ADVERTISEMENT

Liam Coen: Now that the dust has settled and the emotions have died down, why do you think he wanted out so badly ?

All correct and to the point. And end of story.

Some people here are so anxious to tie it back into their false narratives of Stoops that they have conveniently ignored what Coen himself said.

Having given this some thought, I think it is an unexpected blessing for the program. Coen has some good qualities but is not the man for the job. Fool me twice, right? Coen brought us Woodward and Yenser. Enough. Hamdan has the right resume and seems like a winner. He has coached at a couple of SEC outlets plus the Falcons. Players like him. If he can recruit, we are better off now.
The two pluses that I've identified with Hamdan is first and most obvious he has much more experience working with college players than Coen. Coen had zero Div 1 collage experience when he came here in 2021. Second Hamdan is a very talented communicator which you can see from his interviews. To me that is the most important quality in a coach. You can be the smartest coach in the world but if you can't communicate your ideas, principals, goals, expectations to players you can't be effective. Coen was an average at best communicator IMO.

The two pluses that I've identified with Hamdan is first and most obvious he has much more experience working with college players than Coen. Coen had zero Div 1 collage experience when he came here in 2021. Second Hamdan is a very talented communicator which you can see from his interviews. To me that is the most important quality in a coach. You can be the smartest coach in the world but if you can't communicate your ideas, principals, goals, expectations to players you can't be effective. Coen was an average at best communicator IMO.
Can add Scang to that poor communicator smart coach list too.

Reactions: The-Hack
He ran from the pressure of having to connect with, develop and coach the offense with it changing every year. By all accounts the pressure got to him (which sucks because I have had anxiety attacks before and they are horrible). It will be interesting to see if he continues to push to be a head coach or settles in as a lifetime coordinator. If I had to put money on it right now I would say he will ultimately stay a coordinator for a long time.

By all accounts the pressure got to him
I suspect, like retired basketball coach Jay Wright has said, Coaching in coastal areas allows a lot more privacy for pro coaches, than does SEC sized college towns, even as large as Lexington.

When I heard about “the event” requiring his hospitalization, I worried that his wife and family would pressure him back to a setting they find more comforting, which to my rural mind is bizzare.

Still, most folk never feel more at home than the place you called home at the age of 12 years, even if in a massive metroplex.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Bingo. Ham stands out as a communicator and that is a MUST to be a successful coach and recruiter.

Also really impressed by his knowledge of the college game. If that translates to game day, this could be an exciting season for the offense.

Bingo. Ham stands out as a communicator and that is a MUST to be a successful coach and recruiter.
Not all, but VERY MANY of the OC’s who shine the brightest are youthful.

It isn’t a requirement of success, but an annual tendency.

Bush Hamdan is still young enough to suit up . . . or take the field in tennis shoes and a tee shirt and demonstrate what he wants.

Reactions: cathouse

Also really impressed by his knowledge of the college game. If that translates to game day, this could be an exciting season for the offense.
I do like what I am seeing and hearing about him.

Reactions: cathouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT