ADVERTISEMENT

Rumblings within the program

Tied for 5th??? You mean tied for 3rd and 1/2 game out of 2nd. MSU, LSU and A&M are tied for 5th my man.
bubba j participation trophy GIF

Why would you want the coach that just won the NC, to leave? Smh
You can shake your head all you want, but it’s not that complicated. Cal is getting older, the results haven’t been there, is his system sustainable these days- will the next crop of onds be up to task?

I also already said in this thread that many coaches stay around too long. The relationship between Cal and BBN has soured over time, a title would bring everyone back together. Cal would go out on a high note, basically his way. So yeah, Cal winning and riding off to the sunset sounds pretty good to me. If you differ that’s fine, but too many coaches stick around when it’s the perfect time to step away.

You can shake your head all you want, but it’s not that complicated. Cal is getting older, the results haven’t been there, is his system sustainable these days- will the next crop of onds be up to task?

I also already said in this thread that many coaches stay around too long. The relationship between Cal and BBN has soured over time, a title would bring everyone back together. Cal would go out on a high note, basically his way. So yeah, Cal winning and riding off to the sunset sounds pretty good to me. If you differ that’s fine, but too many coaches stick around when it’s the perfect time to step away.
No results? You said he’d won the NC. I’d love those results.

First of all I just want to say I’m not here to spread misinformation.

With that being said I was told late last night by a source close to the program that there are some rumblings within the program about Cal stepping away after this season.
Wow!! I didn’t even realize that UK had already caught up to UCLA in championships. Isn’t that what Calipari wanted to do before he retired?

Yeah look at Indiana. Honestly that is exactly what they want. They want Indiana kids to bring back the tradition. While they wait year after year.

Exactly.

The Hoosiers still think it’s 1977 and only Indiana boys who played Indiana high school basketball who know what it means to be Hoosier should be recruited and they won’t let go of Knight.

Some UK fans want every team to be the 92 team. That was a special team but the roster looked the way it did because of probation. Rick never built another team like it ojce we were off probation.

The game and recruiting landscape and rules have changed so drastically in the last 30 years that pining for a bygone era will be a major disappointment.

But this is the mediocrity Cal has taken the program into. Now we are just excited to make the NCAA and maybe if we are lucky the round of 32. Cal got lucky with AD in 2012 and blew a title with the most talented team in NCAA history in 2015. It has been downhill ever since
He blew it in 2010 too.

I have to be careful what I say. I've been sent a message that I'm not permitted to criticize the man anymore.

Reactions: ukjenning44
Exactly.

The Hoosiers still think it’s 1977 and only Indiana boys who played Indiana high school basketball who know what it means to be Hoosier should be recruited and they won’t let go of Knight.

Some UK fans want every team to be the 92 team. That was a special team but the roster looked the way it did because of probation. Rick never built another team like it ojce we were off probation.

The game and recruiting landscape and rules have changed so drastically in the last 30 years that pining for a bygone era will be a major disappointment.
Exactly, the 1992 team will never be repeated, the best kinda team we could hope to be like it would be like Sheppard returns x 2, Travis Perry returns, then we get Moreno, and Julius Edmonds. Then add a Top 3 player in the class. Maybe Quaintance can be a Mashburn level. I can’t think of that other kid who is highly rated from Kentucky. Get all them and they all turn out as good as Sheppard and that’s about best case scenario.

Problem is we have camps running these kids and dictating playing time, availability, etc.

Bleed blue would be my first choice.

Second choice is getting players who buy into the cause of dedicating 6 months from October to April to the pursuit of a championship.

Players who understand that financial success and NIL are a by-product of this pursuit.

The guys who only care about getting paid are not the guys I’m looking for if it’s my team. If that means missing out on some elite recruits, so be it.

Give me 3-4 year guys who will run through walls for BBN in pursuit of a title, and understand that they will be richly rewarded in many ways if they do that. To paraphrase Rupp, guys who aren’t smart enough to get that aren’t smart enough to play at Kentucky.
Reed is one and Perry is of a similar mindset.

Reactions: Aike
I can’t think of that other kid who is highly rated from Kentucky.
Trent Noah maybe? 13th region kid headed to South Carolina. Played AAU with Reed. 6’7” with great handle, shot making ability, & body control. Biggest thing is his physical strength. Already built like a college Sr.

But you know, he’s relatively new on the AAU scene and his team isn’t signed by the biggest shoe company or whatever the rankings need.

Reactions: Fox2monk
The guy fired for cheating or the guy fired for beating his wife.

That’s a big no from me, dawg

The "cheating" he got fired for was literally too many phone calls, and it was 20 years ago. Not even close to a rule now.

Bill Self ACTUALLY cheats (unlike Sampson), and is applauded around the basketball world.

Chris Beard- I agree is a piece of shit apparently if that story is true. But he is the best coach in the SEC for my money. Dude just turns teams/programs around seemingly without a sweat.

Trent Noah maybe? 13th region kid headed to South Carolina. Played AAU with Reed. 6’7” with great handle, shot making ability, & body control. Biggest thing is his physical strength. Already built like a college Sr.

But you know, he’s relatively new on the AAU scene and his team isn’t signed by the biggest shoe company or whatever the rankings need.
That may be him, I’m thinking his was class or 25 or maybe even 2026. Like a super high ranked kid.

Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone
The "cheating" he got fired for was literally too many phone calls, and it was 20 years ago. Not even close to a rule now.

Bill Self ACTUALLY cheats (unlike Sampson), and is applauded around the basketball world.

Chris Beard- I agree is a piece of shit apparently if that story is true. But he is the best coach in the SEC for my money. Dude just turns teams/programs around seemingly without a sweat.
Sampson is old. He’d be a bad hire based in that alone.

Chris Beard will never coach at Kentucky. If you think the fanbase is divided now….Dude wouldn’t make it 2 years

I hope not, everyone should be allowed to say what they want within reason. I think some go overboard in the criticism but as long as it’s nothing illegal or outright nasty or ridiculous I’m good with it.

Right. We're all just a big retarded happy family. Some are on their 30th account, but ya know, that's like when you go to the family reunion, and your cousin Benny is out on parole again. Maybe he had to change his name.

Tied for 5th??? You mean tied for 3rd and 1/2 game out of 2nd. MSU, LSU and A&M are tied for 5th my man.
You are correct but we have played the easiest part of schedule. 2 games against TN, a game with Bama, another one at Auburn. After those are played do you HONESTLY think this team will still be 1/2 game out of first place

• Wow
Reactions: cathouse
He probably should. Also, college basketball is broken. His replacement needs to be Kentucky focused and do his best to bring in guys who bleed blue. The mercenary nature of the game has crossed a tipping point, imo.
A team full of ky kids won't accomplish squat. We just now started producing a few high level players

Reactions: grevey35
So you are saying this freshman class isn't good?
Our current freshman class is vastly overrated. The 2 best players in the class come of the bench fir reasons only Cal can say. Bradshaw,and Edward's are busts,at least this year, Wagner is not as quick ,can't shoot well ,he basically can go to the basket with his right hand,that's it. Not exactly the guy BBN was told to expect

Exactly.

And for some Ky fans it's still 2012 or 2016. Unfortunately it's 2024 and Cal is doing nothing. How many more years do we go without conference titles and first weekend exits from NCAA do we have to suffer before people accept that Cals 1 and done model as well as his coaching philosophy NO LONGER WORKS HERE

Our current freshman class is vastly overrated. The 2 best players in the class come of the bench fir reasons only Cal can say. Bradshaw,and Edward's are busts,at least this year, Wagner is not as quick ,can't shoot well ,he basically can go to the basket with his right hand,that's it. Not exactly the guy BBN was told to expect
Edwards is a bust. Bradshaw has been lying what? Around a month? Not fair to call him a bust quite yet. Wagner has been inconsistent to be sure but he’s not a bad player.

Reed and Dilly are way better than expected. They come of the bench because they seem to like it. Reed has even said he doesn’t care. Now that being said, Reed may need to start considering this past weekend but we will see.

Z has played about a week so jury is still out there as well. The biggest disappointment is Edwards. Hands down.

Reactions: grevey35
Edwards is a bust. Bradshaw has been

lying what? Around a month? Not fair to call him a bust quite yet. Wagner has been inconsistent to be sure but he’s not a bad player.

Reed and Dilly are way better than expected. They come of the bench because they seem to like it. Reed has even said he doesn’t care. Now that being said, Reed may need to start considering this past weekend but we will see.

Z has played about a week so jury is still out there as well. The biggest disappointment is Edwards. Hands down.
I said Edward's and Bradshaw were busts this year. They both might become good players next year or the next of course we will never know because both will be gone after season like so many before them. They didn't come here to win a title they came seeing UK as a 1 year necessity before the hop to the NBA. The 1 and done no longer works,results on the court seem rather conclusive to me at least

Reactions: Catman100
Since 2015 what has the current model of kid accomplished. In last 5 years or so 1 NCAA win. Last year we were4th in SEC. I'm not saying we would be better trying to recruit the very best players in the state but we wouldn't be much worse either
Yes we would
5 years or so is wrong
Our 2020 team was very good and won the league outright looking at a 2 seed. Not to mention we shot 82% from the free throw line that season.
2022 was a top 10 team with national player of the year, sure we lost the first game of tournament though.
2024 is looking like it's another good season because we have guards that can score the ball.

Those aren't horrible seasons.

And for some Ky fans it's still 2012 or 2016. Unfortunately it's 2024 and Cal is doing nothing. How many more years do we go without conference titles and first weekend exits from NCAA do we have to suffer before people accept that Cals 1 and done model as well as his coaching philosophy NO LONGER WORKS HERE
If anything the college game is going more than direction. Nil and players demanding money. The college game of old is gone

If anything the college game is going more than direction. Nil and players demanding money. The college game of old is gone
Yet the usual suspects MINUS UK, seem to be doing quite well in the tourney. Last 2 won by KU and Uconn. Duke,UNC in final 4. UK has 1 win in tourney in that time

Yes we would
5 years or so is wrong
Our 2020 team was very good and won the league outright looking at a 2 seed. Not to mention we shot 82% from the free throw line that season.
2022 was a top 10 team with national player of the year, sure we lost the first game of tournament though.
2024 is looking like it's another good season because we have guards that can score the ball.

Those aren't horrible seasons.
The 2020 team had a good season. I might point out that that team also had its 4 best players as sophomores so it was really not the 1 and done Cal craves. Not sure where you get a 2 seed in NCAA for that club since the tourney wasn't even played. You also might be the first person I know that classifies 2022 as a good season .need something besides a 2nd game loss to TN in SEC tourney and a loss to 15th seed St. Tomato can in the first game of the NCAA tourney, to label a season a success

Reactions: Catman100
The 2020 team had a good season. I might point out that that team also had its 4 best players as sophomores so it was really not the 1 and done Cal craves. Not sure where you get a 2 seed in NCAA for that club since the tourney wasn't even played. You also might be the first person I know that classifies 2022 as a good season .need something besides a 2nd game loss to TN in SEC tourney and a loss to 15th seed St. Tomato can in the first game of the NCAA tourney, to label a season a success
I didn't say they got a 2 seed. I said they were looking at a 2 seed. They were. Tyrese Maxey was a freshman. We haven't had a one n done team in years. We've had 1 or 2 leave as one n dones most every season.
In 2022 weren't we the top 2 seed? Id say being a top 5/6 team all season qualifies as a pretty good year.

You are correct but we have played the easiest part of schedule. 2 games against TN, a game with Bama, another one at Auburn. After those are played do you HONESTLY think this team will still be 1/2 game out of first place
Depends on how we play, I can still see us challenging for the title.

Well when I say walking away I don’t mean he just leaves all the money on the table. Something would be worked out if he ultimately does decide to step away.
Who did your source close to the program tell you was going to pay the work-out money to get Calipari to walk away?

He probably should. Also, college basketball is broken. His replacement needs to be Kentucky focused and do his best to bring in guys who bleed blue. The mercenary nature of the game has crossed a tipping point, imo.
I couldn't agree more-particularly about the sport.

Reactions: Aike
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT