ADVERTISEMENT

Liam Coen staying with UK

1. Pretty mis-leading title....Coen said nothing to the press nor did Stoops. We're quoting a 2025 recruit (not even next season player).
2. Good for UK...Looking forward to a year of Liam working in Vandagriff and the best TE/WR room at UK in Stoops era. Third year and older Key and Barion (even if he's shaky on deep balls still....he's a threat), Maclin replacing Tayvion...whatever Cotrell gives is a bonus. Dingle is a good receiving TE and Kattus is a solid hands (not a threat to do with his feet)...and I think Khamari Anderson could realistically be better then both of those TE next year. He moves so much better and is a body like no other.
3. Stoops should be looking fervently to replace Coen in 2025...I don't have confidence in Coen back for more than next year...but at this point in NIL/Portal bulljive....trusting coaches is not a whole let better sentiment.

Last edited:
1. Pretty mis-leading title....Coen said nothing to the press nor did Stoops. We're quoting a 2025 recruit (not even next season player).
2. Good for UK...Looking forward to a year of Liam working in Vandagriff and the best TE/WR room at UK in Stoops era. Third year and older Key and Barion (even if he's shaky on deep balls still....he's a threat), Maclin replacing Tayvion...whatever Cotrell gives is a bonus. Dingle is a good receiving TE and Kattus is a solid hands (not a threat to do with his feet).
3. Stoops should be looking fervently to replace Coen in 2025...I don't have confidence in Coen back for more than next year...but at this point in NIL/Portal bulljive....trusting coaches is not a whole let better sentiment.
Point taken so we can at least hope the information provided is correct.

Love reading about somebody so grounded, and committed to the job at hand, as Coen.

No need to worry about wandering eyes with him.
Get thr yesr or 3 he is willing to hive and move on. UGA faced same thing with Monken., he took less money to go to NFL. But he has never been one to stay long in one place, Coen seems cut from the same cloth
G

Reactions: K_TIME
Good for UK and I have no doubt it's really the result. Though at this point, it's almost embarrassing to even make an announcement considering he was seemingly pursuing every opening. Not sure it's as much a return as other teams' saying no thank you.

Reactions: vhcat70
This is pretty much what we've established amongst ourselves.

Of course of Coen was going to leave he's not going to shout it from the rooftops until something is official.... This means absolutely nothing imo. .

I’m not sure what some of you think, but coaches, especially coordinators/position coaches, are constantly moving around trying to move up the proverbial ladder. If Coen wants to be a head coach, it makes sense for him to do whatever it takes to get there, and that includes listening to teams when they reach out to you about an opening.

And at the end of the day, these guys move jobs because they think it’s best for them/their career/their family. You or I are in no position to tell them what’s best for them.

I’m not sure what some of you think, but coaches, especially coordinators/position coaches, are constantly moving around trying to move up the proverbial ladder. If Coen wants to be a head coach, it makes sense for him to do whatever it takes to get there, and that includes listening to teams when they reach out to you about an opening.

And at the end of the day, these guys move jobs because they think it’s best for them/their career/their family. You or I are in no position to tell them what’s best for them.

Noone expects people to retire from their job here. Everyone expects someone like coen to be looking and keeping his options open. However we should also have the reasonable expectations

1) if he says he isn't leaving after one year, he isn't and 2) one "keeping their options open" while a college coach should at least attempt some discretion. It isn't like the NFL where it really makes no difference.

I think of coaching careers in terms of trends not absolutes. Right now Coen seems to be trending back towards staying with Kentucky for at least another year which for someone like him, is about all you can hope for.

Reactions: Davae9
Auburn this fall will have its 7th offensive coordinator in 7 yrs....5th DC in 5 yrs

Natl champ Michigan has had severe turnover in coordinators leading up to 2023

Those who think it is doomsday if Coen leaves imo just don't follow CFB and what goes on all over this sport. Some teams change coordinators and schemes yearly. Because these assistants move around yearly, getting promoted or fired.

Auburn this fall will have its 7th offensive coordinator in 7 yrs....5th DC in 5 yrs

Natl champ Michigan has had severe turnover in coordinators leading up to 2023

Those who think it is doomsday if Coen leaves imo just don't follow CFB and what goes on all over this sport. Some teams change coordinators and schemes yearly. Because these assistants move around yearly, getting promoted or fired.
You have a point...that this is more the norm in college football and assistants. But we're talking Stoops here....do you feel confident that he'll have a good offensive coordinator and scheme in place once Coen bails? I'd have to guess i'm 30% confident he'll make a good decision and put up a 30ish point per game offense the year after Coen leaves.

You have a point...that this is more the norm in college football and assistants. But we're talking Stoops here....do you feel confident that he'll have a good offensive coordinator and scheme in place once Coen bails? I'd have to guess i'm 30% confident he'll make a good decision and put up a 30ish point per game offense the year after Coen leaves.

He's exactly right, Look at the turnover Bama had with their coordinators during Saban's time there, even Kirby is on his 4th OC, and will be on his 4th DC as soon as the right offer comes for Schuman. Moving around is what they do.

For me, I'm not going to worry about that.....above my pay grade anyhow. Coen is on a 3 year contract of which he has 2 years left. We saw the last 2 games what Coen's O could look like. I'm going to sit back and see how the new pieces fit and I hope enjoy success. A lot can happen between now and then, let's hope we're getting to the place we're all looking for.

I don't think anyone disputes the fact talented people move around. The issue is they don't normally do publicly angle for so many jobs. It's all back channeled.

Of course it might get out here and there that some discussion was had or some other non committal language. But never anything like this. Not that I ever remember.

I don't think anyone disputes the fact talented people move around. The issue is they don't normally do publicly angle for so many jobs. It's all back channeled.

Of course it might get out here and there that some discussion was had or some other non committal language. But never anything like this. Not that I ever remember.

Do you think Coen announced he was looking at another job? I would be surprised if that info come from him. If his agent is Sexton he may have leaked it for more money, but I think it likely came from the NFL team.

That’s the thing. CFB now is musical chairs with coaches and players so every season is a start from scratch. There is no more ‘have to have system continuity’ etc. in fact, those who are most flexible, adaptable and innovative are more likely to be rewarded now. Which is a concern with stoops for me in respect to both sides of the ball in this era.

While we were getting obliterated by Georgia the announcers pointed out whether you can really try to run sophisticated offenses with complicated terminology these days in college because you get guys in on the portal that are expected to front line perform within months. There is very little ‘learn your freshman and sophomore years and be ready on the back end. Guys either transfer in or out before that.

How did he publicly angle for multiple jobs? I didn't hear a single comment from him about any of those job openings.

For me, I'm not going to worry about that.....above my pay grade anyhow. Coen is on a 3 year contract of which he has 2 years left. We saw the last 2 games what Coen's O could look like. I'm going to sit back and see how the new pieces fit and I hope enjoy success. A lot can happen between now and then, let's hope we're getting to the place we're all looking for.
Wait,, what? You getting paid here?😀

Do you think he’ll try and hire an OC/scheme that fails?

I always find it odd that people act like Stoops does things to make the team worse. He’s got a lot more on the line than any of us do when it comes to winning or losing.

There is a drastic difference between the KSR tweet below and Sea of Blue doing a headline that says, "Liam Coen says he is staying at Kentucky".

Not that much different.

When the #1 QB recruit that is still a year away from coming into the program says DEFINITIVELY that Coen told him he was staying, don't you think that is pretty significant? Especially when you consider that Coen has ties to the kids dad going way back.

Now, if Coen does leave, he has LIED to this kid and his family, that would be HUGE.

Reactions: Davae9
Any other UK assts getting looks? I'd think there must be some college interest in Chris Collins.

I always find it odd that people act like Stoops does things to make the team worse. He’s got a lot more on the line than any of us do when it comes to winning or losing.
I don’t think that anybody thinks he’s trying to screw it up. But he has. The offense has predominantly been inept in his 12 seasons. I can either believe in stoops getting it right on offense or I can believe in history. But I can’t believe in both. Do I hope he gets it right? Absolutely. Do I believe he will? Gotta see it before I believe.

Not that much different.

When the #1 QB recruit that is still a year away from coming into the program says DEFINITIVELY that Coen told him he was staying, don't you think that is pretty significant? Especially when you consider that Coen has ties to the kids dad going way back.

Now, if Coen does leave, he has LIED to this kid and his family, that would be HUGE.
I'm not downplaying that Saunders said he had that conversation with him. I'm just pointing out that there is a pretty big difference between Coen himself coming out and saying he's staying (which he has not done at all despite numerous rumors), which is what the Sea of Blue headline infers and a recruit saying in his conversation with Coen, he said he was coming back, which is what the KSR tweet infers.

Reactions: satcheluk
This means a little more coming from Saunders than another recruit. His family has known Coen for years. His dad is a coach.
All I was pointing out is there is a difference between Coen himself saying he will be back next year, which the Sea of Blue headline infers and Saunders saying Coen told him he was coming back, which the KSR tweet infers.

Well he has hired Neal Brown, Shannon Dawson, Eddie Gran, Coen and Scangerello as OCs....So he's about 50/50 on getting it right is his history. It's not about Stoops intent...it's about his results is what the discussion is about.

Do you think Coen announced he was looking at another job? I would be surprised if that info come from him. If his agent is Sexton he may have leaked it for more money, but I think it likely came from the NFL team.

How did he publicly angle for multiple jobs? I didn't hear a single comment from him about any of those job openings.

If you're going to job shop, all parties understand it's done discreetly. There are feelers flying around all the time through one back channel or another. That certainly didn't happen here.

Once the news comes out, there are ways it gets handled. If you're just listening out of respect, there is a degree of media statement used to express that. If media wrongly ties you to jobs, there are denials. We see this stuff play out all the time.

Was coen actively pursuing all those jobs? Probably not all but surely most. think the reports were accurate enough he couldn't afford to speak on the one or two that weren't, because it just validated the other reports.

So yes there is more than ample deductive reasoning to point to him pursuing these jobs. The entire thing was poorly handled.

Reactions: catben
Well he has hired Neal Brown, Shannon Dawson, Eddie Gran, Coen and Scangerello as OCs....So he's about 50/50 on getting it right is his history. It's not about Stoops intent...it's about his results is what the discussion is about.
it’s also that 2 of those guys were total flops in fit or whatever with stoops. I can’t imagine too many p5 coaches have a 1 yr coordinator on their resume much less 2 that were considered such a bad fit they had to go after a season. And a third, Gran, was relieved of his duties as well although I don’t really blame Gran that much that was a stoops sacrificial lamb ‘need to change narrative’ firing that came one season after giving him an extension and 50% raise.

All I was pointing out is there is a difference between Coen himself saying he will be back next year, which the Sea of Blue headline infers and Saunders saying Coen told him he was coming back, which the KSR tweet infers.
True. I would rather hear it straight from him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT