ADVERTISEMENT

Gracie Allen returning to Duke per Gary Parrish

Allen made a HUGE mistake in returning last year. Would have been a top 20 pick after his sophomore season.

He literally threw millions of dollars away. I still don't get why any of these top players go to Duke. Who can they point to in the NBA as being successful? Kyrie....who else?
Art Heyman
Jeff Mullins
Grant Hill
Elton Brand
Luol Deng
Corey Maggette
Shane Battier
Carlos Boozer
Mike Dunleavy
JJ Redick
Jabari Parker

Nope dead wrong, Allen is at least an average defender. Kennard was the weak link defensively last year; I love the guy but he couldn't guard a chair.

Jackson is a solid defender and has a chance to be elite in that area next year.

Trent is supposed to be a bulldog on defense like Briscoe. Why do you Rafters folks just assume that every guard Duke gets is going to suck on defense? We haven't even seen Trent play.

History

Duke board says Jackson is considering entering the draft. Someone will be the odd man out if they get Duval. Unless K decides to start 4 guards. Wouldn't put it past him.

If Cal would have told him he can play backup PG for 15 minutes a game. Certainly not as the starting SF.

he could of started as a PG next year. Not sure why people blame him for playing SF, when it's not his fault that Cal didn't get a SF recruit.

I really think Allen is going to have a negative impact on Jackson staying and knox/duval coming aboard. Jackson, like Kennard, will bail out to the NBA as he wont want to a part of that shit show another year. knox aint going there. Duval does not scare me. He is a good athlete but looks shaky shooting from the perimeter and some of the passes he made that were basic passes for a pt guard he made look difficult.
Let him go to duke and be a spoiled shit like allen. That will be a fun circus to watch.

Reactions: awf and Ghettobird
Nope dead wrong, Allen is at least an average defender. Kennard was the weak link defensively last year; I love the guy but he couldn't guard a chair.

Jackson is a solid defender and has a chance to be elite in that area next year.

Trent is supposed to be a bulldog on defense like Briscoe. Why do you Rafters folks just assume that every guard Duke gets is going to suck on defense? We haven't even seen Trent play.
Pretty simple. Because they always do. Always

Duke has more Defensive Players of the Year than any other college in history by a landslide.

Most 1st Year players are offense first so we"ll see how Quade Green and Gary Trent adjust to playing college D.
Your veteran backcourt was part of the 47th best adjD on Kenpom.

Our freshman backcourt could only manage 7th best adjD.

Where was he going to go? NBA would be dangerous to his health.
Exactly. Can you imagine him running into Cousins? Or even Ulis? Can you say "hard screen"? I can imagine GA with some sore ribs and bruises after every game asking for his mommy.

I have to admit it was going to be fun to see him trip some of the guys in the NBA and think he would get away with it. I am pretty sure Demarcus Cousins would give him a indefinite suspension from consciousness.

grayson and draymond would make a dynamic duo. two of the dirtiest players.

Reactions: awf and Ghettobird

First off as a Duke fan you should know that K completely changed his offensive philosophy due to his time coaching USA basketball and since he did they haven't really played anywhere near the same defensive standards. The last two years in particular K has started playing surprise zone in the middle of games as a "gotcha" tactic simply because the man to man defense was so bad he thought changing up the defense might steal a few possessions. I'm not sure why the huge increase in offensive efficiency has correlated to a severe drop in Duke's man to man defense but it has and it's not really arguable.

In particular Frank Jackson was a below average college defender last season as was Allen. However Allen had that toe injury that lingered the entire season and I do think that heavily contributed to his fall in defensive ability. I will concede that Trent has not played any college basketball yet and it's not fair to judge him until he does. But he is a weird height at 6'5 and unless you sign at PG then Allen is going to be the primary ball handler again Jackson at SG and Trent will slide into the SF. I have serious questions about his ability to guard college Small Forwards but we will wait to see how it plays out.

This is the same Allen that Ulis, Murray, and Briscoe went to the hole at will against?
Jackson did not log enough extended minutes to know about his defense in 25+ min/game
Most frosh can barely spell defense

It's rare for guards to be able to defend at a high level as freshmen.

The differences in both the athletic and cerebral aspects of defense between high school and college are too large for most kids to be able to get it down in a year or less.

Big men for the most part have an easier job on defense.

Does this effect them with recruits they're going after to round out their class? I mean think about it, do you think most kids WANT to play with Grayson Allen if given the choice?

Allen made a HUGE mistake in returning last year. Would have been a top 20 pick after his sophomore season.

He literally threw millions of dollars away. I still don't get why any of these top players go to Duke. Who can they point to in the NBA as being successful? Kyrie....who else?

He definitely should have left by now but this is revisionist history. Most people had Allen as a late first/early second round pick after his sophomore year.

Haven't you all learned by now? With Grayson coming back they are setting up Coach K to be the best coach that ever lived. Grayson will have no similar incidents this year and all the talking heads will be saying what a remarkable job K has done to get this All-Americans head on straight so he can now go make millions. Or something along those lines.

Reactions: Brando Mac
Haven't you all learned by now? With Grayson coming back they are setting up Coach K to be the best coach that ever lived. Grayson will have no similar incidents this year and all the talking heads will be saying what a remarkable job K has done to get this All-Americans head on straight so he can now go make millions. Or something along those lines.

Obviously in jest.. But there isn't much Coach K can do for Allen. It's all on him. When he's winning, he's fine.. but Duke is going to be worse next year and lose more games.. how will Allen fare with 3-5 more losses?

Could be Coach K's final season if even ONE of their recruits needs some time to adjust. ACC is going to hand them a lot of losses.

What does a Duke depth chart even look like? The one thing I do think they gained is the chance to upgrade a player in Chase Jeter who isn't a very good prospect. They should also be a more well rounded team with a guy like Wendell Carter being on campus.

What does a Duke depth chart even look like? The one thing I do think they gained is the chance to upgrade a player in Chase Jeter who isn't a very good prospect. They should also be a more well rounded team with a guy like Wendell Carter being on campus.

Bolden, Carter, DeLaurier, White, Vrankovic, Trent, Jackson, Allen, O'Connell, scrubs

Basically two key players back from a 9 loss team, to go with Trent, Carter and O'Connell. But I think they will probably get Duval or Waters, and maybe Smith or Knox. If they pulled out the hat trick and got Duval, Knox and Bamba, I might skip next season.

Not worried about Gracie returning. I have a feeling Rat Face prob wanted him to go. Duke had big time chemistry issues last season, and Gracie I'm sure was a big part of that. He has problems for sure, and this guy is walking time bomb!!!! He will not have a productive NBA career.

Allen is an average defender? lmfao OK.

Funny, how once they get into the NBA they can't defend worth a damn. Tough when you have to play by the rules.

If Duke cans claim their guards are generally great shooters (they are), then they have to accept that they are generally poor defenders (they are).

Reactions: awf
When he was a freshman I thought he could be pretty good as he was a good athlete with no fear who could also shoot.....then I started watching more and more and realized the kid is really just a shooter and has a real hard time finishing around the rim against good athletes. If you just leave him alone and stop bailing him out with fouls he will force drives and miss. Thinks he is a better athlete than he is and charges the rim thinking he can score but ends up covered and out of control most of the time. That won't get any better in the NBA.

Reactions: DanHalen88 and awf
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT