ADVERTISEMENT

Andy Beshear - Not a fan of Science

This is easy: classrooms don't always have good ventilation and you are breathing collective air for like 50-60 minutes. Contrast that to other industry where there is more spacing or interpersonal interactions are MUCH more limited and/or shorter in terms of time. Some schools have had to quarantine like 100+ kids due to one case for this reason.

My bigger complaint on how all this has been handled is requiring teachers to do two jobs at once. You want to open schools? Fine with me, but you need to hire more teachers to reduce class sizes and then teachers to handle virtual sections. However, if one were to ask for money for these things this is the response.................

Silence.

You are wrong. The data does not back up your argument.

Quarantining a kid isn't as bad as closing.

There is science to backup that events, restaurants and bars accelerate the spread.

Perhaps....but you won't have science telling you this when the restaurants are at 50% capacity, temps taken, masks worn, seating spaced, etc. There is NO PROOF that the restaurant situation in KY the last few months contributed to any type of acceleration. NONE. This was an easy target for the dolt in Frankfort, nothing more.

Again this post was not about the restaurant and bars data. This is about education. Please stick to that.

There is real debate on weddings, church, events, bars and restaurants.

There is no debate on schools.

Italy for example, is doing all they can to keep middle and elementary schools open.

France is keeping all schools open.

England is approaching full lockdown, but they are keeping schools open.

Want more data?

Do you have school age kids?

This is easy: classrooms don't always have good ventilation and you are breathing collective air for like 50-60 minutes. Contrast that to other industry where there is more spacing or interpersonal interactions are MUCH more limited and/or shorter in terms of time. Some schools have had to quarantine like 100+ kids due to one case for this reason.

My bigger complaint on how all this has been handled is requiring teachers to do two jobs at once. You want to open schools? Fine with me, but you need to hire more teachers to reduce class sizes and then teachers to handle virtual sections. However, if one were to ask for money for these things this is the response.................

Silence.
There's so much dumb shit I don't even know where to start with this one. For f*cks sake.

Let's see:
1. The thought that teachers are some how in closer proximity to other people longer than every other essential industry is just ignorant and untrue. I'm not even going to waste my time listing the countless examples. Just assume everything in your life this very second affording you comfort, electric, food, heat, transportation, internet, starbucks, depends on low income individuals without any of the considerations.

2. Be easier to hire emergency teachers without the stupid archaic unions.

3. Like I said, every industry and business is facing equal or greater issues woth developing policy, safety protocols, acquiring ppe and sanitation, working around health guidelines, and spending a shit ton to do it. Why? Because they go out of business if they don't. If teachers don't they get paid to sit at home. So piss off with the woe is me bs. They created this issue.

4. More money? Umm they just crammed a 9% tax hike through in Louisville a few weeks ago that should hold you over for a bit. Nowhere has our overlord said anything about needing funding to make schools safe.

If we're being honest, and you did this, not me. I was trying to stay cordial. Teachers on the whole are very niave group and out of touch with real world issues. Mainly because they're protected by dumb government rules and on top of that a government union. See their arguments about pensions and then this unsubstantiated nonsense you've been rambling about. They're short on teachers because dumb retirement rules and gaming pensions allowed nearly 20% to bail when this happened. In March, when things were actually terrifying, all essential workers were told to either report to work and suck it up or no pay but not teachers.

There are risks, yes, but they're no greater than any other industry. This is proven. I can post 10+ articles on it right now. They're catching heat because in an effort to bitch about their safety they're putting at risk kids in real danger and our kids are falling behind. Meanwhile, these kids parents are pissed because they've been getting up and carrying a lunch pale to work everday. Why a teacher hasn't been considered essential is ridiculous bordering a civil rights crime.

The reason we're not in school is because unions are making power plays and democrats couldn't afford to piss them off in an election year. Also, Trump supported schools and rather than doing what's right democrats maliciously took the stance anything orange man says is bad.

What a selfish, uninformed, and shallow take, but not surprising from this group.

Last edited:
If there is a need for teachers to continue with virtual, that means there is a student demand for virtual, therefore a natural reduction of students for in person...meaning extra teachers argument is pretty bad.

Also, a virtual classroom can basically be infinite in its number of viewers....one teacher could do a whole district grade of online instruction, especially in the younger ages where curriculum is similar.

problem solving skills of academia is either really poor or they just didn’t try.

PS: Andy just pulled out $40M from his rainy day federal CARES act fund...you could ask him why more wasn’t spent for in person learning....answer is probably that teachers unions didn’t want to.

Andy was asked point blank if he had data to show these areas were causing infections. He said no. We have nearly 1000 contact tracers. After months of data, still no mention of stats to support this.

Yesterday afternoon he released a video talking about a magazine article were it says bars and restaurants are a problem. So I guess that's as close as he has to anything scientific.

It's really unbelievable

It was there just not caught by testing. It wasn't just hiding under the desks at school.
I love how a few weeks ago he announced some restrictions and flat out said he was doing it because, according to a New York Times poll, 70% of Kentuckians supported lockdown measures.

Are we living in ****ing clown world?!?!?!

But deaths haven't 🤔

EXACTLY!!!!

Here are the current survival rates in Kentucky...
0-9...............99.9828% (1 out of 5800)
10-19............99.9938% (1 out of 16100)
20-29...........99.9929% (2 out of 27900)
30-39...........99.9434% (12 out of 21200)
40-49...........99.8524% (31 out of 21000)
50-59...........99.515% (97 out of 20000)

That pretty much covers most of all the teachers and support staff of any school. The total over all of those age ranges...99.8715% (144 out of 112000) for ages 0-59.

Throw in 60-69...98.3228% (265 out of 15800) and the overall number is still at 99.6799%.

49.416% of all deaths come from people 80+ (846 of 1712)!!! This demographic, maybe with the exception of the 0-9 range, is out in public less than any other.

This takes into account nothing regarding co-morbidities, number of deaths in LTCFs or the CDC estimate that only 6-10% (or something along those lines) of all deaths are actually FROM covid and not just someone dying WITH covid. It also takes into account NOTHING regarding the timing of these deaths. CLEARLY the majority of the deaths happened at the onset of this whole ordeal and given treatments and knowledge the number has dropped dramatically.

Now check out the flu from 2019 (not KY, but nationwide)...
Cases - 35.5 MILLION
Doctor vistis - 16.5 MILLION
Hospitalizations - 490,600
Deaths - 34,200

This is WITH a vaccine. Yet, NOTHING was done. Nothing was shut down, people weren't running around wearing masks and schools most certainly didn't shut down and the flu affects school age children far more than covid. Since 2010, the deaths from flu have ranged from 9000 to 61000 with as many as 45 MILLION people being diagnosed with the flu. Imagine if we tested everyone that had a slight fever or came within earshot of someone with the flu and all their relatives and friends they'd been in contact with over the last 14 days and we tested them and all the people they'd been in contact with (i think you were that's going).

At what point did we cross from let's don't do anything and just live our lives with sick people and people that didn't want to get sick just staying at home to shutdown the freaking world to control something that isn't controllable? The real answer, IMO, I won't get into here. We can just stick with the numbers, which are available to EVERYONE, including King Andy, and not pulled from some magazine article he read on the toilet.

Now, if you think shutting down everything is warranted based on this, I guess you'll never change your mind, but clearly there is NOT a need for a shutdown and certainly not a need to close the schools.

There's so much dumb shit I don't even know where to start with this one. For f*cks sake.

Let's see:
1. The thought that teachers are some how in closer proximity to other people longer than every other essential industry is just ignorant and untrue. I'm not even going to waste my time listing the countless examples. Just assume everything in your life this very second affording you comfort, electric, food, heat, transportation, internet, starbucks, depends on low income individuals without any of the considerations.

2. Be easier to hire emergency teachers without the stupid archaic unions.

3. Like I said, every industry and business is facing equal or greater issues woth developing policy, safety protocols, acquiring ppe and sanitation, working around health guidelines, and spending a shit ton to do it. Why? Because they go out of business if they don't. If teachers don't they get paid to sit at home. So piss off with the woe is me bs. They created this issue.

4. More money? Umm they just crammed a 9% tax hike through in Louisville a few weeks ago that should hold you over for a bit. Nowhere has our overlord said anything about needing funding to make schools safe.

If we're being honest, and you did this, not me. I was trying to stay cordial. Teachers on the whole are very niave group and out of touch with real world issues. Mainly because they're protected by dumb government rules and on top of that a government union. See their arguments about pensions and then this unsubstantiated nonsense you've been rambling about. There are risks, yes, but they're no greater than any other industry. This is proven. I can post 10+ articles on it right now. They're catching heat because in an effort to bitch about their safety they're putting at risk kids in real danger and our kids are falling behind. Meanwhile, these kids parents are pissed because they've been getting up and carrying a lunch pale to work everday. Why a teacher hasn't been considered essential is ridiculous bordering a civil rights crime.

The reason we're not in school is because unions are making power plays and democrats couldn't afford to piss them off in an election year. Also, Trump supported schools and rather than doing what's right democrats maliciously took the stance anything orange man says is bad.

What a selfish, uninformed, and shallow take, but not surprising from this group.

Like x1000000000000

Reactions: anthonys735
I do. They need to be in school.
Same. Mine was enrolled in local public and in July we saw the writing on the wall. Thankfully we're fortunate enough to be able to put him in private for a year. After this shit sandwich we may just keep him there even though that's never been the plan. I want my kid where they care about children first.

Having school aged kids makes me want them in school even more. I'm very blessed to be able to work from home AND have 2 girls that are very good in school (both straight A students). I see what kind of work they do all day. First day of the new 100% virtual schooling and my 4th grader was done by 10a on the day she would've normally been in school all day. My 10th grader had 2 of 6 teachers have a Zoom class. The others sent links to videos.

And someone actually believes they need to be given more money? How about my kids get some of that for teaching themselves?!?!

Also, I don't want to step on all teachers. I know a TON of teachers and for the most part, they all want to go back in-person. They know what kind of effect it has on them not being in class, especially the less fortunate financially and those that aren't the best students.

According to the surveys in Fayette, Jeff, Kenton Ctys, 80%+ want their kids in schools. Our schools survey last week was 88% in favor of in person even with increased cases.

Also the reopen schools thread is similar ratio.

Reactions: 80 Proof and kyeric
So.:. You want your kid at school?

What difference does it make?

I want what's best for society. And most of the developed world agrees that kids need to be in school and that school does not accelerate the spread of coronavirus in the community. There is overwhelming evidence supporting this. It's linked throughout this thread.

Reactions: kyeric
According to the surveys in Fayette, Jeff, Kenton Ctys, 80%+ want their kids in schools. Our schools survey last week was 88% in favor of in person even with increased cases.

Also the reopen schools thread is similar ratio.

Of course they do. And 99% of humans wish they could go back to their lives.

And I get OP campaigning to reopen them.

But being an administrator right now is a tough position. I don’t blame them for it.

But being an administrator right now is a tough position. I don’t blame them for it.

95% of school administrators across the state decided to reopen. Things were going well in schools. There was not evidence of accelerated spread in schools despite serious upticks in communities.

Schools were deciding to close the week after thanksgiving to give time to those cases originated from gatherings to be identified. Schools were doing a great job of policing and managing themselves. They did not need the governor's order.

Last edited:
These lockdowns, crushing business, crushing the children....this is one rare thing that I believe most people can agree with - we need common sense measures that are proven to work. We have ruined lives young and old based on nonsense, not "science", and it should stop.

What irritates me the most is there is no real discussion or pushback against Andy from the people. Of course legislature is not in session, but I think it'd be very naive to expect them to do anything more than political saber rattling.

I love how a few weeks ago he announced some restrictions and flat out said he was doing it because, according to a New York Times poll, 70% of Kentuckians supported lockdown measures.

Are we living in ****ing clown world?!?!?!

And he took that from the ksr poll done the day before. It's laughable

• Haha
Reactions: CB3UK
You keep saying that but it’s not true. A lot of schools are locked down worldwide.

Western Europe, who is having as hard of a time as us in terms of new cases right now is having school. There are some exceptions. I think Italy has sent High schools home, but the rest of western Europe is in School. England and France, who are virtually shut down right now have continued in person school. Most of the rest of western Europe is fully open with a few exceptions. And again, per capita, their #'s are far worse than KY's. But that's not the reason we should stay open. The reason is the data and science. that's why they're staying open. It's why we should too.

An excerpt from an article...

BERLIN — When Chancellor Angela Merkel announced the latest round of restrictions on public life, she named bars, restaurants, theaters, concert halls, gyms and tattoo parlors as institutions that would be forced to close. But missing from the list released on Wednesday were schools and day care centers — among the first to be shuttered in the spring lockdown.

In France, President Emmanuel Macron also said on Wednesday that schools would be exempt from wide-reaching nationwide restrictions that are to take effect beginning Friday. Ireland also allowed schools to remain open despite a nationwide lockdown that went into effect earlier this month.

Not everyone is happy with the decisions, but policymakers are taking extra precautions to reduce the risk in schools, from mask requirements for teachers and pupils, to regular airing of classrooms, to split use of schoolyards during breaks. They say they are applying hard-learned lessons from months of fighting the pandemic, and are prepared to change directions if things take a turn for the worse.

Reactions: kyeric and 80 Proof

I blame them. They sat on their asses all summer doing nothing, then ran around like chickens with their heads cut off when it was time to reopen after summer.

This year is hard on all of us. Sitting at home complaining while you suck on the government titty and cashing your paychecks isn't going to convince some kid's parent that just lost his business that you are having a hard time.

Public unions are an affront to taxpayers.

I blame them. They sat on their asses all summer doing nothing, then ran around like chickens with their heads cut off when it was time to reopen after summer.

This year is hard on all of us. Sitting at home complaining while you suck on the government titty and cashing your paychecks isn't going to convince some kid's parent that just lost his business that you are having a hard time.

Public unions are an affront to taxpayers.

Technically, the administrators aren't the rank and file KEA.

The administrators I've talked to today are all pissed off. Again, that's not Fayette and Jefferson. But most that I know if, if not all, are pissed about the gov's decision. It hasn't been easy, but they've worked their asses off and have done a good job. Only to get shit on and blamed for something that isn't their fault.

I'm dedicating this to the vast majority of opinions in here and to everyone I've run into all damn day that wanted to tell me all about immunology.
tenor.gif

Reactions: chroix
Technically, the administrators aren't the rank and file KEA.

The administrators I've talked to today are all pissed off. Again, that's not Fayette and Jefferson. But most that I know if, if not all, are pissed about the gov's decision. It hasn't been easy, but they've worked their asses off and have done a good job. Only to get shit on and blamed for something that isn't their fault.
Andy Beshear is 100% their fault

I'm dedicating this to the vast majority of opinions in here and to everyone I've run into all damn day that wanted to tell me all about immunology.
tenor.gif

I haven't seen anybody in here claim to be an expert about the virus. Simply citing credible sources and data. At least those who are in favor of following the data and science that says schools should stay open.

EXACTLY!!!!

Here are the current survival rates in Kentucky...
0-9...............99.9828% (1 out of 5800)
10-19............99.9938% (1 out of 16100)
20-29...........99.9929% (2 out of 27900)
30-39...........99.9434% (12 out of 21200)
40-49...........99.8524% (31 out of 21000)
50-59...........99.515% (97 out of 20000)

That pretty much covers most of all the teachers and support staff of any school. The total over all of those age ranges...99.8715% (144 out of 112000) for ages 0-59.

Throw in 60-69...98.3228% (265 out of 15800) and the overall number is still at 99.6799%.

49.416% of all deaths come from people 80+ (846 of 1712)!!! This demographic, maybe with the exception of the 0-9 range, is out in public less than any other.

This takes into account nothing regarding co-morbidities, number of deaths in LTCFs or the CDC estimate that only 6-10% (or something along those lines) of all deaths are actually FROM covid and not just someone dying WITH covid. It also takes into account NOTHING regarding the timing of these deaths. CLEARLY the majority of the deaths happened at the onset of this whole ordeal and given treatments and knowledge the number has dropped dramatically.

Now check out the flu from 2019 (not KY, but nationwide)...
Cases - 35.5 MILLION
Doctor vistis - 16.5 MILLION
Hospitalizations - 490,600
Deaths - 34,200

This is WITH a vaccine. Yet, NOTHING was done. Nothing was shut down, people weren't running around wearing masks and schools most certainly didn't shut down and the flu affects school age children far more than covid. Since 2010, the deaths from flu have ranged from 9000 to 61000 with as many as 45 MILLION people being diagnosed with the flu. Imagine if we tested everyone that had a slight fever or came within earshot of someone with the flu and all their relatives and friends they'd been in contact with over the last 14 days and we tested them and all the people they'd been in contact with (i think you were that's going).

At what point did we cross from let's don't do anything and just live our lives with sick people and people that didn't want to get sick just staying at home to shutdown the freaking world to control something that isn't controllable? The real answer, IMO, I won't get into here. We can just stick with the numbers, which are available to EVERYONE, including King Andy, and not pulled from some magazine article he read on the toilet.

Now, if you think shutting down everything is warranted based on this, I guess you'll never change your mind, but clearly there is NOT a need for a shutdown and certainly not a need to close the schools.
tenor.gif

Reactions: cole854 and kyeric
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT