ADVERTISEMENT

KSR Rumor About Dickinson

I don't think it's as easy as picking who you'd rather have. If Oscar wants to come back, you can't just tell him no. I'd def be on him to make a decision though.
They aren't "just telling him no". In the posted scenario they are asking him for a decision so they can build a roster, he gets first choice. Can't wait all summer.

What's with the Dickinson infatuation? Dude is a serviceable big man in college but there's a reason he's spent this many years at the college level.

Granted he's a top ranked transfer portal player but I've heard rumblings about locker room issues at UM. Dickinson is undoubtedly a talented center option but what impact would he have regarding the current roster?

Personally, I'm not sold on his fit considering the incoming freshmen. I think he wants to be a focal point wherever he goes. At this point, I'm more inclined to convince Oscar of a lesser/different role than bringing Dickinson in the fold.

I'd tend to stick with the guy who we already have and the guy who gave us his all for 2 years. Could Dickinson be better than Oscar overall.. Maybe, maybe not. But I believe in the loyalty aspect of this, and you stick with the guy who wanted to come to Kentucky first.. not the guy who will come here but only if his criteria are met.

I'll ride with Oscar even if Hunter is better, and let the chips fall where they may.

Last edited:
I'd rather have Oscar back but just not having offense run through him. Good point was brought up on one of the shows I listen too...forget which, but nonetheless, go watch UK vs Duke (Oscar's first game)....that's how I want Oscar to get his points if he comes back.

Offense ran through him hardly ever if at all. He scored off rebounding and cleaning up. Give me that version of UK BB. Let the guards go to work.

What a world. People wanting Dickinson over Oscar.

Even if it was a good point, you think Cal is going to let Dickinson reign threes???

Are most of you in junior high?
I was about to say...perfect world, I'd take Dickinson over Oscar 10/10 times if I'm the coach. If Cal's the coach I'm taking Oscar. The versatility and offensive production of Dickinson is his best skill and Cal wouldn't utilize that at all.

Yeah one tournament win in 2 years. Don't know if Dickinson is the answer but obviously Oscar is not.
So, I’m gonna throw out a wild ass analogy that is just ludicrous enough you might get the point.

If Michael Jordan’s teammates were garbage and disappeared every time there was an elimination scenario do you still not want Mike? Or do you objectively see his talent and realize the other players are the problem?

Dickinson. He shot 42% from 3. He’s not undersized at the position defensively, and he can play outside the paint, and won’t clog the driving lanes on offense.
It's not a bad either/or decision to have.

Offense on the block = even (Oscar can get his shot blocked more easily, but has learned to adjust)
Offense on the perimeter = Dickinson, but not as lopsided as some think because I do think Oscar could add 3pt shot (he good out to 18')
Defense on perimeter = idk, but Dickinson is probably at least as good, maybe better
Interior defense = the bigger Dickinson is the better shot blocker
Help defense = can Dickinson be any worse than Oscar on this, probably not
Rebounding = Oscar; Dickinson is good, Oscar is great

Lastly, locker room:
- reportedly Oscar had some issues last year that maybe he didn't have the year before, whether NIL caused or getting a big head or what, IDK. But he is a good likeable guy, if he isn't in-your-face too much with his beliefs.
- word is Dickinson wasn't very likeable by his teammates nor by opponents, much of it coming from his podcasts

I can see the argument for both. I may be to the point, lets try something/someone different. But I guess I'd be ok either way.

What's with the Dickinson infatuation? Dude is a serviceable big man in college but there's a reason he's spent this many years at the college level.

Granted he's a top ranked transfer portal player but I've heard rumblings about locker room issues at UM. Dickinson is undoubtedly a talented center option but what impact would he have regarding the current roster?

Personally, I'm not sold on his fit considering the incoming freshmen. I think he wants to be a focal point wherever he goes. At this point, I'm more inclined to convince Oscar of a lesser/different role than bringing Dickinson in the fold.

He's a good player for sure but my father in law and all of his fellow Michigan fans are over Dickinson in a similar method many here are "over" the Oscar Era. They also blame him for his poor defense. He also gets knocked for his ability to disappear in a game when things don't go his way whereas Oscar will still fight for rebounds. But, HD can his 3s. It's tough and for sure a "whoever commits first" situation but I'd prefer Oscar and HD go somewhere else than see Oscar play for someone like Kansas or UNC or something.

Reactions: AzubuikeandFitch
You also have to think about how each fits with the roster next year. If I'm starting from scratch, I'm maybe going with Dickinson because he's more proven offensively.

But with all the stars coming in next year, I think Oscar's rebounding tenacity might be the biggest help to guys like DJ and Edwards. Plus, it's pretty clear to me Oscar would be much more open to taking a back seat role in the offense.

I think Oscar might be a better fit for what we have next year.

You also have to think about how each fits with the roster next year. If I'm starting from scratch, I'm maybe going with Dickinson because he's more proven offensively.

But with all the stars coming in next year, I think Oscar's rebounding tenacity might be the biggest help to guys like DJ and Edwards. Plus, it's pretty clear to me Oscar would be much more open to taking a back seat role in the offense.

Oscar gives you the toughness that a freshmen team lacks. Remember the 9-16 team?

I find that hard to believe, I think Dickinson is staying in the DMV area, but if he wants to come you do honestly have to push Oscar for a decision, you have to build a roster
But Cal will not do that. His overarching mission is to get kids in the NBA. It's his middle finger to the game of college basketball and to the NBA. The guy has perverted what it means to be a college basketball coach. Cal has also made it clear that he does not want to be bothered with managing more than 5-7 guys in-game. That's why we're not really seeing much action with the portal or players like Livingston and Oscar. When he made that comment awhile back that he wasn't going to let his bench hold him hostage, he wasn't kidding.

Dickinson. He shot 42% from 3. He’s not undersized at the position defensively, and he can play outside the paint, and won’t clog the driving lanes on offense.
Ha...he will probably be lucky to shoot one 3 per game with Cal as coach. We all know he will be told to stay in the paint.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

This is a great observation, wish Cal was as invested in putting the right pieces together and winning basketball games at UK as some on the board.

He just visited Georgetown was going to or will visit Maryland, and has an OV scheduled for Kansas this upcoming weekend so unless there is more misinformation out there (believable) this is what the title of thread stated; "KSR Rumor".
he had a zoom meeting with Kentucky, who knows what goes on behind closed doors. If Oscar leaves then obviously Dickinson is the best option. If Oscar returns then so be it, honestly if these rumors are true it’s a win win situation

Reactions: Fox2monk
I'd rather have Oscar back but just not having offense run through him. Good point was brought up on one of the shows I listen too...forget which, but nonetheless, go watch UK vs Duke (Oscar's first game)....that's how I want Oscar to get his points if he comes back.

Offense ran through him hardly ever if at all. He scored off rebounding and cleaning up. Give me that version of UK BB. Let the guards go to work.
Agree and more rest if Ugo does come back. How about use the bench if he can't move his feet on the pnr.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT