ADVERTISEMENT

The age old question ...again

SemperFiCat

All-American
Mar 2, 2009
Central Indy
Cutting the cord; YouTube TV or Hulu+sports?

I know, I know, it's been discussed here, but not in a while. And honestly, I didn't pay much attention because it wasn't applicable to me, then. Welp... need guidance now.

Last I looked it seemed like YTTV was best for my viewing and normal TV watching (Disc, History, FX NatGeo, TNT, stuff like that). That and obviously UK games and major sports stuff.

Would most of you recommend YTTV over Hulu+S, or can you offer any package/combo guidance? TIA!

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I use SlingTV with the sports package so I can get SECN. I think it might be the cheapest option for streaming- even though the price has doubled since I started using it 7 years ago.

I only use it for sports, and once the tournament is over I will put my subscription on hold until football starts up.

I know, I know, it's been discussed here, but not in a while. And honestly, I didn't pay much attention because it wasn't applicable to me, then. Welp... need guidance now.

Last I looked it seemed like YTTV was best for my viewing and normal TV watching (Disc, History, FX NatGeo, TNT, stuff like that). That and obviously UK games and major sports stuff.

Would most of you recommend YTTV over Hulu+S, or can you offer any package/combo guidance? TIA!
I tried both ~4 years or so ago and YT was by far the best for me. I have 5 different user for $80. It automatically records everything UK for me.

I don’t think I’ve missed a single UK game, basketball or football, since switching to YTTV. The unlimited DVR is amazing and it’s easy to navigate. Can’t give insight to the other platforms, but I’ve been very happy with YTTV and have no plans of leaving it.

There's a new option coming at some point that will be better and cheaper than all of them.

I subscribe to YouTube TV during college football season.

But during March madness, I think Sling Blue covers you for cheaper since the games are on CBS, TBS, TNT and TruTV.

YTTV is fantastic. They have raised the price a bit, and I do think the cable companies and tv/film industry have figured out a way to essentially make you pay the same price as we did when we all had cable boxes.

But it's great. DVR/TIVO capabilities built in

Reactions: bevcat
Super Elite Box...1 time payment, anything and EVERY possible: shows/movie/series/streaming/even concerts. Yes it's probably illegal in some weird way, but we can literally watch UK play regardless of who is carrying the game. It's a little overwhelming when you 1st start, but once you get your favorite apps to use, you start seeing the benefit. So, a 1 time payment of $350-400, depending on the site that's selling it, and a few quick uploads/apps and your watching TV.

Reactions: bevcat
Super Elite Box...1 time payment, anything and EVERY possible: shows/movie/series/streaming/even concerts. Yes it's probably illegal in some weird way, but we can literally watch UK play regardless of who is carrying the game. It's a little overwhelming when you 1st start, but once you get your favorite apps to use, you start seeing the benefit. So, a 1 time payment of $350-400, depending on the site that's selling it, and a few quick uploads/apps and your watching TV.

Oh it’s CERTAINLY illegal, but the laws about piracy haven’t caught up with streaming yet.

Back in the day, you download a movie and save it to a hard drive, boom, you have made a distrubted copy. Slam dunk legal win.

With streaming it’s easy to say you made no reproduction, you weren’t distributing, and it becomes way harder to prosecute the end user. So they go after the hosts, but most are off shore and cover their tracks well. Coupled with the fact that most people would rather have the easy experience of YTTV, cracking down on streaming just hasn’t been a priority.

They’ll make more money snagging 100 people on a YTTV free trial than they’ll ever make paying lawyers to chase ghosts.

The drawback is these android boxes require updates, of which the retail boxes often have a backdoor for a support team to refresh your illegal streaming providers. This backdoor could point to some nerd in his moms basement in Louisville, or the Chinese. But hell, if you have any apps on a phone you’re exposed to the Chinese anyway.

Just don’t enter a lot of personal info, maybe think about a VPN (some of the extensions still use torrent tech, which your ISP may flag) and ride the savings until the wheels fall off!

I use SlingTV with the sports package so I can get SECN. I think it might be the cheapest option for streaming- even though the price has doubled since I started using it 7 years ago.

I only use it for sports, and once the tournament is over I will put my subscription on hold until football starts up.
While SlingTV is cheapest you get what you pay for. IMO YoutubeTV has the best quality and local channels. Local channels is why I eventually got rid of Sling.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Oh it’s CERTAINLY illegal, but the laws about piracy haven’t caught up with streaming yet.

Back in the day, you download a movie and save it to a hard drive, boom, you have made a distrubted copy. Slam dunk legal win.

With streaming it’s easy to say you made no reproduction, you weren’t distributing, and it becomes way harder to prosecute the end user. So they go after the hosts, but most are off shore and cover their tracks well. Coupled with the fact that most people would rather have the easy experience of YTTV, cracking down on streaming just hasn’t been a priority.

They’ll make more money snagging 100 people on a YTTV free trial than they’ll ever make paying lawyers to chase ghosts.

The drawback is these android boxes require updates, of which the retail boxes often have a backdoor for a support team to refresh your illegal streaming providers. This backdoor could point to some nerd in his moms basement in Louisville, or the Chinese. But hell, if you have any apps on a phone you’re exposed to the Chinese anyway.

Just don’t enter a lot of personal info, maybe think about a VPN, and ride the savings until the wheels fall off!
That's the plan. It's simply ridiculous to think at how much we were spending on daily entertainment. At least for interim, we can pocket some cash until it gets "zapped". Thankfully the updates are easy, and I've got cat-5 cable ran from router to the box to help with speeds/buffering.

Reactions: StubbornPenny
YouTubeTV is great. Not sure if the other options have the four way split screen but it’s straight from the Gods, especially during conference and NCAAT time. Enough to make a grown man cry

While SlingTV is cheapest you get what you pay for. IMO YoutubeTV has the best quality and local channels. Local channels is why I eventually got rid of Sling.
Digital antenna gets me the local channels. I don’t watch live tv outside of sports, so the combo of sling and antenna works for me.

I've tried virtually every Live TV streaming service. FuboTV, Sling Orange+Blue, Playstation VUE, Hulu+TV, and the DirecTV one. YTTV hands down for reliability, lack of glitchiness, number of platforms it works on and works well on, picture quality, and interface.

Had a few horror stories on Sling and VUE (which is defunct now) where a UK game was about to go to overtime and it decided to rewind like 15 minutes right as the final shot to win the game was put up. I don't remember the exact details but it was frustrating enough to cancel that service immediately and switch, and then for it to happen again, either during OT or heading to OT on the other service was almost enough to make me switch back to cable. Almost.

EDIT:
And the quad box for BBall games is 🤌 especially for NCAAT.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Also first thing to do when you get YouTubeTV is go to your library and add your favorite sports teams, shows, etc. save them once and it will record all games indefinitely with no storage limit. Outside of tournament games, I hardly watch games live anymore, always wait an hour or so and try to time to catch up by end of game.

The ability to watch on your tv or cell is a huge plus too

I love YTTV for UK games, but I OFTEN find that it won't let me watch other games out of conference that I want to watch.

I've had Hulu live for years and I'm satisfied with it, never tried YTTV.

Only problem is it's all creeping up gradually towards dish prices. When I first got hulu it was 35 bucks a month, now it's like 80. Stop adding dumb channels, I don't care about the gardening channel.

YTTV for me. I used to be a Sling guy but Youtube is much stronger with the unlimited DVR concept.

The issue for me and YTTV is the lack of baseball coverage, since the MLB Network is no longer offered. It got pulled early last year and there doesn't appear to be any movement to add it back this year.

It is great for UK sports, like most other streaming services, and it does offer the awesome ability to watch 4 games on 1 screen.

I've had Hulu live for years and I'm satisfied with it, never tried YTTV.

Only problem is it's all creeping up gradually towards dish prices. When I first got hulu it was 35 bucks a month, now it's like 80. Stop adding dumb channels, I don't care about the gardening channel.
That’s why we got rid of Hulu. It seemed to increase each month, and we didn’t even watch nearly a 1/3 of the channels. The next problem was none of the other streaming services had any better rates. Sure, you could benefit from a sign-up deal but at the end of that offer, you’re right back in the same price range.

This! Same thing we do. Also, we ordered the package where we got the antenna and Air TV for locals. Will get free locals for life that way.

Reactions: WeWant9
I have YouTube after 10+ years with direct tv and I like it a lot. The best thing is a customizable guide. So I only have the channels I’m interested in and organized in any order I want. I also like that I have the exact guide etc on my phone and I can use it with or without my phone when I’m out of town.

Went to Chicago and used my YouTube instead of a cable setup that I didn’t know know where anything was

I see no downside.

I don’t watch a lot of TV outside of sports, and Prime/Disney+/etc. covers most of what my 5 year old watches. So Sling with the sports package was my best option when I lived in Lexington. But living in a rural area now, I can’t pick up local channels with an antenna because of the hills, so I switched to YTTV because I do enjoy watching WYMT/WLEX/KET at times. So I guess it just depends where you live. Both services offer no-fee suspension at any time, which is nice.

YTTV doesn't have the History Channel.

I still think YTTV is the best platform, and you can get a standard hulu membership for 1.99 per month if you sign up on black friday weekend. They post all of History Channels content on there for streaming.

Reactions: Greatestalltime

YTTV. Hands down is the best option. You can also get the NFL ticket which is great. I love that you can watch four games at once if you want. Never had an issue. I have an Xbox X that I can use for ESPN plus.

I use antennas for local and have espn app (if you know someone n family that has direct TV and is ok with it nothing beats free), prime, peacock and discovery plus. I also get paramount plus included with our lazy Walmart delivery monthly subscription.

I get all my needed sports from those and they all have good libraries of shows and movies.

I have had YouTube TV before and liked it. Like everything else it kept getting pricier.

We looked into going to YTTV or Hulu/Live. Spectrum was trying to raise our rates so we played the little game with them and actually got it slightly lower than what we had been paying. Unfortunately the cost savings isn't quite what it was a few years ago. Even dumping Spectrum altogether and going to another ISP like ATT and going to either YTTV or Hulu wouldn't have been much of a savings if any at all for us. So sticking with Spectrum for now, but I've not qualms at all if Spectrum becomes unreasonable to jump ship.

I’ve had yttv for about six years. about one third the cost of what i was paying for cable. really like it.
I just wish i could get espn+ and sec+ without an add on fee.

I have not used Hulu+, so I can't compare them. It and Sling were considered when I picked YouTube TV. And YTTV has given me no reason to leave. Sure the price has gone up $10-15 the past 5 years. What hasn't? But what you get is excellant.
- over 5 years there has been only a couple of exhibition games I couldn't watch on it
- once I set it to record a UK game (5 years ago) I no longer have to do anything, it finds them all and automatically records them & saves them (for at least a year)
- I like how you can set the order the channels are shown in the guide, so I have all the ones that show college basketball at the top, followed by other channels I watch
- get lots of channels
- the price is much better than cable or DTV
- they do on occasion add stuff, like recently they added an easy way to go back and forth between 2 channels
- if there is a drawback, I've not seen it yet (in 5 years)

I don’t watch a lot of TV outside of sports, and Prime/Disney+/etc. covers most of what my 5 year old watches. So Sling with the sports package was my best option when I lived in Lexington. But living in a rural area now, I can’t pick up local channels with an antenna because of the hills, so I switched to YTTV because I do enjoy watching WYMT/WLEX/KET at times. So I guess it just depends where you live. Both services offer no-fee suspension at any time, which is nice.
Absolutely dependent on where you reside, 100%.

Moving as we speak. Absolutely SUCKS! Especially when doing a complete renovation on top of that. Ugh!
Dang. My friends just did something similar. They are still living out of an RV in their driveway. My biggest wrinkle has been moving a few larger aquariums. So far no fish issues though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT