ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Wright Not Interested

Farsight

Junior
Nov 27, 2011
Reading between the lines here. Watching the Oregon vs Creighton Halftime show. The guy to the left of Candace Parker said he's been getting "a lot of texts about you Jay, but I know you're not interested". Jay just awkwardly laughed.

I bet that was for UK Lol.

Too bad. What a hire that would be.

Reading between the lines here. Watching the Oregon vs Creighton Halftime show. The guy to the left of Candace Parker said he's been getting "a lot of texts about you Jay, but I know you're not interested". Jay just awkwardly laughed.

But but frosty tells us no one has reached out anywhere to gauge interest. Please

Reactions: JRS_OH_Cat
I don't want a coach who is already burned out and in retirement. Not hungry and driven enough in this era of the portal and NIL. IIRC, he also made some statement when the job was last open about turning it down saying he would be a fish out of water in Lexington. Something like that. Prime Jay Wright I would be all for. Nowadays, I don't see him being motivated enough to want to deal with the pressure.

So you’re saying he didn’t say no?

I would say why do they keep doing it? They did a skit yesterday too about UK offering him 2 billion to coach (in a joking way) but why? Where there’s smoke there’s 🔥!

I don't want a coach who is already burned out and in retirement. Not hungry and driven enough in this era of the portal and NIL. IIRC, he also made some statement when the job was last open about turning it down saying he would be a fish out of water in Lexington. Something like that. Prime Jay Wright I would be all for. Nowadays, I don't see him being motivated enough to want to deal with the pressure.
That’s a good point. He also left before the transfer portal became a thing and roster construction was an entirely different ball game. I don’t think any of the old guard of coaches that have stuck around are doing particularly well with the new rules unless I’m having a brain fart.

Anyone with a brain knows Jay, Donovan, Steven's aren't ever happening. Some fans continue to throw those unrealistic names out

If Mitch follows through and has the balls to get Cal out, 1 dude fits Mitchs bill, Drew. That will be our coach

Last edited:
Anyone with a brain knows Jay, Donovan, Steven's aren't even happening. Some fans continue to throw those unrealistic names out

If Mitch follows through and has the balls to get Cal out, 1 dude fits Mitchs bill, Drew. That will be our coach
Just let us dream a little lol, we know they won’t but it’s okay to have a dream. But you’re right I think it’ll be Drew also, although Oats or Pearl would be the better hire

Oats isn't coming here now. That extension he signed likely ups his buyout and we aren't going to pay a huge buyout and Cal's salary. I'd be surprised if we don't go after some top mid major coach that we can get cheap. Unless there is a bigger coach with a cheap buyout.

Anyone with a brain knows Jay, Donovan, Steven's aren't ever happening. Some fans continue to throw those unrealistic names out

Drew to me is 50/50. He's not an exciting hire. He can recruit, he can run plays, but I don't know. His name should be on the list but not the first few calls imo

Coaches dont talk about jobs that arent open yet like that so of course he wouldnt be interested while Cal is still the coach here.. Thats considered a no no unwritten rule

The fan base is going nuts right now, coaches dont like to see that.

Oats or Pearl will be the one we're stuck with.
You're spouting a weak narrative that is actually just mythology.

Why wouldn't a coach be impressed with our fan base's passion? It's precisely that passion on a macro level that could double a coaches net worth over the course of a lifetime.

Your narrative is absolute myth, and it exactly the same type of drivel that Vitale said about UK when Tubby left.

Good try though. That type of BS isn't going to cut it here anymore.

Last edited:
The fan base is going nuts right now, coaches dont like to see that.

Oats or Pearl will be the one we're stuck with.
Coaches with big egos who want to win at the highest levels love the craziest fanbases. Our fans are as rabid as ever that is not a bad thing to have on your side. And it’s never stopped us in the past

Reactions: Fox2monk
Think about it, maybe he misses coaching, where better to coach than UK? He has no buyout! 😂
He was part of the broadcast crew for several games at Rupp this year. He saw how great the fans are. He’s talked before about his mentor Rollie Massemino (sp?) having one of his greatest moments of his life in Rupp Arena. (Winning the national championship there in 1985)

Wright did some great things at Nova. He won with super experienced plays that grew together over many years. He even red-shirted players and had them as 5th year seniors. He had a heck of a lot of Round of 64 and 32 exits as well.

That world of growing teams over a 4 to 5 year period does not exist in this day.

Man I’d offer that dude something he couldn’t turn down. If he don’t wanna recruit or do NIL set him up with an assistant who’s number #1 job is just that.

Reactions: Ugoff
But but frosty tells us no one has reached out anywhere to gauge interest. Please

I think he means more along the lines of his connections / random friends in the college basketball community have been texting him about Wright. Similar to on here “We should reach out to Wright. Make him say no”

It’s a forgone conclusion that Jay Wright would not accept this job. I know technically it’s not “fact” but it’s about as close as you can get.

That being said, in a dream world I’d love to have him here.

It doesn’t mean you don’t make sure and gauge their interest though as unrealistic as it may be. And as for drew frosty throwing the he “hasn’t heard of uk reaching out” well maybe that’s why. Maybe Barney already has his guy.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I think he means more along the lines of his connections / random friends in the college basketball community have been texting him about Wright. Similar to on here “We should reach out to Wright. Make him say no”

It’s a forgone conclusion that Jay Wright would not accept this job. I know technically it’s not “fact” but it’s about as close as you can get.

That being said, in a dream world I’d love to have him here.
If drew is his guy there’s no reason to make any calls. I don’t want jay wright. He will take a while to get us on track. We need someone hungry will hit the portal day 1.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT