ADVERTISEMENT

We owe Tubby and apology

WOW! that was Ricks team and they played like Ricks teams played. Just watch the replays of that team and you see Ricks hustle and work ethic that just a few years later was totally gone. Are you talking about the 92 team? the one that was playing one of the greatest Duke teams ever that was trying to repeat? The UK team that has 4 kids from the eastern mountains of KY playing with Mash? The UK team that had 1/8 the talent that the 98 team that beat duke had? The UK team that scored 103 points and lost by a miracle full court pass and shot with 1 second on the clock? ohhh ok. That team wouldn't have made the NIT had Tubby been the coach.
A miracle full court pass that was uncontested. Pitino's great coaching mind failed him there. If Tubby had been the coach, he would have had enough sense to have guarded a little better in that situation. Pitino isn't the beat all end all you have him out to be in your mind. People say 98 was Rick's team but as you said 92 had 4 kids from Eastern Kentucky and correct me if I am wrong, but weren't they Sutton's players?

why cant you all just read the entire thing in context instead of picking out one isolated phrase. I was attempting to be fair to him for last years team....
I’m still not sure you get why so many people are laughing at that line. Nobody’s taking issue with what you meant to say, instead only the funny malapropism.

It’s granted, not granite. Granite means something totally different.

Last edited:
Reactions: treyforuk
I went through Tubbys last six years at UK compared to Cal`s past six years. Tubby actually has 4 more wins and 6 less losses in that time span than Cal, and with a heck of alot less talent (at least on paper). Granite Covid was a factor last year and the year before. Cal having such a young team last year, having more practice time would have made that team better. I am not wanting Cal gone or anything like that as I have enjoyed alot of his teams and certainly have not given up on this team. I live in Louisville and have argued with many idiot Card fans that Cal was alot better coach than he was given credit. However as time goes by they may be more correct through their hatred than I am in my defense. He arguable should have three Titles here and definitely let one go at Memphis. His half court offense is middle school level bad. Ghost screens up top, to try to get a paint touch for a lob or a kick out three. If we dont get a bucket in transition against good teams we struggle to score. They clog the paint, double down on Oscar, face guard Kellen , and dare Wheeler to shoot. If Ty is off we are beat against a very good team. I fear as much as I love this team we are a sweet 16, elite 8 at best. Cal handled the Shaedon Sharpe thing horribly and this kid will never play a second for us... and he doesn't care! He gets his 9 millions a year , flaps his mouth about how stupid all of us are, and we just dont get it.

Again I am not for him leaving because as we saw with Gillespie and Sutton it can get ALOT worse. While Cal seems to bring his teams around defensively most years, and this team has good numbers offensively we really are not efficient in the half court and that is going to beat us against the very well coached teams once we get to the final 16 elite 8 level.

Maybe I am over reacting a bit, but we all (including me) wanted to run Tubby out on a rail (the national media made it about race but that was not it), we want a winner and Cal in the past six years has proven that perhaps his days are over....

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?
I totally agree, except I now believe it is time for a change. Cal doesn't care about winning a Championship. He only cares about his players showcasing for the NBA. That is fine, but not at the expense of the program. Several alumni players, some great ones, see what's going on and have for the most part been non-vocal and just go with the flow. You take a look at what is happening this year with Sharpe. Why isn't he playing? I'll tell you why, he will be a top 10 pick, and Cal and his family do not want to risk that. So why take him? I guess so no other school can have him and he actually plays. If we have numerous players leave this year that should actually stay, everyone but TyTy, and the 2 seniors, we are in serious trouble. Better hope the portal is open with experienced (5) or (4) stars.

correct me if I am wrong, but weren't they Sutton's players?
Yeah and Sutton didn't do jack with them. They sat on the bench and only played in practice. Pitinos the one that turned them in to studs. And the uncontested pass left 5 on 4. It didn't work but its not like the worst strategy in the world. The players were told NOT to foul so they weren't aggressive. I believe Pitino regretted that decision and admitted so later. However, my point was that that team shouldn't have even been in that tourney with the talent they had, yet they made to the EE and almost made to the final four. No way Sutton or Tubby could have done that.

I totally agree, except I now believe it is time for a change. Cal doesn't care about winning a Championship. He only cares about his players showcasing for the NBA. That is fine, but not at the expense of the program. Several alumni players, some great ones, see what's going on and have for the most part been non-vocal and just go with the flow. You take a look at what is happening this year with Sharpe. Why isn't he playing? I'll tell you why, he will be a top 10 pick, and Cal and his family do not want to risk that. So why take him? I guess so no other school can have him and he actually plays. If we have numerous players leave this year that should actually stay, everyone but TyTy, and the 2 seniors, we are in serious trouble. Better hope the portal is open with experienced (5) or (4) stars.
You are just as bad as the op.
Caring about NBA died down 3 years ago. Anyone with half a brain can see that isn't the case.
There's not a coach alive that wouldn't have let Sharpe come to Lexington.

I thinks it’s fair to say in their tenures without cherry-picking certain time periods, Tubby was probably more steady, but we’ve had higher highs (4 final fours vs 1) and lower lows (Tubby never missed the tournament or had a loaing season) under Cal.
If u want mediocre than tubby was your guy. Never a thought of winning in March late in career.

Every year except last season we have a chance of winning now. If you take a covid year with no practice bonding that highly, than the joke is on you. It's like some of you have no idea what is going on and what it takes to put a good team on the floor.

The SEC is much tougher now than when Tubby coached. No offense to Tubby, it's just a fact.
It just depends on how ya look at it but I hear this all the time how the conference is so much better now. During Tubbys years here you had Florida playing in 3 National Champ games winning 2 of them, back to back and also a Runner up finish. LSU played in a Final Four and then those Lofton teams at UT were not bad. Georgia, Miss St. and Alabama all had a couple of decent years during different times around TubbyTime. We used to get 6 teams in the tournament every year. I’m not sayin whether the SEC is better now or back then. I don’t know. It did go to complete shit there for a few years though but it’s looking pretty good again for now. That’s Just my 2cents. This is not meant to start an argument lol.

Reactions: Johnfarrel
No apologies needed

cal = good recruiter, below average coach

tubby= below average recruiter, good coach
Then why does Tubby suck at every stop post UK? Even at High point, where the talent is all terrible in that conference, he still sucked?

If all talent was equal, the best UK coaches are, in order excluding Rupp:
Pitino
Calipari
Sutton
Gillespie (obviously because he's won at more stop than Tubs)

Tubby

Then why does Tubby suck at every stop post UK? Even at High point, where the talent is all terrible in that conference, he still sucked?

If all talent was equal, the best UK coaches are, in order excluding Rupp:
Pitino
Calipari
Sutton
Gillespie (obviously because he's won at more stop than Tubs)

Tubby
Well I’d put Tubby over BCG only because BCG inherited Tubbys guys and went downhill with them and took em to NIT. Also if I’m not mistaken Tubby ends up taking over Texas Tech and BCG’s team who won like 8 or 9 games and Tubby got them in the NCAA tournament within a couple of years. He was Big 12 coach of the year that year. This was post UK. I’m not a big fan of Tubby either but he wasn’t as bad as some ppl make him out to be, but he wasn’t as great as some try to make him to be either.

He has run High Point into the ground for sure! When he was younger and seemed more interested in wat was going on on the court he wasn’t that bad.

Reactions: Louis_Skunt
A miracle full court pass that was uncontested. Pitino's great coaching mind failed him there.

Not necessarily. He was no doubt thinking this way, he'd have (similar to a power play in hockey) all five of his guys at the front court versus only four of the Duke boys (let's just say Grant Hill was not The Flash and wasn't gotta get there in two seconds and change!). And let's face it throwing that forward pass on target that far away wasn't easy either. Obviously it didn't work out but I don't think the play/decision not to put a guy on the inbounds passer was nearly as unconscionable as some (maybe most?) here might think.

You can bet though Tubby in 1998 was gonna guard that inbounds passer come hell or high water! If he didn't and the Duke boys once again made that last second shot I think he'd have to go into the witness protection program!!

Reactions: CNJ1966
I totally agree, except I now believe it is time for a change. Cal doesn't care about winning a Championship. He only cares about his players showcasing for the NBA.
Yeah a lot of good that does us...folks, we need a true KENTUCKY FIRST coach.

Cal ain’t going nowhere

Yeah and Sutton didn't do jack with them. They sat on the bench and only played in practice. Pitinos the one that turned them in to studs. And the uncontested pass left 5 on 4. It didn't work but its not like the worst strategy in the world. The players were told NOT to foul so they weren't aggressive. I believe Pitino regretted that decision and admitted so later. However, my point was that that team shouldn't have even been in that tourney with the talent they had, yet they made to the EE and almost made to the final four. No way Sutton or Tubby could have done that.
Sutton. Another very good coach, who was oblivious to his surroundings, and a drunk. His downfall.

My point. Everyone was in the same boat with covid.
Again, Baylor’s players were all back from the previous year so OF COURSE they weren’t affected the way a team filled with newcomers was. Duh.

We all did take the Tubby's years for granite. Yes, those years were fast paste. But for all intensive purposes it is a doggy dog world. When he left it all became a mute point. Getting BCG was actually a blessing in the skys. Irregardless, we may or may not owe him an apology.
Now you are just being a pre-Madonna

Again, Baylor’s players were all back from the previous year so OF COURSE they weren’t affected the way a team filled with newcomers was. Duh.
EVERY COLLEGE BASKETBALL TEAM....REGARDLESS OF LEVEL HAD TO DEAL WITH COVID.

We’ve had two mediocre seasons since 2015. We’ve been a two seed three times since then, and likely would have been a fourth time if there was a tournament that year. We’ll see what happens this year, but acting like the last 7 years has been some miserable experience is dishonest or crazy.

We’ve had two mediocre seasons since 2015. We’ve been a two seed three times since then, and likely would have been a fourth time if there was a tournament that year. We’ll see what happens this year, but acting like the last 7 years has been some miserable experience is dishonest or crazy.
We are either mediocre or very good, but after every season it's the same. Lose 90% of point production to draft or transfers, recruit a bunch of new players, start from scratch the next season. Would be nice to actually produce some experienced seniors every year to mix in with the elite talent.

Never went to NIT, never went out first round. With vastly "inferior" talent.
And we never had a chance to win the tournament either. We were not really competitive. I can remember getting whipped by Kansas and Cals Memphis team. We couldn’t even really hang with UNC either. Indiana and Louisville was about the extent of our non conference major wins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT