ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Drew talks Mark Pope and Kentucky

If only there was a way to know for sure. Like endless coverage of recruiting events, etc of which be never attended. Makes total sense considering he wasn't going to land those guys anyway.

It's also exactly why it was extremely wise to hire ab3 to cover those bases and put us in the game right away.

Again....this is all out there on the interwebs. It was barely a secret Mitch tabbed him as next and all was good.

Then somehow he never took into account they might not want to move.
Grooming is an entirely different thing than having met the coach and him being high on your list if you need to hire someone. Grooming implies regular contact and mentoring. I don't think any of that took place or would be welcome by Baylor's AD. Mitch met Drew at the tournament a few years ago and got acquainted with him. He respected what he had done at Baylor so he was high on his list. There is nothing unusual about that. You'll have to show where on the interwebs it discusses our AD grooming him in any credible way.

You mean the very things I said? Feel free to counter my evidence with evidence in favor of your point.

I can't believe anyone refutes this point.
So, you can learn things from afar but Pope can't? He can't read about recruits. He can't pick up the phone. He can't watch video. He can't meet people. He knows nothing. He can only learn about recruits from going to venues. Other than that his mind is a blank slate. You can learn by reading but the former Rhodes Scholar candidate/Columbia P&S student can only learn one way.

Reactions: ukfan1622
So, you can learn things from afar but Pope can't? He can't read about recruits. He can't pick up the phone. He can't watch video. He can't meet people. He knows nothing. He can only learn about recruits from going to venues. Other than that his mind is a blank slate. You can learn by reading but the former Rhodes Scholar candidate/Columbia P&S student can only learn one way.

Ok you win. He was a recruiting guru who reeled in numerous high recruits.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Or maybe the school he was recruiting for had some extraordinary features that dampened its attractiveness to HS basketball players. Just spitballing here.

That has zero to do with it because his recruiting ability wasn't the issue. His lack of recruiting infrastructure and relationships were the issue.

You don't just show up on the scene and start high level recruiting. It's a long game and you have to know the relationships, handlers, and all the rest. Pope knew none of that which is why ab3 was the most crucial assistant hire. Hence my initial point.

Reactions: RunninRichie
That has zero to do with it because his recruiting ability wasn't the issue. His lack of recruiting infrastructure and relationships were the issue.

You don't just show up on the scene and start high level recruiting. It's a long game and you have to know the relationships, handlers, and all the rest. Pope knew none of that which is why ab3 was the most crucial assistant hire. Hence my initial point.

Showing up in a Kentucky shirt as the head coach does a lot when you’re “just showing up on the scene”

They weren't lined up for Tubby and BCG.
Tubby had some pretty decent classes, and landed some great players. Rondo, Crawford, Morris... three top 25 guys was a really good class. Liggins, Patterson, Prince, Miller, Bogans, Meeks, Jasper, Carruth, Hawkins, Parker, Camara, Allison, Legion

Based on what?

There’s no possible way you can say that with actual confidence. Could you be right eventually? Sure. But right now, no way.

Drew and his family seem like they would’ve hated the big spotlight here

Based on what?

There’s no possible way you can say that with actual confidence. Could you be right eventually? Sure. But right now, no way.
I had confidence saying that before the deal fell apart. He wasn’t a good fit for Kentucky

I mean the guy turned UK down, one of the reasons being his family was against moving to Lexington, so isnt that’s the very definition of him not being a good fit? I mean the guy literally didn’t come here because he didn’t think it was a good fit, what in the world more proof do you need? 😂

I mean the guy turned UK down, one of the reasons being his family was against moving to Lexington, so isnt that’s the very definition of him not being a good fit? I mean the guy literally didn’t come here because he didn’t think it was a good fit, what in the world more proof do you need? 😂

His family would have had a hard time adjusting, I agree with that. But he would have done fine here as a coach. He’s one of the best in the country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT