ADVERTISEMENT

Ideal roster for next year includes Sheppard, Freeman, and Big Z.

That’s a little misleading on a couple counts. Mitchell’s minutes are inflated from the beginning of the year when he was our only big and he played like 38 minutes a night. His minutes dropped off quite a bit once the seven footers joined the lineup, even before Mitchell’s injury.

I think Reeves was sixth on the team in minutes his first year.

Grady played a lot, but in his words, he was asked to stand in the corner and shoot. He only really served as a ballhandler when injuries forced Cal to play him in that role.

Toppin hardly played his first year (not that he should’ve played much more).

Not saying you are wrong, but if Cal wanted to sell portal transfers on coming here, our former transfers' MPG makes his case.

Sheppard / Fland
Wagner / Perry
Knox / Richmond
Quaintance / Somto
Omoruyi (would love to have this guy instead of Bradshaw or Onyenso) / Quaintance

Land a solid wing and guard from the portal. Zeke Mayo, Kobe Johnson, and BJ Freeman would be at the top of my list to call. Along with Omoruyi of course. We will not get all 4, but 2 or 3 as long as Omoruyi is one of them and I am happy. Omoruyi and Freeman would really be nice.
Hart / Burks, I feel are at least a year away from providing any major contribution / minutes. Especially Hart, Burks COULD surprise me. But would rather have a more proven portal guy, already matured.
If we get a good wing from the portal, and I hope we do, then one of Knox or Richmond will see very few minutes. And I’m not sure Cal will do that, which is why I’m not optimistic we go after a transfer wing. But the fact remains, no one who is making deep runs in the tournament is starting or playing as many freshman as we are primed to do next season (again).

Freeman gives you immediate versatility at the 1 through 3. He's 6'6" and his ability to lead the break in transition off rebounding would perfectly compliment Sheppard.

The only question is this: does Cal have the nuts to bring Freeman in if Sheppard returns? Both of those guys would be getting 30+ minute a game next year. If Wagner returns, in addition to Fland, where does Knox play?

This is precisely why I wasn't excited about Knox coming in. I knew that if he did, it would clog up Cal's pursuit of other elite portal guards/wings (like Freeman).

A coach who wants to win wouldn't care about Knox's feelings of entitlement.

This is the lineup that would get to a Final Four next year:

G Sheppard -
G Fland -
G Freeman
F - Thiero
C - Big Z

My fear, however, is that this is what it might look like after Cal convinces key pieces (like Z and Sheppard) to stay in the draft:

G Wagner
G Fland
G Knox
F - Quiantance
C - random, last-second Portal big

I hope I'm wrong.
That last line-up is what Cal desires and deserves.

If we get a good wing from the portal, and I hope we do, then one of Knox or Richmond will see very few minutes. And I’m not sure Cal will do that, which is why I’m not optimistic we go after a transfer wing. But the fact remains, no one who is making deep runs in the tournament is starting or playing as many freshman as we are primed to do next season (again).

I think we could see some de-commitments, like MgBako with Duke last year.

I believe @ralphdaltonfan is high on Fland, and on the potential of a Reed/Fland backcourt.

Hard to believe DJ would come back to come off the bench though.

Hard to believe Cal is going to get any of this properly sorted, if I’m being honest. Just hoping Reed decides to run it back. Or that Cal miraculously gets a middle of the night offer and jets.
I think Fland/Reed would be a fantastic backcourt. Absolutely.

DJ isn't coming off the bench and he will have the ball in his hands IF he returns.

Cal managing depth/roster is always cringe worthy. "He's better than I thought" comes up and the new one he says that is nauseating "I tell Aaron-you tell me to leave you in" WTF is this? Guys telling the HC who to play? Your #1 job during a game is to read who is/isn't playing well and make adjustments, Not have the players tell you they are good when they are/aren't playing well.

So how did it work if Rob/Reed/Antonio said "We're good-let us go"?

Freeman gives you immediate versatility at the 1 through 3. He's 6'6" and his ability to lead the break in transition off rebounding would perfectly compliment Sheppard.

The only question is this: does Cal have the nuts to bring Freeman in if Sheppard returns? Both of those guys would be getting 30+ minute a game next year. If Wagner returns, in addition to Fland, where does Knox play?

This is precisely why I wasn't excited about Knox coming in. I knew that if he did, it would clog up Cal's pursuit of other elite portal guards/wings (like Freeman).

G Sheppard -
G Fland -
G Freeman
F - Thiero
C - Big Z

My fear, however, is that this is what it might look like after Cal convinces key pieces (like Z and Sheppard) to stay in the draft:

G Wagner
G Fland
G Knox
F - Quiantance

I hope I'm wrong.
He’s not starting three freshmen next year. He can’t do it and he knows he can’t do it. I think.

If DJ comes back prepare for him to play 38 minutes a game. He isn’t coming back for anything less than that and to be the focal point. Cal tried to make that happen this year.

Shep isnt coming back in my opinion. If he is truly top 10 pick or even lotto he is gone. Would anyone on this board let there son come back in the face of that? Plus having to deal with Cal and his bs, drama, fan unrest towards the coach etc. Granted Im sure Shep has a say but I can’t imagine he is getting “advised to return”.

The roster will be gutted. Everyone just needs to prepare for a rebuild with a poorly constructed roster and no game plan. Cal is toast. He may be here 5 more years bc of the contract but the dude is cooked.

G Sheppard -
G Fland -
G Freeman
F - Thiero
C - Big Z

G Wagner
G Fland
G Knox
F - Quiantance

I hope I'm wrong.
Please don’t start with the final four bound garbage

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Maybe so, and I was probably being overly antagonistic regarding the favorites.

But what about the point about transfers? All of our transfers have gotten way more minutes, which I would think would be appealing to anyone in the portal. I do think we've missed out on portal players though due to having a bunch of 5-stars coming in. Guys like Kel'el Ware and Keshad Johnson come to mind.
I worry about that too. And if that is in fact the case then it has to stop, one way or the other. If that means stop recruiting OAD altogether (which I actually think could have a positive effect on UK’s ability to win games - particularly with Calipari’s history of sticking with freshman based on what they might become), then that’s what needs to be done. The top upperclassmen are the better CBB players, and better players beat better talent. So, how much value is there really in an OAD freshman? If an Edwards causes you to be unable to get a Knecht did getting that 5-star help UK win or did it perhaps simply further your own narrative? UK is a program to chase titles, not be a minor league training facility.

But I don’t think it’s necessary to stop recruiting a few 5-star recruits. Because I think UK should be able to convince top portal players that UK is recruiting them because they are (or are expected to be) among the best players in CBB and they will obviously be given the opportunity to start and get plenty of playing time regardless of any freshman coming in. In general, the top upperclassmen in the portal know they’re better than 5-star freshmen coming in - just as all the CBB coaches and pundits know it - so it’s not a fear of competition issue; it would instead have to be fear that Calipari would not be fair and give the lesser player (the 5-star freshman) undeserved playing time over them. A good salesman like Calipari should be able to disabuse this fear if it were, in fact, not true.

I’ve posted this in other threads bit I really think if Wagner and Reed come back, we’re looking at another year of Reed off the bench. What are the odds Cal wouldn’t start Wagner given his history with that family? And what are the odds Cal doesn’t start Fland, his prized PG recruit? And what are the odds Cal starts three guards? I think it would be Wagner and Fland starting with Reed coming off the bench, again.
That would be so damn crazy but probably the case. It was already wild this year. It is hard to get excited about any Cal led team anymore. To be honest its best if we only have 6 maybe 7 guys that can play because then it wouldn't allow for his stupid lineup shuffling and giving minutes to people who don't deserve it.

That would be so damn crazy but probably the case. It was already wild this year. It is hard to get excited about any Cal led team anymore. To be honest its best if we only have 6 maybe 7 guys that can play because then it wouldn't allow for his stupid lineup shuffling and giving minutes to people who don't deserve it.
Cal coaches his best when the bench goes 7-8 deep but therein lies the problem. We currently have 6 freshmen coming in combined with 4-5 returnees/portal players. Now he's left trying to balance minutes in accordance with promises.

Reactions: catfan220

G Sheppard -
G Fland -
G Freeman
F - Thiero
C - Big Z

G Wagner
G Fland
G Knox
F - Quiantance

I hope I'm wrong.
We won’t return both Sheppard and Wagner. Wagner knows the PG will be Reed if he returns.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
We won’t return both Sheppard and Wagner. Wagner knows the PG will be Reed if he returns.

I think Sheppard would be 1st, Fland would be next, and then Wagner as far as PGs go. Fland is more of a PG than Wagner, although Wagner isn't a terrible PG, and should be better in his sophomore season.

Knox would be a great 5th or 6th option, but I'm afraid that next year he will be a 3rd or 4th option.

We're going to be really bad next year. Worse than this season; and it's because we have a head coach who is not willing to forsake his promises to freshmen who do not deserve certain roles (looking at you Wagner and Edwards).
there's a growing call for a more balanced recruitment strategy, one that includes the addition of experienced transfers. Such a pivot could enhance the team's defensive capabilities and execution while providing the necessary support to ease the transition for younger players. This nuanced approach doesn't hit home with Cal.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Calipari plays players at their desired pro position, not their natural college position. Kills us.

I like Freeman because of his size and rebounding, but he is not a difference maker, IMHO. He’s a role player.

We need a Dalton Knecht 2.0 to be competitive. And I don’t know if that will be enough to get us in the Dance.

If everyone leaves, we better grab the best guy at every position in the portal to even have a shot at getting past the first weekend.

We don’t need three Freshmen starting. The Freshmen need to come off the bench.

None of the Freshmen we have coming in are going to be AD or Wall or Fox.

Quaintance is probably the only one that should even be considered a potential starter talent-wise and he is barely 17.

I hope Cal is desperate and will actually do what it takes to construct a competitive roster instead of just doing what he always does.
Cal not desperate, Cal be sucking

That’s an underrated part of the 2012 team’s success. There was a clear top 6 + 2 in the rotation.

Teague
Lamb
MKG
T. Jones
Davis
6th man Darius Miller
+
Wiltjer to spell MKG and Jones
Vargas to give AD a few minutes of rest each half.

Really no ambiguity with that roster. We were fortunate to avoid injuries, but it seems like those early Cal teams never had injury issues compared with latter half of his time here.

Unfortunately, hard to get excited about next year knowing who sets over on the bench. We are sorely lacking at game preparation, common sense, and all the things that make you a top program.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Knox would be a great 5th or 6th option, but I'm afraid that next year he will be a 3rd or 4th option.

We're going to be really bad next year. Worse than this season; and it's because we have a head coach who is not willing to forsake his promises to freshmen who do not deserve certain roles (looking at you Wagner and Edwards).
The bottom line is we will have another Inexperienced team of freshman who will get dominated by upperclassman when it matters. Look at this UConn game. It’s like they are toying with one of the best teams in the nation right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT