ADVERTISEMENT

Duke vs Virginia Union

Duke will have to slow the game down and play a zone to stay competitive. Kentucky is shooting like 40% from three in all of our exhibitions/scrimmages so far though. Duke has some length on the perimeter in Barrett and Reddish that could make it tougher.

Kentucky is better conditioned and deeper from what little I’ve seen so far.

I just don’t think this duke team will be able to hang with us this early in the season but I’ve been wrong before.
Even if they want to, I'd be surprised if a team of four freshmen would be able to control tempo against Kentucky's guards and play an effective zone defense in early November.

6790043829_821eec4416_b-1.jpg
Jack White and Javin are quality bench pieces for us.

Reid Travis, as of today, will probably be the 2nd best player on the court come November 6th. Not sure I buy Zion and Reddish being better than him in their first college game. End of the year maybe.

By better do you mean as a college player, or an NBA prospect? As prospects probably all 3 of Duke's freshmen will be better, as a college player, Travis is probably more solid.

By better do you mean as a college player, or an NBA prospect? As prospects probably all 3 of Duke's freshmen will be better, as a college player, Travis is probably more solid.

Dukes three freshman will but up big numbers this year. It really comes down to if any of them play a lick of defense this year. But those three will be really impactful all year long.

Duke goes 8 deep. That’s more than enough and is the norm in Durham. So versatile, Duke is going to be very good. Definitely excited

Reactions: BLUEDEVILLinKY
Duke is sleepwalking right now because they are so much better. When the bright lights are on in Indy on November 6th, expect the defensive focus to be top notch.

Jack White and Javin are quality bench pieces for us.
Jack White was great in school of rock

I just mean as a player just in that game, at that moment, Reid Travis will be the 2nd best player on the court. NBA certainly those three are better in the long term.

I'm not even sure I'd put Reddish above PJ for that game at that point in time. I think i'd put it at: 1. Barrett 2. Travis 3. Zion 4. Washington.

The most points a UK freshman has scored in the Cal era in their debut is 25 by Terrence Jones. The debuts have all been against scrub teams, and that's been the highest. Not to mention, he ALSO had the benefit of a foreign trip that year. Very few players straight up dominate their first meaningful game of their entire career. And Duke has to bank on three of them doing just that?

I'm not sure enough people are putting enough stock into the idea that even elite college players don't make a huge jump until after the first month or so.

It"ll be interesting; UK has more depth but Duke has the 3 best players. Foul trouble and outside shooting could decide this heavyweight battle.
Duke might have 3 players that are slightly more talented than what UK has, but I guarantee you that UK's guys are going to play harder and out-tough those 3 freshmen.
I'll admit, Zion and Barret are flat out studs, but they better play hard for 40 on November 6th, if they don't, they'll get embarassed.

I just mean as a player just in that game, at that moment, Reid Travis will be the 2nd best player on the court. NBA certainly those three are better in the long term.

I'm not even sure I'd put Reddish above PJ for that game at that point in time. I think i'd put it at: 1. Barrett 2. Travis 3. Zion 4. Washington.

The most points a UK freshman has scored in the Cal era in their debut is 25 by Terrence Jones. The debuts have all been against scrub teams, and that's been the highest. Not to mention, he ALSO had the benefit of a foreign trip that year. Very few players straight up dominate their first meaningful game of their entire career. And Duke has to bank on three of them doing just that?

I'm not sure enough people are putting enough stock into the idea that even elite college players don't make a huge jump until after the first month or so.

I will agree that Duke's freshmen are ranked higher, and may be a little more talented, but I will take a team that plays together and leaves it all on the floor, like this UK team does, over a little more talent, anyday. I also agree with you that Duke may be better late in the year, and when I say better, I mean improved, not better than UK, but at this point, UK is much further progressed. When you add UK's much deeper bench to the equation, I think UK wins by 9-12 pts.

Last edited:
I can’t wait to see how these kids do vs Kentucky. Definitely the biggest challenge of the year

Duke is going to be good, but it's going to take time.

Five brand new starters. Four are Freshmen. They will win a lot games early because they will just out talent other teams. They will struggle in January and early February against ACC competition, then start figuring it out. By March, they will be a tough out in the tourney.

As for the first game against UK, I think it will be a close game, but UK's depth will wear them down.

UK wins by 6-8.

If Duke goes 8 deep, then K should put one of these guys in for Bolden, because he is miserable. If Bolden is starting, that is all I need to know about your bench.

I expect Javin to start in the long term he’s coming off a stress reaction in his foot

Zion is a lot like randle.. but better. He might be the only inside game they need but without him they suck down low
Dude...he won't even be able to guard PJ Washington...much less any other big we have. He will have a few dunks and that's it. Hes not a post player...hes 6'6

If one of Dukes big three gets in foul trouble it is over. They cannot go more than 5 minutes or so without all three on the floor. Any one of the three will create a nightmare matchup for them. They better hope and pray the NCAA stays out of Durham and that those theee stay healthy.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
As far as impact or helpful they go 7 deep. It’s not the usual 8 due to lack of shooting, defense and post scoring PLUS age. This isn’t the usual short rotation Duke has because they usually over compensate with at least two of the things I named

Duke goes 8 deep. That’s more than enough and is the norm in Durham. So versatile, Duke is going to be very good. Definitely excited

Reactions: LNAllison
8 deep? After the top 3 and Jones who else?

K will have the rotation down to 7 by tourney time.

Barrett, Reddish, Williamson, Jones, DeLaurier, O'Connell, and Bolden.

And if Bolden doesn't step up, then it might be White or Baker instead of him.

Reactions: JC43
I think they can survive foul trouble unless it’s Jones. Goldwire is someone you don’t want to play major minutes unless it’s a blowout

If one of Dukes big three gets in foul trouble it is over. They cannot go more than 5 minutes or so without all three on the floor. Any one of the three will create a nightmare matchup for them. They better hope and pray the NCAA stays out of Durham and that those theee stay healthy.

I think they can survive foul trouble unless it’s Jones. Goldwire is someone you don’t want to play major minutes unless it’s a blowout

Agreed.

When Jones is out of the game, it's probably Reddish and/or Barrett running the point.

It"ll be interesting; UK has more depth but Duke has the 3 best players. Foul trouble and outside shooting could decide this heavyweight battle.

That’s nothing more than your opinion. Barrett is probably the best overall player, but I think Keldon and maybe even Herro are just as good if not better than Reddish. PJ and Reid Travis will more than neutralize Zion. That’s not even counting Richards and Montgomery, and you have no one to check them. Lastly, we have a three-headed PG monster with Green, Quickley, and Hagans. Good luck with that!

Reactions: CatfanMike47
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT