ADVERTISEMENT

Options For Watching The Game For Cord Cutters?

Even YouTube is on on streaming these days for oldheads. You don't have to know some dark web corner to look in to find your programming.

Strange, I thought I already had...

"I have the internet."

You really haven't.

Other people are explaining that they pay for services available online.

So, please tell how you get to watch everything and not pay anything for it.

It will clearly help some people out.

Only channel I can't get anymore that I actually want is TLC.
I need to walk back my previous comment some. I glanced at the topic while at work and thought the game was in CBS. It's actually on CBS sports so my statements were invalid as it relates to the game. However my point is still the same. The remaining flaw in the streaming media outlets is that most of the time local broadcast networks are not included in the package. I can get just about everything for $20 a month that I used to get for $120 a month. Local stations is the exception. There are free options for ABC, NBC and CBS of course but you can't control the market. My free option for those networks runs out of Pittsburgh. That fine for nation events like the Super Bowl but it's going to suck for SEC football games on CBS. I still need to work that out.

Reactions: UKUGA
You really haven't.

Other people are explaining that they pay for services available online.

So, please tell how you get to watch everything and not pay anything for it.

It will clearly help some people out.

When does the narwhal bacon?

I need to walk back my previous comment some. I glanced at the topic while at work and thought the game was in CBS. It's actually on CBS sports so my statements were invalid as it relates to the game. However my point is still the same. The remaining flaw in the streaming media outlets is that most of the time local broadcast networks are not included in the package. I can get just about everything for $20 a month that I used to get for $120 a month. Local stations is the exception. There are free options for ABC, NBC and CBS of course but you can't control the market. My free option for those networks runs out of Pittsburgh. That fine for nation events like the Super Bowl but it's going to suck for SEC football games on CBS. I still need to work that out.

SEC on CBS is still national.

The biggest issue tends to be if there is a regional game with a noon kick-off that runs long and you miss the start of the SEC game.

There may be some markets that pre-empt the SEC game for regional conference games, but I've not heard of that being an issue.

I think that's my point.

People are still "forking over money" for (an)other services to watch games.

In 1980, we had a small cable bill, a phone bill, and paid for long-distance calls.

Combine the amount spent then on those services, to what people pay today for cell/data, internet, and whatever programming packages they are paying for, whether over the Internet, or through cable/satellite.

Yes, it's better. But, nothing's really free.

You are paying for it, unless you are stealing it. (And that's been going on for a long time, too).

It's not even in the same ball park. Even with the frustrations that sometimes spring up I am literally saving $100 a month. That's no small matter. I wouldn't have moved to streaming if I were save $20 a month or something but $100, hell yes. I just upped my package to $55 a month and that includes HBO. I was paying $120 a month with no HBO.

My internet bills are the same either way and don't affect this at all. I am required to be available at home for work so I need good internet either way. Cell phone my work pays for.

I'm no fan of millennials but you have to give credit where credit is due. They were right on streaming TV. Cable bills have gotten to the point were they should be criminal. Streaming TV is blowing that out of the water. It's funny that Directv now is less than half the cost of Directv and you get the same stuff. And you don't have to pay the monthly equipment fees. Talk about out outrageous charges. After being a customer for 10 years I think I've paid off my equipment by now. Why the $10 a month charges? And why charge for HD content? They don't with their online package. Cable fees were in bad need of a market correction and it looks like that is going to take root.

Reactions: JDHoss
Even YouTube is on on streaming these days for oldheads. You don't have to know some dark web corner to look in to find your programming.
I've tried all the providers except Hulu and YouTube. How is YouTube compared to the others? So far from what I have seen Sling is the best.

It's not even in the same ball park. Even with the frustrations that sometimes spring up I am literally saving $100 a month. That's no small matter. I wouldn't have moved to streaming if I were save $20 a month or something but $100, hell yes. I just upped my package to $55 a month and that includes HBO. I was paying $120 a month with no HBO.

My internet bills are the same either way and don't affect this at all. I am required to be available at home for work so I need good internet either way. Cell phone my work pays for.

I'm no fan of millennials but you have to give credit where credit is due. They were right on streaming TV. Cable bills have gotten to the point were they should be criminal. Streaming TV is blowing that out of the water. It's funny that Directv now is less than half the cost of Directv and you get the same stuff. And you don't have to pay the monthly equipment fees. Talk about out outrageous charges. After being a customer for 10 years I think I've paid off my equipment by now. Why the $10 a month charges? And why charge for HD content? They don't with their online package. Cable fees were in bad need of a market correction and it looks like that is going to take root.

My point on the Internet bill is pretty straightforward. We pay a lot of money for a service that none of us used to have. This service is expensive for many, but allows us to reduce (and in some instances) eliminate the cost for programming.

But, you are still paying for Internet. Sometimes, a lot.

Individual circumstances vary, I know. One person gets reimbursed by his employer for something, someone else has has 3 good ISP options and can get service for less, etc.

That being said - there is internet, cell, data, cable, phone.

Choose your poison. Virtually all consumers are paying for at least 3 of those. And the amount they pay is quite a bit. You really can't separate what you pay for Internet from your ability to use Internet to save on your cable services. They are related, and the same companies offer both. They know what they are doing.

Even most of those who cut cable, end up paying for programming in some form, even if it's a simple $10/month for a single service, such as Hulu.

And I still remain a little surprised at what people say they were paying for DIRECTV. I've never had a bill hit these levels. But I do work them regularly.

I've tried all the providers except Hulu and YouTube. How is YouTube compared to the others? So far from what I have seen Sling is the best.

Download a quality adblocker, uBlock origin is my recommendation for ease of use for people who don't want to go through a set-up, it's what I've installed for my folks. It'll get rid of annoying ads and kill malware links before they can open. After that, it's a matter of chasing down your links, anything plainly stated gets torn down quick. Billionth from this site is a great place for UK streams.

There's an ease of use appeal to Roku/fire stick/Hulu services, an older generation of cord cutter is big on that like my parents. Kodi shoots the gap between those services and hunting down your own links. Living outside of America, the name services don't work as well "in your region", most content is blocked.

I think that's the point. The costs, when broken down, are the same.

And they are actually higher than they used to be.

Most recognize that cable, in its current form, is a dying animal.

The point is that the media conglomerates are going to get theirs. It's just a matter of when the last few decide to pull the cable plug.

The media companies know it is happening, and have already created the new (and higher) revenue streams to keep them going.

People who keep cable (for now), keep it largely because they want better access to local channels, and want DVR capabilities.

Within a few years, that goes away.

Throw in the fact, that the same companies (Verizon, ATT), are also pulling in large cell/data bills each month, they still have a huge share of your wallet, even as you let the cable go.

Someone can call a data plan "a different service", and that's fine. It is a different service. It is still a service that almost everyone pays for and it's something they used to not pay for 20 years ago.

And the revenue is going to same people that provide cable service, the service that people are so proud to cut.

Again, it's about counting up the total media dollar spent, and being honest about whether we are really saving money, or if we are just shifting our expenditures around.

And we still haven't talked about what people pay for Netflix, Amazon (prime), Hulu, etc.
Yep, we're on the same page. Am I saving money? Yes. But if you broke down the cable costs if I used Spectrum, Im probably paying the exact same as if I were paying them only for the specific servicew I use through Sling.

If ESPN and Fox and a handful of these other one off networks would just get together and allow a legitimate sports streaming service they could do just fine. I'm not sure how much the streaming business has yet to impact the TV rights for college sports.....there are a lot of cable subscribers who are subsidizing these huge TV payouts we get and given the option will eventually quit subsidizing by not paying for those sports channels. As it stands with Sling you get either the ESPN/Disney or FOX family in its two base packages so they havent begun to impact the sports marketplace quite yet.

Myself given the option would pay only for the aforementioned sports service and probably Netflix and be done. 99.9% of live TV programming is pure garbage IMO.

Reactions: UKUGA
Yep, we're on the same page. Am I saving money? Yes. But if you broke down the cable costs if I used Spectrum, Im probably paying the exact same as if I were paying them only for the specific servicew I use through Sling.

If ESPN and Fox and a handful of these other one off networks would just get together and allow a legitimate sports streaming service they could do just fine. I'm not sure how much the streaming business has yet to impact the TV rights for college sports.....there are a lot of cable subscribers who are subsidizing these huge TV payouts we get and given the option will eventually quit subsidizing by not paying for those sports channels. As it stands with Sling you get either the ESPN/Disney or FOX family in its two base packages so they havent begun to impact the sports marketplace quite yet.

Myself given the option would pay only for the aforementioned sports service and probably Netflix and be done. 99.9% of live TV programming is pure garbage IMO.

Thanks for your post. Good points.

I am trying to plan ahead for the game next weekend and unfortunately Sling TV doesn't have that station (at least not in my package). I was going to try and watch it using the CBS Sports Network app and using my mom's cable login, but Spectrum/Time Warner wasn't listed for use with it.

I did see HULU listed as an option. Can anyone confirm that they carry that station on their streaming tv service? I might do their 7 day free trial for their service if so. I don't know of any other option besides someone streaming it on here.

Hulu does have that station and it does work. They even have a 7 day free trial, so you don't have to make a long term switch.

Pretty soon, the cord cutters will be back to paying what they used to pay for cable/satellite. They just won't be calling is cable/satellite.

They will, however, be calling it "expensive."
And it will still be better. Plus all the savings until then.

This topic has jumped the shark. How about we keep it to options for watching the game Saturday and not criticize the people that don't use traditional means? Start another thread to argue the cost comparisons.

I am going to try out the HULU version. I've used my free trial before on their regular streaming service so I will have to use my wife's email to do it I guess for the live tv trial.

And it will still be better. Plus all the savings until then.

It gets better all the time. That's never been in question.

But, the over-all share of wallet has increased.

It's a pretty simple point that a lot of people seem to miss: Many people pay a lot of money for high-speed Internet. Paying for this Internet allows them to not pay for expensive cable/equipment packages.

I get that.

But, without the Internet, you're "free" cable options go away.

When everyone gets "free" high-speed Internet, then that's really the coup.

It gets better all the time. That's never been in question.

But, the over-all share of wallet has increased.

It's a pretty simple point that a lot of people seem to miss: Many people pay a lot of money for high-speed Internet. Paying for this Internet allows them to not pay for expensive cable/equipment packages.

I get that.

But, without the Internet, you're "free" cable options go away.

When everyone gets "free" high-speed Internet, then that's really the coup.

Cord cutters are saving money on cable, but they still have to pay their car insurance!!1!1!!!11

Cord cutters are saving money on cable, but they still have to pay their car insurance!!1!1!!!11

It's a different beast altogether. The media conglomerates don't offer car insurance, the last time I checked.

It's simple, but some refuse to recognize it; in part, because they want to feel good about all the money they are "saving".
We didn't pay for Internet 25 years ago. Now we do, and many pay handsomely. The same companies that offer Internet, also offer cable. These companies fully expect you to cut the cord in time. That's a big part of the reason why they got into the Internet game themselves.

If you cut off Internet, your "free" cable goes away.

You should try it. Get rid of the Internet and see how much you enjoy watching your free streams.

Dude stop arguing about it. Everyone pretty much has internet regardless of their tv choice. So stop using that as an excuse to have cable or satellite. Even without tv options I have internet for gaming, social media, shopping, news, kid's schooling, etc. My kids both have Chromebooks from their schools to do school work on. So I'd have internet regardless of my tv watching option. I'm sure others would as well.

Now using that internet that we all already pay for to find a cheaper tv watching experience is what this is about. I pay $55 for internet, $25 for Sling TV, and about $10 for Netflix. If I tried to just add cable to my internet they would charge me something like $140 and make me get a home phone. So I'm saving at least $50 a month. That may not sound like much to you, but $600 more money a year comes in pretty handy.

Now back to the original topic.

Reactions: JDHoss
You should try it. Get rid of the Internet and see how much you enjoy watching your free streams.

I really don't understand the point of this question. I have to have internet anyway so how does having internet count as a negative to online streaming. This pretty much like saying cut off your electricity and see how good your traditional cable provider is. I am going to pay for internet regardless. That bill is locked in. From there it's a choice of paying $20 a month or $120 a month.

Reactions: KyCatFan and JDHoss
I really don't understand the point of this question. I have to have internet anyway so how does having internet count as a negative to online streaming. This pretty much like saying cut off your electricity and see how good your traditional cable provider is. I am going to pay for internet regardless. That bill is locked in. From there it's a choice of paying $20 a month or $120 a month.

<UKUGAVoice>
Hoooo boy...

Alright, fancy smart guy cord cutter, but have you ever thought about this: you saved by getting rid of archaic cable/satellite setup, but you STILL pay for groceries!

Let me know how much you love your precious internet streaming once you stop eating food and die of starvation!
</UKUGAVoice>

Reactions: StubbornPenny
Dude stop arguing about it. Everyone pretty much has internet regardless of their tv choice. So stop using that as an excuse to have cable or satellite. Even without tv options I have internet for gaming, social media, shopping, news, kid's schooling, etc. My kids both have Chromebooks from their schools to do school work on. So I'd have internet regardless of my tv watching option. I'm sure others would as well.

Now using that internet that we all already pay for to find a cheaper tv watching experience is what this is about. I pay $55 for internet, $25 for Sling TV, and about $10 for Netflix. If I tried to just add cable to my internet they would charge me something like $140 and make me get a home phone. So I'm saving at least $50 a month. That may not sound like much to you, but $600 more money a year comes in pretty handy.

Look at Billionth's site for all UK related streams. General sports can be found elsewhere but if you're basically happy with your other options for things except UK football/basketball, Billionth's is a one stop shop.
http://ukbasketballlive.com

I use that as a last resort. I have had issues with live streams from some of our fans' streaming sites. I don't know if it is my internet, older computer, or something on the other end of the stream. It is probably our 5+ year old laptop. So I try to stick with services that don't require a computer to use as a first option. Like my Roku or Fire Stick. I'll have one of those sites ready as a backup if the HULU option doesn't happen for some reason.

It's relevant because of who is providing the service. The same people who offer cable and phone, offer Internet. These companies (with the help of the free market), dictate the price of Internet service.

They know they are losing cable subscribers, and that influences, in part, how much they charge your for Internet. (It also influences how much they charge you for cell and data services, as well).

Accordingly, you pay $20, $30, $40, $50, $60, $70, etc. a month for Internet, which is an entirely new expense (didn't exist 25 years) ago, and then feel "good' when you cut cable expenses.

It's very simple math. Compare what you paid for phone + cable in 1990, to what you pay for cell + data + Internet + television (cable/streaming) today.

You say, "I have to have Internet", and that's the point. They know you have to have it, and fully expect you to leverage it to change the way you access televised entertainment.

What you call "savings", is what the media conglomerates expect you to do, and they are building it into their business plans.

You missed the point.

It is not an argument for having cable/satellite.

I have never made the argument that you should have cable or satellite.

The point is that what many people are calling "savings", is really reflective of a shifting of expense from traditional cable to Internet driven cable.

Quit paying for the Internet, and you can't do these things. But, everyone is admitting that they can't go without Internet.

They (the media companies) have this revenue, they expect to lose the traditional cable revenue over time.

Last edited:
<UKUGAVoice>
Hoooo boy...

Alright, fancy smart guy cord cutter, but have you ever thought about this: you saved by getting rid of archaic cable/satellite setup, but you STILL pay for groceries!

Let me know how much you love your precious internet streaming once you stop eating food and die of starvation!
</UKUGAVoice>

Still not the point.

Congrats on continuing to miss it and coming up with analogies that don't work.

Have fun paying rent. I bet you don't pay property taxes, either.

UPDATE: Just want to give a heads up on the totinos trial of HuluLiveTV
The totino's 45 day trial only applies to the basic ($7.99) package.
There is only a 7 day trial for HULUTV LIVE ($39.99) package.

I signed up for the totinos offer with a code only to discover that I would have to upgrade to get the UK game Sat. Now, I only have 7 day trial. No streaming for the HuluLive tv on Roku so I'll be using my laptop to stream from hulu.com.

How to stream from your laptop/pc:
From the help page:
"To access this new experience on hulu.com:

1. Ensure your browser and operating system meets these minimum requirements:
Supported browsers include Internet Explorer 11 or above, Firefox 15 or above, Safari 10 or above, and the latest versions of Firefox, Chrome, and Edge
Supported operating systems include Microsoft Windows 10 and Macintosh OS X 10.11 or above
2. Sign in to your account on hulu.com
3. Hover over your account name in the top-right corner.
Select Watch Hulu with Live TV Beta
4. Enable location services for your browser. If you’re not prompted to do so automatically, here’s how for Safari, Chrome, and Internet Explorer.
Enjoy!"

Do a search on hulu for access instructions on other devices.

Hope this info helps.

Ahh, politics.. I will still have my game this Saturday. Thank you to all you folks who loosen your "purse strings" for corporate america. God Bless you. God Bless God, God Bless the Televisions... God Bless the Cable networks, the Directv networks, Espn. God Bless Electricity. -- Richard Christy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT