ADVERTISEMENT

KSR Rumor About Dickinson

I'm old

Oscar is a Wildcat, and if he wants to be here, he is our guy.

If another player wants to put demands on UK, I'm sure thats the world we live in today, but I'm fine with him finding another program where he doesn't encourage them to push out a former NPOY and AA

I just don't think he is the issue. Honestly the same could be said for Dickinson. He has probably been surrounded by more talent than Oscar has the past two seasons.

I agree completely about not being the issue. Have no idea about talent at Michigan. I know our NIT level (at the time of the game) team beat them last season but other than that have no idea about that team’s talent.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
I agree completely about not being the issue. Have no idea about talent at Michigan. I know our NIT level (at the time of the game) team beat them last season but other than that have no idea about that team’s talent.

They've had 5 guys drafted in past two seasons and Bufkin/Howard both projected first round picks this year.

If you don't count Sharpe then Oscar will have only had TyTy and Cason who will have been drafted while he was here.

I just don't think Oscar is a superstar put the team on your back and carry you kind of player. He may be great with super talent around him and that's what I'd hedge my bet on.

Ultimately it is hard for me to look at his 3 NCAAT games and point finger of blame at him. He had 63pts and 59rebs in those games...hard to ask for more than that. JMHO.

Last year's team was doomed by the program promoting it as Oscar University instead of Kentucky. I get they were trying to get fans excited after a rotten end to the season but that was delusional and ignorant. That's NOT on the player, team, etc..it's on Cal and the Athletic Department.
Every other school in the country would have been promoting a returning National Player of the year. Every one. It has happened like 3 or 4 other times in the history of CBB. It’s delusional to think this was the wrong thing to do.

What a world. People wanting Dickinson over Oscar.

Even if it was a good point, you think Cal is going to let Dickinson reign threes???

Are most of you in junior high?
I think a smart coach would rein him in if he tried to rain threes and would make him reign over the paint instead.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Pygmy Sasquatch
He’s more than serviceable. Your point about him being in college for so long really doesn’t make sense. This isn’t the nba. This IS college we are talking about. And he’s a terrific college player. Which that’s all that matters
Agree completely.

NBA and college basketball are 2 entirely different games. There are lots of examples of serviceable NBA players who were at best serviceable college players, while there are lots of examples of very good college players who couldn't even get a taste of the NBA.

Oscar is also a terrific college player. So it's not an obvious choice.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
Duke was and may still be interested in Dickinson. He is telling them the same thing I'm sure and did you not see they just lost a McDonald's AA recruit because a 5 star player returned? Big business in CFB/CBB is what it is--Player's First and program 2nd.
Yea, I saw that but that's one of the few times that's happened to them though, that doesn't usually factor in their decisions to attend or leave their program.

It has to be Oscar.

You get Oscar back by any means necessary IMO.

A former NPOY and consensus All-American, and one of the most beloved wildcats in recent memory.

You have to get him and Reeves both back to go with this group, plus go get one more 3/4 swing man type.

Probably auto-correct. I haven't seen him be wrong going all the way back to Sharpe.

My problem with that guy is that he always comes out with "scoop" AFTER someone else has broken the story.

If he knew this was the case already, why not come out with it?

It always seems like Jack Pilgrim or Kyle Tucker or someone breaks something, and then this guy tweets "Yep that's true"- it never seems to really be his own scoop, just piggy-backing for clicks.

Maybe I am wrong (good chance tbh), but that's my observation of that guy.

Even last week- Pilgrim tweets we won't be involved on Mgbako, then MeManBoy tweets it a couple of hours later, and then comes out with a follow-up trying to spin that he "never saw Jack's tweet".

Idk, I'm just a random message board dude so who cares but it's just my thoughts.

My problem with that guy is that he always comes out with "scoop" AFTER someone else has broken the story.

If he knew this was the case already, why not come out with it?

It always seems like Jack Pilgrim or Kyle Tucker or someone breaks something, and then this guy tweets "Yep that's true"- it never seems to really be his own scoop, just piggy-backing for clicks.

Maybe I am wrong (good chance tbh), but that's my observation of that guy.

Even last week- Pilgrim tweets we won't be involved on Mgbako, then MeManBoy tweets it a couple of hours later, and then comes out with a follow-up trying to spin that he "never saw Jack's tweet".

Idk, I'm just a random message board dude so who cares but it's just my thoughts.

He does do that alot but I wonder if it is because of source.

I will take either one but you can't get neither IMO. We need some beef at center. I like big Ds shooting but love Oscar. Its a tough call. First come first serve IMO.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
Every other school in the country would have been promoting a returning National Player of the year. Every one. It has happened like 3 or 4 other times in the history of CBB. It’s delusional to think this was the wrong thing to do.
Promoting him returning is one thing. Oscar University angle was a bit much. Specifically off the season the team had. This isn't Oscar's fault. The program was over the top and it was all they had to interact with the fans who just want to see winning. It's why the attendance is down too and we know fans are overwhelmingly in Oscar's corner. The only other NPOY I remember returning was Hansbrough and UNC was coming off ACC Titles and Elite 8 in '07, Final Four in '08 set to run through CBB as they did in '09 to win it all. The team's success and potential success factored in as much as the player returning. At no point was it Tyler Hansbrough University. It was a great college player returning to an elite team.

Last year was all about Oscar in the offseason to mask the failures of the program. Be it on the court or the Sharpe situation. Then again, maybe that's just my take from it and completely off as you obviously think. End of day think we agree on the main focus needing to be back about Kentucky and winning.

In 2 years at UK, Oscar has 112 Steals and 87 Blocked shots. And he doesn’t play defense??
He's averaged 1.7 steals and 1.3 blocks on 33 minutes of play. How many cupcakes have we played in that time? He's not a rim protector, and he has no business hanging out on the perimeter. You want to keep doing this?

He's averaged 1.7 steals and 1.3 blocks on 33 minutes of play. How many cupcakes have we played in that time? He's not a rim protector, and he has no business hanging out on the perimeter. You want to keep doing this?
There has to be a happy medium where Oscar doesn't play "Ole" defense in the post to let his man score easily. For most any coach, that's an easy adjustment. But I believe 100% that Cal told him to play that way to minimize foul burden. So the answer is to tell him to play defense with intensity AND have capable backups to come in when he's on the bench 4 minutes into each half.

I’ll never understand blaming Oscar for any of the losses in the last two years. The TyTy team sucked when him and Grady were injured and last years team just mostly sucked in general. Oscar has been the only consistent positive since he came here.. if his PnR defense and inability to block a ton of shots are his weakness it’s up the to coach to make adjustments.
In my opinion, Cal doesn't know how to use Oscar on Offense or defense.

Oscar has been bad at pnr defense since he came to Lexington, but Cal has done nothing to fix it. That's on Cal.

On offense, the go-to play is everyone standing still waiting for Oscar to fend off a double team to get open. Then, the post feeder, who is standing still with the ball held high, force feeds the ball to Oscar. Then, Oscar has to score through a double team.

We turn the ball over half the time and all it does is set Oscar up for failure.

Watching good offense use their bigs, is a whole lot different. Any time your players just stand around on offense, you're just guarding yourself.

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua and NociHTTP
People keep talking about Oscar being a double-double machine, but I don't think they know why that is. It's not all positive, either. Oscar does not play defense, so that automatically means it's 5-on-4 everytime he's in the game. He also doesn't faciliate for the rest of the team, does not participate in running plays. So if you're an intelligent coach and you know that your opponent has decent three point shooters (Frederick, Reeves, Wallace, even Toppin), then you run 5-on-4 against those guys and let Oscar get his meager two's. Oscar got so many rebounds because he surrounded by guys being forced to throw up prayers, and because he was always abandoning the offense and positioning himself for boards. People need to look at the complete picture. This upcoming season he's to change a lot of things or he'll end up handcuffing the team worse than he did last season. I'd like to think Cal is aware of this.
I think we all understand the issues you pointed out, but at some point, doesn't the coach have to straighten the issues out?

Seemed to me like Oscar was doing what he was told. I never saw Cal bench him like he did guys like Reeves, Ugo and Ado.

I think we all understand the issues you pointed out, but at some point, doesn't the coach have to straighten the issues out?

Seemed to me like Oscar was doing what he was told. I never saw Cal bench him like he did guys like Reeves, Ugo and Ado.
I agree, Cal sucks. But that video today of Oscar doing the same thing that he did last season (bringing the ball down to his waist or the floor on every rebound) suggests to me that either he is surrounded by poor instruction, or he DOESN'T do what he's told. Both Cal and Oscar are equally stubborn. The program would be better served for both to move on, but I wish that weren't true.

I agree, Cal sucks. But that video today of Oscar doing the same thing that he did last season (bringing the ball down to his waist or the floor on every rebound) suggests to me that either he is surrounded by poor instruction, or he DOESN'T do what he's told. Both Cal and Oscar are equally stubborn. The program would be better served for both to move on, but I wish that weren't true.
Huggins was furious with him prior to leaving West Virginia too. Sometimes you have to do what you are told even if you play hard. He got out of shape and was enjoying college life a bit too much that 2nd year.

Shook my head watching that video too. That speaks to working hard, but nothing to move the needle for the NBA. Just comes down to go as is and see where you end up. Nothing wrong with making a crapload of $ overseas as a Pro either. Or return to CBB and make some $ (won't be nearly as much as last yr) and take on a role he may/may not want to do? You can't sell guys on how you are going to operate and then change it because a 6'8 Center wants to have the ball down on the block. I've heard this dream scenario of playing him like he did when he first came to Kentucky. That would be great. Never would happen. You can't talk/treat a player like he's the biggest thing in the sport and more important than the program and then walk it back and tell him to "run the floor/get rebounds and play about 10 mpg less". Hell they are seemingly telling him through the media (if we're to believe the report today) we need to know now--and they have stated all along Oscar was committed to the Pro process. So sure seems like they made the decision for him/want him gone and just want him to say that publicly and finalized.

taking Tshiebwe for his rebounding with the new crew.
i think these freshmen going to push him.
he comes back... and goes NBA first round next year after our Championship!

Reactions: Fox2monk
I love Oscar as a player and a person, but I love UK basketball more. HD is a better fit and gives UK a better chance at #9.
No he's not.

Oscar averaged 20 points and 20 rebounds in his three NCAA tournament games. He played next to guys like Ty Ty, Grady, and Reeves, who shot a collective 4-34 in the two tournament game losses. That's the real reason we lost.

We’ve won a grand total of 1 tournament game with Oscar. I’ll take Dickinson.

Such a dumb criteria.

By your argument, you'd take the 13th man on the UCONN bench over Oscar as well because that person has more tournament wins to their name.

I'm sure you also think Robert Horry is better than Michael Jordan since he has more NBA titles (7 vs 6) and NBA Playoff victories (155 vs. 119).

Or perhaps in a team sport, it should come down to more than just who has won the most post season games?

I'll take the dude who is a former National Player of the Year and 2 time All-American, and loves Kentucky.

Such a dumb criteria.

By your argument, you'd take the 13th man on the UCONN bench over Oscar as well because that person has more tournament wins to their name.

I'm sure you also think Robert Horry is better than Michael Jordan since he has more NBA titles (7 vs 6) and NBA Playoff victories (155 vs. 119).

Or perhaps in a team sport, it should come down to more than just who has won the most post season games?

I'll take the dude who is a former National Player of the Year and 2 time All-American, and loves Kentucky.
They ignore the fact that Grady/ Ty Ty/ and Reeves have shot a combined 4/34 from the field in the two tournament losses for 12% shooting.

It has less to do with Oscar sucking and more to do with his teammates melting down on the biggest stage.

They ignore the fact that Grady/ Ty Ty/ and Reeves have shot a combined 4/34 from the field in the two tournament losses for 12% shooting.

It has less to do with Oscar sucking and more to do with his teammates melting down on the biggest stage.

10,000%.

It astounds me some of the opinions on this board, it truly does.

Our lack of elite guard play is why we haven't excelled in the tournament of late, absolutely NOTHING to do with Oscar.

But that changes next year (assuming Reeves comes back).

Wagner
Dillingham
Reeves
Edwards

That group will be as elite a perimeter group as we have had here in a long, long time.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
So, I’m gonna throw out a wild ass analogy that is just ludicrous enough you might get the point.

If Michael Jordan’s teammates were garbage and disappeared every time there was an elimination scenario do you still not want Mike? Or do you objectively see his talent and realize the other players are the problem?
Part of the reason we have no offense is because of oscar.

The question for Oscar is does he want to play overseas now or another season at UK.The NBA has zero interest so he needs to go ahead and decide now.

You guys are hilarious.

I don't care who a guy is. Could be Mashburn. Could be Wall. Could be Davis or Delk or Walker or Mercer. Put those dudes next to 2nd and 3rd options who go a combined 4/34 in two tournament games and none of them are advancing.

Get a grip on reality, fellas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT