ADVERTISEMENT

Gracie Allen returning to Duke per Gary Parrish

When he was a freshman I thought he could be pretty good as he was a good athlete with no fear who could also shoot.....then I started watching more and more and realized the kid is really just a shooter and has a real hard time finishing around the rim against good athletes. If you just leave him alone and stop bailing him out with fouls he will force drives and miss. Thinks he is a better athlete than he is and charges the rim thinking he can score but ends up covered and out of control most of the time. That won't get any better in the NBA.

Which is why every time he drives, he throws his head back like he's JFK.

Nope dead wrong, Allen is at least an average defender. Kennard was the weak link defensively last year; I love the guy but he couldn't guard a chair.

Jackson is a solid defender and has a chance to be elite in that area next year.

Trent is supposed to be a bulldog on defense like Briscoe. Why do you Rafters folks just assume that every guard Duke gets is going to suck on defense? We haven't even seen Trent play.
You were here in November telling us all how Kennard was the second coming of Moses, now you are saying he couldn't guard a chair?
Replacing LK on defense might not be so difficult, but his outside shooting and play in the lane won you guys a lot of games last season. Take the dukie glasses off.

I cannot stand the guy, but that does make Duke a lot better next year. He played a large role in them winning a title as a freshman and was an All-American Averaging 20 ppg as a sophomore. If he can quit the antics, he will be a dangerous Senior guard.
He played a role on the title team because he came out of nowhere in the tournament and gave his team the lift they needed.
He hasn't done much of anything since.

Does duke have a pg next season, or is K going to make that mistake again? I guess that question would be for the resident duke fan here.

Best case scenario:

G Duval
G Jackson
G Allen
F Knox
F Carter

Bench

G Trent
F Bolden

That's a good team. Play small ball per usual for K. Interesting team. Top 5, most likely, but definitely not head and shoulders above the rest of the contenders.

Don't doubt K would sit Trent to start the season, but I can't see him sitting for long. Probably better than Jackson and Allen both.

Best case scenario:

G Duval
G Jackson
G Allen
F Knox
F Carter

Bench

G Trent
F Bolden

That's a good team. Play small ball per usual for K. Interesting team. Top 5, most likely, but definitely not head and shoulders above the rest of the contenders.

While that roster has a lot of talent, it is mostly very young, with only one upperclassman in Allen, and he isn't the best leader. 4 freshmen, 1 Senior, 1 legit Sophomore, and another Sophomore who barely played. I'm shocked he didn't transfer as it was rumored he wasn't the happiest of campers and I heard one talking head comment that Bolden looked as disinterested as he'd ever seen in some game late in the season.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Jackson at the 2 and Allen at the 3? Very undersized.. And with Duval with the ball.. How good can Duke be with Allen and Jackson on the floor and off the ball? Not very.

Duke is thin next year, log jammed at the #2, and comprised of players who all want the ball. That didn't work in 2016, didn't work in 2017, and won't work next year.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Wayne Turner loved going head-to-head against your "defensive player of the year" Wojo.[jumpingsmile][laughing][jumpingsmile][laughing][jumpingsmile][laughing][jumpingsmile][laughing][jumpingsmile]

Reactions: awf
Very Interesting - if Allen comes back, he's going to expect to get his points next year and be featured. Duke fans are already pondering whether he'll be preseason POY.

That campaign was derailed last year because of the emergence of Kennard and Tatum's ballhogging. If Jackson is coming back, it's because HE also expects to start and star enough to be a first rounder.

Throw into the mix Carter and Trent, two top 10 recruits who also expect to start next year and get their shots, a disgruntled former Top 10 guy in Bolden who did his penance and now is going to expect to start.

Now add in a primadonna like Duval who has expressly stated he's just looking for the biggest stage to play on in his one year in college before he goes to the NBA and possibly one or two other Top 10 guys in Knox or Bamba?

Puke is saying that Jackson is coming back. I'm not linking their source as that would be blasphemy to do so here

grayson-allen-ted-cruz-twin-son-ftr.jpg

"Father?"

Duke has more Defensive Players of the Year than any other college in history by a landslide.

Most 1st Year players are offense first so we"ll see how Quade Green and Gary Trent adjust to playing college D.

Oh dear Lord. Wojo was defensive player of the year and Wayne Freaking Turner made him look like his shoes were lead. Tubby let Turner take Wojo 1 on 1 over and over again because the Defensive POY couldn't stop him. Just because the media slobbers over a Duke player doesn't make the hype true.

Nope dead wrong, Allen is at least an average defender. Kennard was the weak link defensively last year; I love the guy but he couldn't guard a chair.

Jackson is a solid defender and has a chance to be elite in that area next year.

Trent is supposed to be a bulldog on defense like Briscoe. Why do you Rafters folks just assume that every guard Duke gets is going to suck on defense? We haven't even seen Trent play.
No he isn't. Trent has never been or never will be quick enough to play defense like Briscoe. He looks unaggressive in the all Star games. Maybe one of the most over rated players in the class. He could just physically over power hs guards. He won't be doing that in college.

Seriously, it's like he was trying to make our point for us.
Oh isn't near as funny as last year. He came here using the name zachdeer1 then zachdeer2 claimed Bolden would dominant Bam one on one because Bam had weak legs and wouldn't be able to play inside. Said Bam was build like Bryant from IU and not Dwight Howard. Claimed that we better be glad we got beat in 11 and 15 cause those duke treams would have blown us out not just beat us but blown us out. Those 2 teams may have gotten beat in the tourney but nobody was blowing them out

You were here in November telling us all how Kennard was the second coming of Moses, now you are saying he couldn't guard a chair?
Replacing LK on defense might not be so difficult, but his outside shooting and play in the lane won you guys a lot of games last season. Take the dukie glasses off.
Lol he was here last summer too under zachdeer1 and zachdeer2 and ur right he even was throwing Kennards defensive effeciency numbers around

Reactions: kyjeff1
Best case scenario:

G Duval
G Jackson
G Allen
F Knox
F Carter

Bench

G Trent
F Bolden

Good but I don't think top 5 not playing in the ACC unless Bolden is head and shoulders better than last year. Carter wants to be a stretch 4 badly and has a rep as a pouter. He is awful short for 6ft10 I am guessing 6ft8.5 maybe 6ft9. Does have some weight but he doesn't seem to throw it around wants to finesse. Have seen him vs Richards in a hs game and he played on the perimeter and jacked up threes and got mad when the coach took him out with foul trouble. The thing that kinda stood out to me at the hoop summit is he seemed to be overwhelmed playing against guys as tall or taller than him. I do not see him being able to defend well enough and he hasn't shown any major rim protection ability. I feel Like Bolden starts the 5

Good but I don't think top 5 not playing in the ACC unless Bolden is head and shoulders better than last year. Carter wants to be a stretch 4 badly and has a rep as a pouter. He is awful short for 6ft10 I am guessing 6ft8.5 maybe 6ft9. Does have some weight but he doesn't seem to throw it around wants to finesse. Have seen him vs Richards in a hs game and he played on the perimeter and jacked up threes and got mad when the coach took him out with foul trouble. The thing that kinda stood out to me at the hoop summit is he seemed to be overwhelmed playing against guys as tall or taller than him. I do not see him being able to defend well enough and he hasn't shown any major rim protection ability. I feel Like Bolden starts the 5
Yeah, Carter doesn't look 6'10 to me either. Just don't see this guy playing center and dominating. If he plays the 4 and Bolden plays the 5 then K sits one of the guards. If they get Knox and Bamba then I will be concerned, but I am not worried about this team as constructed.

Reactions: Dablueman
Don't doubt K would sit Trent to start the season, but I can't see him sitting for long. Probably better than Jackson and Allen both.
[roll]

Trent will get some bench minutes next year but he's not a One and Done guy in my opinion and should be a Dukie for at least 2 years.

Saying that Trent will be better than Jackson or Allen is borderline insane. Frank Jackson was ranked higher than Allen or Kennard is a much more stacked HS recruiting class. He's primed to explode next year just like Grayson and Luke did.

South Carolina
Duke lost to a Final 4 team in their backyard in Greenville, SC. That's not a bad loss, just a tough one.

Clearly the SC team that played in the NCAAT was much better than the one that showed up at the end of the SEC season. If UK had played them in South Carolina, they could have very well lost too.

Duke lost to a Final 4 team in their backyard in Greenville, SC. That's not a bad loss, just a tough one.

Clearly the SC team that played in the NCAAT was much better than the one that showed up at the end of the SEC season. If UK had played them in South Carolina, they could have very well lost too.
Nope dude Ark should have beat UNC refs intervened We Should have beat UNC refs intervened we damn near had 4 teams in the elite 8 and it's a shame Florida had to play SC. Florida got to the elite 8 with their best big man hurt zachdeer1. U have always drank the media hype based on ur posts the sec wasnt weak we were just young we grew up. The UK team that handled SC in the regular season was alot better in March. SC wasn't much better than they were all year. You guys were just way over rated

Reactions: crittel56
[roll]

Trent will get some bench minutes next year but he's not a One and Done guy in my opinion and should be a Dukie for at least 2 years.

Saying that Trent will be better than Jackson or Allen is borderline insane. Frank Jackson was ranked higher than Allen or Kennard is a much more stacked HS recruiting class. He's primed to explode next year just like Grayson and Luke did.

I forgot K's ability to take a Top 10 player and turn him into a multi-year guy. My bad.

Also, Jeter was ranked 11th, and look at him. You guys sure know how to develop players.

What Kennard gave us last year can be replaced with an improved Allen and Jackson this year. Luke kind of faded down the stretch to be honest and was a no show in the NCAAT.

His defense was so bad that it really hurt Duke's ability to play effective man-to-man.

Coach K can shit out top 10 offenses, I'd rather add key defensive pieces to surround Allen and Jackson along with a true PG in Duval.

I forgot K's ability to take a Top 10 player and turn him into a multi-year guy. My bad.

Also, Jeter was ranked 11th, and look at him. You guys sure know how to develop players.
All I know is somebody on that team has to play PG and that is going to be a disaster if they don't pick up a true PG.

Ok, let's look at the record. Last time we played SC at their place last season, Cal got ejected early in the game, and we won by 27.

Unless Frank got better lateral quickness and learned to shoot he won't. Kennard and Allan could always shoot. Neither Allan or Kennard got better defensively. They simply learned about shot selection and how to move to get better shots to use their already existing shot.

Nope dude Ark should have beat UNC refs intervened We Should have beat UNC refs intervened we damn near had 4 teams in the elite 8 and it's a shame Florida had to play SC. Florida got to the elite 8 with their best big man hurt zachdeer1. U have always drank the media hype based on ur posts the sec wasnt weak we were just young we grew up. The UK team that handled SC in the regular season was alot better in March. SC wasn't much better than they were all year. You guys were just way over rated
Are you trolling?

South Carolina blew out Marquette, beat Duke convincingly, destroyed Baylor, handled Florida and played Gonzaga to the last possession and you think they're the same team that lost to Bama in the SECT the week before?

It's clear that right after the SECT loss, Frank Martin engineered a "tweak" and rallied his players to compete even harder on the defensive end.

Uhhh...? Going back to 2008 on Rivals...

Kyrie, Top Ten, OAD
Austin, Top Ten, OAD
Jabari, Top Ten, OAD
Jah, Top Ten, OAD
Tyus, Top Ten, OAD
Ingram, Top Ten, OAD
Giles, Top Ten, OAD
Tatum, Top Ten, OAD

Not one guy who was top ten and stayed more than a year. Silents, it is like you literally make stuff up. I get that you really hate Duke and hate K, but you should at least be somewhat truthful, no?

Top Ten guys will usually be OAD in today's day and age, no matter where they go to school. Sure, a few here and there might not turn out to be as good as anticipated against better competition and thus stay longer (especially in the bottom half of the top 10) but the list of Top Ten guys who don't go after one year is really, really short.

And yeah. South Carolina, a team that made the Final Four and nearly made the national title game, wasn't very good, and were basically the same as the team that went 26-11. Sure. The team clearly just stayed the same.

:flushed:

[roll]

Bet K didn't tell him he wasn't a one and done when he recruited him. I imagine he told him he could help him get to the NBA as fast as anyone. Lol I know he told Carter that cause Carter was quoted as saying I am going to use the college I go to the same as they are using me. He will fit right in

Ok, let's look at the record. Last time we played SC at their place last season, Cal got ejected early in the game, and we won by 27.
That was like at the end of January, teams change each week in college basketball as young players mature and lineup changes are made.

Thornwell played like the best player in the country in March and Silva was a beast down low.

SCar was a top 5 team by the end of the season.

Stop basing your judgment of recruits on All-Star games, I'd rather trust the scouts who've seen these players play in an organized setting.

The ACC should actually be way down next year with UNC being mediocre, FSU going back to being irrelevant, NC State will be flaming trash and UVA won't be nearly as good with Perrantes leaving and their transfers.

The ACC will be a 3 team race between Duke, Louisville and ND.

The SEC will be better than the ACC next year in my opinion.

What Kennard gave us last year can be replaced with an improved Allen and Jackson this year. Luke kind of faded down the stretch to be honest and was a no show in the NCAAT.

No show in the tournament maybe, but he didn't fade down the stretch going into the tournament. Check his game log.

It's going to be so satisfying when K leaves, Duke hires Capel (lol) and they basically become what UConn is today.

ADVERTISEMENT