ADVERTISEMENT

TV for the Eastern Kentucky game-there is none-streaming only on ESPN app

Glenn's take

All-American
May 20, 2012
PEOPLE BLOCKED BY SPECTRUM SEE THE EDIT AT THE BOTTOM

\Just an FYI but next weeks game against Eastern is the one game this year that is streaming only. People are going to argue with me but they are going to be wrong. Here is what you need to know.

1. Unless you are stealing it, the ESPN app will be the only place to watch it.
2. Game is on SEC Network Plus. SEC Network Plus and ESPN Plus are NOT the same thing. SEC Network Plus is streaming only but is part of your cable/satellite/streaming package. ESPN Plus is something extra that you can buy that is streaming only. ESPN Plus does not give you access to regular ESPN programming. It is a completely separate package. You can pay $6 a month for it, $50 per year or bundle it with Hulu/Disney/ESPN + for whatever that costs. ESPN Plus is good for NHL fans because it is basically their Sunday ticket and you get a ton of lesser college sports. If you are a volleyball, softball, baseball or soccer fan you might like it. Having said that. YOU DO NOT NEED TO HAVE ESPN PLUS TO WATCH NEXT WEEKS GAME. YOU DO NEED TO KNOW YOUR CABLE/SATELLITE/STREAMING PROVIDER LOGIN AND PASSWORD.

pause for the people that are going to argue and tell me you need ESPN Plus. You're wrong. Get over yourself.

3. Get the ESPN app on whatever system you have. I have Rokus. Got to the top right where it says setting and sign in with your cable/satellite/streaming login and password. Come game time you will go there and find the game and you should be able to watch.

No, you don't have to subscribe to ESPN Plus.

Edit: If you are blocked by Spectrum the game is available through ESPN Plus. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE ESPN PLUS (UNLESS YOU HAVE SPECTRUM) TO SEE IT. If you do have Spectrum you can purchase ESPN Plus for a month ($6 I think) and then cancel it. Spectrum can't block you from it doing it that way even if you have their internet. If you think you might keep ESPN Plus you can bundle it with Disney Plus and Hulu.

Last edited:
This will only happen more frequently. Ask the Big 10 fans about Paramount.

I fully expect in 2024 every SEC team will have 1 nonconference + 1 conference game streaming only.

At least in previous years, having my standalone ESPN+ subscription gave me access to the “online only” games

If you have internet….Sign up for Hulu with live TV, (you can subscribe month to month, or yearly for a slightly better cost savings)
Lots of sports channels and ESPN+ is included.

After I left cable, I signed up to YouTube TV, but I also had to subscribe to the ESPN app to watch these Internet streamed games.

Hulu Live is definitely a better value.

Good Luck!

If you have internet….Sign up for Hulu with live TV, (you can subscribe month to month, or yearly for a slightly better cost savings)
Lots of sports channels and ESPN+ is included.

After I left cable, I signed up to YouTube TV, but I also had to subscribe to the ESPN app to watch these Internet streamed games.

Hulu Live is definitely a better value.

Good Luck!
You didn't have to "subscribe" to the ESPN app when you had Youtube TV. You just had to install it and login with the YouTube TV credentials.

PEOPLE BLOCKED BY SPECTRUM SEE THE EDIT AT THE BOTTOM

\Just an FYI but next weeks game against Eastern is the one game this year that is streaming only. People are going to argue with me but they are going to be wrong. Here is what you need to know.

1. Unless you are stealing it, the ESPN app will be the only place to watch it.
2. Game is on SEC Network Plus. SEC Network Plus and ESPN Plus are NOT the same thing. SEC Network Plus is streaming only but is part of your cable/satellite/streaming package. ESPN Plus is something extra that you can buy that is streaming only. ESPN Plus does not give you access to regular ESPN programming. It is a completely separate package. You can pay $6 a month for it, $50 per year or bundle it with Hulu/Disney/ESPN + for whatever that costs. ESPN Plus is good for NHL fans because it is basically their Sunday ticket and you get a ton of lesser college sports. If you are a volleyball, softball, baseball or soccer fan you might like it. Having said that. YOU DO NOT NEED TO HAVE ESPN PLUS TO WATCH NEXT WEEKS GAME. YOU DO NEED TO KNOW YOUR CABLE/SATELLITE/STREAMING PROVIDER LOGIN AND PASSWORD.

pause for the people that are going to argue and tell me you need ESPN Plus. You're wrong. Get over yourself.

3. Get the ESPN app on whatever system you have. I have Rokus. Got to the top right where it says setting and sign in with your cable/satellite/streaming login and password. Come game time you will go there and find the game and you should be able to watch.

No, you don't have to subscribe to ESPN Plus.

Edit: If you are blocked by Spectrum the game is available through ESPN Plus. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE ESPN PLUS (UNLESS YOU HAVE SPECTRUM) TO SEE IT. If you do have Spectrum you can purchase ESPN Plus for a month ($6 I think) and then cancel it. Spectrum can't block you from it doing it that way even if you have their internet. If you think you might keep ESPN Plus you can bundle it with Disney Plus and Hulu.
Everything you said appears accurate, but I watched ESPN+ this weekend, as I cut the cord due to Spectrum, and all of the ESPN games that were live on cable were also being shown on ESPN+ live. I did notice that I was not able to rewind on ESPN+ live feed, but I was able to pause, though if you flip from game to game it takes you to live rather than where you left off. After the games are over they put the recording up on ESPN+, so you can watch the recorded game even if you failed to DVR it. I switched to the HULU live tv/ESPN+/Disney+ bundle it it costs $69/m, whereas I was paying $212/m for Spectrum with only HBO as premium, so saving $142/m, though I may add HBO/Max streaming for another $15. This package comes with unlimited DVR space, though old recording are erased after like 6-9 months. Only drawback seems to be navigation of channels. It takes longer to find what you are looking for, but the channels are in alphabetical order (no channel numbers to punch in to jump there), so you eventually get there.

I am 78 years old and I don't understand about streaming. My question is why do they stream games ? Is it because it brings in more money for ESPN or others ?

I am 78 years old and I don't understand about streaming. My question is why do they stream games ? Is it because it brings in more money for ESPN or others ?
Just the next generation past cable/satellite. No equipment, no contracts, way more options.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT