ADVERTISEMENT

We owe Tubby and apology

If you can't tell that Calipari is a better coach than Tubby Smith then I don't know what to tell you. Calipari has won everywhere he has coached. Tubby has not. It's simple.

Let’s face it. A Tubby thread has no street cred without posts by Louis Skunk and Deplion.

Mods please delete.

Tubby lost his job because his recruiting absolutely fell off the cliff the last couple of years of his reign. I'd love to know the real backstory there. I think a lot of people felt it was because he stopped putting in the work needed to land the best of the best, but I think there is more to it than that.

I think a big part of it was that he just didn't have the stomach to cheat the way the other big-time programs were cheating back then. A perfect example is North Carolina. Carolina was absolutely cheating their ass off back then - if we were recruiting against them for a kid, we had absolutely no shot. When kids who were life-long UK fans like Brandan Wright or Tyler Hansbrough spurn you for UNC, you know something is wrong.

Chris Duhon was another kid that Tubby went all out on, but in the end, we couldn't compete with the perks he and his family got for going to Duke. I think those recruiting losses took a lot out of Tubby, and ultimately he stopped even trying to recruit the top echelon kids and tried to find hidden gems, but in the end, too many of those hidden gems turned out to be fool's gold.

Reactions: treyforuk
I wouldn't apologize to Tubby in the least. His style was horrible and ten loss tubby was well deserved. Giving us Tubby was the only thing Rick did at UK that totally sucked. Cal just sucks more than ten loss Tubby. Tubby would out coach the fvck out of Cal while Cal would out recruit tubby. They play 10 games against each other and 5 wins would go to coaching ability and 5 wins would go to talent. Neither should have been at UK.

Tubby was closer to winning it all those last few years than Cal has been for the last few.
How so? Seems about dead even to me:

In his last six seasons Tubby was:

2007: Second Round
2006: Second Round
2005: Elite 8
2004: Second Round
2003: Elite 8
2002: Sweet 16

Cal’s last 6 years, not counting this year as it’s still in progress:

2021: Did not qualify for postseason
2020: No postseason for anyone - won only championship we were eligible to win
2019: Elite 8
2018: Sweet 16
2017: Elite 8
2016: Second Round

I went through Tubbys last six years at UK compared to Cal`s past six years. Tubby actually has 4 more wins and 6 less losses in that time span than Cal, and with a heck of alot less talent (at least on paper). Granite Covid was a factor last year and the year before. Cal having such a young team last year, having more practice time would have made that team better. I am not wanting Cal gone or anything like that as I have enjoyed alot of his teams and certainly have not given up on this team. I live in Louisville and have argued with many idiot Card fans that Cal was alot better coach than he was given credit. However as time goes by they may be more correct through their hatred than I am in my defense. He arguable should have three Titles here and definitely let one go at Memphis. His half court offense is middle school level bad. Ghost screens up top, to try to get a paint touch for a lob or a kick out three. If we dont get a bucket in transition against good teams we struggle to score. They clog the paint, double down on Oscar, face guard Kellen , and dare Wheeler to shoot. If Ty is off we are beat against a very good team. I fear as much as I love this team we are a sweet 16, elite 8 at best. Cal handled the Shaedon Sharpe thing horribly and this kid will never play a second for us... and he doesn't care! He gets his 9 millions a year , flaps his mouth about how stupid all of us are, and we just dont get it.

Again I am not for him leaving because as we saw with Gillespie and Sutton it can get ALOT worse. While Cal seems to bring his teams around defensively most years, and this team has good numbers offensively we really are not efficient in the half court and that is going to beat us against the very well coached teams once we get to the final 16 elite 8 level.

Maybe I am over reacting a bit, but we all (including me) wanted to run Tubby out on a rail (the national media made it about race but that was not it), we want a winner and Cal in the past six years has proven that perhaps his days are over....

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?
So should we give him another shot?

We all did take the Tubby's years for granite. Yes, those years were fast paste. But for all intensive purposes it is a doggy dog world. When he left it all became a mute point. Getting BCG was actually a blessing in the skys. Irregardless, we may or may not owe him an apology.

I see what you did! 👍

Can you also comment on what part Tubby had in the Germans bombing Pearl Harbour? 😂

yea but people would read your post and then say "consider the source"
It’s funny when people think I give a damn. I support the cats. You crap all over them like the other haters and imposters. I’d despise being miserable and pissing all over the program like you and others.

It’s funny when people think I give a damn. I support the cats. You crap all over them like the other haters and imposters. I’d despise being miserable and pissing all over the program like you and others.
yea, you don't give a damn but you've been posting here for 15 years (except the times you get suspended ). Just admit you enjoy coming here and antagonizing people. Its obvious to everyone.

no criticism .....if you win. if you recruit 9 two stars and win, no one's complaining.
recruit 9 five stars and lose....well Cal is responsible for the roster.
But my original comment was regarding the effect that strict NCAA covid protocols had. Unless you expect Cal to have anticipated a global pandemic back around 1997 and started recruiting accordingly, you can't blame him. He has had pretty good success in the past with very young teams, as have Duke, NC, KU, etc.

For the record, I don't like having a bunch of OADs. But the reality is that if UK doesn't get them, our rivals will. I'd rather have Sharpe at UK *not playing* than have him at Duke.

yea, you don't give a damn but you've been posting here for 15 years (except the times you get suspended ). Just admit you enjoy coming here and antagonizing people. Its obvious to everyone.
Actually I consider it distaste and pathetic to have to call out people for pissing and crapping on the Cats. To me you are just like a U6 or UT fan. I can’t tell the difference. Anyone that bashes coaches, schedules, players, Rupp Arena is more like a U6 or Indiana fan than KY. It’s probably obvious to every one I don’t like fans coming here and trashing the program I support. Go piss on Duke or something. We don’t need the hating stink here.

But my original comment was regarding the effect that strict NCAA covid protocols had. Unless you expect Cal to have anticipated a global pandemic back around 1997 and started recruiting accordingly, you can't blame him. He has had pretty good success in the past with very young teams, as have Duke, NC, KU, etc.

For the record, I don't like having a bunch of OADs. But the reality is that if UK doesn't get them, our rivals will. I'd rather have Sharpe at UK *not playing* than have him at Duke.
I laugh when I think of the outrage if Sharpe returned for his Freshman year at Duke and went off on us for 40. Cal announcing that he passed on him because there was an unquantifiable chance he might not play. Heads would explode.

Actually it wouldn’t shock me out if Sharp entered the transfer portal. I can understand him not wanting to play for haters like what we have. We have people wanting to gut Grady and bench him and Wheeler over a bad night.

Reactions: kelzer
I wouldn't apologize to Tubby in the least. His style was horrible and ten loss tubby was well deserved. Giving us Tubby was the only thing Rick did at UK that totally sucked. Cal just sucks more than ten loss Tubby. Tubby would out coach the fvck out of Cal while Cal would out recruit tubby. They play 10 games against each other and 5 wins would go to coaching ability and 5 wins would go to talent. Neither should have been at UK.
Tubby beat Duke in the NCAA Tournament, did Rick do that when they played? No.

At least you have Iona's NIT game to look forward to watching.

Tubby lost his job because his recruiting absolutely fell off the cliff the last couple of years of his reign. I'd love to know the real backstory there. I think a lot of people felt it was because he stopped putting in the work needed to land the best of the best, but I think there is more to it than that.

I think a big part of it was that he just didn't have the stomach to cheat the way the other big-time programs were cheating back then. A perfect example is North Carolina. Carolina was absolutely cheating their ass off back then - if we were recruiting against them for a kid, we had absolutely no shot. When kids who were life-long UK fans like Brandan Wright or Tyler Hansbrough spurn you for UNC, you know something is wrong.

Chris Duhon was another kid that Tubby went all out on, but in the end, we couldn't compete with the perks he and his family got for going to Duke. I think those recruiting losses took a lot out of Tubby, and ultimately he stopped even trying to recruit the top echelon kids and tried to find hidden gems, but in the end, too many of those hidden gems turned out to be fool's gold.
I agree with you. Tubby was too honorable to cheat. He was a honest man having to play liar's poker and that's just not his game. Not only did you have UNC and Duke step up their cheating ways, by this point Calipari had Memphis built up and getting some high level prospects.

At least Tubby did the honorable thing and move on. He left with grace and his character intact.

Agree with most everything except the apology part. Tubby's last few years were sub-standard (UK standards) and he deserved the heat he got just as Cal deserved it for the last couple of years (before this year; no complaints much there).

Reactions: kl40504
Sorry, but this is a stupid take. Last year UK had multiple freshmen starting. Baylor's starters last year had been on the team a collective 12 years before the season started. All 5 were on the team the previous year. To act like they were affected in the same way as a bunch of freshmen who had never played together before is just plain stupid. 4 of UK's players with the most starts were freshmen, and the 2 upper classmen, Saar and Mintz, were transfers who didn't redshirt at UK. So *literally* none of the top 6 starters had ever played together. And none of them came in with experience in Cal's system.

All the blue-blood teams filled with OADs were similarly affected. Teams filled with veterans coming back not so much.
Nope...it's a very valid take.

Covid began March 2020. That's sufficient time to adjust to the issue.

Other teams, and I don't care about their tenure, were somehow able to practice, play games, etc....to get ready for the season. UK didn't or couldn't. There was also a bust on some of the talent. That happens sometimes.

Point is...UK was in the same boat as everyone else. To suggest otherwise is simply making an excuse.

Reactions: treyforuk
I went through Tubbys last six years at UK compared to Cal`s past six years. Tubby actually has 4 more wins and 6 less losses in that time span than Cal, and with a heck of alot less talent (at least on paper). Granite Covid was a factor last year and the year before. Cal having such a young team last year, having more practice time would have made that team better. I am not wanting Cal gone or anything like that as I have enjoyed alot of his teams and certainly have not given up on this team. I live in Louisville and have argued with many idiot Card fans that Cal was alot better coach than he was given credit. However as time goes by they may be more correct through their hatred than I am in my defense. He arguable should have three Titles here and definitely let one go at Memphis. His half court offense is middle school level bad. Ghost screens up top, to try to get a paint touch for a lob or a kick out three. If we dont get a bucket in transition against good teams we struggle to score. They clog the paint, double down on Oscar, face guard Kellen , and dare Wheeler to shoot. If Ty is off we are beat against a very good team. I fear as much as I love this team we are a sweet 16, elite 8 at best. Cal handled the Shaedon Sharpe thing horribly and this kid will never play a second for us... and he doesn't care! He gets his 9 millions a year , flaps his mouth about how stupid all of us are, and we just dont get it.

Again I am not for him leaving because as we saw with Gillespie and Sutton it can get ALOT worse. While Cal seems to bring his teams around defensively most years, and this team has good numbers offensively we really are not efficient in the half court and that is going to beat us against the very well coached teams once we get to the final 16 elite 8 level.

Maybe I am over reacting a bit, but we all (including me) wanted to run Tubby out on a rail (the national media made it about race but that was not it), we want a winner and Cal in the past six years has proven that perhaps his days are over....

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?
We don’t owe Tubby AND apology. We don’t owe AND Tubby AND apology. We don‘t AND anyone an apology. We don’t owe you AND apology. 💩 man come on.

Nope...it's a very valid take.

Covid began March 2020. That's sufficient time to adjust to the issue.

Other teams, and I don't care about their tenure, were somehow able to practice, play games, etc....to get ready for the season. UK didn't or couldn't. There was also a bust on some of the talent. That happens sometimes.

Point is...UK was in the same boat as everyone else. To suggest otherwise is simply making an excuse.
Nonsense. I just explained it. Duke had a young team last year. They sucked. UNC had a young team last year. They sucked. Kansas had more of a veteran team last year. They were respectable. As I said, Baylor had damn near everyone back with lots of history with the team and thorough knowledge of the system. They won a championship.

😂

This thread and the Smith apologists. They are far worse than the Calipari apologists.

Nonsense. I just explained it. Duke had a young team last year. They sucked. UNC had a young team last year. They sucked. Kansas had more of a veteran team last year. They were respectable. As I said, Baylor had damn near everyone back with lots of history with the team and thorough knowledge of the system. They won a championship.
UK 9-16
pUKe 13-11
uncheats 18-11
kansas 21-9

I think we'd all taken 18-11 or even 13-11 vs the mess we saw last year.

UK has had young teams before and has had successful years.

The talent last year just wasn't there. That was obvious. There were also some internal issues on the team I believe. Not sure how the woke mess played into the season but I believe it was a component. I know there were lots of discussions on the board about that.

Plus, how do you account for those teams with juniors and seniors that have bad records??

UK, for the last time, was in the same boat with everyone else.

UK 9-16
pUKe 13-11
uncheats 18-11
kansas 21-9

I think we'd all taken 18-11 or even 13-11 vs the mess we saw last year.

UK has had young teams before and has had successful years.

The talent last year just wasn't there. That was obvious. There were also some internal issues on the team I believe. Not sure how the woke mess played into the season but I believe it was a component. I know there were lots of discussions on the board about that.

Plus, how do you account for those teams with juniors and seniors that have bad records??

UK, for the last time, was in the same boat with everyone else.
Baylor seemed to do well. Covid and the woke didn't effect them

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Tubby beat Duke in the NCAA Tournament, did Rick do that when they played? No.

At least you have Iona's NIT game to look forward to watching.
WOW! that was Ricks team and they played like Ricks teams played. Just watch the replays of that team and you see Ricks hustle and work ethic that just a few years later was totally gone. Are you talking about the 92 team? the one that was playing one of the greatest Duke teams ever that was trying to repeat? The UK team that has 4 kids from the eastern mountains of KY playing with Mash? The UK team that had 1/8 the talent that the 98 team that beat duke had? The UK team that scored 103 points and lost by a miracle full court pass and shot with 1 second on the clock? ohhh ok. That team wouldn't have made the NIT had Tubby been the coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT