ADVERTISEMENT

Wow this is analytics to another level …Cal getting serious about improved shooting

Seems like overkill and an ineffective tool IMO. Shooting is repetition and feel, last thing you need is thoughts in your head about arch, more left, etc while going up for a shot. Akin to swinging a golf club, the more you think the worse it gets.

Seems like overkill and an ineffective tool IMO. Shooting is repetition and feel, last thing you need is thoughts in your head about arch, more left, etc while going up for a shot. Akin to swinging a golf club, the more you think the worse it gets.
Arc is hugely important, and very much under addressed especially by todays players.

Do you even watch professional golf? There’s not a tour pro that doesn’t use TrackMan for immediate feedback to make real time adjustments to their swing. There’s a world of difference between kicking it back with a case of beer and hacking it around at your local course and golf played at the highest level. If these guys can get similar feedback shooting a basketball from tech, it’s an awesome tool to have.

Arc is hugely important, and very much under addressed especially by todays players.
yep
the less Arc the smaller the circle
This seems like a nice tool. But I'll respectfully suggest a cheap alternative:

Recruit shooters to go along with your athletes. Just a thought.
with NIL that is not a cheap option anymore

Do you even watch professional golf? There’s not a tour pro that doesn’t use TrackMan for immediate feedback to make real time adjustments to their swing. There’s a world of difference between kicking it back with a case of beer and hacking it around at your local course and golf played at the highest level. If these guys can get similar feedback shooting a basketball from tech, it’s an awesome tool to have.
Probably get in their head and they will not be able to shoot a lick.

Did you even play basketball? Shooting is not that hard, as I stated it’s repetition and feel. Thousands upon thousands of players have played this game without a computer module telling them what they were doing wrong on their shot.

Strongly strongly disagree. This sounds like something an old school coach would say. And then they'd promptly start 2 bigs, feed the post, and shoot 8 3's per game. Get with the times.

Did you even play basketball? Shooting is not that hard, as I stated it’s repetition and feel. Thousands upon thousands of players have played this game without a computer module telling them what they were doing wrong on their shot.
Shooting is hrd for some when you are shooting it the wrong way. Using analytics to show what you are doing wrong so that you can practice shooting it more effectively is how you improve your shot. Shooting 1000 shots the wrong way will not make you a better shooter...

Reeves has a very unorthodox shooting stroke, he seems to shoot it from his chest with his hands on the sides of the ball. It amazes me that he is such a high percentage shooter. My worry here is, this new analitical approach might lead the staff to start tinkering with Reeves' form. Please don't do that.

If this is the same system they used on CJ last year, it needs to be scrapped. I'd rather the coaches beat the players with a stick after misses than use whatever system CJ used last year

Reeves has a very unorthodox shooting stroke, he seems to shoot it from his chest with his hands on the sides of the ball. It amazes me that he is such a high percentage shooter. My worry here is, this new analitical approach might lead the staff to start tinkering with Reeves' form. Please don't do that.

If this is the same system they used on CJ last year, it needs to be scrapped. I'd rather the coaches beat the players with a stick after misses than use whatever system CJ used last year
CJs problems were injury related, not because of a shooting machine. His body has been broken the last 3 years, legs, ribs, fingers. His struggles are easily traced back to those injuries but let’s blame Cal for everything

Strongly strongly disagree. This sounds like something an old school coach would say. And then they'd promptly start 2 bigs, feed the post, and shoot 8 3's per game. Get with the times.
BS, I’m nothing but a 3 point shooter and it should be a significant part of the game. If kids worked on shooting as much as they do practicing their dunking skills they wouldn’t need a computer telling them what they are doing wrong. I’ve sat in a gym and did nothing but shoot for about an hour or two per day and got crazy ass good shooting the ball and this was in the 80’s.

Shooting is hrd for some when you are shooting it the wrong way. Using analytics to show what you are doing wrong so that you can practice shooting it more effectively is how you improve your shot. Shooting 1000 shots the wrong way will not make you a better shooter...
Also hard when they don’t practice shooting and too busy practicing dunking styles. Watching players shoot 50% from the free throw line is laughable. If a kid can’t shoot by the time he’s reached college age basketball he’s just never going to be a shooter no matter what he goes through. Slight improvement perhaps but one isn’t going from a 25% 3 point% to 40% because of analytics.

Also hard when they don’t practice shooting and too busy practicing dunking styles. Watching players shoot 50% from the free throw line is laughable. If a kid can’t shoot by the time he’s reached college age basketball he’s just never going to be a shooter no matter what he goes through. Slight improvement perhaps but one isn’t going from a 25% 3 point% to 40% because of analytics.
This is true. It is like hitters in baseball. Some hitters are simply better than others. Shooting improvement can happen, of course, but rarely is it ever drastic.

Based on what I saw in games on TV, I think Wagner needs to increase the arc in his shot.
I assume he is already working on it.
I very much agree. That was my concern watching him in the McD game as well.
Edwards looked better though.

Reactions: megablue
BS, I’m nothing but a 3 point shooter and it should be a significant part of the game. If kids worked on shooting as much as they do practicing their dunking skills they wouldn’t need a computer telling them what they are doing wrong. I’ve sat in a gym and did nothing but shoot for about an hour or two per day and got crazy ass good shooting the ball and this was in the 80’s.
Again, you have the wrong mentality. Shooting it incorrectly 1000 times does not improve your shot. Using the analytics to improve your shot works. Practice does not always make you better. Practice of perfection makes you better and using analytics to tell you that your shot is too flat or you are releasing it at the wrong point in your jump, etc... is what makes you better. MKG can shoot all he wants but unless he corrects his form, he is not going to become a better shooter...

Many professional basketball players get better as shooters once they leave college. Many players who never shoot from 3 in college have become effective 3-point shooters through hard work...

I guess you know more than 26 NBA teams.

I am not certain of it, but I'm inclined to think I'd rather have a consistent shooter with a slightly lower percentage than a streakier shooter with a higher percentage. Maybe something like a solid 36% guy versus a 40% guy that is inconsistent. I'm hoping that this software device can help provide consistency for our guys. We've seen what abysmal shooting nights from our better guys have done to us in the tournament, unfortunately. Can't teach "clutch" shooting, but maybe you can the machine can help ...

Many professional basketball players get better as shooters once they leave college. Many players who never shoot from 3 in college have become effective 3-point shooters through hard work...
Of course, through practice and repetition as they spend more time practicing their craft. Sorry but not buying into the computer analytics garbage either way. You don’t need a computer to tell you why you missed a shot. It’s also not going to tell you how wrong or correct your shooting form is. Certainly can help with release points but do you really need a computer to tell you that your release point was too low? It’s amazing anyone was ever able to effectively play any sport before computer analytics came along (smh).

I am not certain of it, but I'm inclined to think I'd rather have a consistent shooter with a slightly lower percentage than a streakier shooter with a higher percentage. Maybe something like a solid 36% guy versus a 40% guy that is inconsistent. I'm hoping that this software device can help provide consistency for our guys. We've seen what abysmal shooting nights from our better guys have done to us in the tournament, unfortunately. Can't teach "clutch" shooting, but maybe you can the machine can help ...
I agree, but also, my opinion is, I would bring in as many elite shooters as possible so there are options if someone is off, because even as consistent as Steph Curry us, he has off games.

Just like baseball players knowing they batting average, most basketball players know their shooting average and attempts. Like the player batting 400 for the season he know going 2 for 3 or 0 for 3 will do. Most kids don't care anyways because of aau type play.

CJs problems were injury related, not because of a shooting machine. His body has been broken the last 3 years, legs, ribs, fingers. His struggles are easily traced back to those injuries but let’s blame Cal for everything
well, you implied that CJ's shooting struggles were because of a system implemented by the coaches so I assumed you were blaming the coaches. If not, my bad, but it's pretty much the tone of our fan base to blame every single negative on Cal lately. It's just become extremely annoying. CJ had terrible luck with injuries the last 3yrs and that was going back to Iowa, sometimes it's just bad luck and coaches can't do anything about it

well, you implied that CJ's shooting struggles were because of a system implemented by the coaches so I assumed you were blaming the coaches. If not, my bad, but it's pretty much the tone of our fan base to blame every single negative on Cal lately. It's just become extremely annoying. CJ had terrible luck with injuries the last 3yrs and that was going back to Iowa, sometimes it's just bad luck and coaches can't do anything about it
Yeah, I get that the negativity against Cal is exhausting, but Cal has brought that upon himself and he doesn't seem to care how we feel.

But my point stands about CJ. He wasn't injured the entire season, but his shooting sucked drom begging to end. It can't all be blamed on injuries.

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
EVERY 3pt shooter is streaky. The problem is when you only have 1 of them, so even when he is "off" he still is forced to keep putting them up, rather than go to someone else.

Yeah, I get that the negativity against Cal is exhausting, but Cal has brought that upon himself and he doesn't seem to care how we feel.

But my point stands about CJ. He wasn't injured the entire season, but his shooting sucked drom begging to end. It can't all be blamed on injuries.
I agree with you. CJ's shooting was disappointing from the start and he never really showed consistency. I was as surprised as everyone. I was really rooting for him to be the shooter we were expecting him to be.

EVERY 3pt shooter is streaky. The problem is when you only have 1 of them, so even when he is "off" he still is forced to keep putting them up, rather than go to someone else.
I cannot disagree with you, of course, but both Grady and TyTy were awful at the same time against St. Peter's. Perhaps it was contagious. Hopefully, we can come up with more consistency throughout our artillery ... especially in THE BIG GAMES !!! We simply HAVE to !!! GO CATS !!!

Last edited:
I personally like it. The real time feedback is the most important part IMO. If you watch a few videos online of people using it I think it makes more sense how it helps build muscle memory for trying to hit an angle of depression between 43-47% on your shot. I thought it was interesting too where I read that 91% of NBA players consistently have that angle on their shots and only 8% of high school players do.

I think the bigger point is that we’re getting to the point where machine learning and machine vision are getting so good that we’ll see more and more usage in sports. I think it could work really well for certain situations, ESPECIALLY the dreaded charge/block call. Accelerometers are already ubiquitous in phones and cars. Put them in the players’ shoes and combine them with machine vision and train it on millions of hours of video.

Reactions: megablue
How did guys like Larry Bird ever shoot the ball so well before analytics software? LOL!
There is such a thing as over-thinking the problem.
Give me an old school coach who can help a kid with his physical mechanics...getting feet and hips set/square to the basket, good lift and straight back, bent elbow and a snap follow through...along with helping him get to a good place mentally with his shot. When mechanics are good and you have the proper mental focus, it then comes down to repetition and muscle memory.
Shooting the ball should be second nature, not a "event".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT