ADVERTISEMENT

MLB Draft Round 16 Last Round

Bump for @quest4#9

And, btw @drcats2013 I’m sorry if it felt like I was singling out & slamming your pick. I didn’t mean it that way. I was just explaining my opinion & he happened to be the one who was drafted when the topic came up so I used him to make a point. Good thing about Bonds is he was so good before steroids that even if ppl discount his SF years he’s still one of the best LFers ever.
Lord no, brother lol. We need to talk things out. This is all for fun and not to get mad over. My entire point is just you can’t penalize someone for something that does not change what they were. He was a stud and I drafted a stud. He is also a cheating prick if we’re being honest, but his skill level cannot be changed whether it was enhanced or not, and I drafted that skill. Hall of fame Determination is different than simply using his skill that created records that still stand today.

Sorry I’ve not been active for a while. Just got home from Wasiato golf course. So glad they’re back open lol

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I'm really torn on this pick. One a brilliant old timer, the other a brilliant modern player. They are very different players but both were utterly dominate. I almost wish someone else had already picked one of them. Ugh, I know I'm gonna screw up this draft. Based on quotes from all time greats that I will list in the voting rounds, I pick:

Walter "Big Train" Johnson

@CB3UK you are OTC

Interesting thread.....

One question, since i’m not good at analyzing stats, but why wouldn’t someone simply draft next available player with the highest all time WAR?

Interesting thread.....

One question, since i’m not good at analyzing stats, but why wouldn’t someone simply draft next available player with the highest all time WAR?
Because it’s not just about WAR, similar to how basketball is not just about PER. I take into account the player’s other major stats (HR, Hits, BA, OPS, etc), the player’s peak, and how they performed under the pressure of the postseason.

Haha there are some others, but I think he deserves to be in discussion for the GOAT. Definitely my favorite player ever, and without injuries he’d probably be all time HR leader without the roids.

Reactions: DraftCat
Haha there are some others, but I think he deserves to be in discussion for the GOAT. Definitely my favorite player ever, and without injuries he’d probably be all time HR leader without the roids.
Love, Junior . . . Injuries kept him from Aaron like numbers. +700 homers / +3000 hits. And the re-learning that beautiful swing, coming back from injuries. If not for that, could have flirted with career +.300 avg.

Reactions: quest4#9
Love, Junior . . . Injuries kept him from Aaron like numbers. +700 homers / +3000 hits. And the re-learning that beautiful swing, coming back from injuries. If not for that, could have flirted with career +.300 avg.

Griffey is like the 2015 Wildcats for me... love the team / player however hate to talk about the what ifs

Definitely a sore spot

FlakyOnlyDrever-max-1mb.gif

His swing was as beautiful as a Stevie Ray Vaughan Guitar solo.

Griffey is like the 2015 Wildcats for me... love the team / player however hate to talk about the what ifs

Definitely a sore spot
With Jr., the glass is more than 1/2 full. The thing that irks me about junior's career #s is that people see it as a shortfall to Bonds'. But who is a HOF'r. And when you look at Bonds' numbers, don't you think he would have preferred to have swung at a few more pitches, tempted the pitcher to work him more? Instead of walking all of those ungodly times, being the home run king, falling 65 hits shy of 3000, 2 points below a career .300, and four (count 'em, 4), RBIs shy of 2000? He gave up a lot to get a lot, Bonds.

I was planning on a different strategy going in but there are a cpl guys I wasn’t expecting to be there & I can’t pass. I’ll take one of the greatest hitters & run producers to ever play & only a horrible, degenerative disease could keep him out of the lineup; Lou Gehrig.

@LukaszObrzut OTC

Me too but when you have this vast of a pool to draw from, lots of different opinions are going to arise.

There’s a player left that I am SHOCKED has not been taken
More than one for me. I think it depends on one's strategy. If picking "next best" available, fine. But will that get the votes needed? Are the all-time best players in the voter's conscious of having been a great world series performer? Some all-time greats never won a world series, or played in one, or few. So again, it's all about what your strategy is to solicit votes.

We haven't even made it thru the 1st round and already the feedback is interesting. Wait til the voting rounds.

"A man has to have goals--for a day, for a lifetime--- and that was mine, to have people say,
There goes Ted Williams the greatest hitter of all time"

Give me the 19 year vet- (literally vet) whose career averages of .344/.482/.634 put him in the elite of the elite-- and is said by many to be the best pure hitter to ever play.

Give me Teddy "Ballgame" Williams

"A man has to have goals--for a day, for a lifetime--- and that was mine, to have people say,
There goes Ted Williams the greatest hitter of all time"

Give me the 19 year vet- (literally vet) whose career averages of .344/.482/.634 put him in the elite of the elite-- and is said by many to be the best pure hitter to ever play.

Give me Teddy "Ballgame" Williams
That’s the guy. I thought it would go Ruth, Mays, Williams at the start.

Reactions: drcats2013
That’s the guy. I thought it would go Ruth, Mays, Williams at the start.
Ted would have been a reasonable top 3 pick maybe. But, in his only world series he hit a disappointing .200 with only a single RBI.

Ted would have been a reasonable top 3 pick maybe. But, in his only world series he hit a disappointing .200 with only a single RBI.

How unfortunate for him to get pegged in the elbow before the World Series and likely not be your normal self early on- and workouts prior.

Reactions: KopiKat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT