ADVERTISEMENT

KSR Rumor About Dickinson

Last year's team was doomed by the program promoting it as Oscar University instead of Kentucky. I get they were trying to get fans excited after a rotten end to the season but that was delusional and ignorant. That's NOT on the player, team, etc..it's on Cal and the Athletic Department.
Always an excuse for the offense. Is that what it was when St Peters beat us too? Is that what it was when we had the most embarrassing season of any living UK fans life?

Reactions: KFuqua
10,000%.

It astounds me some of the opinions on this board, it truly does.

Our lack of elite guard play is why we haven't excelled in the tournament of late, absolutely NOTHING to do with Oscar.

But that changes next year (assuming Reeves comes back).

Wagner
Dillingham
Reeves
Edwards

That group will be as elite a perimeter group as we have had here in a long, long time.
Good points and don’t forget Sheperd as well

taking Tshiebwe for his rebounding with the new crew.
i think these freshmen going to push him.
he comes back... and goes NBA first round next year after our Championship!
Oscar is never going 1st round of any NBA Draft. I understand fans loyalty and support but there comes a point it's just a fantasy world where what you want as a fan doesn't mesh with what reality of the Pro game is about.

When it comes to character alone, I'd take him over Dickinson. Prefer neither personally for the fit of the '24 team, but what I think doesn't matter or make what I think correct.

I don’t believe that by the end of this week an NBA team is going to tell Oscar they will draft him.

You think Jamal Mashburn would have won 1 tournament game if he played next to Reeves who shot 1/15 or Ty Ty/Grady who combined to shoot 3/19?

Nope.
Yes- Mash beats St Peters and KSU. Mash was an automatic bucket when you really needed it. We had no one who could score late, when it counted in those tourney losses.

The O that Mash created would’ve changed the complexion of both those games.

Reactions: gharding07
I'm old

Oscar is a Wildcat, and if he wants to be here, he is our guy.

If another player wants to put demands on UK, I'm sure thats the world we live in today, but I'm fine with him finding another program where he doesn't encourage them to push out a former NPOY and AA
This is where I’m at Oscar all day everyday and twice on Sunday!

Reactions: KFuqua and dl51344
Oscar is never going 1st round of any NBA Draft. I understand fans loyalty and support but there comes a point it's just a fantasy world where what you want as a fan doesn't mesh with what reality of the Pro game is about.

When it comes to character alone, I'd take him over Dickinson. Prefer neither personally for the fit of the '24 team, but what I think doesn't matter or make what I think correct.

In your opinion do we end up with one of them? Or HD just using us for leverage? Odds Oscar chases the pro dream?

Going strictly off slater comments I would say Dickinson has a lot better chance of happening then everybody expected

There's very valid arguments about preferring Dickinson over Oscar but the one I cannot understand for the life of me is this notion of well Oscar was on the team that had two tournament losses. As if he was the reason we lost those games.

We talk all the time on here since Cal has been here about players coming and going. How you can't win with a revolving door, yet some want the former national player of the year to go. If you don't want him back, I'm not sure why you'd want anyone back.

IMO guy wants to come back, we should welcome them with open arms. We have a ton of freshmen that are going to be expected to be big time contributors next season, a little leadership from upper classmen isn't the worst thing in the world. And yeah u can get that from transfers as well but guys that have already been in the system take less time to adapt.

There has to be a happy medium where Oscar doesn't play "Ole" defense in the post to let his man score easily. For most any coach, that's an easy adjustment. But I believe 100% that Cal told him to play that way to minimize foul burden. So the answer is to tell him to play defense with intensity AND have capable backups to come in when he's on the bench 4 minutes into each half.
This. He was clearly playing to stay out of foul trouble most of the time. We had no other option. That shouldn’t be the case next season.

As I said, I want Tshiebwe back. The more I think about, the more I am for it.

As Son of Saul and others have pointed out, Tshiebwe’s lack of success in the postseason the last two seasons was not because of his individual play.

The last two seasons have been decimated by injuries. In 22 we had arguably the best team in the nation before Washington and Grady got injured. In 23, we had statistically the most efficient lineup in the country until Fredrick got hurt (he never really was healthy) and Wallace also got banged up.

Reactions: KFuqua and Jazzycat
It's still Cal coaching these guys. Mash under Pitino isn't Mash under Cal. I have no idea if a guy like Mash would be allowed to play like he did 30 years ago. Until Cal is gone I'm not sure any of this matters.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Also, Cal can't prepare a team to overcome a bad shooting night. How many times have we seen it? Shots don't fall, Cal slows the game down and we chuck bad threes and try to force feed the post. Turnovers and bricked threes. Rinse and repeat

As I said, I want Tshiebwe back. The more I think about, the more I am for it.

As Son of Saul and others have pointed out, Tshiebwe’s lack of success in the postseason the last two seasons was not because of his individual play.

The last two seasons have been decimated by injuries. In 22 we had arguably the best team in the nation before Washington and Grady got injured. In 23, we had statistically the most efficient lineup in the country until Fredrick got hurt (he never really was healthy) and Wallace also got banged up.
He also needs a shot blocker with him and more shooting,

He also needs a shot blocker with him and more shooting,
We definitely need shot blocking and Im not sure where its going to come from. I have seen where Bradshaw is a natural shor blocker from different scouting services. I have also seen posters saying he's not the shot blocker thats being suggested. My faith in Cal to get this right is at an all time low.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
In your opinion do we end up with one of them? Or HD just using us for leverage? Odds Oscar chases the pro dream?
I've been told all along Oscar is not returning. So I'll go with being surprised if he returned.

Don't trust anything Hunter Dickinson/camp says.

Still expect 1/2 guys who would be really good fits to enter the Portal but this team needs some shooting far more than a big IMO.

I've been told all along Oscar is not returning. So I'll go with being surprised if he returned.

Still expect 1/2 guys who would be really good fits to enter the Portal but this team needs some shooting far more than a big IMO.
It’s looking like cal is banking on reeves coming back and no other shooting, which is crazy

Jack Pilgrim seems pretty convinced that he's coming back.

I feel like Dickinson is just playing us. I feel like Oscar is using us as backup plan if all else fails he would come back. And with him doing that and being in limbo all suitable transfers will look elsewhere. Just my guess.

I feel like Dickinson is just playing us. I feel like Oscar is using us as backup plan if all else fails he would come back. And with him doing that and being in limbo all suitable transfers will look elsewhere. Just my guess.
Oscar isn't using Kentucky. He has nowhere to go in terms of the NBA. He's a horrible fit for the NBA but nothing is going to change that. Kentucky offers him the best $/familiarity but he'd have to change his role and is he willing to do that? More importantly and the part I don't trust--will Calipari stick to the fact that if he returned playing more uptempo/open court basketball? I'll puke if I see 4 around 1 with this incoming group-it doesn't fit style wise or personnel wise. You better go get some damn shooters if you bring him back and I'm not talking about Antonio Reeves alone.

I agree, but the thought of Calipari coaching a team without a legit center, seems crazy to me.

I don't know if he knows how to win with just guards and forwards. He made that mistake in the 15/16 season. He has to have a star at the 5, if he doesn't, his teams stink and Ugo is not close.

But you're also right about shooting. That is the most important thing in today’s game, but he refuses to believe it.

So, we could end up with Ugo at the 5 and a bunch of sub par, freshmen, shooters. That’s a disaster waiting to happen.

And you can bet, at least one of our best players, will be worn out, or injured as we enter post season play and there will be 2 open scholarships on the table.

Calipari: "they're young and you fans have expectations"
Meanwhile, we're sitting at 10 losses and another early tournament exit.

He's averaged 1.7 steals and 1.3 blocks on 33 minutes of play. How many cupcakes have we played in that time? He's not a rim protector, and he has no business hanging out on the perimeter. You want to keep doing this?
Yeah I’ll keep doing this with a Unanimous National Player of The Year, 2 time All American and Wooden Award Winner.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Yeah I’ll keep doing this with a Unanimous National Player of The Year, 2 time All American and Wooden Award Winner.
Awards mean nothing. Does your player make the TEAM better? No, he doesn't. It's already been stated here why he doesn't. This is about roster building, not awards, accolades.

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua
Oscar isn't using Kentucky. He has nowhere to go in terms of the NBA. He's a horrible fit for the NBA but nothing is going to change that. Kentucky offers him the best $/familiarity but he'd have to change his role and is he willing to do that? More importantly and the part I don't trust--will Calipari stick to the fact that if he returned playing more uptempo/open court basketball? I'll puke if I see 4 around 1 with this incoming group-it doesn't fit style wise or personnel wise. You better go get some damn shooters if you bring him back and I'm not talking about Antonio Reeves alone.
There’s a lot of weapons on the roster. What there isn’t is a MAN who can crush the glass. I think cal draws from 2015 and plays oscar Bradshaw together like wcs and towns. I don’t want cal forcing anymore stretch 4 wannabes. Play two bigs. Bradshaw can help stretch the floor. If cal is smart he will get back to defense first, owning the paint and having front court depth to take on fouls.

Awards mean nothing. Does your player make the TEAM better? No, he doesn't. It's already been stated here why he doesn't. This is about roster building, not awards, accolades.
Yes! Without Oscar we probably don’t make the tourney this year and last year limp in. When a player is a consensus poy there is usually good reason and I bet if oscar transfered wherever he went his team would be a natty threat and probably would make a run. When they follow that up with another AA year then he’s pretty damned good. To think oscar doesn’t make the team better is shear stupidity. When you have a broken backcourt two years in a row what the hell you want oscar to do huh? You surround a consensus poy with massive talent he hasn’t seen and let’s see what happens. Oscar is exactly what we need in this day of nil and over aged college players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT