ADVERTISEMENT

Coen to interview for Buccaneers OC job

The other side of this is it’s great for UK to have NFL connections for our players around draft time. Player 1-“yeah someone from the Niners reached out”. Coen-“Let me call Joe in their back office and see what I can find out”.

Why doesn’t Liam tell BBN that he wants to stay or ****ing leave? I’m sick of reading about all of these interviews. You don’t interview if you are happy where you are.
You do if you think the next job is going to help move your career forward. I doubt being an OC at a mid-tier SEC team is Coen’s dream job. And even if he has no intentions of leaving, you still take the interview to build connections and use it as leverage for a raise in case they do offer it to you.

I still don’t get why so many people are upset that one of our coordinators is interested in moving their coaching career forward. It happens everywhere. Also, how the hell are any of us in a position to tell Coen (or any other of our coaches) what is best for their careers?

You do if you think the next job is going to help move your career forward. I doubt being an OC at a mid-tier SEC team is Coen’s dream job. And even if he has no intentions of leaving, you still take the interview to build connections and use it as leverage for a raise in case they do offer it to you.

I still don’t get why so many people are upset that one of our coordinators is interested in moving their coaching career forward. It happens everywhere. Also, how the hell are any of us in a position to tell Coen (or any other of our coaches) what is best for their careers?
Same old crap. If our coaches aren't out interviewing, it is because Stoops hired a bum. If they are out interviewing, it isn't because they are good and sought after. It is because they can't wait to get away from Stoops. The never happy crowd always has a song to sing.

Same old crap. If our coaches aren't out interviewing, it is because Stoops hired a bum. If they are out interviewing, it isn't because they are good and sought after. It is because they can't wait to get away from Stoops. The never happy crowd always has a song to sing.

If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all..... excessive misery....

Reactions: sefus12
If he's interviewing every week, then we don't need him. If you are a prospective recruit and you have committed to Kentucky, then see this every week, how can you trust this guy. If he's doing this, he is not going to be around long. While he is here, he needs to concentrate on THIS job, Kentucky is not good enough for him to be always open to going somewhere else. This is his second go around here, he needs to stop this shit.

Reactions: UKat1
If he's interviewing every week, then we don't need him. If you are a prospective recruit and you have committed to Kentucky, then see this every week, how can you trust this guy. If he's doing this, he is not going to be around long. While he is here, he needs to concentrate on THIS job, Kentucky is not good enough for him to be always open to going somewhere else. This is his second go around here, he needs to stop this shit.
Legit question.

Have you ever interviewed for a job while you were currently employed with another company?

The dichotomy I don’t get is people mad at Coen but not Stoops. I’m not mad at either of them about job searching it’s their life and profession. I care more about what they do while on the job here. But stoops has talked with schools several of the last few years he just hasn’t been anywhere up on the list until one guy at a&m liked him until it was all blown up by the trustees and everybody else at the university. To accept stoops and not Coen isn’t even logical

Not while I was happy and making good money, if you are ok with our OC position changing every two years or so, that's good, I don't think it's good for our program. I remember Dabo saying that he thought they were so successful during their run because they had continuity in their staff. What's he had 3 or 4 in a month?

Not while I was happy and making good money, if you are ok with our OC position changing every two years or so, that's good, I don't think it's good for our program. I remember Dabo saying that he thought they were so successful during their run because they had continuity in their staff. What's he had 3 or 4 in a month?
OCs change jobs all the time. It’s how they move up the proverbial ladder. And as 3632 said, I’m concerned about what he does here, not if he wants to interview for another position in the offseason.

I simply can’t understand how some of you are turning into jilted teenagers because other teams have interest in our coaches. As long as we are somewhat successful, it’s going to happen every year. Nature of the beast for positional coaches, coordinators, even HCs.

Reactions: Girthang
The dichotomy I don’t get is people mad at Coen but not Stoops. I’m not mad at either of them about job searching it’s their life and profession. I care more about what they do while on the job here. But stoops has talked with schools several of the last few years he just hasn’t been anywhere up on the list until one guy at a&m liked him until it was all blown up by the trustees and everybody else at the university. To accept stoops and not Coen isn’t even logical
I'm not mad at either one of them either, Stoops has been here a while now, if he wants to leave, he can go too, Coen is making a whole lot of money to be sniffing around for another job after being here for just year on his second time around. Stoops has been pretty loyal and been here a while, his looking around after this long is isn't bothersome as Coens is. Stoops can leave whenever he wants, he's been here long enough, I don't think to many people will care.

I think everyone would like to have continuity but the only way you get it is hire buddies down the chain that get very little interest outside. Stoops has certainly been making those hires. This environment the last 3 has taken a drastic step up towards nfl type activity. Do well as an OC and someone up the chain is paying you to leave and do mediocre for a year or two, in most places, and you’ll be gone because there isn’t time to wait to compete. There’s so much money at stake now…and head coaches are hiring and firing to save their own jobs sometimes just to change narrative or peddle hope for another year.

I'm not mad at either one of them either, Stoops has been here a while now, if he wants to leave, he can go too, Coen is making a whole lot of money to be sniffing around for another job after being here for just year on his second time around. Stoops has been pretty loyal and been here a while, his looking around after this long is isn't bothersome as Coens is. Stoops can leave whenever he wants, he's been here long enough, I don't think to many people will care.
Yeah I didn’t mean to imply that is you I just in general see people mad and then taking up for stoops like his situation is any more noble

Legit question.

Have you ever interviewed for a job while you were currently employed with another company?
Absolutely. An Exec early in my career told me to take an interview from another company. He said you never know when the next big opportunity was going to come, said you can’t catch the big one if you don’t have a line in the water.

Reactions: Girthang
OCs change jobs all the time. It’s how they move up the proverbial ladder. And as 3632 said, I’m concerned about what he does here, not if he wants to interview for another position in the offseason.

I simply can’t understand how some of you are turning into jilted teenagers because other teams have interest in our coaches. As long as we are somewhat successful, it’s going to happen every year. Nature of the beast for positional coaches, coordinators, even HCs.
Jilted teenagers, lol, proverbial ladder, Coen has already coached in the NFL, how much higher does the ladder go. I just don't think that's what Kentucky needs, we can be somewhat successful with an OC that stays several years too.

Legit question.

This is an argument I see on this board defending his actions and it just doesn't apply to his situation.

True that most people can apply for other jobs with no impact to the brand image or customer base of the company they want to leave. Plus those applications are in private and the prospective new employers know to not contact the current employer for that reason.

Coen is the same as a key high level producer for a professional company - like the best trial lawyer in a firm with the biggest client base. If that lawyer openly interviews with firms around the nation, that damages the current law firms brand and has the potential to significantly impact their client base.

Of course talks on those levels and in sports happen in private all the time; just not this publicly. It seems unprecedented to have a college OC so openly pursue/show interest in so many other jobs. Especially concerning considering he already left once after a year and left at a very inopportune time to hire a replacement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT