ADVERTISEMENT

Signing off and out until Cal is gone. Thanks to all.

Runnin'Ramel

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
I've been here since the late 90's when the board was named something else and UK was recruiting a skinny kid from Compton named Tayshaun. Monitored this board in an on-campus computer lab between classes. Interacted with so many here over the last 25+ years and have a lot of good memories from this place. Arguments, celebrations, meet-ups to watch games at bars, SEC/NCAAT gatherings, banter about random BS. All of it.

Wanted Cal badly. Defended him like family. He resurrected UK from the ashes of Billy G's program, will always be thankful for that. Those first 6 years were a highlight that'll last a lifetime for any UK basketball fan, regardless of the outcome over the next 25+ years. Tried to remind myself not to take it for granted when UK was in its 4th Final Four in 6 years ... but still just 1 title after that 2015 loss was an enormous red flag that bothered me and grew larger over the next 4-5 years. Here we are.

It's over. We are at the point where IU was with Bobby Knight when he was beyond washed up and couldn't win anymore. That said, there's a huge financial hurdle. I'm so angry at the unconscionable contract the university gave Cal. I read it again last night, and as a lawyer, it's laughable. They gave away the keys to the kingdom of this storied program I was born and raised to love. This guy has failed horribly, and outside of sports, would have been fired for cause well before this year.

Cal said don't let others steal your joy. Well, Cal has done that for me and UK basketball. My mother is a UK grad from the 60's and she raised me to bleed blue. We would go to Midnight Madness together in the 90s and 00's. She is in her late 70's and cheers like a teenager. But over the last 3 years, she's given up. Thinks Cal has destroyed her precious program. She's so sick of his one and done NBA draft BS it's sad to watch how her joy has been stolen. Cal has taken that from us.

I'm not investing another dollar, nor will I give a single ounce of my energy about recruiting classes, Big Blue Madness, etc., until John Calipari is no longer UK's basketball coach. Some will say I'm not a "real fan" even though I was born in a UK onesie and have worshipped the program for 45 years. You're entitled to your opinion. But the time has come for me to focus on my kids, my job, and things other than letting UK basketball ruin my days, weekends, moments because of an overrated, arrogant, stubborn salesman destroying it all and talking down to fans like me who have pointed out the errors of his ways for years but he's too prideful to adjust because I'm just a dumb basketball benny to him.

Signing off for what could be a couple of years .... it's been fun, guys.

ccc has driven me away
have not watched a complete game since the 2015 "giveaway" to Wi.
This year I actually watched part of a few games just to see Reed Sheppard, but this clown of a coach could not even see the talent in front of him. He insisted on playing Edwards, Wagner & Bradshaw, when it was obvious that they were way over rated. Sheppard was not flashy, or quick, but just a fundamental basketball player. Something that these other 3 were not and never will be. Disappointed that Sheppard had a bad game against Oakland, but IF uk had a coach that knew how to make adjustments or teach fundamentals or defense, maybe they would still be playing

I've been here since the late 90's when the board was named something else and UK was recruiting a skinny kid from Compton named Tayshaun. Monitored this board in an on-campus computer lab between classes. Interacted with so many here over the last 25+ years and have a lot of good memories from this place. Arguments, celebrations, meet-ups to watch games at bars, SEC/NCAAT gatherings, banter about random BS. All of it.

Wanted Cal badly. Defended him like family. He resurrected UK from the ashes of Billy G's program, will always be thankful for that. Those first 6 years were a highlight that'll last a lifetime for any UK basketball fan, regardless of the outcome over the next 25+ years. Tried to remind myself not to take it for granted when UK was in its 4th Final Four in 6 years ... but still just 1 title after that 2015 loss was an enormous red flag that bothered me and grew larger over the next 4-5 years. Here we are.

It's over. We are at the point where IU was with Bobby Knight when he was beyond washed up and couldn't win anymore. That said, there's a huge financial hurdle. I'm so angry at the unconscionable contract the university gave Cal. I read it again last night, and as a lawyer, it's laughable. They gave away the keys to the kingdom of this storied program I was born and raised to love. This guy has failed horribly, and outside of sports, would have been fired for cause well before this year.

Cal said don't let others steal your joy. Well, Cal has done that for me and UK basketball. My mother is a UK grad from the 60's and she raised me to bleed blue. We would go to Midnight Madness together in the 90s and 00's. She is in her late 70's and cheers like a teenager. But over the last 3 years, she's given up. Thinks Cal has destroyed her precious program. She's so sick of his one and done NBA draft BS it's sad to watch how her joy has been stolen. Cal has taken that from us.

I'm not investing another dollar, nor will I give a single ounce of my energy about recruiting classes, Big Blue Madness, etc., until John Calipari is no longer UK's basketball coach. Some will say I'm not a "real fan" even though I was born in a UK onesie and have worshipped the program for 45 years. You're entitled to your opinion. But the time has come for me to focus on my kids, my job, and things other than letting UK basketball ruin my days, weekends, moments because of an overrated, arrogant, stubborn salesman destroying it all and talking down to fans like me who have pointed out the errors of his ways for years but he's too prideful to adjust because I'm just a dumb basketball benny to him.

Bravo sir, your story could be my own 100% verbatim. I’m signing off too, guys. I know the Cal apologists will say “good riddance”, and that’s fine. Like Ramel, I’ve been on this board under various names for the last 25 years. Our program is unrecognizable now. If Cal is forced out, I’ll come back. Until then, it’s been a pleasure talking with all you REAL UK fans. As for the Cal slurpers… keep on slurpin’.

I got to the point you're at about 5-6 years ago

Not even cal can drive me from UK basketball.

Common sense might.

Felt the same way last night. Woke up pissed off this morning. We were here before him. We’ll be here after him. However long it takes. Same with Mitch. The sooner the better but they aren’t taking this from me.
Sorry folks, but he has already burned it to the ground. I've been watching UK basketball for more than four decades. This is not it.

To be honest I've been less of a fan the two years prior to this year anyway. I use to be a diehard but the two years prior to this year I became an occasional fan. This team was fun to watch if nothing else and brought me back into the fold only to watch them burnout at the end of the season. No more planning days around a UK game unless a change is made.

I’ve been watching Kentucky since 1966. This Hass to be one of the most disappointing years in Kentucky basketball that I have noticed. The potential was there we just couldn’t direct them in the right direction.

Reactions: Bterhune and KFuqua
When I saw Cal kneel during out national anthem, he took a piece of my allegiance to him.

Since then, it has only grown.

I don't agree with the way Pitino and Cal chastised fans, and I will not support this coach anymore. Enough of this self-absorbed promotion.

The UK fan base deserves better based on what they invest in their teams in Lexington, Nashville and EVERY NCAA tournament site.

We had the best seed ever. We had a week to prepare for a zone defense and a 3 point shooter who does one thing! Who is responsible for preparing our guys against a full team of 0 star players?

It's past embarrassing.

Great post, I did this four years ago, I never missed a game, throughout eight deployments overseas spanning decades, I would fund a way to at least track the scores, every chance I got. Didn’t watch one full game this season, didn’t watch last night. I’ve moved on, this is the first day I’ve posted on here in months.

Your story/post could actually speak for many of us UK fans.
Fans have expectations that at times seem demanding but that is only due to how we feel about our program. When you look back at how many good or great coaches who overstayed their time at a program, you can not help but see Coach Cal as one of those coaches.

I have a very nice basement that is a UK man cave. Everything in that room is something you do not see on a shelf in some store. When folks come over, they marvel at everything acting as if they were going down memory lane.
My whiskey bottle collection alone is special. I have two daughters and every time I purchased a bottle, I would always try to get two of them thinking one day they will inherit all this.

Last night as I sat down there at 2 am watching TV, I was thinking about something I had thought of a couple years ago and that is, sell everything UK and give my basement back to my wife.
I had a conversation with a man a couple years ago who was into street rods. He said something to me that I thought about a couple time and last night it really sank in.
He said to me that what him and I do is dying out; having a hobby that is generational in nature but this generation does not care about the things we did and those handed down to us. He went on to say all of us like ourselves are older and when we die, our passion dies as well as those standing in line to carry it on.

I will be thinking about selling all my UK stuff in the next few weeks. I will still be a UK fan, just not have my entire basement look like a UK museum. Hell, I have a set of derringers in a super nice frame hanging on my wall that one is blue/white and one red/black. The plaque says, "The Battle In the Bluegrass" with a UK and UL emblem on it. This was made my me a few years ago. This was done professionally and not some cheap BS guns duck taped to a frame.
As things are going, in a few years fans will not want stuff like this so why not cash in when I can.
Thanks Coach Cal for being a termite eating away at my passion.
I do feel your pain. UK basketball is special and for those who think different, go be a UL fan.

Come on fellas, this is a dark time right now for this program. We need all hands on deck if we're ever going to get this fool out of Lexington. Stop buying tickets, and merch, tell them to cram their NIL, but let your voice be heard.

Won’t exit the board, but won’t be watching anymore games until cal is gone. As fun as this team was I really didn’t enjoy this season as much as I should have due to poor lineups, poor play, inexplicable losses and of course knew cal would screw it all up in March. Not doing it again next year, it’s sabbatical time.

I feel the same. It's not fun anymore. I love the program. I'm a UK graduate and lifelong fan. I stopped going to the SEC tourney because of Cal. I gave up season tickets due to the mediocrity that has encased the program.
The powers that be don't care. Eli and the board don't care. Barnhart should be fired right with Calipari. Clean house.
It's not worth me losing my sanity to watch the definition of insanity continue. Rinse,lather and repeat is all we see and hear from the egotistical asshole. The program and its traditions have been erased and we are no longer a blueblood or even a gold standard. I can't support John Calipari as coach of my beloved UK men's basketball team. I just can't do it anymore.
It's past time for change. It has to happen.

Followed the Cats since 1952. I’ve been done with Cal ever since his “greatest night in the history of Kentucky basketball” comment.

Cal never been about the program. Not even one day.

And that’s not even looking at his coaching. In his entire tenure at UK, how many of his season ending losses has his team been the favorite?

Whether it is 3 days or 3 weeks, I think it is beyond obvious at this point that a change has to be made. We simply can't go into the 2024-2025 season with John Calipari still on the sidelines. Buyout or no buyout, the time has come.

I don't see anyone debating that.

At the same time, I think there is still a pretty good chance Calipari returns. Some fans will have a decision to make if that happens.

Im supporting UK one way or the other, hoping for the best.

Well said OP. Cal has stolen from me something I never would have dreamed possible. My passion for UK. Mine left roughly two years ago though. I no longer hungered for the next season to start. Gone are the days if I missed watching the game I felt like I really lost something. UK losing a game affected me for weeks. Now we see clearly our team is no longer feared. Oakland, a peon of a team, talked crap and I knew they could back it up. That alone should be ludicrous but it is the sad state of UK basketball.

For me the things I have to cherish in life can be counted on two hands. Cal has ripped one from that list. It hurts.

Plane Airport GIF by APM

I'm 60 years old and have been a devoted Kentucky for as long as I can remember. Started listening on the radio, occasionally getting a broadcast on television. Then buying cable packages so I could watch games, etc. I love my Wildcats in a way that my wife and other people who aren't from Kentucky just can't understand. After last night, I decided that I'm done until Calipari is gone. He's an arrogant idiot who has no idea of how to coach the Wildcats and it's well past time for him to go. Until he's gone, they will get nothing more from me. I just can't keep doing this to myself; I just sat there stunned and upset last night and I'm still struggling with it today.

I'm hoping that Cal will be gone before today is done, but I'm not sure that it will happen.

Been a fan since the early Joe B days. I love this program. At one point I would drive to a spot just to listen to Cawood call a game on am radio. No cable or satellite in those days. Yes, I'm that old. Appreciate what Cal has done but it's past time for change.

Good or bad.

It's time.

I feel like this a Gandalf leaving Aragorn, to search for help, moment for UK basketball.

A lot of OGs on this forum, all across the BBN land, are rolling. Things are in dire straits. It is not an abandoning, but realization, that times are dire, and things must be done.

OP, OGs, BBN, boosters, casual fans, hardcore fans, decision makers, writers, talkers and personalities...ride out, the kingdom needs saving.

A few shall stay behind to hold the fort as best we can.

At first light, on the fifth day, at dawn we will look to the east for your coming and the triumphant return of University of Kentucky Basketball.

I've been a huge fan for 50 years or so. We didn't have a lot growing up, but I had UK basketball. Spent my own $$$ to buy a "nice" radio to listen to games and a few years later a 10" Black & White TV to watch the few games that were on TV. I was in heaven.

I appreciate Cals good years, what he has done for the state, and keeping his nose and the program clean. But, it's time. I really hope I can get my excitement back when he's gone. Until then, this post is about as much time/effort I'll put into UK basketball.

I couldn't have said it any better. You just described me. I am at a loss.

My beloved Kentucky is now not what I was born into. I can remember my family watching the games together then discussing it over supper. Same with recruiting, etc. We had a pair of season tickets that at the beginning of the season, we would hold a mini family lottery to see who got to go to which games. It was fun. And on senior night, when they would play "My Old Kentucky Home", there was not a dry eye in the house. We were proud, not just of the team, but the school and the state. Now, I am lost.

Please, to whoever matters, get rid of Calipari. He has destroyed it all.

Me and my buddies was right there with you from start to finish. Still with you now. Hope to see you again very soon, but take care of you and yours in the meantime!

I agree with your view completely. I've been a fan since 1957 and I'm done until Cal is gone!!!! It can't happen too soon!

Going to hope your absence isn't long but I get it. Man do I get where you are coming from. I banned myself from watching after the UF home loss. Just couldn't take the inept coaching malpractice. Hope this happens sooner to get you back. Enjoy your life until then.

This.

And that.

"Those first 6 years were a highlight that'll last a lifetime for any UK basketball fan, regardless of the outcome over the next 25+ years. Tried to remind myself not to take it for granted when UK was in its 4th Final Four in 6 years ... but still just 1 title after that 2015 loss was an enormous red flag that bothered me and grew larger over the next 4-5 years. Here we are."

"I'm not investing another dollar, nor will I give a single ounce of my energy about recruiting classes, Big Blue Madness, etc., until John Calipari is no longer UK's basketball coach."

Agree with the sentiment RR.

I am the son of two UK alums who have been seasons ticket holders in football since Commonwealth opened and season ticket holders in basketball since Rupp opened. UK athletics are in my blood. I came home from the hospital at birth wearing blue. My mom went into labor with me just hours after sitting through a football loss in Commonwealth. We used to plan our weekends and evenings around Cats games.

I’ve been posting here since 2004. I signed up to mourn the UAB loss under a different name. I drunkenly posted a profane tirade after a loss in 2013 and was banned. I came back under this name in 2014. I was an ardent Cal supporter until 9-16. I became apathetic to him after St. Peter’s. I never really got into last year’s team. This year’s team sucked me back in, and then postseason comes and Lucy yanked the football away from Charlie Brown once again.

Fool me 11 times, shame on me. It’s not in me to not at least follow the team, but my excitement level is less than zero and I expect to win nothing of significance as long as Cal is still here.

I am done buying UK gear and will not attend another home game. My parents are in their late 70s. My dad was so upset last night he got choked up and said he was going to let his basketball tickets go and would stop going to the SEC Tournament. He’s been every year we were eligible to play in it since 1979.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT