ADVERTISEMENT

We owe Tubby and apology

Whats Cals? Letting 5 star players hijack and distract the team? Losing in elite 8s with the best talent in the country over and over. Let’s be real here. Players first has wounded our program in a major way. The players have been tended to but the program is a ship with no captain
And you are a fan with no basketball knowledge

I made this post 4 years ago (March 23, 2018) when I first thought we were trending in the wrong direction:

It's going to be interesting in how the next couple of years shake out. This is Cal's worst 3 year run in post season since 02/03 - 04/05 at Memphis. He spoiled the hell out of us in his first 6 years here, there is no doubt about that.

If we have a similar season next year to this year, he would be not far off from Tubby's last four years here.
Tubby was 99-36 / 45-19 with a trip to the Elite Eight.
Cal would be 111-37 / 49-23 with a trip to the Elite Eight.
I remember that post specifically. Hard to believe, as much as I’ve had going on. Thought it was a great thread then and still do.

Reactions: bthaunert
Whose fault is it tubby didn't get good recruits to the university of Kentucky?

If tubby recruited better he would have won more.

And people keep cherry picking years. Cal has 4 final fours to tubbys 1, and I believe tubbys only recruit in 98 was saul Smith.
And Tubby does not have the worst season in UK history, yes UK history, he does not 1 or 2 NIT's and I do not think he ever missed the dance. So what is your point.

I don't think anyone owes Tubby an apology

I think its more about what our standards were as fans with Tubby versus the lowered expectations of Cal.

Cal's 2010-2015 run was amazing, on par with Pitino revitalizing the program , that said, Cal is milking that run for all its worth along with this idea that great recruiting without results meets some standard among fans who cling to hope that the tumblers will align and the team will go on a tear.

In some ways that 2014 team set the stage for every Cal excuse because every team since has the ability in some fans eyes to flip a switch and play to the full potential of their NBA draft selection, regardless of what has happened during the season.

Its why we have this ridiculous mentality that November/December doesn't matter (heck, lets throw in January too) why a #1 or #2 seed doesn't matter. That Cal's team turn it on in March and run over everyone, yet their performance lately is on par with Tubby which was not acceptable during his time here. And we give Cal so much rope - horrible home games in Rupp to get the team ready , marginalizing records and traditions that were once foundational to UK in importance - all to support this now mythical idea that UK will turn it on in March.

One team set the stage to throw out all historical data and cling to the idea that all you need is a great recruiting class.

Last edited:
No tubby deserves us treating cal the way we did him. Meaning do better or get the fan base pressuring him to leave. It’s sad just the illusion of talent with recruiting might be having some forgive cal more than tubbty but results should be the beginning and end of what matters here.

part of it is that so many see who we recruited and get their hopes up just for year after year cal showing he’ll eff it up. Holding on to that hope the cal from the first 6 years will return but he won’t. The game changed and he refuses to change with it

Tubby was asked to get better assistants. He wouldn't do it and bolted out the side door in the middle of the night to a school that didn't have any rules against him enriching his kids.

I remember towards the end him saying that he thought a 20 win season was a good thing?

Owe him an apology? Hell no.

If we go stone cold in the first or second round and get rocked right out of the tournament, people around here will lose their marbles.

Reactions: kl40504
The difference seems to be that we went from being the hunters to being the quarry

Tubby was asked to get better assistants. He wouldn't do it and bolted out the side door in the middle of the night to a school that didn't have any rules against him enriching his kids.

I remember towards the end him saying that he thought a 20 win season was a good thing?

Owe him an apology? Hell no.
I do seem to recall the 20 win season statement. His replacement of assistants was probably the catalyst to leave but I also remember that his move to Minnesota was actually being negotiated as far back as December. Mitch was saying then an 8 seed in the tourney was not acceptable for the Kentucky program, now imagine an NIT or not even making the NIT.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kywildcat41086
Whose fault is it tubby didn't get good recruits to the university of Kentucky?

If tubby recruited better he would have won more.

And people keep cherry picking years. Cal has 4 final fours to tubbys 1, and I believe tubbys only recruit in 98 was saul Smith.
I love, Tubby, but this is spot on.

Sorry....ain't buying we weren't good because of limited practice due to covid.....EVERY OTHER TEAM HAD TO DEAL WITH COVID
Sorry, but this is a stupid take. Last year UK had multiple freshmen starting. Baylor's starters last year had been on the team a collective 12 years before the season started. All 5 were on the team the previous year. To act like they were affected in the same way as a bunch of freshmen who had never played together before is just plain stupid. 4 of UK's players with the most starts were freshmen, and the 2 upper classmen, Saar and Mintz, were transfers who didn't redshirt at UK. So *literally* none of the top 6 starters had ever played together. And none of them came in with experience in Cal's system.

All the blue-blood teams filled with OADs were similarly affected. Teams filled with veterans coming back not so much.

Last edited:
is Cal responsible for having 9 freshman or new players on the team? yup!
That's the nature of being a blue blood. You either get as many 5-stars as possible, or get criticized for not being a good recruiter.

I guess you're saying he shouldn't have recruited Quickley or Maxey - should have brought in some 4-stars instead so they wouldn't leave early.

Last edited:
That's the nature of being a blue blood. You either get as many 5-stars as possible, or get criticized for not being a good recruiter.
no criticism .....if you win. if you recruit 9 two stars and win, no one's complaining.
recruit 9 five stars and lose....well Cal is responsible for the roster.

I guess you're saying he shouldn't have recruited Quickley or Maxey - should have brought in some 4-stars instead so they wouldn't leave early.
I'm saying he shouldn't let the program be dependent solely on 18 year old unproven high school players.
and a 17 year old talent deficient pg. run the team.

Reactions: TankedCat
I went through Tubbys last six years at UK compared to Cal`s past six years. Tubby actually has 4 more wins and 6 less losses in that time span than Cal, and with a heck of alot less talent (at least on paper). Granite Covid was a factor last year and the year before. Cal having such a young team last year, having more practice time would have made that team better. I am not wanting Cal gone or anything like that as I have enjoyed alot of his teams and certainly have not given up on this team. I live in Louisville and have argued with many idiot Card fans that Cal was alot better coach than he was given credit. However as time goes by they may be more correct through their hatred than I am in my defense. He arguable should have three Titles here and definitely let one go at Memphis. His half court offense is middle school level bad. Ghost screens up top, to try to get a paint touch for a lob or a kick out three. If we dont get a bucket in transition against good teams we struggle to score. They clog the paint, double down on Oscar, face guard Kellen , and dare Wheeler to shoot. If Ty is off we are beat against a very good team. I fear as much as I love this team we are a sweet 16, elite 8 at best. Cal handled the Shaedon Sharpe thing horribly and this kid will never play a second for us... and he doesn't care! He gets his 9 millions a year , flaps his mouth about how stupid all of us are, and we just dont get it.

Again I am not for him leaving because as we saw with Gillespie and Sutton it can get ALOT worse. While Cal seems to bring his teams around defensively most years, and this team has good numbers offensively we really are not efficient in the half court and that is going to beat us against the very well coached teams once we get to the final 16 elite 8 level.

Maybe I am over reacting a bit, but we all (including me) wanted to run Tubby out on a rail (the national media made it about race but that was not it), we want a winner and Cal in the past six years has proven that perhaps his days are over....

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?
You make a great argument for his departure.....but NOW not LATER. Is 7 bad years not enough for you to decide.

I went through Tubbys last six years at UK compared to Cal`s past six years. Tubby actually has 4 more wins and 6 less losses in that time span than Cal, and with a heck of alot less talent (at least on paper). Granite Covid was a factor last year and the year before. Cal having such a young team last year, having more practice time would have made that team better. I am not wanting Cal gone or anything like that as I have enjoyed alot of his teams and certainly have not given up on this team. I live in Louisville and have argued with many idiot Card fans that Cal was alot better coach than he was given credit. However as time goes by they may be more correct through their hatred than I am in my defense. He arguable should have three Titles here and definitely let one go at Memphis. His half court offense is middle school level bad. Ghost screens up top, to try to get a paint touch for a lob or a kick out three. If we dont get a bucket in transition against good teams we struggle to score. They clog the paint, double down on Oscar, face guard Kellen , and dare Wheeler to shoot. If Ty is off we are beat against a very good team. I fear as much as I love this team we are a sweet 16, elite 8 at best. Cal handled the Shaedon Sharpe thing horribly and this kid will never play a second for us... and he doesn't care! He gets his 9 millions a year , flaps his mouth about how stupid all of us are, and we just dont get it.

Again I am not for him leaving because as we saw with Gillespie and Sutton it can get ALOT worse. While Cal seems to bring his teams around defensively most years, and this team has good numbers offensively we really are not efficient in the half court and that is going to beat us against the very well coached teams once we get to the final 16 elite 8 level.

Maybe I am over reacting a bit, but we all (including me) wanted to run Tubby out on a rail (the national media made it about race but that was not it), we want a winner and Cal in the past six years has proven that perhaps his days are over....

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?
Why’d you pick the last 6 years? The problem with Tubby was after the title the frustration levels built up not making it back to the final four. In addition to seeing the future of no recruiting, year after year. So nothing potentially great on the horizon.

By Tubby’s last 6 years some fans were already over it, by his last 2 years most fans were. The problem wasn’t Tubbys last 6 seasons themselves, it was the overall picture built by the seasons preceding these

We'll see how the next few weeks go. If Cal can pull off a Final 4, then this whole argument needs to go away, along with the "Cal hasn't won in 6 years".

It works both ways, if people can quickly disregard the 2011, 2012, and 2014 seasons.. then we can do the same with 2018, 2020, etc.. IF Cal can get this Final 4.

Fact is that the shine comes off that trophy after you win it these days. Coaches that rely first on coaching, may not lose that focus, but the ones banking almost all of their effort on recruiting might not know how to repeat

why cant you all just read the entire thing in context instead of picking out one isolated phrase. I was attempting to be fair to him for last years team....
1) Because of the title
2) Because it is too long - make the point quicker
3) You then didn't also compare the four years without the Covid impact to see what that match up shows - that is more comparing apples to apples

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT