ADVERTISEMENT

Duke vs Virginia Union

This morgan guy lost all credibility on this discussion when he said Rupp wasn't racist. Even most UK fans will admit that. But thats not a knock on him as a coach the man won in an era dominated by mostly white teams, hate him as much as i do can't deny he could coach. Nor should this be a knock against modern day UK. Those days racism was rampant in just about every major program Duke included. (I just personally don't like UK playing in an arena named after him, we will take down Confederate statues due to racisim but ignore it in basketball just my opinion)

K, Cal, just about every coach that wants to win will recruit a kid based on talent. Race really has nothing to do with it. Your perception of duke being a white dominant school is based off what the media has fed you. As i said for every significant white duke player there has been a black player just as important if not more on the team.
Cameron Indoor Stadium is named after Eddie Cameron, who was a coach and athletic director at Duke during the same time that Rupp coached at Kentucky. How many black players did Duke have during that time? Does that mean your gym is named after a racist?

Also, you probably forgot that UK beat an all white Duke team in the '66 semifinals before losing to Texas Western in the championship game. I guess that makes Vic Bubas a racist too.

I have zero doubt Zion can do the same Vs bigger players. When he was at Adidas nations he played Vs bigger top players in those games and against some college big guys when they had their games after the Adidas games and Zion scored almost easier because he takes bigger guys off the dribble. Did the same as a soph at the NBPA camp where all the PF and C were taller than him and got MVP.

The thing some ignore is the fact that he is very quick and handles the ball very well for a PF. He’s basically like those prototypes that tenn has except more athletic and stronger. Also like a more athletic Bonzie Colson but doesn’t shoot as well. But if you watch Bonzie he didn’t kill you with being a great shooter.

Also I played with Lonny Baxter, he wasn’t that tall but he was a legit 6’6 and some change without shoes, people put too much emphasis in height but if you are strong and have post moves you can score on bigs as easily as y’all guys can. The issue happens when you are at a stand still and go straight up with a big but basketball is a moving sport so you rarely have that happen

Four our purposes, the only question that matters is how Zion will matchup with PJ, Travis, Richards, and EJ.

The jury is obviously out, but UK has four future NBA players for Zion to plow through. I'd take Zion over any of them individually, but I wouldn't take Zion over the collective.

Reactions: Aike
Duke could win it all, but history is against them.

Teams don't win the title after losing 5 starters from the previous year.

I'm fairly certain your starting fives were better than South Carolina and Kansas the last two years, too. How'd that work out for you?

I'm disappointed in you. I thought you were not one of those guys who so easily dismisses the complexity of what it actually takes to win a basketball game.

And this call to buy stock in DeLaurier is the weirdest argument I've ever seen from a Duke fan. Whatever helps you guys sleep at night as you visually try to construct a complete team in your minds...
I don't see your point here; sometimes rosters don't work out and teams flop in a 1 and Done tournament.

You still want to stockpile the best talent available when you have a HoF coach.

The same could be said of UK vs KState this year and UK vs Indiana back in 2016, 2 superior UK teams lost.

That's why its so hard to win a national championship; you need the bracket, luck, the right roster and good coaching decisions to all line up.

I don't see your point here; sometimes rosters don't work out and teams flop in a 1 and Done tournament.

You still want to stockpile the best talent available when you have a HoF coach.

The same could be said of UK vs KState this year and UK vs Indiana back in 2016, 2 superior UK teams lost.

That's why its so hard to win a national championship; you need the bracket, luck, the right roster and good coaching decisions to all line up.

Two pretty bad examples, considering those were the two worst teams we’ve put into the tournament this decade.

We weren’t shocked when they went out because they were flawed all season. Unlike this Duke juggernaut two years ago. I can still hear Bilas crying about how much they deserved a one seed. [laughing]

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Two pretty bad examples, considering those were the two worst teams we’ve put into the tournament this decade.

We weren’t shocked when they went out because they were flawed all season. Unlike this Duke juggernaut two years ago. I can still hear Bilas crying about how much they deserved a one seed. [laughing]

You just annihilated the Duke fan.

Poor chap never had a chance.

Reactions: Aike
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT