ADVERTISEMENT

Coen to interview for Buccaneers OC job

Assistant coaches who are looking to climb the ladder move around, every stop is another page to their resume and an opportunity to learn something new. UGA's OC wasn't looking to be a head coach, was the highest paid assistant in college, wasn't even required to go on the road recruiting often, got alone with Kirby, but just has that itch to move around every 2-3 years. I think at this stage of his career Coen is looking to climb that ladder and it has nothing to do with not liking being at UK or coaching with CMS, its his view that an NFL OC is a better resume builder than a college is. He isn't interviewing for every OC opening in college.

I am not so sure it's Coen leaking information about the interviews, isn't his agent Jimmy Sexton? That's one of his tactics to get his client's more thus getting himself more.

Reactions: childe and sefus12
I don't have a problem with Coen interviewing. It's his career, his money, his life. Do what you want and I won't hold a grudge. Go get yours.

What I have a problem with is that he told everyone he would be here longer this time around, and him interviewing makes it look like he's a liar. Why tell everyone that? I get that things change, but don't promise that if you don't intend on sticking to it. It could very well end up being truthful, but it is still a bad look.

Well, if I didn’t know better, I’d say that’s a man that doesn’t seem to want to be here… 🤔.
It is amazing how pro/college coaching is a high-paying profession that will provide you a paycheck while you spend time interviewing for other jobs. Just the way it is ...

Same old crap. If our coaches aren't out interviewing, it is because Stoops hired a bum. If they are out interviewing, it isn't because they are good and sought after. It is because they can't wait to get away from Stoops. The never happy crowd always has a song to sing.
BINGO, but some just want to bitch, must make them feel better.

Assistant coaches who are looking to climb the ladder move around, every stop is another page to their resume and an opportunity to learn something new. UGA's OC wasn't looking to be a head coach, was the highest paid assistant in college, wasn't even required to go on the road recruiting often, got alone with Kirby, but just has that itch to move around every 2-3 years. I think at this stage of his career Coen is looking to climb that ladder and it has nothing to do with not liking being at UK or coaching with CMS, its his view that an NFL OC is a better resume builder than a college is. He isn't interviewing for every OC opening in college.

I am not so sure it's Coen leaking information about the interviews, isn't his agent Jimmy Sexton? That's one of his tactics to get his client's more thus getting himself more.
I get your point, but Coen has been doing the two step on the ladder for the past 3 years. One step up ,then a step back, then a step up. Show something that gets attention ,do something that gets noticed. Maybe he feels he can't do that with Stoops(only answer that makes any sense and it doesn't make all that much)

The issue is not Stoops or Coen. The issue is the contract they signed. It is not strict enough in terms of interviewing for other jobs while under contract. And the buyout is not high enough that it discourages other teams from recruiting .

And speaking of recruiting. That Coen interviews right after promising a transfer or recruit that he will remain at UK is horribly wrong and a disaster for the long term stability of the program.

So in summary all of this is preventable if Barnhart did not allow it

Hey, I get it, all y'all running around like your hair is on fire over Coen. Nobody wants to see him go & we have yet another new OC again. You all want what's best for UK football winning.

I would just ask 1 calm, rational, reasonable question: has he actually """interviewed""" for all the other job openings he was mentioned with? Bears OC, Titans OC, Ohio OC? Hello? Was there ever actual permission asked by any of them to Stoops, and UK, to speak with their under contract employee?

I mean, I don't know, maybe some of y'all do know. Because maybe just maybe his name was thrown out there for a lot of positions, but actual interviews never even happened until now? So therefore the overreacting of FAARR HIM IMMEDIATELY DISLOYALTY!!!! isn't exactly based on reality?

That and nfl teams are fairly open about leaking out their lists and such

The issue is not Stoops or Coen. The issue is the contract they signed. It is not strict enough in terms of interviewing for other jobs while under contract. And the buyout is not high enough that it discourages other teams from recruiting .

And speaking of recruiting. That Coen interviews right after promising a transfer or recruit that he will remain at UK is horribly wrong and a disaster for the long term stability of the program.

So in summary all of this is preventable if Barnhart did not allow it

As a practical matter we would never be able to attract coaching talent with any such language.

I personally have no issue with him looking around because that goes on anyway. Just 1) calm it with the long-term talk because we all know that's nonsense and 2) just exercise discretion like everyone else.

Reactions: mrschwump
Perhaps Coen has spoken with Stoops and has more info than we do? Maybe he wants to move on to another position under his own terms rather than wait until next year and potentially have Stoops take another job and not take him along? Then he’s left scrambling?

I would just ask 1 calm, rational, reasonable question: has he actually """interviewed""" for all the other job openings he was mentioned with? Bears OC, Titans OC, Ohio OC? Hello? Was there ever actual permission asked by any of them to Stoops, and UK, to speak with their under contract employee?

I mean, I don't know, maybe some of y'all do know. Because maybe just maybe his name was thrown out there for a lot of positions, but actual interviews never even happened until now? So therefore the overreacting of FAARR HIM IMMEDIATELY DISLOYALTY!!!! isn't exactly based on reality?
If the reports are true, there was genuine interest by the Bears:

There also seems to be genuine interest by the Bucs too:

I've seen nothing that says he was ever seriously considered by the Titans, and the same thing goes for the Buckeyes. I also have zero doubt that he's very open with Stoops about interviewing, if he does in fact interview. No school is going to deny a coordinator or position coach to interview for other jobs...that would be suicide for trying to hire future coaches. I don't mind him interviewing, as it's part of the profession. I just wish it would wrap up so we can know how we are moving forward in 2024.

Reactions: sefus12 and catben
Not while I was happy and making good money, if you are ok with our OC position changing every two years or so, that's good, I don't think it's good for our program. I remember Dabo saying that he thought they were so successful during their run because they had continuity in their staff. What's he had 3 or 4 in a month?
The reality is if our OCs are good they probably are going to leave every 2 years or so. Especially if stoops keeps getting NFL guys

He can’t help his name getting out there and can anyone prove he’s actually interviewing? His name pops up for everything- is that his fault?

Reactions: CatPatrick13
The McVay influence is something else. Even someone who failed in one season under him is getting interviews way above his resume.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
He can’t help his name getting out there and can anyone prove he’s actually interviewing? His name pops up for everything- is that his fault?
Yeah that is my point as well

And what does "genuine interest by the Bears" really mean....if there never was an interview? If the interest wasn't mutual??

The McVay influence is something else. Even someone who failed in one season under him is getting interviews way above his resume.
he gets to sluff off that year because he didn’t call plays and stafford was hurt and out half the season.

Just because a guy gets an interview doesn't mean he gets an offer.
As of Thursday afternoon, six coaches has been interviewed for the Bucs OC position. Coen has not been interviewed yet.

Edit: per a report on ON3, Coen is scheduled to interview on Thursday.

Last edited:
You do if you think the next job is going to help move your career forward. I doubt being an OC at a mid-tier SEC team is Coen’s dream job. And even if he has no intentions of leaving, you still take the interview to build connections and use it as leverage for a raise in case they do offer it to you.

I still don’t get why so many people are upset that one of our coordinators is interested in moving their coaching career forward. It happens everywhere. Also, how the hell are any of us in a position to tell Coen (or any other of our coaches) what is best for their careers?
Well, my guess is there’s probably a lot that you ‘don’t get’, like folks having a right to their feelings and how they express them. No concern of yours, yet here you are judging. Here’s another opinion…are you ready…are you ready? Here’s something else for you to chime in on.
————
Seems like Liam's playing 'Interview
Roulette'-spinning the wheel of uncertainty and keeping everyone guessing. Is it an exit?
Is it a stay? The suspense is killing us!
Maybe he's going for a record in the 'most interviews without a clear answer' category.
Stay tuned for the next thrilling installment of 'Liam's Interview Saga!' How dare I🙏

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT