ADVERTISEMENT

Signing off and out until Cal is gone. Thanks to all.

ccc has driven me away
have not watched a complete game since the 2015 "giveaway" to Wi.
This year I actually watched part of a few games just to see Reed Sheppard, but this clown of a coach could not even see the talent in front of him. He insisted on playing Edwards, Wagner & Bradshaw, when it was obvious that they were way over rated. Sheppard was not flashy, or quick, but just a fundamental basketball player. Something that these other 3 were not and never will be. Disappointed that Sheppard had a bad game against Oakland, but IF uk had a coach that knew how to make adjustments or teach fundamentals or defense, maybe they would still be playing

And this.

Had a long day at work. Laid down to take a nap at 6, was worried I'd miss the game...But then I realized, what does it matter?

If they win, okay I'll watch the replay - cause who the hell is Oakland and why would I care? If they lose, I don't want to watch it anyway.

Woke up to 50+ texts. That was easier than watching that dumpster fire.

hTGzra1.png

• Haha
Reactions: NociHTTP
I've been here since the late 90's when the board was named something else and UK was recruiting a skinny kid from Compton named Tayshaun. Monitored this board in an on-campus computer lab between classes. Interacted with so many here over the last 25+ years and have a lot of good memories from this place. Arguments, celebrations, meet-ups to watch games at bars, SEC/NCAAT gatherings, banter about random BS. All of it.

Wanted Cal badly. Defended him like family. He resurrected UK from the ashes of Billy G's program, will always be thankful for that. Those first 6 years were a highlight that'll last a lifetime for any UK basketball fan, regardless of the outcome over the next 25+ years. Tried to remind myself not to take it for granted when UK was in its 4th Final Four in 6 years ... but still just 1 title after that 2015 loss was an enormous red flag that bothered me and grew larger over the next 4-5 years. Here we are.

It's over. We are at the point where IU was with Bobby Knight when he was beyond washed up and couldn't win anymore. That said, there's a huge financial hurdle. I'm so angry at the unconscionable contract the university gave Cal. I read it again last night, and as a lawyer, it's laughable. They gave away the keys to the kingdom of this storied program I was born and raised to love. This guy has failed horribly, and outside of sports, would have been fired for cause well before this year.

Cal said don't let others steal your joy. Well, Cal has done that for me and UK basketball. My mother is a UK grad from the 60's and she raised me to bleed blue. We would go to Midnight Madness together in the 90s and 00's. She is in her late 70's and cheers like a teenager. But over the last 3 years, she's given up. Thinks Cal has destroyed her precious program. She's so sick of his one and done NBA draft BS it's sad to watch how her joy has been stolen. Cal has taken that from us.

I'm not investing another dollar, nor will I give a single ounce of my energy about recruiting classes, Big Blue Madness, etc., until John Calipari is no longer UK's basketball coach. Some will say I'm not a "real fan" even though I was born in a UK onesie and have worshipped the program for 45 years. You're entitled to your opinion. But the time has come for me to focus on my kids, my job, and things other than letting UK basketball ruin my days, weekends, moments because of an overrated, arrogant, stubborn salesman destroying it all and talking down to fans like me who have pointed out the errors of his ways for years but he's too prideful to adjust because I'm just a dumb basketball benny to him.

Signing off for what could be a couple of years .... it's been fun, guys.
I feel you man. I hope you get to come back very soon.

Cals holier than thou and I answer to no one attitude has finally come back to bite him in the ass. His disdain for the fans and their expectations for him to uphold UKs great basketball tradition instead of his individual prestige of putting players in the league has led to his demise.

Reactions: KFuqua and dl51344
I'm at the same place as the op and have been a fan as long or longer and I'm so sure UK will not even make the NCAA tourney next year if Cal is still here that I doubt I'll watch any more UK basketball until he's gone. Rather than start a copycat thread I'll just use this one for my goodbye. This IS my last post until there is a new coach.

I've been here since the late 90's when the board was named something else and UK was recruiting a skinny kid from Compton named Tayshaun. Monitored this board in an on-campus computer lab between classes. Interacted with so many here over the last 25+ years and have a lot of good memories from this place. Arguments, celebrations, meet-ups to watch games at bars, SEC/NCAAT gatherings, banter about random BS. All of it.

Wanted Cal badly. Defended him like family. He resurrected UK from the ashes of Billy G's program, will always be thankful for that. Those first 6 years were a highlight that'll last a lifetime for any UK basketball fan, regardless of the outcome over the next 25+ years. Tried to remind myself not to take it for granted when UK was in its 4th Final Four in 6 years ... but still just 1 title after that 2015 loss was an enormous red flag that bothered me and grew larger over the next 4-5 years. Here we are.

It's over. We are at the point where IU was with Bobby Knight when he was beyond washed up and couldn't win anymore. That said, there's a huge financial hurdle. I'm so angry at the unconscionable contract the university gave Cal. I read it again last night, and as a lawyer, it's laughable. They gave away the keys to the kingdom of this storied program I was born and raised to love. This guy has failed horribly, and outside of sports, would have been fired for cause well before this year.

Cal said don't let others steal your joy. Well, Cal has done that for me and UK basketball. My mother is a UK grad from the 60's and she raised me to bleed blue. We would go to Midnight Madness together in the 90s and 00's. She is in her late 70's and cheers like a teenager. But over the last 3 years, she's given up. Thinks Cal has destroyed her precious program. She's so sick of his one and done NBA draft BS it's sad to watch how her joy has been stolen. Cal has taken that from us.

I'm not investing another dollar, nor will I give a single ounce of my energy about recruiting classes, Big Blue Madness, etc., until John Calipari is no longer UK's basketball coach. Some will say I'm not a "real fan" even though I was born in a UK onesie and have worshipped the program for 45 years. You're entitled to your opinion. But the time has come for me to focus on my kids, my job, and things other than letting UK basketball ruin my days, weekends, moments because of an overrated, arrogant, stubborn salesman destroying it all and talking down to fans like me who have pointed out the errors of his ways for years but he's too prideful to adjust because I'm just a dumb basketball benny to him.

I tried to hang here for the past 10 years because I love BBN and this board, as crazy as it may be. But I've been checked out since my dad and mom rolled over in their graves years ago because of Cal.

But I hate to hear so many of us finally tossing in the towel. It's no vindication for me to see how this is ending, even though I have said for so so very very long now that Kentucky was dying with Cal here. And frankly, who could've seen it in the immediate aftermath of 15' ? I may have been the only one that saw it then. That's why 19 was my endgame year. Everything since has been sad, futile, pathetic.

I'm in the same boat my friend, Godspeed to all of us. I truly hope this university can get the UConn coach.

He would be the greatest slam dunk hire ever at UK.

let's pray for the revival, if they stay with Cal, it's over permanently.

Just checking again after hearing this morning they got beat again. I was a fifty-year fanatic and stop watching after the Fox and Monk year. And I never thought I would ever do that. Really hope this is enough to get him fired.

I used to never miss games, not even a second. Even if Kentucky was being blasted, I'd watch til the end. This season, I'd need more than 10 fingers to count how many times I didn't watch a game or shut it off before it was over.

I couldn't tell you what happened in the UNCW game. Didn't watch. No idea what happened in the Kansas game, or how the St. John's game went into OT. No recollection of Stonehill game, didn't watch. Missed the second halves of Gonzaga, Florida at Rupp, first A&M game, and a multitude of others. But I don't care, it's not like I missed much.

Kentucky basketball is slowly becoming a chore to watch, and I hate it. Younger me, who'd be dying for game day, would be pissed at myself now for how much basketball I've missed. What a shame.

You won’t be back for years . Mitch won’t spend the money . The cheap one won’t even let the dance team attend the SEC tourney on most years much less come up with 33 million

I used to never miss games, not even a second. Even if Kentucky was being blasted, I'd watch til the end. This season, I'd need more than 10 fingers to count how many times I didn't watch a game or shut it off before it was over.

I couldn't tell you what happened in the UNCW game. Didn't watch. No idea what happened in the Kansas game, or how the St. John's game went into OT. No recollection of Stonehill game, didn't watch. Missed the second halves of Gonzaga, Florida at Rupp, first A&M game, and a multitude of others. But I don't care, it's not like I missed much.

Kentucky basketball is slowly becoming a chore to watch, and I hate it. Younger me, who'd be dying for game day, would be pissed at myself now for how much basketball I've missed. What a shame.
I missed a lot of games this year. If it was a midmajor? Pass. If it was a mid SEC team? Might watch. Vandy? Pass. I used to never miss a second of UK basketball. I ate it up. Idk, my fandom has just been sucked out of me. The magic feeling you felt, watching UK, the feeling of Rupp swallowing teams whole? It's gone.

I missed a lot of games this year. If it was a midmajor? Pass. If it was a mid SEC team? Might watch. Vandy? Pass. I used to never miss a second of UK basketball. I ate it up. Idk, my fandom has just been sucked out of me. The magic feeling you felt, watching UK, the feeling of Rupp swallowing teams whole? It's gone.
Yep. Can't watch Kentucky play Poop Universities because it's a waste of time and there's always the chance of an Evansville. Can't watch Kentucky play mid SEC teams because they'll play down to their opponent and find a way to lose. Can't watch big games because we all know how that will end 80% of the time. What's the freaking point?

Yep. Can't watch Kentucky play Poop Universities because it's a waste of time and there's always the chance of an Evansville. Can't watch Kentucky play mid SEC teams because they'll play down to their opponent and find a way to lose. Can't watch big games because we all know how that will end 80% of the time. What's the freaking point?
It's so boring watching UK. Becuase you know they're gonna lose in the dance. There's no hope, and no hope means watching games feels boring and pointless. It's really sad. I'm ready for some Football. Yeah, Stoops is a mid coach, but at least he coaches to win games, and not the NFL draft.

TLDR

I just wanted to say this to the posters on this site. Over the years you have become like a second family to me. Good and bad ones, that's what a family is. Hearing so many of you all saying you won't be back until he's gone, makes me sad...and ANGRY!! Not at you all, but at Cal and Mitch (as well as whoever is holding up the buyout because UK CAN afford it). I'm angry cause he is messing with my family. But I agree wholeheartedly with you. I can't stomach watching anymore. My health can't take it either. I know you're not supposed to take it so hard that it affects my health, but I can't help it. I have loved my teams, school and state since birth. I hope they do something soon so that we can all get back together. Until then, all you guys (and girls) rock!!!! Love you all and thanks.

If the OP is peacing out, can another lawyer answer a question about the buy out?

What is the point of a buyout if it can not be afforded? Why even have one?

Barnahrt has to go first, IMO. This contract is the only reason UK is in this position. Cal would have been fired after St Peters had this absurd contract never been drafted.

Agree with the sentiment RR.

I am the son of two UK alums who have been seasons ticket holders in football since Commonwealth opened and season ticket holders in basketball since Rupp opened. UK athletics are in my blood. I came home from the hospital at birth wearing blue. My mom went into labor with me just hours after sitting through a football loss in Commonwealth. We used to plan our weekends and evenings around Cats games.

I’ve been posting here since 2004. I signed up to mourn the UAB loss under a different name. I drunkenly posted a profane tirade after a loss in 2013 and was banned. I came back under this name in 2014. I was an ardent Cal supporter until 9-16. I became apathetic to him after St. Peter’s. I never really got into last year’s team. This year’s team sucked me back in, and then postseason comes and Lucy yanked the football away from Charlie Brown once again.

Fool me 11 times, shame on me. It’s not in me to not at least follow the team, but my excitement level is less than zero and I expect to win nothing of significance as long as Cal is still here.

I am done buying UK gear and will not attend another home game. My parents are in their late 70s. My dad was so upset last night he got choked up and said he was going to let his basketball tickets go and would stop going to the SEC Tournament. He’s been every year we were eligible to play in it since 1979.
Send this post to Mitch. A bunch like this will help.

Reactions: runt#69
Last game I watched live was the Fox/Monk/Bam team losing to UNC in the E8. I’d watch a replay if they won and ignore it if they lost.

This year I didn’t even watch replays. I just watched highlights. 🤷‍♂️ I was raised a UK fan. I remember Jim Master, Roger Harden, Ro Lock, Ed Davender, Winston Bennett…Kenny Sky, Melvin Turpin, Sam Bowie.

I will no longer give a single shit to even watch highlights until Calipari is gone.

My problem is I have a 9 year old son who’s obsessed with UK and I want foster that. We have such a great time bonding over UK, just like me and my dad did. We’re going to stay all in no matter who the coach is because it’s something we do together. But I feel really sad for him now. He’s gotten to see zero success in March since he started really watching. None at all.

This thread makes my heart ache! So many loyal posters here who cannot justify the ups and downs of this program.

It shouldn't be this way and shouldn't come close to having posters calling out the coach because of his refusal to admit its his practices that have got us in this situation.

I want a clean slate, a fresh approach, and be gone with the OAD. None of those guys will have their jerseys in the rafters, but this current coach probably will. It shouldn't have come to this, but when all your eggs are stacked up for a 6 game run, you have to pay for it when Game 1 becomes an epic failure.

For all those that missed the Pitino years, there may never be that much excitement ever again IMO. Very fortunate to be a fan of 4 NC teams and the next one happens to be harder to attain than we all thought.

This thread makes my heart ache! So many loyal posters here who cannot justify the ups and downs of this program.

It shouldn't be this way and shouldn't come close to having posters calling out the coach because of his refusal to admit its his practices that have got us in this situation.

I want a clean slate, a fresh approach, and be gone with the OAD. None of those guys will have their jerseys in the rafters, but this current coach probably will. It shouldn't have come to this, but when all your eggs are stacked up for a 6 game run, you have to pay for it when Game 1 becomes an epic failure.

For all those that missed the Pitino years, there may never be that much excitement ever again IMO. Very fortunate to be a fan of 4 NC teams and the next one happens to be harder to attain than we all thought.
Those years were so much fun, I don't know if I ever have heard Rupp Arena as loud as it was when Pitinos Bombinos beat Shaq and LSU.
It's not fun anymore, my beloved program is playing second fiddle to improving generational poverty and nothing more than an NBA farm team. No emphasis on the traditions or winning conference titles or being a legit threat for the whole thing.
The solution to this mess is simple, remove the coach and let's move on OR remove the athletic director or both.

Reactions: NociHTTP

You are one of my favorite posters, hate it has come to this and I completely understand, everything you said is truth. I have lost all confidence in Calipari, he is in charge and he knows it, one thing he cant be in charge of is all the respect he had built up that is gone.

I'm going to wait and see if Cal is gone or not but I'll also be out if he continues as coach. If he stays I'm sure next year will be a real down year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT