ADVERTISEMENT

Rumblings within the program

I felt this was shaping up to be his last season

but then he got serious about recruiting again.

so I'm 50/50 now. Fans make fun of Klutch's influence on the program, but I bet Cal never imagined a world where he would experience a Shaedon Sharpe situation, and a team where 6 or more of his guys are making 6 figure income.

Its taken out Roy Williams, Coach K, Boeheim and a few others

I’m not siding with the OP, although I hope he’s correct, but keep in mind depending on things that may or may not have happened yet, he probably has a 25% chance of being right even without any source, and I’m going to be one of the few who won’t have to come back and eat some road kill.

Some are acting like he’s saying this during the 2015 season, but Cal has the baggage and the time put in to leave at the end of any of the next few seasons.

You are correct but we have played the easiest part of schedule. 2 games against TN, a game with Bama, another one at Auburn. After those are played do you HONESTLY think this team will still be 1/2 game out of first place
I do not. I think they will be in first place.

I’m on the hope he stays side but if he does indeed leave, can we get someone besides Mitch to hire the replacement. It’s not gonna be fun if he picks them

All this talk about irrelevant sec standings in January. All that matters is who is first in March.

UK and Cal need to win something that matters for first time since 2020. SEC is way tougher now but we shouldn't go 4 straight seasons without winning it.

Reactions: TankedCat
I do not expect anyone to believe me and that’s fine. But I also was told Adou was returning (which he did) and there was a change coming to the starting 5 ( which there was) I posted both on here. Take this for what you want
Did your source also tell you that it's more likely to snow in the winter than the summer?

Yes we would
5 years or so is wrong
Our 2020 team was very good and won the league outright looking at a 2 seed. Not to mention we shot 82% from the free throw line that season.
2022 was a top 10 team with national player of the year, sure we lost the first game of tournament though.
2024 is looking like it's another good season because we have guards that can score the ball.

Those aren't horrible seasons.
The 2020 team had a good season. I might point out that that team also had its 4 best players as sophomores so it wasnt really the 1 and done Cal craves. Not sure where you get a 2 seed in NCAA for that club since the tourney wasn't even played. You also might be the first person I know that classifies 2022 as a good season .need something besides a 2nd game loss to TN in SEC tourney and a loss to 15th seed St. Tomato can in the first game of the NCAA tourney, to label it a success

Last edited:
Reactions: crestcat
You also might be the first person I know that classifies 2022 as a good season
2022 was a good season with a very disappointing finish. You can't judge a season solely on the result of a single elimination tournament. When that team was at its peak it was a great team. When it ran Kansas out of its own gym this board was ecstatic.

Injuries took their toll down the stretch and Grady could barely walk by the end of the year. If that doesn't happen we're looking at a much different finish to that season.

So he steps away and Barnhart continues to pay him? Sounds about right.
I bet old Mitch is already looking for the next BCG that he can hire cheap so he can continue to pay Cal.

Starting salary. $500 per game with a case of Bud Light or Boones Farm. Your choice, sir.

Not that I think any of this is happening this year but I do think when it is time for Cal to step down, it will be a sudden thing. I just for some reason don't see him say announcing it at the beginning of a season that it would be his last. I see the season ending then a few days later him retiring.

Also when cal does quit I fully expect him to go the Coach K route and announce before the season so he can get the full media tour and get to do all the other stuff he wants

He blew it in 2010 too.

I have to be careful what I say. I've been sent a message that I'm not permitted to criticize the man anymore.
Can you still criticize his coaching?

yeah, which is why I said I hope he wins it and rides off. I’m ready for the Cal era to end, but I hope he goes off on a high note. Not that complicated
you know what's better than one high note? Two high notes. How anybody would want a freshly crowned champion to immediately leave is beyond me. you don't squander momentum. If he can't win after winning a ship then ok. but damn. I think it's just your fantasy that he wins a ship and rides off into the sunset only to be replaced by a stud coach who takes us right back. But that is likely a fantasy. In reality, winning number 9 is the ultimate goal. the man who wins that title should be applauded. Not put out to pasture.

you know what's better than one high note? Two high notes. How anybody would want a freshly crowned champion to immediately leave is beyond me. you don't squander momentum.

As a Napoli soccer fan whose team won the title last season only for their coach to leave this season and it's been nothing but disaster I agree with this LOL.

Reactions: Rockfly78
you know what's better than one high note? Two high notes. How anybody would want a freshly crowned champion to immediately leave is beyond me. you don't squander momentum. If he can't win after winning a ship then ok. but damn. I think it's just your fantasy that he wins a ship and rides off into the sunset only to be replaced by a stud coach who takes us right back. But that is likely a fantasy. In reality, winning number 9 is the ultimate goal. the man who wins that title should be applauded. Not put out to pasture.
Well of course it’s my fantasy, just like it’s your fantasy he’d win it and go on another run. I also didn’t say anything about the next coach winning right away. There’s no guarantee he wins and keeps momentum, won a title in 12 and went to the NIT the following year. Just like there’s no guarantee in what I said, we’re all basically bullshitting here.

Where are you getting put out to pasture, from riding off into the sunset? It would be his call, and would bring a sense of relief from Cal to the fans. He would go out on the highest note possible. Frankly I’m tired of Cal, but don’t want another coach that has a rocky relationship with BBN. Winning a title and leaving on that note does not sound bad to me.

Maybe Cal wins another title and goes on a tear, maybe Cal wins another title and then produces results we’ve seen the last three years. The man is getting older, but I would like to see him go out on top with one more title.

Well of course it’s my fantasy, just like it’s your fantasy he’d win it and go on another run. I also didn’t say anything about the next coach winning right away. There’s no guarantee he wins and keeps momentum, won a title in 12 and went to the NIT the following year. Just like there’s no guarantee in what I said, we’re all basically bullshitting here.

Where are you getting put out to pasture, from riding off into the sunset? It would be his call, and would bring a sense of relief from Cal to the fans. He would go out on the highest note possible. Frankly I’m tired of Cal, but don’t want another coach that has a rocky relationship with BBN. Winning a title and leaving on that note does not sound bad to me.

Maybe Cal wins another title and goes on a tear, maybe Cal wins another title and then produces results we’ve seen the last three years. The man is getting older, but I would like to see him go out on top with one more title.
You are right about one thing, we are bullshitting. But I want to WIN. period. I don't care if it's cal who's the coach or my lesbian neighbor's crossfit coach. Who cares? Just win. If someone can bring us a natty then by god you are damn right I want them to stick around a few more months to try to do it again. Because unlike the next guy, I know they can do it.

Reactions: RunninRichie
You are right about one thing, we are bullshitting. But I want to WIN. period. I don't care if it's cal who's the coach or my lesbian neighbor's crossfit coach. Who cares? Just win. If someone can bring us a natty then by god you are damn right I want them to stick around a few more months to try to do it again. Because unlike the next guy, I know they can do it.
We’re pretty much saying the same thing, win it this year. Just differ on the future after it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT