ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Wright Not Interested

I don’t know why so many people keep suggesting Wright as even a remote possibility. He won two titles and has nothing left to prove. If he wanted to be coaching, he’d still be at Villanova.

As good as it might seem, Wright isn’t the guy either. He’s 62. That’s not old by any stretch but it’s not what we need. We need someone in the 50ish range. Lived enough to know what up but young enough to kick some ass for a while.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
Just let us dream a little lol, we know they won’t but it’s okay to have a dream. But you’re right I think it’ll be Drew also, although Oats or Pearl would be the better hire
If it's Drew, we may as well keep Cal and save $33 mil. He flames out in the first round every year.

• Haha
Reactions: westerncat
Man I’d offer that dude something he couldn’t turn down. If he don’t wanna recruit or do NIL set him up with an assistant who’s number #1 job is just that.
Well there's a NIL program already setup here. So he shouldn't have to deal with it. Just go after who you want and it will get taken care of. Then just do the coaching.

Well there's a NIL program already setup here. So he shouldn't have to deal with it. Just go after who you want and it will get taken care of. Then just do the coaching.
I’m sure he hates all that comes with having to deal with donors and stuff to keep the pipeline flowing. I don’t get the feeling he is a massive people person like Cal is publicly at least. Seems more classical like I don’t wanna deal with handlers and all that, just coach a team.

Reactions: KyCatFan
I don't want a coach who is already burned out and in retirement. Not hungry and driven enough in this era of the portal and NIL. IIRC, he also made some statement when the job was last open about turning it down saying he would be a fish out of water in Lexington. Something like that. Prime Jay Wright I would be all for. Nowadays, I don't see him being motivated enough to want to deal with the pressure.
Maybe that coaching itch is coming back as UK likely opens up. Facilities, money, a fanbase who would accept him with open arms. Who knows?

call me crazy but he sure acted odd as hell when it was brought up MULTIPLE times, it wasn't just a one time thing, it was brought up multiple times over the last couple days, could be absolutely nothing (more than likely it's not) but ... it could be something.

Reactions: Ugoff
Jay is 62 years old. Wouldn’t we want someone a little, umm, you know… not saying 62 is old, just how long would he be here?

Love Jay Wright as a coach but don't want him at UK. As a retired person myself I know that once you get in that mode going back to a active, hungry mode is almost impossible. He has resolved himself to accepting what he has already achieved as acceptable for his life body of work in basketball. Just to get him to leave retirement from basketball to return for money would not bring back the "fire in the belly" he would need to move the program back to where it needs to be. We need an upcoming young, hungry coach with aspiring dreams to bring UK back. JMO.

If the job comes open, you call ANYONE you feel is the best candidate.

These fans saying, “so and so will never come here” have settled for mediocrity. Is it possible that someone says no? Of course. Will they laugh in our face and feel disrespected that we asked? Not a chance. This is UK. It’s an honor to be considered a candidate for this job. If you don’t swing for the fences, you shouldn’t be AD here.

We can observe the slightest twitch of the eye or some other movement in discerning if someone is interested.

He’s not going to admit it on national TV even if he was. He knows it would detract from the NCAAT. Typical coach speak.

Mods please ban everyone that says something as a definitive statement but clearly
Doesn’t know shit

That’s a pipe dream but what guy is going to say he’s interested in a job that’s not available? Common sense.

What the hell did Calipari achieve prior to UK? A runner up? Lol, Pearl has a final four.
Cal had a helluva resume prior to UK.

1996 UK was possibly the best team ever. Calipari was at UMass with one player and kicked UK’s butt that season and took them to the wire in the Final Four.

Cal had a helluva resume prior to UK.

1996 UK was possibly the best team ever. Calipari was at UMass with one player and kicked UK’s butt that season and took them to the wire in the Final Four.
I fail to see how 2 final fours and a runner up, is ''a helluva rsesume'' when you apply the standards of this board. Drew won a title, isn't wanted, Pearl went to a final four, what has he ever won, Donovan won 2 titles, yeah but he hasn't coached college in a while. Just on and on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT