ADVERTISEMENT

Liam Coen staying with UK

If you're going to job shop, all parties understand it's done discreetly. There are feelers flying around all the time through one back channel or another. That certainly didn't happen here.

Once the news comes out, there are ways it gets handled. If you're just listening out of respect, there is a degree of media statement used to express that. If media wrongly ties you to jobs, there are denials. We see this stuff play out all the time.

Was coen actively pursuing all those jobs? Probably not all but surely most. think the reports were accurate enough he couldn't afford to speak on the one or two that weren't, because it just validated the other reports.

So yes there is more than ample deductive reasoning to point to him pursuing these jobs. The entire thing was poorly handled.

If he has a desire to be a head coach, college or NFL, a 3 year contract isn't going to deter him from climbing what he sees as an upgrade. But I don't think the news of him looking at an NFL position came from him, Sexton maybe but not Coen.

1. Pretty mis-leading title....Coen said nothing to the press nor did Stoops. We're quoting a 2025 recruit (not even next season player).
2. Good for UK...Looking forward to a year of Liam working in Vandagriff and the best TE/WR room at UK in Stoops era. Third year and older Key and Barion (even if he's shaky on deep balls still....he's a threat), Maclin replacing Tayvion...whatever Cotrell gives is a bonus. Dingle is a good receiving TE and Kattus is a solid hands (not a threat to do with his feet)...and I think Khamari Anderson could realistically be better then both of those TE next year. He moves so much better and is a body like no other.
3. Stoops should be looking fervently to replace Coen in 2025...I don't have confidence in Coen back for more than next year...but at this point in NIL/Portal bulljive....trusting coaches is not a whole let better sentiment.
Speaking of Brown and the deep threat ... the dude may be the fastest college player in pads. Why isn't he used like Jeff Badet was used? Seemed like Badet got open, wide open, a lot and Badet was fast, but Brown is fast on another level. His KO returns were just jaw-dropping fast. But Brown doesn't seem to get open on deep routes. Is it play design? or route running?

Reactions: Soupbean
Speaking of Brown and the deep threat ... the dude may be the fastest college player in pads. Why isn't he used like Jeff Badet was used? Seemed like Badet got open, wide open, a lot and Badet was fast, but Brown is fast on another level. His KO returns were just jaw-dropping fast. But Brown doesn't seem to get open on deep routes. Is it play design? or route running?
Route running.

He has trouble disguising what his route is also. He makes it easy on the DB. Hope he can get better with a new WR coach. And a QB that doesn't get the ball batted down or throws the ball late.

Brown is an atrocious route runner….he jogs half the time. Doesn’t lower his hips on his cuts eitx.

Surely rhe new Wr coach csn improve the details of Beiwn

Reactions: Lost In FL
Well he has hired Neal Brown, Shannon Dawson, Eddie Gran, Coen and Scangerello as OCs....So he's about 50/50 on getting it right is his history. It's not about Stoops intent...it's about his results is what the discussion is about.
I think CMS has his sights set on offensive coordinators with NFL experience now... Right?

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I think CMS has his sights set on offensive coordinators with NFL experience now... Right?
I guess.

But if this nfl scheme just lands us dudes who a) don’t want to be at college and want to get back to NFL or b) guys who don’t relate to college age kids….Scangerello….

What’s the point?

I think what any coach means is 'I'm here unless something really nice for me and my family comes along'.
As has been stated, guys like Venable at Clemson are men's tooth rare these days. Saban doesn't have a coaching tree cause guys stayed.

And yeah....I never read anywhere Coen calling a reporter to say he was interested in anything.

Lol....there have been several coaches I had WISHED somebody was interested in.

Deep threats are less about speed and more about breaking free at the line if you are in press coverage but obviously speed helps you get separation. That's one reason why most college teams play zone most of the time as zone tends to nullify these advantages.

RE Brown, his acceleration is elite and that's what causes coverage teams to misjudge and take bad angles and allows him to break off big returns. Acceleration is more important in the return game as opposed to top end speed.

Deep threats are less about speed and more about breaking free at the line if you are in press coverage but obviously speed helps you get separation. That's one reason why most college teams play zone most of the time as zone tends to nullify these advantages.

RE Brown, his acceleration is elite and that's what causes coverage teams to misjudge and take bad angles and allows him to break off big returns. Acceleration is more important in the return game as opposed to top end speed.
That “acceleration” should be a huge asset for him as a route runner also, but he hasn’t quite got to that point yet. I am extremely hopeful that the new WR coach can get more out of Barion as a more precise route runner by using his outstanding BURST. If he can get that down, he will be unstoppable!!

I vaguely remember way back in what may have been the Jerry Claiborne days, Not sure if Curry did it or not, but with two return guys back there, they would occasionally run a reverse where the guy receiving the ball would run one direction and hand the ball off to the other returner running the opposite way. would catch coverage teams off guard. Not sure if any resulted in TD's but I remember us always having a pretty strong return game back in those days, despite the rest of the team not being so great. Seems like a risk/reward type play, risk fumbling the exchange, but could really open up space on a return for a guy like Brown, especially if they are kicking away from him.

Reactions: Girthang
I vaguely remember way back in what may have been the Jerry Claiborne days, Not sure if Curry did it or not, but with two return guys back there, they would occasionally run a reverse where the guy receiving the ball would run one direction and hand the ball off to the other returner running the opposite way. would catch coverage teams off guard. Not sure if any resulted in TD's but I remember us always having a pretty strong return game back in those days, despite the rest of the team not being so great. Seems like a risk/reward type play, risk fumbling the exchange, but could really open up space on a return for a guy like Brown, especially if they are kicking away from him.
I think now days one of the returners would do nothing most of the time as punts are fair caught the majority of the time now.

Sounds like the first play of the game against USCjr a couple of years ago. That particular play turned out to be terrible and was a horrible start to the game.

I think now days one of the returners would do nothing most of the time as punts are fair caught the majority of the time now.
I was referring to kickoffs, I don't recall ever having two back on a punt. Brown wasn't the primary punt returner anyway. That was typically Tavion Robinson.

Sounds like the first play of the game against USCjr a couple of years ago. That particular play turned out to be terrible and was a horrible start to the game.
That was us trying to get cute with a backup QB in his first ever start right out of the chute. I'm talking about on a kickoff and yeah, it's something you'd have to practice the hell out of, and hope the kick is one that would allow it to play out smoothly.

Wondering if the Wolford hire was at the behest of Coen to recreate the staff from 2021. Maybe a little demand to keep him from looking around any further?

Last edited:
Coen's name being kicked around in Pittsburgh. Is he for sure staying?

For F sake. "kIcKeD aRoUnD!@#$%&"

Literally a nobody nothing blogger. Throwing shit on the internet for clicks.

Congrats on getting fooled by the Steelers version of Brian The Intern.

For F sake. "kIcKeD aRoUnD!@#$%&"

Literally a nobody nothing blogger. Throwing shit on the internet for clicks.

Congrats on getting fooled by the Steelers version of Brian The Intern.

I feel sorry for you man. Just making conversation on a.....conversation board. Maybe take a break from the internet for 2 weeks and then quit. You're far too angry (on a Friday night no less), and again, I feel sorry for you. I hope the rest of your life goes well.

Last edited:
Good for UK and I have no doubt it's really the result. Though at this point, it's almost embarrassing to even make an announcement considering he was seemingly pursuing every opening. Not sure it's as much a return as other teams' saying no thank you.

Look, he wasn't "pursuing every opening" at all. He was on lists. He was contacted. He interviewed once for sure. Doesn't mean he pursued it.

If people aren't aware yet, this is how connections are made and you advance in this profession. GMs ADs and HCs change jobs a lot. This is about the long term future for any coach.

You WANT his name being mentioned. It's a good thing. If no one is interested, people would be biching to fire him. Ffs people get a fkn grip. You can't be negative about every single frickin thing no matter which way things go.

Very simple, he's bad at running his routes. Speed is a gift but usually your best receivers aren't speedster, example Jerry Rice ran around 4.6, but ran outstanding routes, he wascan all time great.

Look, he wasn't "pursuing every opening" at all. He was on lists. He was contacted. He interviewed once for sure. Doesn't mean he pursued it.

If people aren't aware yet, this is how connections are made and you advance in this profession. GMs ADs and HCs change jobs a lot. This is about the long term future for any coach.

You WANT his name being mentioned. It's a good thing. If no one is interested, people would be biching to fire him. Ffs people get a fkn grip. You can't be negative about every single frickin thing no matter which way things go.

If he pursued the bears job, he was looking for most anything.

Yes we all know this goes on all the time. The point is it never happens this publicly. Usually all involved understand the value of discretion.

For example, stoops basically accepted the a&m job before anyone publicly knew he was even involved.

Does coen's public pursuit of jobs mean anything? Not sure. Can it effect things? Yes absolutely

Reactions: catben
If he pursued the bears job, he was looking for most anything.

Yes we all know this goes on all the time. The point is it never happens this publicly. Usually all involved understand the value of discretion.

For example, stoops basically accepted the a&m job before anyone publicly knew he was even involved.

Does coen's public pursuit of jobs mean anything? Not sure. Can it effect things? Yes absolutely

He didn't FKN PURSUE IT. They talked to him and he interviewed. Happens every flicking year with A LOT of coaching vacancies. Doesn't mean anyone is pursuing anything.

Wtf did everyone start to think talking to someone means you want a committed relationship? Lol. If someone has an opening, it's ok to listen. It's ok to talk. Whats so hard to understand about that?

YOU DONT KNOW that Stoops accepted anything. Produce a completed contract and that's a different story. If you don't have one, it's just bullsht someone is pushing.

He didn't FKN PURSUE IT. They talked to him and he interviewed. Happens every flicking year with A LOT of coaching vacancies. Doesn't mean anyone is pursuing anything.

Wtf did everyone start to think talking to someone means you want a committed relationship? Lol. If someone has an opening, it's ok to listen. It's ok to talk. Whats so hard to understand about that?

YOU DONT KNOW that Stoops accepted anything. Produce a completed contract and that's a different story. If you don't have one, it's just bullsht someone is pushing.

Of course we don't know for sure. But when a name is tied to so many open positions, there really can't be any other objective conclusion other than he's pursuing the positions. Otherwise all those teams just randomly put his name out there publicly as a guy on a list.

If it was just one job, I'd agree. However it's just too much coincidence

This is how it works in every profession. I was a Fortune 100 C-Suite Executive Search Consultant and I would meet with my top candidates a few times every year to discuss what they were doing and what opportunities I had or saw coming open in the future. I would send younger guys to interviews I knew they had zero chance or maybe zero desire for that role, but felt interviewing was a strategic positive. I suspect most of the people complaining about Coen's interview/s are ignorant of how white collar careers are planned/managed. The days of semi-lifetime employment are virtually unheard of and, if you are an exceptional talent, your employer knows you won't likely be there for long unless they figure out a way to pay more or provide a clear path up that is more attractive than other paths being offered.

Yeah that is a conundrum. He got targeted quite a bit down field but hardly ever got separation. Its like he needs to build up into his speed first and doesnt get that free run at it on routes. He needs to just go all forest gump and take off! Or we line him up 20 yards off the ball in the backfield and let him get his head of steam there Canadian style.

• Haha
Reactions: Lost In FL
Not real sure what the deal is. Coen gets a good salary and seems well thought of. His season at the Rams was poor....and with MacVey calling the offense along with injuries in all the prime spots perhaps he wants a chance to improve his NFL cred.

Can't help but think that constant unrest hurts recruiting AND retention.

If he can better himself and his family more power to him. I would think he would be swapping time away from home recruiting for as much or more time away from home as an NFL coordinator.

I don't know, just wish there was an end to this.
And it IS starting to get a tad deep in for Stoops to interview and hire his replacement.

I know it's frustrating and if he goes it puts CMS in a small bind with the timing. I can't imagine him being happy about it. He just showed he would show an assistant the door pretty quick.
I'll bet you anything he won't show Coen a door. The guy tried himself to leave. He gets how this works.

I'll bet you anything he won't show Coen a door. The guy tried himself to leave. He gets how this works.
Tried once after 11 years

What coen is doing is setting a Larry brown legacy and that’s putting it kindly. Best for him to leave asap if he hates it here

Coen is staying with UK(at least on a day-to-day basis) Will he make it to spring practice? How about the start of fall practice, first game?

Reactions: Coach Marrow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT