ADVERTISEMENT

Ideal roster for next year includes Sheppard, Freeman, and Big Z.

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
Freeman gives you immediate versatility at the 1 through 3. He's 6'6" and his ability to lead the break in transition off rebounding would perfectly compliment Sheppard.

The only question is this: does Cal have the nuts to bring Freeman in if Sheppard returns? Both of those guys would be getting 30+ minute a game next year. If Wagner returns, in addition to Fland, where does Knox play?

This is precisely why I wasn't excited about Knox coming in. I knew that if he did, it would clog up Cal's pursuit of other elite portal guards/wings (like Freeman).

A coach who wants to win wouldn't care about Knox's feelings of entitlement.

This is the lineup that would get to a Final Four next year:

G Sheppard -
G Fland -
G Freeman
F - Thiero
C - Big Z

My fear, however, is that this is what it might look like after Cal convinces key pieces (like Z and Sheppard) to stay in the draft:

G Wagner
G Fland
G Knox
F - Quiantance
C - random, last-second Portal big

I hope I'm wrong.

I’ve posted this in other threads bit I really think if Wagner and Reed come back, we’re looking at another year of Reed off the bench. What are the odds Cal wouldn’t start Wagner given his history with that family? And what are the odds Cal doesn’t start Fland, his prized PG recruit? And what are the odds Cal starts three guards? I think it would be Wagner and Fland starting with Reed coming off the bench, again.

I was never in favor of Cal bringing in Karter Knox. His father is a head case saying months prior to his son committing that Cal would have to assure him ample playing time. Karter Knox’s shooting slots are terrible.
Knox would be a great 5th or 6th option, but I'm afraid that next year he will be a 3rd or 4th option.

We're going to be really bad next year. Worse than this season; and it's because we have a head coach who is not willing to forsake his promises to freshmen who do not deserve certain roles (looking at you Wagner and Edwards).

I think this will be the roster:

G Fland/Perry
G Transfer Guard/Hart
F Knox/Richmond
F Quaintance/Burks
F Transfer Big/Cyril

Probably looking at an NIT season.

IF (it’s a big IF) Cal can get the very best SG and C in the portal, we might make the Dance.

And I am hoping some real difference makers enter the portal before Cal adds someone. There’s not a real difference maker in the portal yet, IMHO.

I’ve posted this in other threads bit I really think if Wagner and Reed come back, we’re looking at another year of Reed off the bench. What are the odds Cal wouldn’t start Wagner given his history with that family? And what are the odds Cal doesn’t start Fland, his prized PG recruit? And what are the odds Cal starts three guards? I think it would be Wagner and Fland starting with Reed coming off the bench, again.
It's insane that we're having reasonably logical discussions about how guys like Wagner and Knox would play over Sheppard (he would be a preseason Player of the Year candidate) and Freeman.

That's the state of the Kentucky circus right now.

G Fland/Perry
G Transfer Guard/Hart
F Knox/Richmond
F Quaintance/Burks
F Transfer Big/Cyril

IF (it’s a big IF) Cal can get the very best SG and C in the portal, we might make the Dance.

And I am hoping some real difference makers enter the portal before Cal adds someone. There’s not a real difference maker in the portal yet, IMHO.
Freeman is already better than Knox, Wagner, and Edwards.

Knox is another we shouldn’t have on the roster. Same crap with Calipari. The rest of the schools are gonna load up on portal players and return guys. We’re gonna bring in Knox, a fringe tweener who can’t score that well and is as average as can be. He’ll be Mr. Mediocre all year then bolt for the 2nd round overseas or transfer.

Calipari is ruining this program intentionally. No lineups are going to change anything

By the way, @bucsrule8872 , I agree with you. I think the roster will end up looking like what you posted, and that makes me really depressed.

We don't have a coach who cares about winning as much as he should. That roster will win 20 games and be begging for an NCAA birth on selection Sunday. That frontcourt alone is going to get brutalized in the SEC.

G Fland/Perry
G Transfer Guard/Hart
F Knox/Richmond
F Quaintance/Burks
F Transfer Big/Cyril

That's overly optimistic, it will be worse than Louisville the last 2 years

• Haha
Reactions: FitchandMurray29
Knox is another we shouldn’t have on the roster. Same crap with Calipari. The rest of the schools are gonna load up on portal players and return guys. We’re gonna bring in Knox, a fringe tweener who can’t score that well and is as average as can be. He’ll be Mr. Mediocre all year then bolt for the 2nd round overseas or transfer.

Calipari is ruining this program intentionally. No lineups are going to change anything
I actually think Knox will perform a lot like a rich man's Kahlil Whitney. 6 to 8 points per game and playing minutes he doesn't deserve. He'll then transfer after his one year in Lexington.

If Sheppard comes back and doesn’t start, then Cal is the biggest idiot on the planet and will look even more like a buffoon than he already does.

Sheppard and Wagner start together if they both come back. That might not be the best combo, but that would be our backcourt.

G Sheppard/Fland
G Wagner/Perry
F Knox/Richmond
F Quaintance/Burks
F Ivisic/Cyril

And I bet it will be clear that the team is better with Fland starting over Knox and going 3 guards, but Cal will start Knox all season because he absolutely can’t stand playing the right combinations together. LOL!

I was never in favor of Cal bringing in Karter Knox. His father is a head case saying months prior to his son committing that Cal would have to assure him ample playing time. Karter Knox’s shooting slots are terrible.
When and where did his dad say this?

Reactions: 1war
Most of the incoming class are bad shooters. Next year will be nothing like this year’s team, although Cal says he wants to run the same offense. I think he’ll revert by December.

Fland is an okay shooter but takes so many he shot 30% from 3 last year. If his shot selection cleans up hopefully he’s high-30s in college. Billy Richmond shoots mid-20s%. Knox is low 30s %. Perry should be a high percentage shooter (high 30s% on 7+ attempts per game in hs career) but it’s an open question whether he’ll see the floor, and how his game will translate in college. JQ should be a good shooter for a big but obviously Cal has never been eager to let his big guys take many.

By the way, @bucsrule8872 , I agree with you. I think the roster will end up looking like what you posted, and that makes me really depressed.

We don't have a coach who cares about winning as much as he should. That roster will win 20 games and be begging for an NCAA birth on selection Sunday. That frontcourt alone is going to get brutalized in the SEC.
Exactly.

Even if the two transfers are slam dunks, we are going to struggle.

I believe @ralphdaltonfan is high on Fland, and on the potential of a Reed/Fland backcourt.

Hard to believe DJ would come back to come off the bench though.

Hard to believe Cal is going to get any of this properly sorted, if I’m being honest. Just hoping Reed decides to run it back. Or that Cal miraculously gets a middle of the night offer and jets.

If Sheppard comes back and doesn’t start, then Cal is the biggest idiot on the planet and will look even more like a buffoon than he already does.

Sheppard and Wagner start together if they both come back. That might not be the best combo, but that would be our backcourt.

G Sheppard/Fland
G Wagner/Perry
F Knox/Richmond
F Quaintance/Burks
F Ivisic/Cyril

And I bet it will be clear that the team is better with Fland starting over Knox and going 3 guards, but Cal will start Knox all season because he absolutely can’t stand playing the right combinations together. LOL!
It makes me sad that we have the highest paid coach in America, and every UK fan out there (who is the least bit logical) knows we have a coach who doesn't care to win as much as he should.

Reactions: JASUN74
Agreed, we need to pull that thread on Knox from just a few weeks ago. No reason to take him after Richmond.

We will know Cal’s mindset in the next 3 weeks.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I have no idea what the roster will look like as nothing has happened but a very weird portal/pro/return announcement by Adou. With only the information we have at this moment of portal interest I would say this is the best realistic group.

PG-Wagner/Perry
CG- Fland/Richmond
SF-Freeman/Knox
PF- JQ/Adou/Burks
C- Omoruyi/Z/Cyril

There are still a lot of portal entries to come and plenty of twists I’m sure coming with our current guys.

Agreed, we need to pull that thread on Knox from just a few weeks ago. No reason to take him after Richmond.

We will know Cal’s mindset in the next 3 weeks.
I'm with you.

Richmond is going to get screwed in the rotation next year, and he's exactly the type of 7th option we could have used (ala DeAndre Liggins) with his toughness and junk yard dog mentality.

My dream scenario (which would not have included Knox):

G - Sheppard - Fland - Perry
G - Fland - Freeman - Perry
G - Freeman - Richmond - Thiero
F - Thiero - Quaintance - Burks
C - Big Z - Quaintance - Cyril

Reactions: ib4ky and catfan220
Freeman gives you immediate versatility at the 1 through 3. He's 6'6" and his ability to lead the break in transition off rebounding would perfectly compliment Sheppard.

The only question is this: does Cal have the nuts to bring Freeman in if Sheppard returns? Both of those guys would be getting 30+ minute a game next year. If Wagner returns, in addition to Fland, where does Knox play?

This is precisely why I wasn't excited about Knox coming in. I knew that if he did, it would clog up Cal's pursuit of other elite portal guards/wings (like Freeman).

A coach who wants to win wouldn't care about Knox's feelings of entitlement.

This is the lineup that would get to a Final Four next year:

G Sheppard -
G Fland -
G Freeman
F - Thiero
C - Big Z

My fear, however, is that this is what it might look like after Cal convinces key pieces (like Z and Sheppard) to stay in the draft:

G Wagner
G Fland
G Knox
F - Quiantance
C - random, last-second Portal big

I hope I'm wrong.
Do you think there's no chance for Cliff Omaryui? I've been out of loop couple days he may have already cut Ky out

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I'm with you.

Richmond is going to get screwed in the rotation next year, and he's exactly the type of 7th option we could have used (ala DeAndre Liggins) with his toughness and junk yard dog mentality.

My dream scenario (which would not have included Knox):

G - Sheppard - Fland - Perry
G - Fland - Freeman - Perry
G - Freeman - Richmond - Thiero
F - Thiero - Quaintance - Burks
C - Big Z - Quaintance - Cyril
My hope was very similar with another portal combo guard. Fland is a nice player but not tough enough to start for a contender. Ideal 2nd year leader.

Do you think there's no chance for Cliff Omaryui? I've been out of loop couple days he may have already cut Ky out
Realistically?

Not really.

He'll want to know what the status of Z, Onyenso, and Bradshaw are going to be. In addition, he knows Quaintance and Cyril are UK bound. That's a lot of mouths to feed, and Cal's reputation in the portal is that he prefers his favorites (Wagner, Bradshaw, Edwards) over the guys who deserve it (Thiero, Sheppard, Dillingham).

Reactions: JC CATS
Yall are way too down on Knox. He's not a bad shooter by any means. He averaged 34% on 8.3 attempts per game this year while averaging 23.1 PPG.

BTW, that's better than Dillingham on all three accounts.

Secondly, we had zero issues with Kevin when he was here and with their dad as well so I'm not sure where that is coming from.

With that said, I'd prefer an older transfer or a returning Edwards instead, but Knox won't be some black hole.

Freeman is already better than Knox, Wagner, and Edwards.
I like Freeman because of his size and rebounding, but he is not a difference maker, IMHO. He’s a role player.

We need a Dalton Knecht 2.0 to be competitive. And I don’t know if that will be enough to get us in the Dance.

If everyone leaves, we better grab the best guy at every position in the portal to even have a shot at getting past the first weekend.

We don’t need three Freshmen starting. The Freshmen need to come off the bench.

None of the Freshmen we have coming in are going to be AD or Wall or Fox.

Quaintance is probably the only one that should even be considered a potential starter talent-wise and he is barely 17.

I hope Cal is desperate and will actually do what it takes to construct a competitive roster instead of just doing what he always does.

Cal's reputation in the portal is that he prefers his favorites (Wagner, Bradshaw, Edwards) over the guys who deserve it (Thiero, Sheppard, Dillingham).

That's nonsense. Our two portal guys averaged the most minutes on the team - Reeves and Mitchell.
Reeves - 31.4
Mitchell - 30.3

And transfers have gotten the most minutes the last four years - Grady, Tshiebwe, Toppin, Wheeler, Reeves, even Mintz in 20/21.

Then, your point about favorites (why is Bradshaw in there?):

Sheppard was 3rd and Dillingham was 5th in minutes played
Sheppard - 28.9
Dillingham - 23.3

Thiero averaged the same minutes as Edwards and more during conference play
Thiero - 21.4

Also Theiro started 19 of 25 games this year.

This time last year Bradshaw was said to be the PF this year and they had Keshod Johnson on campus and he got the same message. That can’t happen again. I don’t sure a starter for a contender in this incoming class. Nice or good players won’t cut it.

This time last year Bradshaw was said to be the PF this year and they had Keshod Johnson on campus and he got the same message. That can’t happen again. I don’t sure a starter for a contender in this incoming class. Nice or good players won’t cut it.

I'm on board with that.

That's nonsense. Our two portal guys averaged the most minutes on the team - Reeves and Mitchell.
Reeves - 31.4
Mitchell - 30.3

And transfers have gotten the most minutes the last four years - Grady, Tshiebwe, Toppin, Wheeler, Reeves, even Mintz in 20/21.

Sheppard - 28.9
Dillingham - 23.3

Thiero - 21.4

Starting roles matter. If you don't think they do, you don't understand how players think. And Thiero should have been playing at least 25 minutes/game. Edwards should have been closer to 18. Using that example doesn't help your case at all.

Reactions: ukfan041
Yall are way too down on Knox. He's not a bad shooter by any means. He averaged 34% on 8.3 attempts per game this year while averaging 23.1 PPG.

BTW, that's better than Dillingham on all three accounts.

Secondly, we had zero issues with Kevin when he was here and with their dad as well so I'm not sure where that is coming from.

With that said, I'd prefer an older transfer or a returning Edwards instead, but Knox won't be some black hole.
I bet you were pretty high on Whitney, Boston, and Livingston, too, eh?

Starting roles matter. If you don't think they do, you don't understand how players think. And Thiero should have been playing at least 25 minutes/game. Edwards should have been closer to 18. Using that example doesn't help your case at all.

Maybe so, and I was probably being overly antagonistic regarding the favorites.

But what about the point about transfers? All of our transfers have gotten way more minutes, which I would think would be appealing to anyone in the portal. I do think we've missed out on portal players though due to having a bunch of 5-stars coming in. Guys like Kel'el Ware and Keshad Johnson come to mind.

Sheppard / Fland
Wagner / Perry
Knox / Richmond
Quaintance / Somto
Omoruyi (would love to have this guy instead of Bradshaw or Onyenso) / Quaintance

Land a solid wing and guard from the portal. Zeke Mayo, Kobe Johnson, and BJ Freeman would be at the top of my list to call. Along with Omoruyi of course. We will not get all 4, but 2 or 3 as long as Omoruyi is one of them and I am happy. Omoruyi and Freeman would really be nice.
Hart / Burks, I feel are at least a year away from providing any major contribution / minutes. Especially Hart, Burks COULD surprise me. But would rather have a more proven portal guy, already matured.

Last edited:

G Fland/Perry
G Transfer Guard/Hart
F Knox/Richmond
F Quaintance/Burks
F Transfer Big/Cyril

And in the end cal will be doing this and his players will feel it and 1 and out sets in 16 years of choking and poor coaching man alot to look forward too

Choking Doc Brown GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Reactions: ukfan041
Sheppard / Fland
Wagner / Perry
Knox / Richmond
Quaintance / Somto
Omoruyi (would love to have this guy instead of Bradshaw or Onyenso) / Quaintance

Land a solid wing and guard from the portal. Zeke Mayo, Kobe Johnson, and BJ Freeman would be at the top of my list to call. Along with Omoruyi of course. We will not get all 4, but 2 or 3 as long as Omoruyi is one of them and I am happy. Omoruyi and Freeman would really be nice.
Can you imagine the lack of spacing with that starting five?

Reeves - 31.4
Mitchell - 30.3

Sheppard - 28.9
Dillingham - 23.3

Thiero - 21.4

That’s a little misleading on a couple counts. Mitchell’s minutes are inflated from the beginning of the year when he was our only big and he played like 38 minutes a night. His minutes dropped off quite a bit once the seven footers joined the lineup, even before Mitchell’s injury.

I think Reeves was sixth on the team in minutes his first year.

Grady played a lot, but in his words, he was asked to stand in the corner and shoot. He only really served as a ballhandler when injuries forced Cal to play him in that role.

Toppin hardly played his first year (not that he should’ve played much more).

Somehow, of all the transfers, Wheeler seem to become one of Calle’s favorites the fastest. Bewildering.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT