ADVERTISEMENT

Great win, but...

Lose at Miss St and we're right back in the same spot. Same with Auburn last week. It was an impressive win, just like today's dominant win over Alabama. Once again, I was expecting a loss.

But if you lose to Miss St, this win is lost in the balance.

Great post.

We have to win out to UT. I don't expect a win there.

12 and 6 probably means the 5 seed but whatever. Beat the 12 and maybe we play sc again and beat them and then who knows on Saturday.

Lose at Miss St and we're right back in the same spot. Same with Auburn last week. It was an impressive win, just like today's dominant win over Alabama. Once again, I was expecting a loss.

Yep, Tuesdays game against Miss State is crucial if we hope to get a bye in the SEC tourney.
Which UK team shows up is the biggest question.

It was a great, even though you can be thrilled, can't expect the games like Edwards had tonight. Can he be a big cog going forward...mist certainly. If he does and Z can get 20+ minutes of quality time , we could be hard to handle. Time will tell.

If a frog had wings …..
doesn't make sense, since Couch still bumps his ass when he hops...

77Pyk4z.gif

Last edited:
They are no pushover.

Beat Auburn and Tennessee at home.
They are going to want revenge for losing the first meeting. It will probably be some kind white or black out game for the fans...we just have execute and play smart. Limit turnovers and try to play honest defense and hit the boards. Gonna be a tough game to win but we have got to find a way..somehow.

Reactions: CatPhight
This is true. We won an amazing game at Auburn and it felt like we gave it back on the heart breaking loss at LSU.

Miss State is going to be really hard to beat on the road. We lose this game we all will be back to spewing all the sickness and hate about the season and forgot all the magic that happened today.

I can't tell you from game to game which Kentucky team will show up.

Msu will run with UK though? I remember the first game we won 90 to 77 and didn't even shoot well from 3.

Can't remember much beyond that.

Rinse and repeat cycle, I agree some fans overreact to these type of wins and then are let down again when we lose to teams like Mississippi St. I’ll never get my hopes up with this team because you never know what version you are getting

Watching Miss St and LSU now.
No way we’re scoring 100 plus on MSU. I’d be thrilled to hit 75.
And we should’ve never ever lost to LSU 😠
Whole list of games below we shouldn’t have lost too this year. To be honest with the team we have seen against Auburn and Alabama they should be undefeated to this point!!!

LSU, UNC Wilmington, Florida(Home), South Carolina , Gonzaga( Home), Tennessee( Home), Texas A&M, and Kansas( after holding a good size lead during the game).

Whole list of games below we shouldn’t have lost too this year. To be honest with the team we have seen against Auburn and Alabama they should be undefeated to this point!!!

LSU, UNC Wilmington, Florida(Home), South Carolina , Gonzaga( Home), Tennessee( Home), Texas A&M, and Kansas( after holding a good size lead during the game).
The home loses hurt the most. None should have happened.
Our defense sucked against SC but they played a physical game that we wanted no part of on that night.
Texas AM, we played ok but again defensive lapses costed us and it shouldn't have went to overtime.
LSU is the most disappointing loss of the season.
Kansas, I didn't have us winning but I thought we played ok BUT again, our defense failed at crucial times.

Kentucky in recent years, this year no exception has been unpredictable. Was not shocked to see them beat Alabama or Auburn coming off disappointing losses. I can easily see this team losing at Mississippi State and beating Tennessee in Knoxville. They have won 3 of the last 5 road games to Tennessee. Hopefully they build off this Alabama win, get Mitchell healthy and Edwards continues to progress to show the consistency they need to make a run in March.

Reactions: RunninRichie
The easiest money in the world is betting the team that upsets UK to lose the next game.
Yeah, this is probably very accurate. I was watching that LSU-Miss St game and noticed 2 specific things...

1. Miss St plays solid defense, better than UK without a doubt.

2. The LSU home crowd was dead (no help) and Jordan Wright doesn't come close to playing as hard against anyone else like he plays against UK.

I was actually glad Miss St played well in that game and dominated. The psychology of the game wouldn't have been in UK's favor had MSU lost that game. As it is, Miss St might be favored. It's another unlikely win for UK and they seem to play better when everyone expects them to lose.

Mississippi State is a perfect litmus test to see where we are with March approaching quickly. They have 1 legit stud, a good scoring guard, are tough, and well coached. They also have plenty of flaws, namely shooting that makes them very beatable. One of the big takeaways today for me was how much did Bama not having any muscle or legit post player help us? MSU might help answer that.

Currently KenPom 26

Would be back to back Q1 games and a chance to build real momentum before postseason play regardless of what happens in Knoxville.

I’ve been really interested in Cal vs SEC opponents lately. He owns MSU. He’s lost to them 1 time and that was by 1 point. Looks historically like it’s relatively close down there. Hopefully like the Bama domination continuing today, we can continue the MSU domination Tuesday.

I have absolutely no idea what to expect with this team, Their best wins are as impressive as any I've watched, then there's the head scratchers. but if I'm an opposing team, I definitely don't want to see UK in my bracket in March regardless of seeding. 1st round out or title contender has never applied more to any team I can remember.

Yep, at some point you must validate your best wins with some against teams that might not excite you too much. Every game is now a must win scenario...no room for another loss. Let's be like the 1998 team and not lose again, shall we?

Reactions: IL Wildcat
So LSU is the third team to lose their next game after beating Kentucky. This just shows you these teams can’t bring it against every team because they are not Kentucky. It happens more times than not.

Last edited:

can we enjoy this win first?

I don't like all the results so far obviously, but I like the near future with a healthy Mitchell, Thiero, DJ and a rejuvenated Big Z and Edwards in tournament play where they usually let us play.
My only concern is does the defense regress when Mitchell comes back and Thiero looses the bulk of the minutes at the 4. And now that we saw Edwards play a lot at the 4 splitting time w Thiero and how much more comfortable he looks attacking against an opposing 4 instead of a 3 that can match his athleticism….i really hope we don’t start going way more 2 guard lineups as a result of Mitchell being back

Yep, at some point you must validate your best wins with some against teams that might not excite you too much. Every game is now a must win scenario...no room for another loss. Let's be like the 1998 team and not lose again, shall we?
Completely agree. I was irritated at one point tonight watching, not because I was disappointed in our intensity and play in this game, but because I want to see this same intensity every time out. This team plays best when they think everyone expects them to lose, including the fanbase. The problem for these guys has come when they're expected to win.

Well, all I can say is this: Cal needs to figure out how to get these thinking every opponent is dominant and is expected to beat us. If they think they must play their best to win, they find a way. If they think they can "get by" it's usually not a good effort, and often a loss.

Miss St has won 5 in a row now. They're gonna be tough at home. Maybe that will be enough to get our guys' attention. I sure hope so because it's a must win in my opinion.

Reactions: true blue1
I don't like all the results so far obviously, but I like the near future with a healthy Mitchell, Thiero, DJ and a rejuvenated Big Z and Edwards in tournament play where they usually let us play.
This is a an on point post…tourney officials come from the general NCAA pool as opposed to SEC officials. Watch enough countrywide ball and the lack of consistency, continuity, and fairness amongst SEC officials vs Div I as a whole is glaring. There are other bad crews outside of the SEC, but not nearly with the same level of density as within the SEC. The NCAA should move to general officiating pools instead of conference based officiating pools.

Reactions: jameslee32
can we enjoy this win first?
Sure, I enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm still enjoying it. I also thoroughly enjoyed that beat down of Auburn last Saturday. But my joy is lost when we turn around and lose at LSU. The same thing will happen again if we lose to Miss St on Tuesday. It wouldn't be a big deal if we had some margin for error, but it's all gone now. Actually, the loss to Florida and then LSU is what has killed us- 2 games we should have won- just like Miss St.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT