ADVERTISEMENT

$9,000,000.00 a year & can't even defend an out of bounds play under the other teams basket

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
3 times in the 2nd half of the Georgia game, UGA got open layups of off in bounds plays under their basket. 1 or 2 of these times UK didn't have a single defender in the paint. Ever since Calipari has been here this has been happening over & over again. Then last night I lost count on how many times it happened. I mean any Jr. high coach in the state could defend this better than Calipari can. You either zone or you put a big under the basket & this doesn't happen. This is beyond embarrassing.

I understand a team getting you once. Maybe twice. No way it should be multiple times and over the course of two games. That's just horrific. Even more embarrassing the opposition had the play installed because they knew we wouldn't change our coverage. Then ran it over and over lol.

Why do you have to play help defense in the lane when you have multiple seven footers . The three point shots SC made were all wide open looks created by an entry pass

Clearly Cal was out coached. Cal is not going anywhere but he needs to completely retool his coaching staff. Keep only Ulis. Also his obsession for Edwards needs to end and he should go back to a starting line up of Adou, Mitchell, Reeves, Shepherd, and Dillingham. That small line up looked much better than what we are seeing on the floor when teams play physical ball against us.

Doesn’t have enough practice time to spend on it. THAT HAS BEEN HIS EXCUSE FOR YEARS.
That is what he says but he he funny thing other coaches seem to find time to work on defensive zone and offensive sone plays. Just like exactly are they practicing if they have no time? Are they working on their autographs? Are they working on their interview techniques?

Why do you have to play help defense in the lane when you have multiple seven footers . The three point shots SC made were all wide open looks created by an entry pass

I really wish someone in the media would ask him this, or somebody on his call-in show. Of course he’d just give some BS answer because there literally is no valid, logical explanation for it.

This fanbase understands how to play to your strengths better than Cal does and that’s sad. Totally agree with you there is no need for help D with the shot blockers we have, stick to your GD man and these embarrassing losses wouldn’t keep happening.

3 times in the 2nd half of the Georgia game, UGA got open layups of off in bounds plays under their basket. 1 or 2 of these times UK didn't have a single defender in the paint. Ever since Calipari has been here this has been happening over & over again. Then last night I lost count on how many times it happened. I mean any Jr. high coach in the state could defend this better than Calipari can. You either zone or you put a big under the basket & this doesn't happen. This is beyond embarrassing.
$9 million per year don't get you much anymore....could Cal be lobbying for a cost of living raise? This nightmare ain't going to end anytime soon...too much $$$$ still on the table.

That is what he says but he he funny thing other coaches seem to find time to work on defensive zone and offensive sone plays. Just like exactly are they practicing if they have no time? Are they working on their autographs? Are they working on their interview techniques?

Georgia and Carolina both had time to install one particular play to abuse a gap in only our defense defense. So a one game use at best. And they probably do the same for every team.

Yet we somehow don't have time to work on something widely applicable like zone or ball screen defense etc.

That's exactly why the "roll the ball out" comments started and why they persist.

I didn't get off work until about halftime so I had to listen on the radio the second half on my drive home. Goose Givens was beside himself because of them giving up so many layups on inbounds plays for a second game in a row. He questioned why they haven't made adjustments for that since the Georgia game. I know he and Tom Leach have to be measured on what they say on air especially if it's questioning or somewhat critical of the coaching. It's obvious though that they see and agree with a lot of our opinions about coaching decisions.

Givens also said he hopes a player will take a leadership role and tell Cal "Hey coach, we need to practice more, no time off or light practices. We want to fix this". He said many times after bad games someone would step up and tell Coach Hall "we want more practice time to get better" when he was playing.

Well 2 or 3 more times in the 2nd half of the Tennessee game an opponent got wide open layups/dunks against our out of bounds defense. How much longer is this embarrassing, incompetence going to continue.

I have never seen a coach so perplexed by defending an out of bounds play!
He said the guy under the basket was the wrong guy to be there. (Dilly both times followed his man) Then Reeves sleeping on the open 3. Said they worked on it, Lol

Last night when certain players made a turnover or a mistake they were immediately yanked. The so-called lottery picks were allowed to repeat mistakes. I just wish more players were allowed to play through mistakes.
Yep. Dilly got yanked twice after a stupid foul and defensive lapse. Reed got yanked after getting stripped twice at mid court. Bradshaw got yanked after losing rebounds. Edwards got yanked for taking a couple stupid shots and losing his man a couple times.

All “so called lotto picks” who all got yanked for continuous lapses on the court. But the alternatives aren’t much.

Who exactly do you want to have longer leashes??

If the manis capable of being embarrassed it should over this ( and the obvious , losing) but consistently getting torched on OOB plays is beyond bad , its embarrassing I'd think

The reason it hasn’t gotten better is because it’s brand new players every single year that are freshmen and haven’t been taught how to defend it yet. It’s 100% a reflection of the type of recruiting and turnover we have

Yep. Dilly got yanked twice after a stupid foul and defensive lapse. Reed got yanked after getting stripped twice at mid court. Bradshaw got yanked after losing rebounds. Edwards got yanked for taking a couple stupid shots and losing his man a couple times.

All “so called lotto picks” who all got yanked for continuous lapses on the court. But the alternatives aren’t much.

Who exactly do you want to have longer leashes??
Different game weeks ago.

Why don't the callers on the coaches call in show ever ask about things like this? Most of the time it's just a bunch of meaningless crap that nobody cares about. A guy like Bob from Jamestown loves calling in every week to be on the radio why wouldn't he ask a relevant question like why we have literally been burned on the in bounds under the basket for years and why can you not fix it? Or ask why we have three rim protectors but we can't extend our defense out to and beyond the three point line?

Last edited:
Here's a snapshot of the Calipari inbounds baseline denial defense strategy.

NQ9iD2F.jpeg

Why don't the callers on the coaches call in show ever ask about things like this? Most of the time it's just a bunch of meaningless crap that nobody cares about. A guy like Bob from Jamestown loves calling in every week to be on the radio why wouldn't he ask a relevant question like why we have literally burned on the in bounds under the basket and why can you not fix it? Or ask why we have three rim protectors but we can't extend our defense out to and beyond the three point line?
The tough questions and comments probably get screened and never make it to the coach.

^^ the entirety of that article is shocking .. the guy is a classic Ivory Tower guy , like a Washington politician with no connection at all to the real world . And Cal has no connection to the university , it's 100% about the sport and the players . Very eye opening read . Needs its own thread IMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT