ADVERTISEMENT

Chatter within

full

Cal will not quit. He might opt to take the special assistant position, but I doubt that too. If so who tf would work here and put up with his constant interference?

There is also no way to fire him in the current budget. Mitch spends almost everything he makes. Now if the Crafts etal. were to step up then maybe they could get rid of him and pay another coach. Not even sure Mitch would allow that as it puts him in their debt.

The next question is, do you trust Mitch to make the hire. Take a look at his past history. Billy Clyde and Joker. His asinine contracts. Idk man. His hand was forced to take Cal in the first place or he wouldn't have even made that move.
Billy was actually considered a bang up hire at the time, and would’ve been considered for the Kansas job had self gone to the NBA, which he was flirting with at that time. The Billy G hire wasn’t bad at all on paper, at least at that time. Sometimes, hires don’t work. Scott Frost was considered a slam dunk at Nebraska after big-time success at central Florida, and fell flat. The list goes on and on.

If they fire him they have to buy him out. If he goes elsewhere he will still be owed partial money.

Unless Cal retires and says I’m done, UK is gonna take a wallet hit.
I just re read Cal's contract. After this season, if he is fired WITHOUT cause,he would be owed $33,375,000. If he were fired WITH cause (gross negligence, etc) he would not have to be paid. Same thing if he were to leave to go somewhere else..not paid anything. If they buy him out, it doesn't have to be paid in one lump sum. That can be negotiated.

You know Stackhouse smells blood in the water. He sucks but he's gonna throw everything he's got at Cal. I mean its a bad Vandy team but things feel so rocky right now nothing would shock me sadly.

Man if we drop that game in Vandy next Cal shouldn't be allowed back in the state.
Cal’s dropped two straight to Stackhouse. I’m predicting it will be 3 after Tuesday.

Last edited:
The problem is by the time it’s all said and done UK is looking to spend around 45 million to ax Cal, ax Mitch and hire a new coach. That’s a lot of damn money. We aren’t A&M.
I posted before I finished my thought. You need to reread it now 😃

at the end of the day, no one knows what Cal is going to do

Suppose this team, which so many people believed was capable of being a title contender, falls off a cliff and wipes out in March. In that case, Cal will come face to face regularly with the confederacy of the miserable who will not hesitate to let him know they are angry.

Its going to show in his life every day. Lexington is a small town. Living in isolation in it will make it seem much smaller

I suspect that he won't be holding out for the full amount once he decides its over.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Got lucky? That team beat the crap out of Houston and Gonzaga to win the title.

Made elite eights in 2010/2012.

Would have gone far in Tourney in 19-20.

Biggest thing is: He can do so much more at UK than Baylor. What he has done at Baylor... A small private school in Waco Texas with very little NIL is likely the best rebuild in sports history.

Would still take Oats over him but give me a break with the hate for Scott Drew.

in 21 seasons at Baylor, he has been to the NCAA tournament 11 times, with 9 seasons not going to the tournament.

In 21 seasons, he has made it past the 2nd round 5 times.

Five. Times. In 21 seasons.

THAT is really a hire you would support?

Good! The email I sent to Barnhart and Capilouto yesterday at 10:07 am wasn’t totally in vain.
I knew we were going to get thumped last night.
There is no chance they are actually reading those emails.

I once had a former University President tell me (not UK) that he two assistants go through his email throughout the day. They would weed out emails he should read and those he shouldn't. He only read the emails that is assistants flagged for him. His email box was set up to where he wouldn't even see any emails in his inbox list that wasn't flagged by his staff. Only his assistants saw everything.

I once had a former University President tell me (not UK) that he two assistants go through his email throughout the day. They would weed out emails he should read and those he shouldn't. He only read the emails that is assistants flagged for him. His email box was set up to where he wouldn't even see any emails in his inbox list that wasn't flagged by his staff. Only his assistants saw everything.
I don’t care! It’s good therapy to vent through writing sometimes 😃

Reactions: kywildcat41086
in 21 seasons at Baylor, he has been to the NCAA tournament 11 times, with 9 seasons not going to the tournament.

In 21 seasons, he has made it past the 2nd round 5 times.

Five. Times. In 21 seasons.

THAT is really a hire you would support?

Drew is garbage and has a bad name in the coaching cirlces. He'll never get one sniff here, nor should he.

This.

You’re not gonna find a 90s UK Pitino.
You’re not gonna find a early mid 2000s Cal
You’re not gonna find an Adolph Rupp.
You’re not gonna find a Coach K.

Those are once in a lifetime dudes. We’ve just lucked out having damn good coaches over the years. Same with UConn.

You just have to find a guy that’s good on court, hungry, and isn’t a complete PR nightmare off court.
lol well we did find them before. We can find a great coach again.

Cal won’t be “fired”.
No he would take a settlement to retire resign whatever step away. People can’t get outside the box to see it’s obvious cal doesn’t want to be here anymore. It’s evident in everything he does. He may not realize it himself but I think he does already. Last year he was almost gone

I don't believe UK could get someone like UCONN's Dan Hurley who's recently had success at UCONN and seems to be a red hot commodity.

He coached his first ten years and only had two of his teams get past the NCAA round of 32.

UCONN hired him with a previous record at two stops (Wagner/ Rhode Island) of 151-105/ 59%. He followed up the Kevin Ollie/ UCONN debacle of having two seasons vacated.

And last year his UCONN team finished fourth in the Big East, lost in the Big East semi-finals, went into the tournament as a 4th seed in the West and obliterated all six teams (seeds 13/ 5/ 8/ 3/ 5/ 5) they played!!

Sometimes, it just comes down to luck and timing and not necessarily coaching talent.

I know Mitch Barnhart responded directly to the "voice" of Dynasty Defenders, a man's name who escapes me at the moment, during the Tubby kerfuffle, and he was pretty salty about it.

I guess it depends on how much impact you can have on their daily life in determining whether they respond or not. Attempting to take out an add in the Kentucky Kernel put him on Mitch's radar

• Haha
Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
lol well we did find them before. We can find a great coach again.
Those were legends. The sport has changed.

Not saying we won’t find a great one. But if we’re looking to find exactly those types of guys we’re going to be disappointed.

Look at Duke. Schyer is “ok” but he’s obviously not K. Replacing dudes like that is extremely hard to do.

The rumor has been around for a few years that Drew is at the top of Mitch's list because he goes to the same church.
If our fanbase is worth a crap led by our UK media Barney shouldn’t be anywhere near the next coaching hire. The guy is the Eddie gran of athletic directors. Total deer in the headlights

I posted a week ago about there was chatter about Cal being gone from UK next season, well a little update from my source today…..

Tensions are very high within the program, Mitch and Cal both have met today. Not sure what exactly was said, but it does seem like this is the end.

All I know is there is a 98% chance Cal is not at UK next season. Whether they buy him out, fire him, or he could go coach elsewhere.

No offense, but if I had a dime for every 98% guarantee made on Rupp Rafters, I'd be a very rich person.

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
I know Mitch Barnhart responded directly to the "voice" of Dynasty Defenders, a man's name who escapes me at the moment, during the Tubby kerfuffle, and he was pretty salty about it.

I guess it depends on how much impact you can have on their daily life in determining whether they respond or not. Attempting to take out an add in the Kentucky Kernel put him on Mitch's radar
It’s a crap ton easier to filter email now than back then as well. Soooo much easier. There are MaaS programs than can quarantine and reject based on word use. It could be filter so it never even got to the assistants, much less Mitch.

Umass beat the ‘96 UK team early in the yr that season , then barely lost in the 1996 final four to them ….both on neutral courts
With a generational player in Camby, 28 years ago.

As I recall, UMass was also left with probation when Calipari jumped to the Nets and embarrassed himself in the league with his lack of coaching skills.

Rinse and repeat in Memphis and here we are nearly three decades later at another set of crossroads.

How gullible are you? Do you really believe some random poster has info no one else has access to and then puts it on this website?
No one trusted enough with this would be blabbing it all over the place.
LOL , Probably the least gullible person you would ever meet. I’m frequently told I’m too cynical. I don’t believe it either, I’m just playing devils advocate, lol .

Reactions: BBNinSC
It’s a crap ton easier to filter email now than back then as well. Soooo much easier. There are MaaS programs than can quarantine and reject based on word use. It could be filter so it never even got to the assistants, much less Mitch.
maybe

but that doesn't mean he had to respond. He could have ignored it.

He chose not to

He wanted that confrontation.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I posted a week ago about there was chatter about Cal being gone from UK next season, well a little update from my source today…..

Tensions are very high within the program, Mitch and Cal both have met today. Not sure what exactly was said, but it does seem like this is the end.

All I know is there is a 98% chance Cal is not at UK next season. Whether they buy him out, fire him, or he could go coach elsewhere.
I don’t believe for one second Cal and Mitch met today. That isn’t Mitch’s style especially when dealing with Cal who he has a non relationship. Cal also isn’t being fired nor is his contract being bought out. I guess he could coach somewhere next year but who is a going to pay him near what he makes at UK. Your “source” is about as credible as Bigfoot.

Last edited:
if there is a coaching search in the near future

find a coach that took a team he built to a final four

end of evaluation. No one else is qualified.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I am amused by these coaching discussions . People argue about the job like UK is the job of where it was 10 years ago instead of where it is NOW. I don't give 2 shits who we hire as long as it's someone different than Cal. Some of fans are delusional with your picks. Hurley isn't coming here,Donavan turned us down 3 times ,he ain't coming,nor is the guy from Arizona. People arguing against guys like Oats and Drew are crazy. Compared to what's happening now I would take either right now,honestly I'm not sure either would come. This job isn't what it was ,Cal has seen to that,regardless I am at the ANYBODY but Cal stage

Those were legends. The sport has changed.

Not saying we won’t find a great one. But if we’re looking to find exactly those types of guys we’re going to be disappointed.

Look at Duke. Schyer is “ok” but he’s obviously not K. Replacing dudes like that is extremely hard to do.
How about one that just puts UK basketball first. That would be cool.

Again, ZERO chance Barnhart would force a meeting in the middle of a 15-6 season. NONE. No A.D. would be so ignorant as to put a coach on his heels in the middle of the season and mess with his head so he couldn't do his job. You're throwing out bad info. That's fine if you want to do that, but good grief.
I definitely don’t believe Barnhart met with Cal . And agree it would be highly unlikely to happen during the season unless there something major going on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT