ADVERTISEMENT

Tournament storylines

TucsonCat

Sophomore
Sep 10, 2022
Not many. I love old coaches vs old schools, or mentor vs student. I don't even see the interstate directional school matchups.

Nebraska vs Texas AM
Trev Alberts old job at alma mater vs New One for the money

Possible Tennessee vs Texas round 2
Current job vs one that should've kept him

Possible Wisconsin vs Duke Round 2.
2015 rematch

-Ya got UK and Duke staring down an elite 8 match up if everything goes according to plan. That would be huge.

-Seemingly every SEC team got a decent draw and very winnable first match ups and potential second match ups. Conference could make some late season noise.

-Arizona sitting with nice runway. Potential for them to be "back" as a prominent program and for folks to kind of start talking about Lloyd as being a marquee name.

-Shaka Smart could very easily advance to the SS and blip back on the coaching carousel radar and "short list" scene.

* not a storyline, but committee F'd up by not having Pitino and Cal in the same region on course to play one another. All the history and storylines that would've come with that match up...great TV...

There are enough storylines just due to parity and risk for anyone to beat anyone any day. I think the committee had a hard enough time picking matchups that could be exciting, so adding in the "storylines" that most fans really don't care about wasn't even value added.

I for one don't care about dramatic storylines as much as I do tough matchups. Teams are there to play the best competition, not dwell on past stories that link the schools or coaches before most of them were even born.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT