waiting for you to come along and defend DJ, which is really you defending CCC. Reed was not great tonight, but you know who was worse? DJ Wagner.

30 minutes
4 points
And his man scored on him at will.

He was Devin Askew level tonight.
He only had 1 turnover. Everyone was terrible last night defensively which is the only reason for the L last night. With as many bodies as UK has, the fix is to play pressure defense. UK can't defend pick and roll and hasn't really been able to for years now so might as well turn up the pressure and just continue to let them run.

He only had 1 turnover. Everyone was terrible last night defensively which is the only reason for the L last night. With as many bodies as UK has, the fix is to play pressure defense. UK can't defend pick and roll and hasn't really been able to for years now so might as well turn up the pressure and just continue to let them run.
Only reason for the L? How many did we score? Again, Wagner had 4 points in 30 minutes. And continues to think he’s the #1 option. It’s absurd.

Only reason for the L? How many did we score? Again, Wagner had 4 points in 30 minutes. And continues to think he’s the #1 option. It’s absurd.
Again he had 1 turnover and he took 10 shots. When you have the ball with 8 seconds left on the shot clock your more than likely going to be putting up the shot no matter who you are and most of Wagner's shots come with the shot clock winding down. You would think he took 30 shots the way you are portraying it.

Again he had 1 turnover and he took 10 shots. When you have the ball with 8 seconds left on the shot clock your more than likely going to be putting up the shot no matter who you are and most of Wagner's shots come with the shot clock winding down. You would think he took 30 shots the way you are portraying it.
He did go 1/7 in the first half, playing 16 minutes and attempting 22% of the teams shots. Reeves was as equally horrendous that half, going 1/7 himself.

Dilly, meanwhile, was 5/8 and we would’ve done well to give him the ball late in the shot clock.

He did go 1/7 in the first half, playing 16 minutes and attempting 22% of the teams shots. Reeves was as equally horrendous that half, going 1/7 himself.

Dilly, meanwhile, was 5/8 and we would’ve done well to give him the ball late in the shot clock.
If you remember UK was up 21 to 16 and Dilly had just hit back to back shots and Cal basically platooned that group out and it was all she wrote from that point on.

That’s unbelievable! Not really, but you know! Wtf is he thinking, playing Reed 14 minutes?! Are you kidding me?! 😡
I have no inside sources and know nothing but wondered last night if Reed wasn't feeling well. Not only was his play subpar for him but a couple of times when they showed the bench he looked like he just wasn't in it or was sick. It also might explain his limited minutes if he was feeling under the weather.

DJ was awful and completely killed offensive flow right away.

He just isn't an elite athlete. He relies on the left hand scoop. He struggles finishing that weak shot through contact. He went on a good run when he countered off that, but tonight he reverted.

Plus he never shared the ball. Was a complete ball killer which killed the offense
SC defense bottled up all our guards and didn’t let us get any good looks from 3. We had no offense that worked and very very few assists. We’re not a good half court team, which is a Cal staple.

I thought this was one of Cals worse substitution games of the season. Meanwhile, DJ is just chucking the ball left and right barely can hold onto it and Reed Is riding the pine, for what? At times he had O and Bradshaw in there together with Edwards. Cal is an idiot.

Also how do we not shoot a 3 hardly at all the last 8 minutes down big on the road. It's like Cal is saying drive to the basket with South Carolina Holding the Ball every possession down that much on the road you have to shoot some 3s. That's what we are good at. We only took 13 for the entire game. WTF? Cal drives me crazy.
I hate Cal, and the reason we didn’t shoot many threes is because SC pressured us out front and both wings and we ran no plays that could get us open. It a combination of SC’s game preparation and our coach’s (seemingly) lack of same.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT