ADVERTISEMENT

Coen Getting Dragged on Twitter

Or “X”, or whatever the devil you kids call it nowadays.

2 questions: what did he tell Saunders to make him believe he would still be at UK, and what did he tell the future recruits he saw just 2-3 days ago...smells a lot like the OL coach his first go-around...not good

Reactions: tntvol and catben
2 questions: what did he tell Saunders to make him believe he would still be at UK, and what did he tell the future recruits he saw just 2-3 days ago...smells a lot like the OL coach his first go-around...not good
Hard to say. He could’ve been playing the lie game almost all coaches play including stoops when his move to A&M got botched and they did the ‘I can’t leave’ spin on it.

It also could’ve been that he told players ‘I’m not going to the bears I’m staying at UK’ and only the second half of that is latched onto and applied to all jobs

Reactions: mattrudd
Instead of being mad at Coen it should concern people more why he wanted to leave so bad. During the season he said in so many words that Stoops was holding him back, he couldn't call what he wanted. And it will be the same for whoever replaces him.

Wrong. He said no such thing and the product on display more than proved it was coen's show.

Yes we should absolutely be mad at coen.

It amazes me how much coen had a chunk of our fanbase fanboying him to the extent he was bulletproof

Here’s where he dropped the ball with me. If you’re gonna be short timer fine. I get that this is a business and I expect you to do for you and yours. But don’t say stuff like “I want to put down roots here” and stuff like that. That’s low brow. If you think you may be a job hopper then keep your mouth shut about your loyalty. I have no respect for that.

Here’s where he dropped the ball with me. If you’re gonna be short timer fine. I get that this is a business and I expect you to do for you and yours. But don’t say stuff like “I want to put down roots here” and stuff like that. That’s low brow. If you think you may be a job hopper then keep your mouth shut about your loyalty. I have no respect for that.
This is pretty much where I'm at. The dude lied his ass off to get a holdover job until he could get back into the league. He also bold faced lied to recruits. That puts their time here off on a bad foot.

On the other hand, I wonder what I would do if I thought my boss was going to bolt soon and I might be in a spot that I didn't want to be in, or have no job at all, or he might kill my future by intentionally holding me back.

idk. I'm more sad than mad. Until I know more about wtf happened behind the scenes I'm just gonna say that I don't wish him any success.

Instead of being mad at Coen it should concern people more why he wanted to leave so bad. During the season he said in so many words that Stoops was holding him back, he couldn't call what he wanted. And it will be the same for whoever replaces him.
I don't remember Coen saying anything remotely like that. If Coen had a problem with Stoops he never would have returned in the first place. Coen got an NFL coordinator job which is a step up the career latter. I don't like they way things went down, and neither do most but there is nothing nefarious here.

Yeah, me too! Hope the door don’t hit him where the good Lord split him on his way out.

8ej4vq.jpg

Not really sure why everyone has their panties in a wad about him leaving, coaches leave programs all the time and it’s a step up to a pro OC job. I remember when UK had coaches nobody wanted, and fans were saying “we have coaches no one wants the program is that bad”. Now UK has coaches that major programs and pros want and fans are bitching about that. It happens with all the programs, Alabama was a revolving door. It’s just the way it is now, and if players are looking at being in the pros, it happens all the time there. They just have to learn to adapt to new systems. The same goes with the portal and NIL, players go to new programs and have to adapt, that’s how it is in the pros as well.

Good for Coen, hopefully Stoops gets another quality OC, next up.

I got a rave endorsement from Condoleezza Rice to be the U.S. Ambassador to the Ottoman Empire.

I can make up stuff too. It's fun.

When did he say anything like that? Sources?

Reactions: Girthang

The guy is gonna say whatever sounds best wherever he lands.

I am surprised anyone believes anything that comes out of his mouth.

Adios 👋🏻

I'm wondering if Stoops not retaining Coen's friend Scott Woodward and maybe even possibly letting Yenser go was also a factor in the Coen drama. I fully believe that Stoops slowed Coen down on his playcalling all season to try and protect the defense. So I wonder if all that affected Coen's thought process. I mean I have no idea and no inside nothing. It was just something I was thinking about.

Reactions: sluggercatfan

Not really sure why everyone has their panties in a wad about him leaving, coaches leave programs all the time and it’s a step up to a pro OC job. I remember when UK had coaches nobody wanted, and fans were saying “we have coaches no one wants the program is that bad”. Now UK has coaches that major programs and pros want and fans are bitching about that. It happens with all the programs, Alabama was a revolving door. It’s just the way it is now, and if players are looking at being in the pros, it happens all the time there. They just have to learn to adapt to new systems. The same goes with the portal and NIL, players go to new programs and have to adapt, that’s how it is in the pros as well.

Good for Coen, hopefully Stoops gets another quality OC, next up.
Screw Coen. He lied when it wasn't necessary and he's put UK in a terrible position. He should have kept his damn mouth shut. I wish nothing but failure for him for that. He's been an OC for 3 seasons.

1st - he had a healthy Levis and had a very good season.

2nd - he stunk it up for the Rams.

3rd - On his evaluation we brought in Leary who was average at best and so was Coen.

I think, and really hope, that he has burned his bridges with college football. After he fails with the Bucs, with any justice, he can look at being a position coach and that's about it.

Once you get away from Louisville and Lexington, Kentuckians are very loyal and honest people. He may as well never step foot in the state again.

Last edited:
The only source is Kattie schizophrenia twisted brain

Hey morons, all y'all who say Stoops held Coen back - if he does go to Tampa, he will be working for indisputably the most conservative least risk taking head coach in the entire NFL.

The only source is Kattie schizophrenia twisted brain

Hey morons, all y'all who say Stoops held Coen back - if he does go to Tampa, he will be working for indisputably the most conservative least risk taking head coach in the entire NFL.
Love your takes man but don’t understand why you feel the need to talk to others by using the word moron, idiot, etc.

It’s too late in the year to find someone with spring practice right around the corner. We’re just going to put Gran back at the OC position since he’s already getting paid and on staff, maybe hire him a passing game coordinator, we’ll wing it from here, like we did for years on special teams, but hey, buy those season tix!

1. Except he never said as much that Stoops was holding him back.

2. Another fact is we threw 375 passes and rushed 339...so that alone is a 53% pass to 46% run ratio. Factor in Leary was sacked/rushed 42 times last year (I cant' remember many designed QB runs to be honest)...Then the pass to run ratio goes to 56% pass to 44% run. This higher passing isn't a Stoops precedent....so you can only surmise Coen indeed got to call the game he wanted essentially.

3. Maybe firing Woodard/Yenser was part of it....that was Coen's picks. But again, is that Stoops fault? Can you honestly say UK was better for Barion running the crappiest routes and drops galore? Don't get me started on how poor Yenser's OLines were.

The main rationale I can have for Coen is I truly think Stoops did essentially accept the Texas AM job and if the assistants balked at leaving with him....that could cause a rift....and I don't blame any assistant that wasn't on board with leaving. (if my boss left...I'd not feel like I have to uproot as well). But we'll never know the full story.

But the Coen clique on here is quite eye opening. He gets all the credit for 2021/Levis development (and Stoops got little/none), 2023 offense had issues...he picked Leary....and somehow Stoops was holding him back. I don't get that mindset.

Coen has had one successful year when he caught lightning in a bottle with Will, Wandale, a stacked OL and elite RB room. Im not certain he is the offensive savant he is being made out to be. The next OC could certainly be a better fit.

Been saying this for years now. Stoops ultimately controls what the offense is. If people out there still think otherwise, it’s because they just don’t want to see it.

Coen was always going to be eyeing the league. We all knew or should've known that from day 1.

Dude is an NFL coach. He was never going to long term it in CFB as an OC, or HC even.

CFB is a shit mess right now, and most coaches with connections to and ability to coach in the league are opting and will continue to opt for that route.

Specifically offensive/passing game guys, even more specifically, passing game guys from the Mcvay/Shanahan lineage.

LC was never going to stay put unless something record breaking was offered.

The league is the league. You're 1 of 32 if you can make it at any position.

I get that completely, but it sucks that we are gonna have install a new offense again. And he knew that when he came back, but business is business.

Reactions: Girthang
We have huge money to pony up. Coen's 2024 salary was among highest in CFB. Plus he or Tampa Bay will have to pay UK his contract buyout.

So no, it is most uncertainly not too late in the calendar to hire an OC off another staff. Or a HC from Akron. We should be able to get a good coach and not be limited by the date or by money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT