ADVERTISEMENT

Yesterday’s game showed how little recruiting

rollsroyce8420

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 26, 2003
rankings matter once you get past the top 5 or 6 classes. Either rivals misfired badly on their rankings or Northwestern is one of the most well coached/ well developed teams in the country and Nebraska is one of the most dysfunctional. The last 4 classes by recruiting rankings
2018 Nebraska 21 Northwestern 60
2019 Nebraska 15 Northwestern 49
2020 Nebraska 16 Northwestern 53
2021 Nebraska 18 Northwestern 50
That is an average ranking over those 4 years of:
Nebraska 17.5 Northwestern 55.5

I wanted to bet Northwestern yesterday but I did the talent research and saw the huge discrepancy and said no way I can bet Northwestern. Then if you watched the game, they looked even. That’s the last time I’ll use that as a gambling strategy!😂

Recruiting does matter...it's all the reasons you listed along with the onside kick up 11 in the 3rd lol Nebraska has more talent than Northwestern. Northwestern are far better coached. Should be a familiar theme for UK fans there.....

rankings matter once you get past the top 5 or 6 classes. Either rivals misfired badly on their rankings or Northwestern is one of the most well coached/ well developed teams in the country and Nebraska is one of the most dysfunctional. The last 4 classes by recruiting rankings
2018 Nebraska 21 Northwestern 60
2019 Nebraska 15 Northwestern 49
2020 Nebraska 16 Northwestern 53
2021 Nebraska 18 Northwestern 50
That is an average ranking over those 4 years of:
Nebraska 17.5 Northwestern 55.5

I wanted to bet Northwestern yesterday but I did the talent research and saw the huge discrepancy and said no way I can bet Northwestern. Then if you watched the game, they looked even. That’s the last time I’ll use that as a gambling strategy!😂
If it was only about recruiting rankings you could hire a great recruiter and get a $40K high school coach to lead them.

NW is a fairly smart program. They know they will never be Ohio State and they are okay with that. They have a former player from perhaps their programs high point running the show. They won the West division in '18 and '20, but went 3-9 in '19 and '21. Decent ups, pretty big drops.

Of course recruiting matters. Recruiting and development are the basis for roster construction, and Stoops has been brilliant as anyone without blinders on can see. The most astute evaluators of talent are not necessarily reflected by online class rankings. Anyone who believes Stoops has not recruited well is kidding themselves to satisfy an agenda. Any coach who has the common sense to sign Josh Allen and Eli Cox then grab Will Levis and Jacquez Jones out of the portal knows exactly what he is doing. The proof is in the results. When it comes to talent evaluation, Stoops has earned our confidence.

Recruiting 100% matters. Just look who the top 10-15 classes are every year and how those teams fair. Of course, you’re going to have a team like Nebraska, but that’s the exception, not the rule.

Like when people bring up Josh Allen to try and disprove that rankings matter. He’s the exception. Give me 4 and 5 stars over 3 stars any day of the week.

One game does not make a trend

Take the avg class rankings of all services over last 4 yrs, compare to top 25 now, you find few differences.

Talent matters, stars matter. We won 10 games last yr because a 4 star reciever from Nebraska's 2018 class portal'ed to UK. We will only get back to 10 wins in 2022 if some of the 4 star recievers we have signed recently make plays.

Reactions: cathouse and KMKAT
Northwestern's QB was highly rated when he signed with South Carolina. He was very accurate and Nebraska did nothing to make him uncomfortable. And that on side kick was a game changing decision.

Recruiting 100% matters. Just look who the top 10-15 classes are every year and how those teams fair. Of course, you’re going to have a team like Nebraska, but that’s the exception, not the rule.

Like when people bring up Josh Allen to try and disprove that rankings matter. He’s the exception. Give me 4 and 5 stars over 3 stars any day of the week.
I think UK had done this for yrs and we all know the result prior to Stoops

Reactions: bthaunert
Recruiting does matter. The actual number rankings however are rubbish outside the top 10 teams. Still with that said it was obvious watching the game that Nebraska was far and away more talented than Northwestern. Nebraska is a horribly coached team. The offense went from being run heavy to adding a more spread passing game concept. Except they kept both elements and did nothing to connect them. The running and passing concepts didn't feel integrated at all. Their offense felt schizophrenic. It felt like it did when Bill Curry tried to merge the stack I with a shotgun formation. One didn't support the other at all.

Also Scott Frost has had a reputation of not caring about the details and that showed Saturday. Players not blocking or tackling with correct technique. Defenders misaligned. All of those things we take away any advantage Nebraska had athletically.

Reactions: cathouse
One game is not a trend

The big ten champ over last decade has been Michigan, Ohio st, Ohio St, Ohio st, Ohio st, PennSt, Michigan St, Ohio st and Michigan st and then Wisconsin

When you rank recruiting classes over the same years it is far and away Ohio st the top and Michigan right behind…and then Penn st is third …it’s no coincidence those are the teams pretty much winning every year….save a Wisconsin or Michigan st every so often

The SEC trend is nearly identical…bottom line you better recruit or you ain’t winning it

Reactions: JHB4UK
And in just one game, Frost solidified his position at the top:

It was all about the coaching, lack thereof, and Frost calling out his new offensive coaches after Game 1. Good thing they didn't extend him to another 4 years, but they don't see the road again until 0ct 7th @ Rutgers.

If Frost can't win the next 3 out of 4, he has to be gone.

Reactions: JHB4UK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT