ADVERTISEMENT

Cutting the cord question for fellow Kentucky Fans

I'm in the process of cutting the cord and getting rid of the ridiculously expensive Comcast/Xfinity cable. Does anyone have suggestions for an alternative that would get me Kentucky Basketball here in Pennsylvania? I'm thinking about YouTube TV and seeing what else I need.

Sorry, I know this is sort of off topic, but it is really about me not losing my access to Kentucky games.

Thanks in advance!
I just cancelled Direct TV and am now sharing YouTube TV with someone. It has the SEC Network on it and is about $80 a month. You can have a "family" of 4-5 people, and everyone can split costs so you could pay as little as $15-20 a month for it.

If you are a NFL fan, YTTV has Sunday Ticket. Right now they are running a discount. After it expires Sunday Ticket is like $349. I THINK you can do 3, maybe it is 4 installment payments for it though. If not mistaken.

Edit : You can do 4 payments of $87.25 (non cancelable) for Sunday Ticket. BUT you must have at least the You Tube TV basic package.

Last edited:
I've had youtube tv for several years and it has been good. I'm annoyed at present because their rates are ticking up and they dropped mlb network over a dispute. Not seeing my Dodgers sucks.

Reactions: blubo
I test drove YouTubeTV for a few months. I canceled it (because I'm hardly watching reg TV these days) but will turn it back on for the season. Actually, I'll probably break down and turn it back on for the Olympics. I was happy with it though. A negative was that I wasn't a huge fan of the interface through my FireTV and it's limited remote features.

You get a discount your first three months, so my advice (if your primarily only getting it for UK basketball) is to wait til right before the first game.

Also, a great feature of YTTV, is that you can take it with you on your phone. That way you don't have to miss anything when your nephew decides to get married on a Saturday afternoon mega game day.
that is the best part about yttv is being able to pause and restart without penalty

I just cancelled Direct TV and am now sharing YouTube TV with someone. It has the SEC Network on it and is about $80 a month. You can have a "family" of 4-5 people, and everyone can split costs so you could pay as little as $15-20 a month for it.
If they aren't typically watching in the same house, your "family" will get shut down at some point.

Thanks, everyone. I really do appreciate the help. We started our free trial of YouTube TV last night, so I'm going to give that a shot. My most recent bill from Comcast for Cable and Internet was $294, so YouTube TV and just internet access should save me a lot.
Wow. I was paying roughly $250 monthly back
Other than Hulus prices that kept going through the roof, the true deal breaker flr me with Hulu was that the commercials got extremely loud so there was a constant battle of having the remote at the ready to turn the volume down being I had to turn it way up for whatever program I was watching. I thought it was a problem on my end till I started to hear the same thing from numerous people. YTTV is the way and the picture is much better than Hulu and zero buffering. Hulu sucks IMO.
Agree on most of that. We would have YTTV if it weren’t for bundling with Disney for our 4 yr old. If she ain’t happy…

Hulu has fixed the volume on the commercials, but it was super annoying. Agreed on the picture too. I don’t understand the tech behind it, but YTTV pic is definitely more crisp than Hulu.

Reactions: KFuqua
I'm in the process of cutting the cord and getting rid of the ridiculously expensive Comcast/Xfinity cable. Does anyone have suggestions for an alternative that would get me Kentucky Basketball here in Pennsylvania? I'm thinking about YouTube TV and seeing what else I need.

Sorry, I know this is sort of off topic, but it is really about me not losing my access to Kentucky games.

Thanks in advance!
I cut the cord in the Fall of 2022. On the recommendation of my oldest step-son who is pretty tech-savvy, we switched to YouTube TV, and we've been satisfied with it. More "satisfied" of course, without the $350/month cable bill ! ! !
Go 'Cats ! ! !

• Love
I do not know what your monthly costs are for Comcast/Xfinity, however cutting the cord is not any less expensive in many instances.

E.g. I was paying around $150/mo for DirectTV...cut the cord...and now I pay more than that. Just to get "internet" to my house is $100/mo. YouTubeTV $70/mo. Add in Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Disney, etc.....

However, and I am not in Kentucky...YouTubeTV is absolutely the way to go. I only subscribe during the NCAA/NFL football season, then cancel it after. I also recommend ESPN+ as a few of Kentucky's game have been broadcast there as well.

I’m always curious when people say streaming can be more expensive. Did you already have internet service before switching from DirectTV? And were you subscribed to services like Netflix, Prime, etc before making the switch?

Thanks in advance!
I went through this same exercise. I have youtubeTV and several streamers and even with all of that, it is much cheaper than my old Cable/Internet package. I live in Tennessee and never have any issues with getting UK games so youtubeTV should do you well

good to know- just started using youtube tv
I travel with a fire stick and had YTTV on it. I got locked out once and the customer rep said it needs to log in from home from time to time. So on occasion I had to log in the fire stick at home and let it run awhile and never had another problem. Use that info however you want, just telling my story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT