ADVERTISEMENT

Andy Beshear - Not a fan of Science

May accelerate. Hypothetical about the behavior of children. All conjecture. Yet a couple posts later you're citing it as fact. Not solid footing no matter what the feedback loop tells you. I don't get how some of you all are so skeptical of more established sources of information but then latch on to things like this statement.
When considering all factors, and the effect of covid on children, it is easily safer for kids in school.

I said this is another thread, but I'll reiterate it here:

First, kids don't just go to school by themselves. There are teachers, support staff, and admin that might be immunocompromised OR have families at home that have health conditions that make them susceptible to the virus. And Kentucky's teacher workforce is OLD, not robust and young. On top of that, some districts are refusing to make accommodations for these teachers. Every time my county has opened its schools there's been a surge. Now correlation is not causation, I know, but this happened three times.

Second, even if we went back to in-person I can tell you from what my wife tells me that school is not "the way it was." Social distancing is enforced (to what degree it can) and from what I've been told most kids are mask compliant. However, there is no group work, no small discussions, no walking around the rooms, etc. It is all simply "sit and get" instruction. On top of that, teachers are having to do two jobs this year for the price of one to supervise online and in-person students. Ridiculous request if you ask me, but districts aren't paying the money to handle the requests from parents for options. I would not be shocked if we see a lot of resignations and retirements at winter break or after this school year because the burnout is real. I shudder to think what that could do for the state because teachers are not graduating in large numbers like they were a decade or two ago from our state colleges.

And finally, if you do open up and teachers have to quarantine, who are you going to put in a classroom? From all the news I've been following on this, districts everywhere are struggling to get substitutes because they tend to be retired teachers or old. Well, guess what? Those people aren't subbing this year because of the health risks. So when you get teachers, admin, secretaries, bus drivers, cafeteria workers, etc. calling in sick or having to quarantine by order of the local health department you can't replace them. You can't run a school without personnel. One of our neighboring counties has had to shut twice for this very issue. Another had to terminate bus service for three weeks until they got enough drivers again. Now, schools could help this if they loosened some of their sub requirements but I believe the state DOE sets those so its been a hindrance.

This time period sucks for teachers, students, and parents. No getting around it. But there are a host of reasons why these reopening plans aren't going well.
Same could be said for any people that have had to work during all this. Teachers aren’t the only ones who have to work during all this.
If someone doesn’t want to work don’t work. I don’t have a choice and I also don’t have a choice to get bombarded by property taxes much of which go to our education system that isn’t being fully utilized

When considering all factors, and the effect of covid on children, it is easily safer for kids in school.

I don't disagree but using conjecture as fact doesn't strengthen the case. You post a lot of useful information that shows sources, etc. and it has changed my thinking on a lot of it. I just hate seeing speculation get cited as fact when the consequences are so high. It confuses the issue and keeps us from making any real progress towards ending this collective nightmare.

Let's be honest - (some) teachers (unions) and Andy were acting like huge bitches in July/August with cases in the low hundreds, positivity rate below 4% and plenty of knowledge that children and people under 50 do very well against the virus.

They robbed many children of a quality 3.5 months in person school - and also blew all their community goodwill....MANY private schools operated flawlessly during this time, creating larger inequities.

If you refuse to operate during its endemic out of season state, there wont be much of a chance during the virus' fun season. With the explosion of testing, I'm not sure the numbers ever look better than they did in August - when Andy was pointing the finger laughing at Georgia and Mississippi. Big pickle he put himself in. January wont show lower numbers than August....so what will that explanation be?

Let's be honest - (some) teachers (unions) and Andy were acting like huge bitches in July/August with cases in the low hundreds, positivity rate below 4% and plenty of knowledge that children and people under 50 do very well against the virus.

They robbed many children of a quality 3.5 months in person school - and also blew all their community goodwill....MANY private schools operated flawlessly during this time, creating larger inequities.

If you refuse to operate during its endemic out of season state, there wont be much of a chance during the virus' fun season. With the explosion of testing, I'm not sure the numbers ever look better than they did in August - when Andy was pointing the finger laughing at Georgia and Mississippi. Big pickle he put himself in. January wont show lower numbers than August....so what will that explanation be?
Exactly. Andy got drunk on his power trip and list sight if reality. Cases during the summer will be lower no matter what you do, and cases will be higher during the colder months no matter what you do.

Now we've spent all our resources being bitches during the time we should have been preparing for winter. Get ready, it's going to get a lot worse economically.

But deaths haven't 🤔
Deaths are up slightly from a month ago as well per day. Regardless the positive cases don't immediately mean a spike in deaths. If it does cause a spike in deaths we wouldn't immediately see that. People don't die the second they become Covid-19 positive. That's common sense.

Deaths are still driven largely from Long term care facilities - the most locked down, tested and masked up places we have. 1500+ active cases currently....why would these general population restrictions perform any better? crazy!
Suicide, death by neglect, and death due to "failure to thrive" are skyrocketing in those facilities right now too. AP News just had a story on it this morning.

Deaths are up slightly from a month ago as well per day. Regardless the positive cases don't immediately mean a spike in deaths. If it does cause a spike in deaths we wouldn't immediately see that. People don't die the second they become Covid-19 positive. That's common sense.
Positive tests results started increasing back in the summer.

I don't disagree but using conjecture as fact doesn't strengthen the case. You post a lot of useful information that shows sources, etc. and it has changed my thinking on a lot of it. I just hate seeing speculation get cited as fact when the consequences are so high. It confuses the issue and keeps us from making any real progress towards ending this collective nightmare.
There's some pretty compelling arguments it's literally safer for communities, in regards to covid spread, in school but of course we're years from actual studies because of how different each area is. So I see what you're saying but IMO it's the ultimate technicality.

With all the misinfo out there, even I got burned yesterday on it, I get what you're saying.

Reactions: kyeric and chroix
It would seem like we hit a bunch of the targets (therapeutics, vaccine, etc) we'd been shooting for and we need a smarter approach going forward. I'm still not getting on a cruise ship or airplane any time soon, but the total lockdown approach has to end. It's time for a scalpel not a chainsaw.

Andy spent the summer months flexing his executive order muscles and living the high life on a power trip.

That is showing to be a terrible strategy. The virus was laying low during those months and hospitals were empty, now the curve is jumping back up and the governor is running out of ammunition to fight it.

I cant wait to see this bozo get whipped into submission by the legislature. His last three years are going to be a gridlocked dogfight and he brought it all on himself.

Yep. It isn't hard to understand. It's just like any other virus. It isn't going away because everyone stays inside. As soon as you go back out, ta-da. So, the sooner you get people out and about the sooner this is over. The more you shutdown, not only do you just prolong the inevitable, you destroy everything in the path of the shutdown.

There's some pretty compelling arguments it's literally safer for communities, in regards to covid spread, in school but of course we're years from actual studies because of how different each area is. So I see what you're saying but IMO it's the ultimate technicality.

With all the misinfo out there, even I got burned yesterday on it, I get what you're saying.

Good. I've really appreciated your and a few others (GG) work on this here. I just hate when people skip over qualifying statements and take it as gospel and then try to dunk on people.

Arbitrary maybe to someone who isn't paying attention or being blatantly ignorant to the actual numbers and cases to benefit whatever personal narrative they have sure. But in the last month the cases and positive numbers have nearly tripled.

Again...where are the numbers exploding? I know because I have done my research. You obviously don't other than what Andy is force feeing you. His so called "surgical approach" is the equivalent of throwing a dart blindfolded and wherever it sticks becomes his latest exec order. He has zero basis for shutting down restaurants and schools.

Again...where are the numbers exploding? I know because I have done my research. You obviously don't other than what Andy is force feeing you. His so called "surgical approach" is the equivalent of throwing a dart blindfolded and wherever it sticks becomes his latest exec order. He has zero basis for shutting down restaurants and schools.
You've done your research? I suppose Andy is force feeding information to the AP and NYT? Look I get it brother. You're angry and want to throw a temper tantrum and scream collusion. Its fine. You can do that but that doesn't change the fact that in Mid-October we were seeing 700 new cases a day and now we are seeing well over 2000.

Positive tests results started increasing back in the summer.
Yes we were seeing between 300-800 new cases between late June and late August. We are now well over 2000 new cases a day. The deaths haven't gone up dramatically however we did see the most deaths in the state in a 2 day span the last 2 days. Definitely not insignificant and its dangerous for some to act as if this just came out of no where. We knew the cases and deaths would go back up during this time. This is why most of us prepared for this.

If we do those things this situation will work itself out.

Ah yes I remember those days. Back in March. Two weeks to flatten the curve!

Also in July. Let's try masks for just 30 days to see if they work.

The only thing that will make Andy let go is he has to. That's it.

750k teachers, students, admin in the state. Don't believe we should shut it all down for 3-4 infections

Take colleges for example. They're still allowed to go. UK had over 2500 cases per their dashboard. 300 active now. There haven't been 300 cases total from schools in the entire state. That doesn't even count the obvious that college kids will engage in much riskier behavior

Arbitrary maybe to someone who isn't paying attention or being blatantly ignorant to the actual numbers and cases

Oh good. What was the total number of people newly infected with covid yesterday? How many of those were in captive populations?

I'll give you a hint - we don't know. The governor knows or could know but won't tell us. Instead we get to hear how many positive tests were returned. That includes repeat tests to rule out false positives, testing of already known sick people, and who knows what else. Better yet those numbers are 10-14 days behind.

So we'll never be told the actual number of new infections in a given day. That number is being withheld from us.

I don't understand why he refuses to answer any questions about anything of significance. He "read" an article about the spread might be coming from restaurants and bars but he has no hard evidence to support this. Instead he restricts them to the point of financially bankrupting them right before Christmas. Then on top of that he wants to try and control the people we have in our homes. If you are uncomfortable with that then either A. don't host gatherings or B. don't attend. He doesn't pay my mortgage. Not to mention the harm he is causing kids by jerking them around with the school decisions. I just hope when the legislature returns the GOP knocks him down a few notches. I hope everyone see's what a joke of a Governor he is and this is his ONLY term.

Yes we were seeing between 300-800 new cases between late June and late August. We are now well over 2000 new cases a day. The deaths haven't gone up dramatically however we did see the most deaths in the state in a 2 day span the last 2 days. Definitely not insignificant and its dangerous for some to act as if this just came out of no where. We knew the cases and deaths would go back up during this time. This is why most of us prepared for this.
How did you prepare?

Reactions: cole854
Ah yes I remember those days. Back in March. Two weeks to flatten the curve!

Also in July. Let's try masks for just 30 days to see if they work.

The only thing that will make Andy let go is he has to. That's it.

Take colleges for example. They're still allowed to go. UK had over 2500 cases per their dashboard. 300 active now. There haven't been 300 cases total from schools in the entire state. That doesn't even count the obvious that college kids will engage in much riskier behavior

Oh good. What was the total number of people newly infected with covid yesterday? How many of those were in captive populations?

I'll give you a hint - we don't know. The governor knows or could know but won't tell us. Instead we get to hear how many positive tests were returned. That includes repeat tests to rule out false positives, testing of already known sick people, and who knows what else. Better yet those numbers are 10-14 days behind.

So we'll never be told the actual number of new infections in a given day. That number is being withheld from us.
I didn't say flatten the curve. We aren't going to do that. That was never going to happen. These are all precautionary measures to mitigate the spread. Masks work I'm not getting into that. We wear them at work and are mandated by the base commander to do as such even at our desks sitting by ourselves. Its really not that difficult. Finally, I'm sure the Governor could know a lot of things. Its not our job to speculate and create scenarios to fulfill a narrative. It takes awhile for the numbers to come out and for specific information like that to be released. Its difficult to release specific details in a vacuum so I don't understand why you think it should be easier with an entire state.

I didn't say flatten the curve. We aren't going to do that. That was never going to happen. These are all precautionary measures to mitigate the spread. Masks work I'm not getting into that. We wear them at work and are mandated by the base commander to do as such even at our desks sitting by ourselves. Its really not that difficult. Finally, I'm sure the Governor could know a lot of things. Its not our job to speculate and create scenarios to fulfill a narrative. It takes awhile for the numbers to come out and for specific information like that to be released. Its difficult to release specific details in a vacuum so I don't understand why you think it should be easier with an entire state.

It's absolutely our job to question our political leaders. It's their job to provide facts to back up drastic actions. Not hide those facts, if they exist at all.

The fact you, and many think otherwise speaks volumes.

How did you prepare?
By telling myself that the little bit I was able to do at the time probably wouldn't last very long and I'd have to mentally prepare for being stuck in the house with my kids while we were being told we couldn't return to work. Luckily I don't have to worry about the financial ramifications of this but I know of others who do with small businesses who were aware that at some point there would be restrictions in place and they were able to save up enough money to last a month or 2 without having to shut down for good.

• Haha
Reactions: 80 Proof
It's absolutely our job to question our political leaders. It's their job to provide facts to back up drastic actions. Not hide those facts, if they exist at all.

The fact you, and many think otherwise speaks volumes.
Yes its our job to question their level of effectiveness and decision making but its not our job to create these scenarios that only fit your narrative. Some of us can question the decision without going off of the deep end and pretending this is some deep rooted issue that is being created by big government to steal our souls. Guess what? Andy could very well be making a poor decision by doing this and you know what? I'd say most of us would make a poor decision because its not likely any of this is going to be 100% effective. Its a tough decision. Every leader across this great nation has screwed up along the way. This isn't exactly something we go through every year.

• Haha
Reactions: 80 Proof
It’s not a true statement that “the rest of the developed world” is against student quarantine. Likewise, there are conflicting studies on the subject. So, to say someone is anti science based on one study or a handful of studies is kind of a superficial argument.

As initially stated, there might be some truth to the notion that the shutdowns do not help, but it’s not as cut and dry as you suggest and your insinuations of being anti science are a bit ridiculous.

You are wrong. There is overwhelming evidence that school settings are far safer than the general public. Hell, even the New York Times acknowledges it. Initially, there was not enough data to know where the virus spreads and where it doesn't.

School settings, because of the protocols being taken (masks, hand washing, sanitizing, social distancing) along with the fact that children are not as likely to become infected and are not as contagious, should NOT be closed. This is not an opinion, it's a fact backed up by data and science. The study I linked is one of MANY that have been conducted around the world.

When you weigh the known risks of kids not being in school against the risk of virus spread, it's an even more overwhelming argument against closing schools.

He's lost in his echo chamber.

I said this is another thread, but I'll reiterate it here:

First, kids don't just go to school by themselves. There are teachers, support staff, and admin that might be immunocompromised OR have families at home that have health conditions that make them susceptible to the virus. And Kentucky's teacher workforce is OLD, not robust and young. On top of that, some districts are refusing to make accommodations for these teachers. Every time my county has opened its schools there's been a surge. Now correlation is not causation, I know, but this happened three times.

Second, even if we went back to in-person I can tell you from what my wife tells me that school is not "the way it was." Social distancing is enforced (to what degree it can) and from what I've been told most kids are mask compliant. However, there is no group work, no small discussions, no walking around the rooms, etc. It is all simply "sit and get" instruction. On top of that, teachers are having to do two jobs this year for the price of one to supervise online and in-person students. Ridiculous request if you ask me, but districts aren't paying the money to handle the requests from parents for options. I would not be shocked if we see a lot of resignations and retirements at winter break or after this school year because the burnout is real. I shudder to think what that could do for the state because teachers are not graduating in large numbers like they were a decade or two ago from our state colleges.

And finally, if you do open up and teachers have to quarantine, who are you going to put in a classroom? From all the news I've been following on this, districts everywhere are struggling to get substitutes because they tend to be retired teachers or old. Well, guess what? Those people aren't subbing this year because of the health risks. So when you get teachers, admin, secretaries, bus drivers, cafeteria workers, etc. calling in sick or having to quarantine by order of the local health department you can't replace them. You can't run a school without personnel. One of our neighboring counties has had to shut twice for this very issue. Another had to terminate bus service for three weeks until they got enough drivers again. Now, schools could help this if they loosened some of their sub requirements but I believe the state DOE sets those so its been a hindrance.

This time period sucks for teachers, students, and parents. No getting around it. But there are a host of reasons why these reopening plans aren't going well.

The data and statistics do not back up ANYTHING you are saying regarding the spread in schools. You are wrong.

In terms of the issues with teachers and subs. You are correct. When schools have become strained with teachers out due to quarantine (they aren't becoming infected at school. There is data to back that up) then the schools close for a short period until the teachers come back off of quarantine.

For those who want the data and facts...

And again, it "can" spread it school. It does, but you have to compare it to society as a whole. It's far safer than society as a whole. The alternative to school is sending kids out to do whatever they want. The data says that is where spread is more likely. Not school.

Does school being in session accelerate spread? No. That's backed up all around the world.

These aren't Q or Breitbart studies. They're real science and left leaning news agencies are agreeing with them. Our governor is one of the few leaders in the developed world who thinks schools need to be the first things to close. He's wrong and he's on an island. He isn't following the science or the data.

PS: I agree with most of the rest of the order from yesterday. There is science to backup that events, restaurants and bars accelerate the spread. It's not as definitive as the science and data that backs up keeping schools open, but there is data that suggests those events and settings accelerate the spread. I don't like it and I think he should have tried limiting capacity first, but closing schools was the LAST thing he should have tried. He tried it first. He's wrong.

Last edited:
Yes its our job to question their level of effectiveness and decision making but its not our job to create these scenarios that only fit your narrative. Some of us can question the decision without going off of the deep end and pretending this is some deep rooted issue that is being created by big government to steal our souls. Guess what? Andy could very well be making a poor decision by doing this and you know what? I'd say most of us would make a poor decision because its not likely any of this is going to be 100% effective. Its a tough decision. Every leader across this great nation has screwed up along the way. This isn't exactly something we go through every year.

I'm neither going off the deep end nor am I creating scenarios.

If the governor has the numbers I mentioned, he'd show them. He doesn't. He admitted that upon a direct question yesterday.

If he doesn't have numbers to back his actions, he shouldn't act. It's that simple.

Yet a certain segment of the population, including you (who doesn't even live in ky) will lavish praise on him no matter what he does.

So tell me again who is creating a scenario to fit a narrative?

PS: I agree with most of the rest of the order from yesterday. There is science to backup that events, restaurants and bars accelerate the spread

He was asked directly yesterday if he had data/contact tracing to back that up. He said he did not. So while that may be the case in some areas, here the contact tracing doesn't support it. If it did, we'd know it

Again this post was not about the restaurant and bars data. This is about education. Please stick to that.

There is real debate on weddings, church, events, bars and restaurants.

There is no debate on schools.

Italy for example, is doing all they can to keep middle and elementary schools open.

France is keeping all schools open.

England is approaching full lockdown, but they are keeping schools open.

Want more data?

Explain to me why those problems are considered for teachers/schools exclusively?

This is easy: classrooms don't always have good ventilation and you are breathing collective air for like 50-60 minutes. Contrast that to other industry where there is more spacing or interpersonal interactions are MUCH more limited and/or shorter in terms of time. Some schools have had to quarantine like 100+ kids due to one case for this reason.

My bigger complaint on how all this has been handled is requiring teachers to do two jobs at once. You want to open schools? Fine with me, but you need to hire more teachers to reduce class sizes and then teachers to handle virtual sections. However, if one were to ask for money for these things this is the response.................

Silence.

• Haha
Reactions: chroix and 80 Proof
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT