ADVERTISEMENT

Miss State basketball fans must really hate Kentucky...

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
It is bad enough that Kentucky leads the overall series 96-19. (103-21 if you count the games when they were Mississippi A&M.)

But think about some of the crushing losses at their arena or in other big games. I was recalling the game in 2004 when Eric Daniels just grabbed an errant pass out of the air and scooped it in as the clock struck zero in the Hump.

And consider 2010: Two OT losses in one year. Kentucky beats a pretty good MSU team on the road in OT (the Cousins 'call me' game.) Then in the SEC Tourney final, with the Bulldogs NCAA tourney hopes in the balance, Kentucky pulls off the extremely rare intentional missed FT play with Cousins scoring at the buzzer to force OT, with the Cats then pulling away.

Even when the Cats had some bad or ordinary teams like 2021 and 2022, they won OT games against MSU, once there once in Rupp.

Then last night.

So many Lucy pulling the football moments for one group of fans to suffer at the hands of Kentucky. And it's a pretty rabid bunch. No wonder they seem to get louder and angrier and uglier every time the Cats play there.

Last edited:
images

Edit: For those unaware, Jerry Clower was a graduate and huge supporter of MSU. I loved his comedy and still do...

Last edited:
I still remember the 1996 SEC tournament game final against MSU. I was there and remember that Pitino refused to play Antoine Walker the last few minutes…very frustrating. And then, the 2010 SEC championship game against MSU was also a nail biter with the Cats pulling it out in OT….so there’s a history there…

It is bad enough that Kentucky leads the overall series 96-19.

But think about some of the crushing losses at their arena or in other big games. I was recalling the game in 2004 when Eric Daniels just grabbed an errant pass out of the air and scooped it in as the clock struck zero in the Hump.

And consider 2010: Two OT losses in one year. Kentucky beats a pretty good MSU team on the road in OT (the Cousins 'call me' game.) Then in the SEC Tourney final, with the Bulldogs NCAA tourney hopes in the balance, Kentucky pulls off the extremely rare intentional missed FT play with Cousins scoring at the buzzer to force OT, with the Cats then pulling away.

Even when the Cats had some bad or ordinary teams like 2021 and 2022, they won OT games against MSU, once there once in Rupp.

Then last night.

So many Lucy pulling the football moments for one group of fans to suffer at the hands of Kentucky. And it's a pretty rabid bunch. No wonder they seem to get louder and angrier and uglier every time the Cats play there.

Half the bars down there have cages. It’s like a scene from the Blues Brothers.

Last edited:
images

Edit: For those unaware, Jerry Clower was a graduate and huge supporter of MSU. I loved his comedy and still do...

He is not liked by the "Cajons" when he pretended to be one. Cajons don't like " Water Boy" but they like "Swamp Thing" !

He is not liked by the "Cajons" when he pretended to be one. Cajons don't like " Water Boy" but they like "Swamp Thing" !

If they still don't like him that is a long hate. He's been gone since 1997. He called himself a Christian entertainer. Worked in the Feed sales industry as well. (I listened to him religiously for a long while and do remember him talking about swamps and things of that nature but don't remember Cajun references. (I will take your word on it though...)

Reactions: jrm693
I don’t want a loud for loud sake crowd at Rupp, but that crowd at MSST was as loud as any crowd I’ve ever heard on TV. I know some of that has to do with arena setup and tv audio equipment/filtering, but DAMN.

Reactions: RunninRichie
One if the oddest stats is Cal is undefeated against MSU in the regular season and it includes several comebacks in Starkville and ass kickings in Lexington . Mississippi State hasn’t won a regular season game against UK since 2009. Cal’s lone loss to MSU came in the SEC tournament of the 9-16 year.

Reactions: RunninRichie
If they still don't like him that is a long hate. He's been gone since 1997. He called himself a Christian entertainer. Worked in the Feed sales industry as well. (I listened to him religiously for a long while and do remember him talking about swamps and things of that nature but don't remember Cajun references. (I will take your word on it though...)
My mom had a lot of his 8-tracks

Reactions: BBUK
His story about Babe Parelli at Kentucky chunking "three footballs" is classic

I remember Jarvis Vernado blocking what seemed like 25 shots back, it was more like 10, around 2008 or so.

Nobody in SEC history got away with more fouls while blocking shots than Varnardo. He would often grab the opposing player by the shoulder with his left hand, and propel himself to get the block with his right, and officials just let him do it. That game against UK was a criminal effort.

Nobody in SEC history got away with more fouls while blocking shots than Varnardo. He would often grab the opposing player by the shoulder with his left hand, and propel himself to get the block with his right, and officials just let him do it. That game against UK was a criminal effort.
Sometimes players get a reputation of being foul prone and they get called for stuff that other don't and sometimes they get the reputation of being a good defender/shot blocker and get away with stuff that others don't. He was one of the latter guys. Aaron Craft was another guy who could mug players and get by with it because he was perceived as a good defender.

Reactions: CELTICAT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT